The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 11:40:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 43332 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2020, 01:01:26 am »

Corned Beef Hash or fritters.

Spam Fitters

Aren't SPAM fritters the same as this? Or are the size and batter different. Is it possible to have SPAM Fritters with SPAM Chips? And does it make any sense?  Grin

Now, in a supermarket near you...   Tongue

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:03:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2020, 03:48:32 am »

Spam Fitters

Aren't SPAM fritters the same as this? Or are the size and batter different. Is it possible to have SPAM Fritters with SPAM Chips? And does it make any sense?  Grin

Sorry, sometimes I can't see half the posted pictures. (must be due to my broswer, that I set up) apologies for that.  Embarrassed

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2020, 05:28:36 am »

Spam Fitters

Aren't SPAM fritters the same as this? Or are the size and batter different. Is it possible to have SPAM Fritters with SPAM Chips? And does it make any sense?  Grin

Sorry, sometimes I can't see half the posted pictures. (must be due to my broswer, that I set up) apologies for that.  Embarrassed

It's OK. Plus they do look like they're a bit different anyway. The fries look breaded, like "wienerschnitzel fingers" and the fritters are battered like fish and chips. They both look horrid to me anyway! I meant to buy one of those bags just to see what they were like. I'm glad I didn't. About the only way I could stand SPAM is pan fried as a side for eggs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:35:25 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2020, 04:46:56 am »

Be prepared to recoil in amazement & horror (Usual Vic-Wardian disclaimers apply BTB). Because, I offer you all the...

Stonner Kebab
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2020, 05:03:36 am »

Be prepared to recoil in amazement & horror (Usual Vic-Wardian disclaimers apply BTB). Because, I offer you all the...

Stonner Kebab

I once told a young child that were were going to have shawarma meat rolled in an unsliced pizza for dinner. She was very enthusiastic.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2020, 05:13:56 am »

Stonner Kebab

I once told a young child that were were going to have shawarma meat rolled in an unsliced pizza for dinner. She was very enthusiastic.

Good for her &...did she eat it all and enjoy her meal?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2020, 05:20:47 am »

Stonner Kebab

Initially I read it as "stoner kebab." Must be related to the Drunk Al Pastor  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2020, 09:45:44 am »

Here in the Antipodes we have  "green bananas",  used by our Pasifika brethren from the Islands, for cooking. They are bigger firmer greener banana  used much like potato or yam.  Baked, toasted, boiled.  I was never brave enough to try, when I lived in an area where shops  sold them as staple.

As an aside; while studying Ghana at primary school [age around 9yr], our teacher  cooked us up a batch  of chopped bananas [in place of plantain] and paprika. I  have experimented at home since, but it has never tasted the same as on the old electric fry pan  in the classroom

Dear Annie, I just found no less than 10 recipes for green and plantain bananas! I'll go thru each one later today, but suffice it to say they're so starchy they can be used to make a dough, and filled with cheese or meat, and even used as dumplings!

I'll drop this link here, and go through the descriptions after work

https://www.laylita.com/recetas/10-recetas-con-platanos-maduros-verdes/
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2020, 09:19:36 am »

Here in the Antipodes we have  "green bananas",  used by our Pasifika brethren from the Islands, for cooking. They are bigger firmer greener banana  used much like potato or yam.  Baked, toasted, boiled.  I was never brave enough to try, when I lived in an area where shops  sold them as staple.

As an aside; while studying Ghana at primary school [age around 9yr], our teacher  cooked us up a batch  of chopped bananas [in place of plantain] and paprika. I  have experimented at home since, but it has never tasted the same as on the old electric fry pan  in the classroom

Dear Annie, I just found no less than 10 recipes for green and plantain bananas! I'll go thru each one later today, but suffice it to say they're so starchy they can be used to make a dough, and filled with cheese or meat, and even used as dumplings!

THANK YOU!!!!
I have seen a number of simple plaintain "recipes" on TV shows but have not been able to get anything in print!
Being deathly allergic to wheat, corn, soy, rye, eggs and dairy it is hell-on-earth to try to find/make a sandwich or bun.
I have been able to make biscuits and cookies with rice flour but getting it to rise is a royal pain.

perhaps I can make a plantain bun that will hold together to make a coconut-cheese-substitute cheeseburger....
Or modify one of those "stuffed thingies" to stuff it with burger...

yhs
prof mrvl

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:26 pm »

I once tried a lasagna-like dish made with plantains from the deli counter of a Puerto Rican grocery store in Florida. Sliced plantains layered with ground beef and cheese. Quite good.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2020, 10:33:01 pm »

I once tried a lasagna-like dish made with plantains from the deli counter of a Puerto Rican grocery store in Florida. Sliced plantains layered with ground beef and cheese. Quite good.

OMG
THANK YOU

love and kisses ( in the completely platonic pre covid sense)
Prof Marvel
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2020, 11:08:03 pm »

You just got me in time to go to the supermarket.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2020, 10:20:55 am »

Here in the Antipodes we have  "green bananas",  used by our Pasifika brethren from the Islands, for cooking. They are bigger firmer greener banana  used much like potato or yam.  Baked, toasted, boiled.  I was never brave enough to try, when I lived in an area where shops  sold them as staple.

As an aside; while studying Ghana at primary school [age around 9yr], our teacher  cooked us up a batch  of chopped bananas [in place of plantain] and paprika. I  have experimented at home since, but it has never tasted the same as on the old electric fry pan  in the classroom

OMG
THANK YOU

love and kisses ( in the completely platonic pre covid sense)
Prof Marvel

I should probably point out that that all the recipes in that link involve Plantain banana."Verde" refers to the green plantain. "Maduro" refers to the ripe plantain, but both are plantains. Platano "Macho" = Plantain.

At first, I had to re-read her description because the writer is Central American or South American and she was using a couple of different terms, which I never heard ("Crocante", "Patacón", "Choclo" ) or which Google Translate may not be able to translate properly in the context given (Picadillo, Tortilla, Bolón)

"Crocante" = "crujiente" in canonical Spanish = crispy in English.

"Bolón" = "bola de masa" = dumpling

"Patacones" = pan fried cakes

"Tostón" is a type of ancient coin, like saying "Guinea." It generally means "Quart / Quarter"

"Tortilla" in generic Spanish refers to something flattened. In Mexico it's corn flat cakes, in Spain it's omelette.

"Chifle" is Spanish for "whistle"

"Choclo" is a type of Peruvian maize with oversize, soft kernels. If you don't have it, you can use corn on the cob, or Hominy (nixtamalized corn) kernels instead.

"Yuca" = Cassava root, a type of starchy root. Usually milled to make a flour before cooking, like Polenta.

"Picadillo" = generic Latin American name for minced meat.

"Ají" = type of spicy sauce with Ají peppers, onion and tomato.

"Ají Criollo" = "Ají, European migrant" style = basically Pesto brought by Italian migrants to South America

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:33:51 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #338 on: July 13, 2020, 04:29:35 am »

Udon with Soft-Boiled-Egg Tempura
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2020, 05:51:14 pm »

Æbleskiver/Aebleskiver

Danish pastries, Æbleskiver means "Apple Slices".
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2020, 08:14:56 pm »

Æbleskiver/Aebleskiver

Danish pastries, Æbleskiver means "Apple Slices".

I want to learn how to make those  Grin. I've seen similar pans with round dimples elsewhere. I might be able to make them.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #341 on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:58 pm »

Fried (Real) Beaver Tail & Homemade beaver tails (from dough).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:10 am »

Must be Canadian, eh?  Grin No mention of Moose Mountain Oysters?  Roll Eyes

The smell is not charming, but it's not as bad as some things.

Roll Eyes

The closest thing to a beaver tail down south of the *other* border is Prickly Pear Cactus (Nopal) Paddles  Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:31:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2020, 05:18:26 am »

I think you mean "Prairie Oysters."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2020, 06:03:50 am »

Oh yeah!  Mountain Oysters are the Mexican variety!  Grin  It's a common joke for street vendors selling seafood in Mexico City.  Grin

"FRESH MOUNTAIN OYSTERS! COME AND GET YOUR FRESH MOUNTAIN OYSTERS!"   Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:05:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2020, 04:53:58 am »

Nalysnyky (Ukrainian Crepes/Pancakes)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2020, 08:18:06 pm »

There really is no limit to pancakes and crêpes, is there ?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:09 pm »

dinner last night and lunch today.

onion, garlic. Fried in butter, cubed potato, and green peppers. cooked mild italian sausage and deglazed the pan, added taco seasoning and chipotle. Tasty.

The monster of a housemate slathered a thick layer of bluecheese dressing and hot sauce all over the portion I gave him. seriously, he never tasted it, it could have been dog food and it would have tasted the same with the amount of dressing he dumped on it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:08:11 pm by rovingjack » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: