The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 08:34:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Top Hat  (Read 1623 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« on: June 02, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »

You might find it interesting to know that at Lund University in Sweden, when you recieve your doctorate you wear a top hat. I think the buckle on it varies according to your field.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:53:59 pm »

Very nice.

Do you happen to know where one might purchase such a hat?   Grin

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

I saw a second hand shop was selling one, though it was in a bad condition. Also it was in Lund.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »

Hmm, maybe I should chat to my Swedish friends.

Many thanks for posting.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »

They wore hats similar to this in Elizabethan times.  This hat would be easy to make.  The main part is an oval (top) and a rectangle (sides).  The brim is an oval polo-mint-shape.  The basic shape could be made out of cardboard and glued or stapled together (or for a more permanent hat use pelmet buckram wired around the edge with millinery wire).  The fabric cover is a circle large enough so that the diameter goes over the side-top-side with a bit spare to tuck underneath.

The fabric is pleated regularly around the sides to get that look.  I expect that someone could do the maths and work out exactly how deep the pleats should be, something to do with pi.  I would do it by trial and error.  Once the top and sides are covered and the brim is covered the two parts are put together.  A ribbon of some sort can be used to cover up the join.

The joy of making one's own hat is that the covering fabric can be of any sort, any colour, and it costs very little.  This style would look great in brocade or shot silk.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »

The finns have us outclassed. When graduating they get not only a top hat but also a sword.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 11:17:10 pm »

It actually looks like a procession of witchfinders. If only it were so...
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 11:24:06 pm »

Wow!  Sure beats what we do over here.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:39:51 pm »

Just think how good an Oxbridge doctorate outfit would look with a sword!!
I must pass this on to the UNE graduation Committee - I think I would look pretty good all done up in scarlet, and with a sword!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »

I wouldn't look so sad and glum if I got a top hat and a sword!!
Half of them seem to not care.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

Hmmm, now where did I put that prospectus and 'teach yourself Finnish' CD?

Just think how good an Oxbridge doctorate outfit would look with a sword!!
I must pass this on to the UNE graduation Committee - I think I would look pretty good all done up in scarlet, and with a sword!

Well there's a story of an oxbridge student who annoyed the invigilators at one of his exams by (after careful study of the college's rules) asking for a sherry, which then had to be provided. That said the staff got their own back later the same day when they fined him 5 guineas for walking across the quad without his sword.  Grin

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:34:56 am »

The finns have us outclassed. When graduating they get not only a top hat but also a sword.

"get a tophat and sword"?   I expect that they have to put out-of-pocket for the entire outfit themselves - and thus the glum looks:
"Kricky, I could've made a downpayment on a SAAB but instead I have to pay for this crappy hat and geeky outfit that I will only wear once.... I just hope this sword stands up to Saturday LARPing"

FYI, just to babble aimlessly , US Marine Corps officers also have to purchase their own Wilkinson Dress Swords, and Officer's Sidearm,  both of which have to be up to field use; additionally as part of the officer exams ( if you will ) they must demonstrate proficiency with both ! I met a Marine Grunt getting put through college at Purdue in the OCS. He joined the fencing club and became one of only a few taking up Saber so he could pass the sword-fighting exam; He was already a crack shot with his 1911 but joined the pistol team too.

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 10:55:53 am »

Elizabethan times.  This hat would be easy to make.  The main part is an oval (top) and a rectangle (sides).  The brim is an oval polo-mint-shape.  The basic shape could be made out of cardboard and glued or stapled together (or for a more permanent hat use pelmet buckram wired around the edge with millinery wire).  The fabric cover is a circle large enough so that the diameter goes over the side-top-side with a bit spare to tuck underneath.

The fabric is pleated regularly around the sides to get that look.  I expect that someone could do the maths and work out exactly how deep the pleats should be, something to do with pi.  I would do it by trial and error.  Once the top and sides are covered and the brim is covered the two parts are put together.  A ribbon of some sort can be used to cover up the join.

The joy of making one's own hat is that the covering fabric can be of any sort, any colour, and it costs very little.  This style would look great in brocade or shot silk

I imagine the pi calculation is based on the circumference of both hat and fabric at top and base of the sides. With almost straight sides the pleat would be deeper at the bottom than the top. To get a smooth finish on the top the top piece would need to be circular. The more ovoid in shape the more excess fabric needs to be pleated in, almost certainly making an uneven finish; particularly with thick fabrics. Could look pretty in silks and satin though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:33:23 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 08:55:32 pm »

Doing a very limited, very quick search, I could not find when the tradition of wearing the top hats began. One might safely assume sometime in the 18th or 19th Centuries, but we all know the adage regarding the transitive properties of the individual, the observer, and Equus africanus asinus.

If someone were to verify that this tradition dates at least to the Victorian/Edwardian eras, I would suggest to the moderators that this thread properly belongs in "Anatomical" rather than "Off Topic".

Thoughts?

Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:16:43 pm »

Leaving this here until date confirmation.

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 01:17:31 am »

Thanks!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:09:28 pm »

well then. I need to start saving to do my master in sweden, or finland, then. (and then hope they offer the master I want to do)

I struggle and arise
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 03:57:56 pm »

Those look as if they are of the "blocked" felt* variety to me (mainly because of the sloped sides and the -rather disturbing- regularity of the brim curl from hat to hat in the photo). It thus may be possible to order them from teh people who make them. I'd contact Elope or othe rcostumery companies to see. Might save one a truckload of shimoleans.

*basically mass-produced; stamped and diecut from a section of specially-prepared felt

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 08:14:29 pm »

Top hats were introduced in the late 18th century I believe.  One man wore one walking down an London street and, so the newspapers said, this caused a riot.

http://the-history-girls.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mr-hetherington-and-his-shocking-top.html
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:09 am »

I'm finding lots about who gets to wear them, when and where, proper storage, and all that, but nothing on when the tradition was started at Lund (or any of the other Swedish and Finnish universities).

Anyone else having any better luck?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »

That doctors are given special hats is a tradition going back centuries. It was in the 1800s that it began to resemble a tophat though.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »

It actually looks like a procession of witchfinders. If only it were so...

If they were, they're short about 50 people and woefully underarmed. Because this witch has a broom mounted Gatling gun....

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:10 pm »

That doctors are given special hats is a tradition going back centuries. It was in the 1800s that it began to resemble a tophat though.

Excellent! Do you have a source I can use in my argument?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:38 pm »

The argument that if a tradition existed in victorian times it must be steampunk? Try this:

http://www.hattmakarna.se/hattar/doktorshattar/

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 07:14:37 pm »

No, my argument that this tradition existed within the real-world historical time frame and thus should be moved out of "Off Topic". If I'm going to say they were doing this sometime between c.1790 to c.1914 I need evidence to back up that claim.

(By the way, since this thread discusses clothing, if I can support the claim I'll recommend the topic be moved to "Anatomical".)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: