The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 02:59:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHH FIVE: RETURN OF THE REVENGE OF THE GAH STRIKES BACK - THE SEQUEL  (Read 104097 times)
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2450 on: June 16, 2016, 11:40:44 pm »

Stepfather's funeral yesterday. A good Welsh funeral; rained all day (a funeral on a sunny day is a waste of a day), good spread afterwards, and learned a lot of truths behind the scenes.

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2451 on: June 17, 2016, 01:11:06 am »

The Bullet, my contractor lives just up the street in our very small hamlet - I could just walk up the street and rip his ears off!

Major Quicksilver, nothing like a wake for learning stuff!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2452 on: June 18, 2016, 12:31:02 am »

Today's gah for me is the runaround surrounding my husband's passport. We are going to Guatemala in the second week of July, and the offspring and I have gotten our passports no problem. However, my husband's situation is different. He was born in the '60's in Canada to conscientious objectors... Now they were both US citizens, but even though he has sent in his birth certificate, his mom's birth certificate, the paperwork from when his stepfather adopted him, his mom's social security information, and everything else that we could think of, the passport office wants more. Now they want his mom's marriage certificate from her first marriage, my husband's estranged biological father, who is deceased... it's getting ridiculous, isn't it enough to have proven that his mom is an American citizen? Gahhhhh.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2453 on: June 18, 2016, 02:10:01 am »

Today's gah for me is the runaround surrounding my husband's passport. We are going to Guatemala in the second week of July, and the offspring and I have gotten our passports no problem. However, my husband's situation is different. He was born in the '60's in Canada to conscientious objectors... Now they were both US citizens, but even though he has sent in his birth certificate, his mom's birth certificate, the paperwork from when his stepfather adopted him, his mom's social security information, and everything else that we could think of, the passport office wants more. Now they want his mom's marriage certificate from her first marriage, my husband's estranged biological father, who is deceased... it's getting ridiculous, isn't it enough to have proven that his mom is an American citizen? Gahhhhh.

Does he have the right to Canadian citizenship? Nothing wrong with a Canadian traveling to Guatemala.

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2454 on: June 18, 2016, 05:16:34 am »

Does he have the right to Canadian citizenship? Nothing wrong with a Canadian traveling to Guatemala.

No, not that we know of, both parents are (or were) US citizens, and he was also adopted by his stepfather,  he was only ten months old when they left Canada, and I think he never claimed Canadian citizenship...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2455 on: June 18, 2016, 06:22:11 am »

No, not that we know of, both parents are (or were) US citizens, and he was also adopted by his stepfather,  he was only ten months old when they left Canada, and I think he never claimed Canadian citizenship...

I was wondering, because in the United States, as well as Mexico, all you need to do is be born within the territory to become a citizen, regardless of the parents' status. That way your husband would be Canadian, simply by showing his birth certificate.

But for US citizenship, you are making the argument of citizenship based on kinship. In Mexico, in 1998, for example, the Constitution was amended to allow foreign born citizens with at least one Mexican parent to become a citizen if he/she claims citizenship - all you need is a biological parent's birth certificate showing he/she was a citizen. It seems to me the US Department of State (?) personnel are trying to confirm or establish citizenship by way of checking the parents' status; this is the American version of the very same process.  They probably see him as a Canadian citizen with right to US citizenship by way of parents' nationality
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:37:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #2456 on: June 18, 2016, 06:51:50 am »

Any child born abroad to an American mother is automatically a US citizen, as my nephew found out a couple of years ago. Information on the father in unnecessary and irrelevant (a child born abroad to a US father has no such rights). It had taken several months and a couple of visits to the US embassy, by once he pointed out that fact, everything went through very quickly and painlessly. So if you can prove that his mother was American, that's all you should need ( and to let them know you know this).
Good luck.

I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2457 on: June 18, 2016, 07:12:10 am »

Any child born abroad to an American mother is automatically a US citizen, as my nephew found out a couple of years ago. Information on the father in unnecessary and irrelevant (a child born abroad to a US father has no such rights). It had taken several months and a couple of visits to the US embassy, by once he pointed out that fact, everything went through very quickly and painlessly. So if you can prove that his mother was American, that's all you should need ( and to let them know you know this).
Good luck.

That's an interesting asymmetry, isn't it? There is no such asymmetry in Mexico.

This also means that he may have a right to dual citizenship. There may be some benefits to that such as healthcare down the line.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:15:20 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2458 on: June 18, 2016, 11:47:06 am »

Does the US 'do' dual citizenship?

Heard yesterday that a cousin had passed away. Heard tonight that another one, younger than me, had had a heart attack!
Never ends, does it?
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #2459 on: June 18, 2016, 06:03:50 pm »

Does the US 'do' dual citizenship?
Yes, I was a dual US/UK citizen (US mother, UK father).

The asymmetry is apparently due to American GI's fathering too many kids who then tried to claim citizenship.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2460 on: June 18, 2016, 08:10:13 pm »

The new guy who moved in at the start of june had trouble making reant and security deposit all at once, so he's supposed to have been paying in parts. This came to light after he'd already moved in. I just got a message that he now told the landlord he's moving out at the end of the month. Not having given a months notice would mean he forfeits his security deposit to cover it. and he needs to settle the utilities costs before leaving. But I'm not sure he's paid his security deposit.

So now after a month of late night music playing, having his girlfriend secretly living here as an additional tenant half the time, and smoking pot by the smell of it; he leaves us not fully paid for the time he was here and possibly having to cover the third room ourselves for a month while we find somebody else.

what is wrong with people. literally this last 6 months of trying to find a housemate has been harder than door to door surveying people at dinner time voting and policy choices.

Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2461 on: June 19, 2016, 12:41:14 am »

Good luck.

Hasn't USA got a president that this applies to?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2462 on: June 19, 2016, 01:02:21 am »

Good luck.

Hasn't USA got a president that this applies to?

Not that I know of.  There was a presidential candidate (the hand picked conservative candidate in the Republican Party -  not "The Donald," but his closest nemesis, Ted Cruz), in the run for this year's election who had this precise situation of being born in Canada from American citizens.  And that was a serious legal challenge already, and constitutional scholars on the Republican side were planning on how to justify it for the General Election (not the "Primary" party elections we just had),  especially after President Obama's eligibility was called into question so harshly by the opposition. .

[Mod hat] No further politics discussion here, please folks[/Mod hat]

Theoretically in the US you need to be a "Natural Born Citizen" which most people would interpret as meaning you must be born within American territory.  But apparently it's open to interpretation and is a complex Constitutional issue in the US.  In Mexico, if I understand, however, it's an ironclad "no,  not born in territory never eligible, regardless of nationality. "

For definitions read here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born-citizen_clause

The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. Many scholars have also concluded that those who meet the legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at the moment of birth", regardless of place of birth, are also natural born citizens.[2][3] Every president to date was either a citizen at the adoption of the Constitution in 1789 or was born in the United States; of those in the latter group, there have been six that had a parent who was not born on U.S. soil.

~ ~ ~
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:04:08 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2463 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:24 pm »

In a nutshell:

3D printer alignment HELL!!!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #2464 on: June 21, 2016, 06:40:34 am »

I was on vacation, hadn't paid attention to their website. I wanted to catch up. Broken editor. Cannot add new announcements.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2465 on: June 21, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »

Bollocks, I've killed 4 clothes moths in a few days, with a fair amount of taxidermy in the abode this could become an expensive problem........... suggestions anyone?

Help!

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2466 on: June 21, 2016, 12:20:48 pm »

Bollocks, I've killed 4 clothes moths in a few days, with a fair amount of taxidermy in the abode this could become an expensive problem........... suggestions anyone?

Help!

Depends on the type of clothes moth. If I remember my IPM (Integrated Pest Management) stuff correctly, case bearing clothes moths tend to go for fibres and graze on textiles whereas webbing clothes moths will eat anything natural. But there are several routes to go down, you could (given that they'll be looking to mate and find somewhere to lay their eggs) lay down pheromone traps (but that would require knowing the type of moth) or invest in some moth balls (or similar product).

Either way, this site may prove useful http://www.whatseatingyourcollection.com/index.php

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2467 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:59 pm »

Depends on the type of clothes moth. If I remember my IPM (Integrated Pest Management) stuff correctly, case bearing clothes moths tend to go for fibres and graze on textiles whereas webbing clothes moths will eat anything natural. But there are several routes to go down, you could (given that they'll be looking to mate and find somewhere to lay their eggs) lay down pheromone traps (but that would require knowing the type of moth) or invest in some moth balls (or similar product).

Either way, this site may prove useful http://www.whatseatingyourcollection.com/index.php
Many thanks for that link, I will try and catch the next one I see and identify the bugger, I really don't want a few grands worth of collection becoming lunch   :'(

I've read that freezing can work, but I can't fit a 3ft kudu shoulder mount in, and what would I do with my chips and veg in the mean time, eh?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:58:15 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #2468 on: June 21, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »

but I can't fit a 3ft kudu shoulder mount in

*wheels a barrel of liquid nitrogen into the room*

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2469 on: June 21, 2016, 03:03:37 pm »

Many thanks for that link, I will try and catch the next one I see and identify the bugger, I really don't want a few grands worth of collection becoming lunch   :'(

I've read that freezing can work, but I can't fit a 3ft kudu shoulder mount in, and what would I do with my chips and veg in the mean time, eh?  Grin

Well freezing is a decent, non-invasive method for killing an established infestation, but may damage the item in question. If I remember rightly the NT's pest control contractor recommends using a 'zensect' unit to keep bugs away, or spraying the area around the item in question with a conservation grade insecticide.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2470 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:16 am »

generally with insects below freezing temperatures take many hours if not a few days. But heat above 130 F for an hour or so will wipe them out. Diatomacious earth is a mechanical insecticide and is not toxic.

depending on the insect, you can wrap an item in plastic drop clothes seal it air tight, suck air out with a pump and then fill it back in with co2 from dry ice. 72 hours would kill most insects.

steam cleaners also work for targetted control.

these tend to be the safest approaches.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2471 on: June 22, 2016, 02:35:23 am »

Dry cleaning will kill most critters. It is an expensive option, though.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2472 on: June 22, 2016, 05:02:45 am »

Vale

'Humbug'
10-11-2010 - 22-6-2016

"The Beautiful Boy"

Farewelled my blue cat this morning - very fast moving blood cancer.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2473 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:40 am »

Vale

'Humbug'
10-11-2010 - 22-6-2016

"The Beautiful Boy"

Farewelled my blue cat this morning - very fast moving blood cancer.
So sorry to hear about your cat, I'm dreading the day my Dog pops off, he's 17 and still full of beans at the moment, I can see a long walk in the rain to hide any tears when the day finally comes, not that I would be weeping of course, no, rufty tufty manly man, me, just happen to have something in my eye. Roll Eyes

Thanks for the ideas about my moth problem chaps, I caught one and, yep without a doubt....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ordered some pheromone traps from e-bay, I've had a root around and no signs of damage as yet or larvae, eggs, webbing just flitty adults. so no idea what they are munching on to grow, we shall see............
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:19:25 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2474 on: June 23, 2016, 11:56:06 pm »

The house two down from my house, has just been sold to a property developer / private lettings company. And they have confirmed its being turned into a six room HMO (House in Multiple Occupancy - ie shared accommodation "rooms to rent") which is not good. Sad

We (the people who live on this street) have already fought off two other HMO applications on houses on our block, but they were fairly easy to actually fight against as they were for eight or more room HMOs, which requires council planning approval, and realising it was going to be a costly and problematic undertaking, the developers pulled out and sold or rented the properties as normal homes.
However, a six room HMO does NOT require any planning approval (and also requires less safety devices such as fire doors, fire control panel, etc), so it is us against the developer (who is also the new landlord of this property). This is going to be tough... Undecided

We have all had problems with one previous HMO on this block, which thankfully closed it's doors and was sold off as a family house. And there is already one other HMO at the far end of the block, and it has recently had a near permanent police presence due to anti-social behavior, and a pervasive smell of growing cannabis wafting down the street. Roll Eyes This is a street full of families with kids or old people, we really don't want any more HMOs, or the problems that are associated with them.

Parking is already horrendous during the week, and absolutely nightmarish at a weekend (I regularly find cars blocking access to my yard - where I keep MY car -  in the rear lane at weekends - GRRRRR!!!) and this cannot possibly help matters! I can't even get parked outside my house to unload stuff from my car on most days, and with an HMO less than 60ft away, I'll never see my front door again!  Angry

To top it all off, I think the whole venture is going to go "tits up" as they plan to make the HMO a "High class 'Boutique' serviced shared accomodation" - meaning it has plastic chandeliers, "Shabby Chic" funiture, leather bed, flat screen TV, a kitchen with expensive wood counter tops, and a cleaner who comes once every two weeks. I know this because I have already looked at their other properties they have in the centre of town.  For the price they are going to charge for ONE ROOM, I charge the same for a WHOLE 3 / 4 BED ROOM FIRST FLOOR MAISONETTE FLAT!  WHY would you pay that much for a single bedroom in a shared house, when you can get a whole flat to yourself for the same or even less money?  Huh  This is the wrong area for that kind of renting.

I don't wish to boast or be bitchy, but my properties are all of equal or better quality to theirs... Put it this way, the first person to view one of my properties ALWAYS wants it on the spot! Several times they they have said they thought my rent amount was a misprint and should be much higher - they always look shocked when I tell them it's right.  Cheesy   I keep my rent at a reasonable level, I don't price gouge like most others do. Wink

What is likely to happen, few if any will take the rooms, and eventually they will have to recoup their money spent on the property, so will rent the rooms out to *anyone* who will take them at any price, and most likely those on DSS (housing benifits) payments. And that means the worst kind of people sharing a house (DSS payments and shared accommodation = person under the age of 35), and 90% of the time they will cause a problem in the street. I've seen it all before...  Roll Eyes

GAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Angry

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: