The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 17, 2018, 02:42:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practical Anti-Gravity Application  (Read 5290 times)
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »

Would properly machined pieces of Cavourite work as gravity lenses?

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »

Are we talking on a large scale or at atom level?
Be carefull making Cavorite, I've heard it's highly explosive.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:15 pm »

Are we talking on a large scale or at atom level?
Be carefull making Cavorite, I've heard it's highly explosive.

It's not too dangerous so long as you keep the lid on the tin actually. Keeping the tin off the ceiling is another matter however,

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »

I’m considering macro-scale applications, handheld devices up to field artillery. Cavorite seems to be a very passive material in the original description, merely a screen or sheet of material which is opaque to gravity, causing items on the shaded side to act as if they were weightless. Cavor’s own astroscape sphere was propelled by blocking Earth’s attraction and thus falling upward to the Moon.

My thinking is that impure cavorite alloys or amalgams should block varying amounts of gravity, and if there is a gravitic refraction index involved, one should be able to use shaped forms to selectively focus a virtual “Gravity Beam” to act as a means of propulsion or destruction.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:39:36 pm by Dr Fidelius » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »

That would probably depend on wether cavorite blocks or reflects gravity. If the latter, you might well be able to weaponize it. Taking the gravitational pull from a large area, concentrating it in an area a few centimeters across.
I'm not sure what effect such a gravity cannon would have. If you fired it at a tank, would the small area hit merely be pulled toward the cannon, or would the tank implode around it?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »

I don't think this would scale down very well. What you would need is likely a downward parabolic dish lined with cavorite and with a hole in the middle. Gravity waves would then be concentrated in the middle, where a small cavorite reflector would be located to send gravity upwards where a cavorite plate would help you direct it at the enemy.
If we said gravity was a form of wave, might we also use constructive interference and standing waves to increase the effect?
Due to the way air is affected by cavorite, the gravity cannon might actually be able to move a bit like a hovercraft.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Considering how cavorite wrecks havoc with air pressure, perhaps you could create sphere where one half would be solid cavorite. Throwing that somewhere might create a localized storm.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:59 pm »

Come now, there must be more to be said about this.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »

Is cavorite related to the inertron anti-gravity metal that Buck Rogers uses?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: