The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 19, 2021, 11:28:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 50849 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #375 on: December 23, 2020, 04:20:54 pm »

Where can I get that?
Not at your local heart advisory clinic  Grin

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #376 on: December 23, 2020, 07:21:05 pm »

Where can I get that?

Your local superstore or a deli I suspose.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #377 on: December 23, 2020, 07:37:12 pm »

Would be that not simply be tallow used to fry or sautée something else on the pan and then spread over something else with a dash of salt on top?? I don't think anyone sells "drippings." I know you can buy tallow, lard and duck fat from the deli at your local super.

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2020, 09:46:21 pm »

In salo, you can fry not only scrambled eggs, but also potatoes. The only negative thing is the smell. Weaklings and decadents wince and whine.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #379 on: January 31, 2021, 01:46:17 am »

Crab "Scotch" Eggs. Sorry, maybe that should say Crab "Cornish" Eggs?.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:10:37 am by Mercury Wells » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2021, 11:42:48 pm »

New Zealand is becoming a tad more adventurous and cosmopolitan with it's food tastes and product options. Coconut is one of the few palms and crops that doesn't grow here naturally. With an increase in immigration from the Asian and African continents , coconut flavours and recipes are reaching the main stream. New business innovation in the Pacific Islands has made coconut processing a growth industry. 

That crumb looks quite nice - I wonder if my local supermarket could source it? Might leave that question until the new owners take over in March, I've already had my share of products got in just for me!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #381 on: February 01, 2021, 01:10:21 am »

New Zealand is becoming a tad more adventurous and cosmopolitan with it's food tastes and product options. Coconut is one of the few palms and crops that doesn't grow here naturally. With an increase in immigration from the Asian and African continents , coconut flavours and recipes are reaching the main stream. New business innovation in the Pacific Islands has made coconut processing a growth industry. 

That crumb looks quite nice - I wonder if my local supermarket could source it? Might leave that question until the new owners take over in March, I've already had my share of products got in just for me!!

Too extreme a latitude to grow coconuts? At 40 degrees from the Equator roughly its the equivalen of Virginia, Colorado Nevada in the US and Portugal, Spain, Italy in Europe. Not very high actually.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #382 on: February 01, 2021, 01:19:02 am »

Panko bread crums could be substituted for cracker crumbs and improved by adding chopped almonds. The now defunct Luby's cafeteria chain in the US was famous for breaded Cod fillets with a crumb laden with thin sliced almonds. The quail eggs are too small to showcase the centimeter-long almond slices, but if you chop the almonds they would work fine

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/luby-s-fried-fish/2104746
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #383 on: March 15, 2021, 10:55:13 am »

I didn't quite know where to post this, but I though this would be a good place. I know I've posted about Chorizo before, but this was too good not to post, and chorizo is usually fried when preparing dishes, so I'll just leave this here. It's a video on the Chorizo industry, from the perspective of a little but very famous butcher shop, "The black calf," in the mountain city of Toluca, about 40mi SW from Mexico City. They specialize in Spanish red Chorizo, Mexican red Chorizo, Mexican green Chorizo and Argentinean white Chorizo. You can see how it's made, and used locally.

And no, you don't need a translation, just your appetite.

La vaquita negra y el chorizo de Toluca.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:10:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2021, 02:55:23 pm »

Okonomiyaki (Savory Pancake)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2021, 05:24:45 pm »

I have just watched 4 videos on how to make okonomiyaki and must admit it's unlike any other recipe I've ever come across. I understand that there are the two basic types, but no two recipes have the same ingredients or cook it quite the same way. Very strange. If I didn't have a problem with eggs, I'd definitely try it.
Aha! I just found a version that doesn't include fried egg even, so I may well try that one.  Grin

And thanks to this amble down youtube street, I now know of the existence of a weird counter-top cold smoking device that looks to be a bowl like a pipe on a machine with a fan and a rubber hose coming off it to direct the smoke into whatever receptacle you have your food in. Not sure if it's a must-have or an abomination.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2021, 06:52:12 pm »

Not sure if it's a must-have or an abomination.
To a true Steampunk, there isn't always a difference.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #387 on: March 16, 2021, 09:26:01 am »

I have just watched 4 videos on how to make okonomiyaki and must admit it's unlike any other recipe I've ever come across. I understand that there are the two basic types, but no two recipes have the same ingredients or cook it quite the same way. Very strange. If I didn't have a problem with eggs, I'd definitely try it.
Aha! I just found a version that doesn't include fried egg even, so I may well try that one.  Grin

And thanks to this amble down youtube street, I now know of the existence of a weird counter-top cold smoking device that looks to be a bowl like a pipe on a machine with a fan and a rubber hose coming off it to direct the smoke into whatever receptacle you have your food in. Not sure if it's a must-have or an abomination.

I don't know about the smoking contraption, but the okonomiyaki sound like the stuff I was making while studying in college, and I still didn't know how to cook. I'd definitely call that an abomination.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #388 on: March 16, 2021, 01:10:28 pm »

I was surprised at Newcastle-upon-Tyne's airport a couple of years ago when I saw Okonomiyaki listed as one of the words-of-the day on an electronic board. The rest of my family cook and eat it, but that is only because one of them learnt Japanese at school. I had never heard of it until then. I wasn't expecting it to appear in the UK. Is it well known there?

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #389 on: March 16, 2021, 03:08:42 pm »

SNIP

Are you sure that's not a bong?  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #390 on: March 16, 2021, 03:23:32 pm »

MaRy from the Japanese Steampunk band Strange Artifact just posted this on Twitter (@strangeartifact), and I don't think we've seen it on this thread.

Gyoza are the Japanese version of pot sticker dumplings; they're usually filled with meat and vegetables.

There's a recipe here: https://www.justonecookbook.com/gyoza/

So what is the Japanese version like? The key characteristic of gyoza (餃子) lies in its cooking method, which involves both pan-frying and steaming. They are first fried in a hot pan until crispy brown on the bottom sides, then a small amount of water is added before the pan is covered to quickly steam the entire dumplings.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:26:59 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #391 on: March 16, 2021, 05:48:34 pm »

SNIP

Are you sure that's not a bong?  Grin
Not sure at all. In fact I've had to clarify this to everyone I've described it to. I'm pretty sure there are hipsters who 'misuse' it...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #392 on: March 16, 2021, 10:23:14 pm »

I was surprised at Newcastle-upon-Tyne's airport a couple of years ago when I saw Okonomiyaki listed as one of the words-of-the day on an electronic board. The rest of my family cook and eat it, but that is only because one of them learnt Japanese at school. I had never heard of it until then. I wasn't expecting it to appear in the UK. Is it well known there?

Sorontar

Only in Japanese resturants, I suspose.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2021, 08:53:35 pm »

Is it for sale somewhere?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2021, 09:14:00 pm »

Is it for sale somewhere?
Yes, there are quite a lot of them for sale. Most are at least a couple of hundred dollars, but there are a few cheaper ones like this one: https://www.sousvidetools.com/sage-smoking-gun. And of course there is the cheap Chinese version: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353189265432

If I wanted one I'd probably just use an old computer fan and an old pipe and 3d print a housing.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2021, 03:34:54 pm »

Plenty of fried food down below.

Madhur Jaffrey's Flavours of India:- Kerala.

Rick Stein's:- India.

Ken Hom's Chinese Cockery:- Fish.

The above are available on BBC iplayer.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2021, 03:35:41 am »

After reading this my curiosity was piqued, so I looked up Okonomiyaki and decided to give it a try. (I also saw the bowl/pie contraption...) Anyhoo, the Okonomiyaki was really tasty and we will definitely be making it again. Was surprised how unassuming the cabbage was - couldn't taste it. Made the sauce myself and it was really nice. I made up my own recipe from a mix of the Okonomiyaki  recipes online using ingredients we already had, so didn't have to go out searching for unusual condiments. (Just as an aside - our local supermarket has a little 'foreign foods' section which contains such things as Banston Pickles, Bisto gravy granules, custard creams and other such British fare. From this, we can surmise that the largest ethnic group of foreigners in our area are British!) 

It was fairly quick and easy to make and tasted really good. Next time I would cut the cabbage a bit thinner and shorter lengths to make a more compact form.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #397 on: March 29, 2021, 11:58:43 am »

Panipuri
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2021, 04:33:16 pm »

Here's a rather comprehensive recipe for them. https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pani-puri-recipe-mumbai-pani-puri-recipe/
When I get a bit more energy I'm definitely making these.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2021, 06:48:31 pm »

Here's a rather comprehensive recipe for them. https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pani-puri-recipe-mumbai-pani-puri-recipe/
When I get a bit more energy I'm definitely making these.

The Indo-Chinese Chilli baby corn looks interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: