The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 10:47:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 60683 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2021, 01:13:38 am »

We love Okra - used to grow it in the vegie garden on the farm. It looks a bit like a spindly hibiscus plant. You let it flower, then pick the seedpods before they get too old and tough and stringy.

I have to say - I never used to read this thread, but have been enjoying it! And now Okonomiyaki is part of our regular meal plan...
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #426 on: May 13, 2021, 02:02:46 am »

We love Okra ...

To each his own. I tried okra....I wanted to like it. Every time I ate it I wanted to like it. Never happened.
I don't hate it (or gag on it). I'd have no trouble eating it if I were served it (and I didn't have a choice).
But it's pretty close to the bottom of my vegetables preference list.  Tongue  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:04:59 am by Deimos » Logged

"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #427 on: May 13, 2021, 03:41:22 pm »

We love Okra ...

To each his own. I tried okra....I wanted to like it. Every time I ate it I wanted to like it. Never happened.
I don't hate it (or gag on it). I'd have no trouble eating it if I were served it (and I didn't have a choice).
But it's pretty close to the bottom of my vegetables preference list.  Tongue  

Ha, ha! I was introduced to okra at Luby's cafeteria. There's a reason okra is deep fried. Because without that treatment it's just bland and slimy. Though the one at the cafeteria did have an interesting herbal taste that blended with the better. Not my favorite, but it was passable. I'd much rather have a small dish of corn with my "Lou Ann Platter"

Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #428 on: May 14, 2021, 08:07:36 am »

Okra in Gumbo is pretty nice - and not fried...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2021, 08:55:04 pm »

Changing the subject a bit. I saw this on Twitter à couple of seconds ago. I'm sure you all have heard of a dessert called "Bananas Foster"? Basically bananas halved lengthwise sautéed with butter and flambéed in rum or another liqueur then served with vanilla ice cream.

OK. Hold that though. Now look at these. The blue will disappear when ripened. The Antipoedian among you will likely recognize this hybrid variety:

Blue Java bananas.
The white flesh said to be like ice cream consistency and vanilla flavored.
Source @Massimo
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2021, 06:31:56 am »

Changing the subject a bit. I saw this on Twitter à couple of seconds ago. I'm sure you all have heard of a dessert called "Bananas Foster"? Basically bananas halved lengthwise sautéed with butter and flambéed in rum or another liqueur then served with vanilla ice cream.

OK. Hold that though. Now look at these. The blue will disappear when ripened. The Antipoedian among you will likely recognize this hybrid variety:

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

I have not seen or heard of that variety in the Antipodes. It does look intriguing though
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #431 on: May 15, 2021, 08:13:57 am »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

I have not seen or heard of that variety in the Antipodes. It does look intriguing though

According to the Interwebs it's a hybrid that does grow in Northern Australia as well. However here I have a fact finding video on the Blue Java Banana claims:

BLUE JAVA BANANA (Ice Cream Banana) : Is There Really a BLUE Banana That Tastes Like ICE CREAM?

It turns out that Blue Java is less blue than the Internet would lead you to believe. The Blue Java has a bluish green color when unripe. But will turn à more familiar yellow when ripe. The flesh however is more interesting. A bit more acid and sweet than a Cavendish banana, the color of the flesh is very white and creamy, with a flavor that hints of strawberry.

Still looks pretty good. Wish more people ate more varieties of banana. I bet it would make a killer Parfait.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2021, 03:01:57 am »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

We call that dessert 'Caramelised Bananas'. You also add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the pan, and the liquor must be dark (Bundaberg) rum.

There is another, similar one using pineapple. Cut the pineapple into chunks, using a fondue fork, dip it in dark rum, then brown sugar. Caramelise it over a fondue flame, then dip in whipped cream.

I've never seen the Blue Java Bananas and I've lived in the tropics. We prefer the sub-tropical bananas - they grow a bit slower and are sweeter and have more flavour than the big, (floury) tropical ones.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2021, 08:33:39 pm »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

We call that dessert 'Caramelised Bananas'. You also add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the pan, and the liquor must be dark (Bundaberg) rum.

There is another, similar one using pineapple. Cut the pineapple into chunks, using a fondue fork, dip it in dark rum, then brown sugar. Caramelise it over a fondue flame, then dip in whipped cream.

I've never seen the Blue Java Bananas and I've lived in the tropics. We prefer the sub-tropical bananas - they grow a bit slower and are sweeter and have more flavour than the big, (floury) tropical ones.

It's a shame we don't see more Banana varieties here. It's Cavendish and that's it. I've seen Pitayas, Star Fruit, we love Kiwi fruit and all sorts of mangoes, but for bananas we only have one. Why? There are 4000 varieties of bananas in the world.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2021, 08:59:11 pm »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

It's a shame we don't see more Banana varieties here. It's Cavendish and that's it. I've seen Pitayas, Star Fruit, we love Kiwi fruit and all sorts of mangoes, but for bananas we only have one. Why? There are 4000 varieties of bananas in the world.
What's worse, it isn't even Cavendish bananas, it's the Cavendish banana, cloned.

I just checked the Loblaws web site; they list Cavendish bananas, red bananas, plantain, "mini" bananas and Manzano bananas, although the latter two are listed as "unavailable."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:04:16 pm by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #435 on: May 17, 2021, 07:42:50 am »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

What's worse, it isn't even Cavendish bananas, it's the Cavendish banana, cloned.

I just checked the Loblaws web site; they list Cavendish bananas, red bananas, plantain, "mini" bananas and Manzano bananas, although the latter two are listed as "unavailable."

Well yes, we do have the plantain, but not round the year. Red bananas once in a blue moon. Seeing good yellow mangoes depends on your luck. Most of the time it's the multi-colored type which never seem to ripen and remain fibrous until they actually spoil.

I remember reading this article where a single blight attacking the bananas would decimate the global crops because they entirely depend on those clones.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:37 am »

[snip]
I remember reading this article where a single blight attacking the bananas would decimate the global crops because they entirely depend on those clones.
It's already happened once. In the 1950's a strain of the Panama disease wiped out the Gros Michel (sweeter and larger than the Cavendish) variety which made up virtually the world's entire commercial crop. Luckily the Cavendish was immune to the panama disease and despite there being only one Cavendish tree (in Yorkshire, of all places!) it was cloned and has now become 90% of all commercially sold bananas.
But not for long.
There's a new variant of the disease that attacks Cavendishes, so bananas may very well become an expensive luxury again soon.

A short but very informative article here: https://time.com/5730790/banana-panama-disease/

I had read that the song 'Yes, We Have No Bananas' was written about the eradication of the Gros Michel variant, but the dates are wrong, sadly.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2021, 12:33:41 pm »

[snip]
It's already happened once. In the 1950's a strain of the Panama disease wiped out the Gros Michel (sweeter and larger than the Cavendish) variety which made up virtually the world's entire commercial crop. Luckily the Cavendish was immune to the panama disease and despite there being only one Cavendish tree (in Yorkshire, of all places!) it was cloned and has now become 90% of all commercially sold bananas.
But not for long.
There's a new variant of the disease that attacks Cavendishes, so bananas may very well become an expensive luxury again soon.

A short but very informative article here: https://time.com/5730790/banana-panama-disease/

I had read that the song 'Yes, We Have No Bananas' was written about the eradication of the Gros Michel variant, but the dates are wrong, sadly.

Odd that the big players (because there's only a handful of Banana sources for the West) would take such risk. Too much effort for them?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2021, 02:51:02 pm »

Apparently it's more to do with the rest of the supply chain. If they have to convert to accomodate different varieties (different sizes, ripening times and requirements, etc.) it will cost them too much money. So they're looking for varieties that have very similar properties (in all respects other than susceptibility to Panama disease) to the Cavendish so that they will have to change as little as possible. The problems with building your empire on a monoculture.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #439 on: May 20, 2021, 04:59:17 am »

Blue Java bananas.
Source @Massimo

According to the Interwebs it's a hybrid that does grow in Northern Australia as well. However here I have a fact finding video on the Blue Java Banana claims:

BLUE JAVA BANANA (Ice Cream Banana) : Is There Really a BLUE Banana That Tastes Like ICE CREAM?

It turns out that Blue Java is less blue than the Internet would lead you to believe. The Blue Java has a bluish green color when unripe. But will turn à more familiar yellow when ripe. The flesh however is more interesting. A bit more acid and sweet than a Cavendish banana, the color of the flesh is very white and creamy, with a flavor that hints of strawberry.

Still looks pretty good. Wish more people ate more varieties of banana. I bet it would make a killer Parfaitf.

Banana  have become a major export crop since they were introduced to Northern Australia. So much so residents of the region are affectionately known as Banana Benders.
  Banana round the world have now  been hybridised  to be  straighter, in order to fit more economically  in the boxes.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »

Fried Dandelions (Appalachian Style)

& it's that time of the year for Sir Henry's annual Elderflower recipe.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2021, 08:26:03 pm »

I am redundant.

Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #442 on: May 26, 2021, 06:28:51 am »

I think we had discussed these before. Every time you guys mention fried dandelions, it reminds me of this

Courgette / Zucchini blossom quesadillas.

Quesadillas de Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Quesadillas)

And then we have this to add to the fried list:

Fried Stuffed Squash Blossoms - Squash Flowers Stuffed with Goat Cheese
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:36:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2021, 03:25:45 am »

I think we had discussed these before.

Sorry old chap, its the 1st time that "fried dandelions" have been mentioned. Unless you're thinking of "Deep Fried Elderflowers"?.

-------------------------

Shami kebabs

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2021, 08:32:35 pm »

I think we had discussed these before.

Sorry old chap, its the 1st time that "fried dandelions" have been mentioned. Unless you're thinking of "Deep Fried Elderflowers"?.

-------------------------

Shami kebabs

Oh, that's right! No wonder I couldn't find it.  Grin Oh well, more edible garden stuff.

Not fried, but made with Butternut Squash blossoms:

https://youtu.be/9bb4jhNBvgs
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 08:42:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #445 on: October 27, 2021, 02:53:17 am »

Kaspressknodel (Austrian Cheese Dumplings)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #446 on: November 23, 2021, 07:08:14 am »

Is toasting food, really blackening food on a griddle considered frying? I'm going to assume it is, as a primitive form of frying.

Thanks to Chicar posts on Apple pie, I stumbled on this video where the oldest known form of tacos and cocoa are prepared

Apparently, Turkey Tacos and Chile Cocoa made the original taco party! Well, I kind of knew that, but this is the first time I see someone cook these articles in "the original way." Chiles, tomatoes, minced turkey meat and onions. Masa, and cocoa. Zero fat. How do Aztec tacos stack to Mexican Tacos?

Sohla's Aztec Taco Tuesday (with Hot Chocolate!) | Ancient Recipes With Sohla | History

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #447 on: December 01, 2021, 12:16:48 pm »

Haggis Pakora
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2021, 04:11:37 am »

Does the recipe require free-range haggis? Or is farm bred haggis alright?
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« Reply #449 on: December 02, 2021, 07:02:52 am »

I tried okra....I wanted to like it. Every time I ate it I wanted to like it. Never happened.
But it's pretty close to the bottom of my vegetables preference list.  Tongue 

Same man. I can deal wit hit if it's IN something (like soups or a cassarole) but by itself, even fried up... 'Meh.'

And i hate that i don't like the stuff.

Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: