The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 28, 2020, 09:25:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 44505 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2020, 05:25:23 am »

RJ...Have you tried cookin that in an omlette?

I'm not one for chunky bits in my omlettes. I've done greek omlettes with sliced olive spinich and chunks of fetta, and a few other varieties, but the egg is always the main, with little bits of other things in it. I feel like adding egg to this would be more like egg coating this then putting this into eggs.

I understand what your saying. What about a smallish omlette/scrambled eggs as a side dish.? Anyway, what you have shown us all looks great on its own (I would add a couple slices of buttered bread though. But that's just me)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #351 on: August 13, 2020, 06:35:32 am »

RJ...Have you tried cookin that in an omlette?

I'm not one for chunky bits in my omlettes. I've done greek omlettes with sliced olive spinich and chunks of fetta, and a few other varieties, but the egg is always the main, with little bits of other things in it. I feel like adding egg to this would be more like egg coating this then putting this into eggs.

So I guess that Machaca or machacado con huevo is out of the question, then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machacado_con_huevo

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2020, 09:07:10 am »

A made-up American Asian dish: Fried Rangoon

I guess even made-up fake foreign dishes are something that you can fin anywhere, but this one is a strange one, and one that is tasty and known well among Chinese-American restaurants: Crab Rangoon, aka Crab Puffs, aka Crab Won Ton

One thing to get out of the way is that Crab Rangoon is not inauthentic, and you should not be embarrassed to order it. American Chinese food is its own cuisine, with its own staples and a reasonably long and fascinating history. There’s a fundamental problem with the concept of authenticity in food, because cuisine is constantly mutating and adapting to new ingredients, new people, new techniques, and new ideas.

The dish consists of a Wonton wrapper (a type of square or round noodle, to make dumplings, similar to Ravioli) , stuffed with cream cheese (an American invention), "imitation" crab or real crab meat, scallions, onion, garlic, and sometimes sweetened. The Wonton wraps are then folded into a triangle and deep fried. Typically they'll be served with a sweet and spur sauce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Rangoon

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2020, 02:53:56 am »

The dish consists of a Wonton wrapper (a type of square or round noodle, to make dumplings, similar to Ravioli) , stuffed with cream cheese (an American invention), "imitation" crab or real crab meat, scallions, onion, garlic, and sometimes sweetened. The Wonton wraps are then folded into a triangle and deep fried. Typically they'll be served with a sweet and spur sauce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Rangoon

Because of crab rangoon, which I don't care for, a lot of restaurants have stopped selling fried wontons, which I love. Screw crab rangoon.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2020, 10:03:19 pm »

Sorry if it already happened.

Fried sunflower seeds.

they are chewed during leisure hours. They are somehow soothing. And they are delicious.

Theoretically, sunflower seeds can be chewed immediately, raw. But frying in a pan with salt gives them a special taste and aroma.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2020, 02:31:58 am »

dinner last night and lunch today
onion, garlic. Fried in butter, cubed potato, and green peppers. cooked mild italian sausage and deglazed the pan, added taco seasoning and chipotle. Tasty.
The monster of a housemate slathered a thick layer of bluecheese dressing and hot sauce all over the portion I gave him. seriously, he never tasted it, it could have been dog food and it would have tasted the same with the amount of dressing he dumped on it.

Ah My Good RJ

so, henceforeward, that is what you should serve him !
make 2 dishes
- one is the "good stuff" for you and any other human
- the other is a plate of dog food, heated up, and pre-slathered with his favorite scheisse er stuff.

then see if he notices.

much cheaper and probably more efficascious

however, with this est, I am quite sure that I have added even more negative points to my karmic burden.
by the time the covid crisis is over I will have a LOT of karma to work off...

your karmic instructor
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2020, 05:57:03 am »

Now, this is street food!

I knew that the French brought pastries, bread and crepes to Mexico since the 1830s, but I had no idea that crepes were so popular as a street food in Mexico City.

I knew, for example, that French restaurants were ubiquitous in the capital city, and I had previously spoken about the traditional crepes with Cajeta / Dulce de Leche (Goat/Cow Milk based syrup), Hutlacoche (corn fungus), and "Bolovan" (Vol-au-vent) pastries filled with savoury fillings. I have a few times posted this cafe in San Angel Borough, "Restaurant Cluny." I knew the restaurant only by way of pictures, but I just found out that they started their business by selling crepes.

"Restaurant Cluny" in San Angel Borough, Mexico City
(average bill amount: $12.50 USD !! )

Restaurante Cluny

But in spite of the fact that I lived in that city for 17 years, there's still many things I don't know. Well, in neighboring Coyoacan Borough you have these crepes from a street vendor. You don't need to speak Spanish to understand these videos.

Las Crepas de Coyoacan

Closer to the central part of the city, food vendors form part of the Napoles Borough food market / flea market
and every Sunday you can find this 20 year old crepe outpost:

¡Crepas GIGANTES! - Diana y Aarón (DyA)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:12:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:42 am »

Durian Pancakes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »

Oh, no no no no...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance, whereas others find the aroma overpowering with an unpleasant odour. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour, which may linger for several days, has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:29:26 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2020, 04:19:36 pm »

Oh, no no no no...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance, whereas others find the aroma overpowering with an unpleasant odour. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour, which may linger for several days, has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.
When my son tried salt pickling a durian in a jar in the back garden it did a wonderful job of keeping the neighbourhood cats away.  Grin

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: