Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 68095 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~
« Reply #450 on: December 02, 2021, 10:52:02 am »
Haggis Pakora

Does the recipe require free-range haggis? Or is farm bred haggis alright?
When it comes time to hurl the haggis, those look like they'd hurt.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #451 on: December 02, 2021, 02:15:26 pm »
Haggis Pakora

Does the recipe require free-range haggis? Or is farm bred haggis alright?
When it comes time to hurl the haggis, those look like they'd hurt.

When it comes to farming, I don't buy from sources that perpetrate animal abuse. Haggis are being considered for recognition as sentient creatures. There's no distinction between Highland Haggis and Punjabi Haggis.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2021, 09:09:33 pm »
OK, this is an interesting one and with a fun name.

Kaiserschmarrn or Kaiserschmarren, translates to "Kaiser's Mess.

...Kaiserschmarren is a light, caramelized pancake made from a sweet batter using flour, eggs, sugar, salt, and milk, baked in butter. Kaiserschmarren can be prepared in different ways. When making Kaiserschmarren the egg whites are usually separated from the yolk and beaten until stiff; then the flour and the yolks are mixed with sugar, and the other ingredients are added, including: nuts, cherries, plums, apple jam, or small pieces of apple, or caramelized raisins and slivered almonds.

...The pancake is split with two forks into pieces while frying and usually sprinkled with powdered sugar, then served hot with apple or plum sauce or various fruit compotes, including plum, lingonberry, strawberry, or apple. Kaiserschmarren is eaten like a dessert, or it can also be eaten for lunch at tourist places like mountainside restaurants and taverns in the Austrian Alps, as a filling meal.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 12:13:20 am by J. Wilhelm »

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #453 on: December 12, 2021, 02:10:17 am »
I have a recipe for that in some old cookbook - it was just called 'German Pancake'. You begin cooking it in a frying pan, then put the frying pan in the oven to finish it. It puffs up then collapses. It is quite nice, but uses a lot of eggs and needs two heated appliances, so heavy on power-usage. It is also quite heavy on the stomach - probably necessary in a German winter!

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
  • I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:40:02 pm by Mercury Wells »
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2022, 03:22:02 am »
Sev fried noodles from Gujarat India & with pictures

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2022, 02:18:12 pm »
Sev fried noodles from Gujarat India & with pictures

I remember seeing something similar, but not from India, but rather from the Far East.

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 07:53:44 pm by Mercury Wells »

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2022, 04:59:18 am »
Tempura soft boiled eggs.

In case that people thought I was joking about Tempura Soft boiled Eggs. Here you are:- from 27:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfodTXiQ-w&list=RDCMUCsyzqlcYZJUdAV2D9DXjp6g&index=5#

I hope you'll enjoy the many other delightful treats & surprises on offer, while whatching the whole series.?  ;D

BTW...My usual disclaimer, I do not have any assocation with either the establishments involved or the content maker.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:04:30 am by Mercury Wells »

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #459 on: May 27, 2022, 11:01:57 am »
Crubeens

Irish dish of Pig's calves &/or feet.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #460 on: May 27, 2022, 01:14:32 pm »

In case that people thought I was joking about Tempura Soft boiled Eggs. Here you are:- from 27:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfodTXiQ-w&list=RDCMUCsyzqlcYZJUdAV2D9DXjp6g&index=5#

I hope you'll enjoy the many other delightful treats & surprises on offer, while whatching the whole series.?  ;D

BTW...My usual disclaimer, I do not have any assocation with either the establishments involved or the content maker.

It's all fried!  All of it!  ;D

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2022, 07:05:58 pm »

It's all fried!  All of it!  ;D

Oh BTB the content maker has added more videos (I haven't watched them yet).

SoniaRobles

• Banned user
  • Swab
« Reply #462 on: July 19, 2022, 05:59:12 pm »
What to cook on a campfire? I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation, but I have to leave in a week and I just don't understand anything about camping.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #463 on: July 19, 2022, 06:08:12 pm »
What to cook on a campfire? I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation, but I have to leave in a week and I just don't understand anything about camping.

You can basically cook anything that needs to be grilled, fried or boiled.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #464 on: July 19, 2022, 08:15:44 pm »
Foods that go well with the taste of smoke, so meats, beans, cheeses and marshmallows.

Pasta is good as it cooks quickly and needs little attention. Baking potatoes [wrap in foil and put by the edge of the campfire till they're soft].

Lightweight, high energy foods if you're hiking.

And last but not least, Cobber's Caramel. Take one tin of sweetened condensed milk, put it in the dying embers of the fire or by the side of a burning fire at the end of the evening. In the morning open the tin and find it full of the most potent, addictive sugar hit known to humanity. [Just be careful to not put it in the fire because if it gets very hot it will explode]
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #465 on: July 19, 2022, 08:16:55 pm »
This is a steampunk forum.

There is only one correct answer.

Tea.

MercedesOlson

• Swab
« Reply #466 on: July 21, 2022, 10:52:50 pm »
More often than not, fans of hunting, fishing, and marathon hiking on rough terrain need trivial warming. Therefore, the most common camping dish, of course, is soup. Forest or river soup at https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L- is everything you can easily get on the road, take from home, as well as everything you can shoot or catch. There are a great many recipes for such soups. There are absolutely no secrets to how to prepare first courses in nature.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2022, 03:48:54 am »
Foods that go well with the taste of smoke, so meats, beans, cheeses and marshmallows.

Pasta is good as it cooks quickly and needs little attention. Baking potatoes [wrap in foil and put by the edge of the campfire till they're soft].

Lightweight, high energy foods if you're hiking.

And last but not least, Cobber's Caramel. Take one tin of sweetened condensed milk, put it in the dying embers of the fire or by the side of a burning fire at the end of the evening. In the morning open the tin and find it full of the most potent, addictive sugar hit known to humanity. [Just be careful to not put it in the fire because if it gets very hot it will explode]

You just described the "modern" way to make the Latin American/ Mexican Dulce de Leche!

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #468 on: August 05, 2022, 12:42:41 pm »
Corn smut AKA "Huitacoche" or "Mexican Truffle"*

Originally taken from here

*other recipes are available.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:44:33 pm by Mercury Wells »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #469 on: August 06, 2022, 03:42:56 am »

We've talked about it elsewhere in the forum, but I don't remember placing it here. It's indeed sauteed. It's called Mexican Truffle for a reason. It's a horrible sight indeed. But it's priced for it's taste.

I mostly know it for being used for stuffing in savory French style crepes (Crepas de Huitlacoche), a dish invented in Mexico by a chef around the 1950s if I'm not mistaken. The Huitlacoche is sauteed together with tomato, Serrano hot peppers, onion and zucchini (courgette).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EbgbGF8qeNA
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 03:50:36 am by J. Wilhelm »

Mercury Wells

• Immortal
« Reply #470 on: August 06, 2022, 05:45:27 pm »

We've talked about it elsewhere in the forum, but I don't remember placing it here. It's indeed sauteed. It's called Mexican Truffle for a reason. It's a horrible sight indeed. But it's priced for it's taste.

I mostly know it for being used for stuffing in savory French style crepes (Crepas de Huitlacoche), a dish invented in Mexico by a chef around the 1950s if I'm not mistaken. The Huitlacoche is sauteed together with tomato, Serrano hot peppers, onion and zucchini (courgette).

You did mention it twice, once in "Veganpunk" and again in "Food! Food! Food! The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Tasty steampunk treats and drinks"

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #471 on: August 07, 2022, 07:43:41 pm »

You did mention it twice, once in "Veganpunk" and again in "Food! Food! Food! The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Tasty steampunk treats and drinks"

It's hard to get here, though. So I haven't had a chance to do anything with it. Things like Huitlacoche and Zucchini (courgette) flowers only come in a can if you can find it, and I was sorely disappointed with the courgette flowers I found - because you need to sautee them fresh with a third ingredient which is also hard to get, Epazote (Mexican Tea)

Well, here's something I think I haven't posted:

In Latin cooking there's a fair amount of recipes that involve sauteing finely chopped vegetables and spices, usually including onions and garlic, which are s type of multi use seasoning called "sofrito," and it's the base for many dishes in Latin America. Sofrito, as the name implies is fried by default, so maybe I should start describing dishes based on this tradition as well.

Epazote is used in several types of dishes as part of the sofrito, and it's known to be used to make "Mexican Fried Rice" Also known as "Mexican White Rice." It's also used in a dish called "Requesón con Epazote" (Ricotta Cheese with Mexican Tea), which is something I should try, as It looks very easy to do.

(No translation needed for the first video)

Typical Mexican white rice with onions garlic, and Epazote.
(a very simple version, can have many more ingredients)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIwj40UfPo

Requesón (Ricotta Cheese) with Epazote
(Used with refried beans or as filling for quesadillas)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDhqcab9rU
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:16:10 pm by J. Wilhelm »