The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 02:15:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 40757 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2019, 06:08:55 am »

Chicken salt is sooo good... I was surprised to hear you Americas don't have it.

I was surprised that the Root Beer was pretty much North America only. I've also been told that grape jelly, ubiquitous here, is not common in England.

That is starting to change, though. Along with sodas that were not considered palatable in Mexico, for example, like Dr. Pepper.

I can understand that - I tried Dr Pepper once... Like pumpkin pie, I was left wondering how anyone could consume it willingly.

Isn't Root Beer what we call Ginger Beer? (Made from ginger root.)

Root beer is most definitely not Ginger based. Either Sarsaparilla and/or Sassafras is the main herbal flavour in it as Sir Henry points out (In the US American Sasafrass was used at first, but because it's a very strong medicine, European Sarsaparilla came to substitute it later in the 19th century) . If Dr. Pepper tastes like prune soda, then to me root beer has a licorice - like flavour, and it's - to me - considerably stronger than Dr. Pepper. They're very different yet similar flavours - if that makes any sense, but both ellicit the same kind of "Why are you drinking this?" reaction from first timers, and I'd say they're both very addictive in the long run. I think it's the strength and strangeness of the taste that pulls you back into it. Plus some interesting stuff you can do with ice cream...

How to Make a Root Beer Float from Scratch | Sassafras Maple Brew: HTME: Remix

PS. I don't suggest making *everything* from scratch like that dude in the video, although I loved the process. In the event civilisation collapses, I know I can survive on root beer floats  Tongue. You can just go to the supermarket and buy the ice-cream and root beer  Grin

Well, as much as I'd like to try your American soda-pop, I'm afraid I just can't... My son-in-law is a brewer and I really wouldn't want to offend him by drinking some other brewed substance.  Grin

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  Grin
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2019, 06:35:55 am »

"Someone else's brew jealousy" ?

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2019, 02:50:20 am »

Brik

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50:04 am »

Now, in a supermarket near you...   Tongue

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2020, 07:52:18 am »

You fiend! I have just spent half an hour trying, and failing, to resist posting this: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2020, 08:34:41 am »

You fiend! I have just spent half an hour trying, and failing, to resist posting this: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

Resistance is futile. It is your destiny! I foresaw the video coming before I wrote my post! D
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2020, 10:44:07 am »

Resistance is futile. It is your destiny! I foresaw the video coming before I wrote my post! D

One would hope that the fritter crumb/batter actually tastes better than Spam!!
Deimos
Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2020, 10:51:35 am »

A teensy bit of necroposting...

Chicken salt is sooo good... I was surprised to hear you Americas don't have it.

We don't have Vegemite either.  But we do have peanut butter. When I traveled in Scotland for a month via bicycle (back in the mid 80s) I got some pretty entertaining reactions when I pulled out my jar of PB.  (I was told to "bring my own"  because the real stuff was not  available outside the US; that may have changed in the last 30 years.)

.... Like pumpkin pie, I was left wondering how anyone could consume it [Dr Pepper] willingly....

I'll pretend you didn't say that, about pumpkin pie, that is.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"Only the paranoid survive."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2020, 03:25:19 am »

One would hope that the fritter crumb/batter actually tastes better than Spam!!

I don't think however good the batter may be, that you could overcome the taste of Spam. And how does the crumb, once cooked, stick to it anyway? It's far too greasy! It's one step away from trying to batter lard!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2020, 04:13:11 am »

[/quote]

I don't think however good the batter may be, that you could overcome the taste of Spam. And how does the crumb, once cooked, stick to it anyway? It's far too greasy! It's one step away from trying to batter lard!

[/quote]

Wasn't there an episode of The Simpsons where the ad on TV took 'rich creamery butter, wrapped it in bacon and deep fried it'? I guess they do the Spam fingers the same way...  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2020, 04:59:59 am »

[/quote]

Wasn't there an episode of The Simpsons where the ad on TV took 'rich creamery butter, wrapped it in bacon and deep fried it'? I guess they do the Spam fingers the same way...  Grin
[/quote]

You need to read the early posts on this thread. Deep fried bacon is a thing here in Texas and in the East they have deep fried butter and deep fried coke! It's so ridiculous!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: