The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 10:34:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 51573 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #750 on: September 14, 2013, 06:52:21 am »

Frost came out looking rumpled and tired. "I should be arresting you but you took out the bastard that was pumping the streets of New York full of laz. Tho from what I over heard he had his hands in some worse things."

Una rested her head against Fetch dreaming of the wedding she had always wanted. It was a pleasant memory even if she did not know if it was her own.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #751 on: September 15, 2013, 02:40:53 am »

"We're not even sure what else he was into," Simms said. "A lot of the things that are illegal in your city are de riguer in ours, though. I wouldn't hold out much hope for extradition here, Mr. Frost, we've always held a strict neutrality policy, and despite the saber-rattlings of the United States' Military complex, we've repulsed every invasion or insurgency they've ever sent; we are not part of your jurisdiction or sphere of influence. Besides, Fetch, there," he nodded towad Fetch, who was strapping Una into an overstuffed chair type of seat beside the pilot's bucket. "is a Justice officer here, and a relatively high-up one at that--!"

"No, I'm not, " Fetch said, I just have powerful  superiors and contacts." He finished strapping Una in and sat down at the pilot's station and started warming the powerplants. "And, I'm a lot older than I look. Find your places, people, we're about to get going." He heard Una murmur something about weddings and "I do," and hoped it was him she was dreaming about, as he manipulated the multithrottle and started the squid's arms moving, compensating for the severed limbs and guiding the machine deftly along. "We should be topside in about five minutes..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #752 on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:39 am »

As they broke ground in to one of the craters near the tower and light flooded in to the cockpit Una woke up smiling. She yawned and stretched looking around. It was a new day for her full of odd and wonderful things.  "Good morning." She said looking at Fetch. She felt bubbly bordering on manic.  There was hunger for something gnawing at the back of her mind but she could ignore it for now. "What name do you like more? Apparently I was called Mallory once I don't know if I still I am her tho. She loved you too and I am pretty sure Sam did not make that up."

Frost looked out at the city and shook his head. "They called this a city of thieves and monsters but I wonder if you all say the same about the big apple. They are all ready filling in holes and scrapping the fallen robots. I bet in a week you wont even know it happened." He mused. "I am out of my depth, I was even before I fell in to that pit in the library. Heaven help anyone who goes against you."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #753 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:42 am »

Fetch looked over at Una as he parked set the parking mode and the body of the squid settled amongst its arms. "Una... Mallory..." he tasted each name, savoring their sound and flavor, and found that a decision was difficult. "Whatever name you have, it will mean 'love' to me," he answered. "I've remembred a lot more things, now, too. Some of them fit, some don't, exactly. I remember actually being Mikhail, And I remember you, as 'Mallory.' I remember Dad, too, and Mom, and Fitzroy. I never could imagine why Fitz liked me when most of the rest of 'em couldn't stand my shadow, let alone the rest of me." He heard himself speaking. "I seem to be talking like Mikhail too, now. The Tong folks'll think I'm not me." he stopped, chuckling, and then paused, struck by a sudden thought.

"I know what you mean, though, I think," he continued after a moment. "Which me is me, now? I think maybe we're both a combination of our past and current selves; it's not as if we can be anyone else." He sniffed a chuckle. "Nobody's the same person a year later than they were a year before, and yet they are, but just...different, somehow..."

He floundered for a minute, called in his I. D. to the Tower and requested assistance, and then finally said, "So, I'd say that whichever name you want is best. I think I prefer 'Mallory,' now that I remember things more completely, but I've also grown to love 'Una.' I think of you as both, actually. Is that too bizarre?"

------
Simms said to Frost and the air in general, "Thieves and monsters, yeah. That sums it up pretty well." He turned and leaned back on the railing that surrounded the control console, and breathed a moment as the machine settled to inertness. "Those, and regular people too, and minions. We're a city of villains and lackeys, descended from same, our town founded by one of the greatest villains of all time. Bad Guys and Gray-area guys, bounty hunters, hitmen assassins, spies, counterspies, mercs, gangsters, corporate robber barons, you name it, they all come here sooner or later, on the lam or on holiday. The City's black underside is darker than most Occult Society temples. The Golden Dawn an dteh Black Sun'd get chewedup and spat back out within a fortnight. And, you're right, God himself help whoever's stupid enough to make us all band together to fight 'em off." He took out a cigarette box, opened it, offered one to Frost and Dee, tamped his own on the box's lid, and struck a strikewheel lighter, lit up, and offered the flame to the other two men. "Ain't no place I'd rather be."

"Hear, Hear," Fetch said as he unbucked his seat belt and moved to unstrap Una and help her to her feet.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #754 on: September 16, 2013, 03:25:45 am »

"I think I will have to try both names and see what I like." Una stood up and wobbled. All of a sudden her legs were not playing nice. "I feel sort of empty. It is odd." Fetch's com link crackled. "Justice Fetch what the hell is going on! I have over 30 people in the lobby that charged in and passed out. Half the bunkers have had their bottoms torn out and I have justices lost in the tunnels." The Chief was having one hell of a day.

Lucretia was being prepared for surgery to have her implant removed. For mow the laz was stopping it but that wouldn't last forever. She disliked doctors mostly because her family hired the most cold German physician she had ever met. He had not given her a good outlook on the medical profession.  All in all she wished Dee was back.  He would understand her need without her having to embarrass herself and voice it.     
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:51:06 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #755 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:38 pm »

Fetch answered the Chief, "Apparently it was all an attempt by one of Una's relatives to gain control of her and the Golden Gun, which it turns out is actually the Golden Gunship, a flying machine that Una invented when she was Mallory Malone and I was Mikhail LeCroix. It's keyed to her alone, apparently. That "Sam" kid turned out to be her uncle Granger, who's been dosing himself with mainlined laz for the past fifty or so years; made him look and sound like a teenager.

He injected Una with what smelled to me like Mnemolex, a laz-based drug my Master invented to carry memory-inducing and -preserving enzymes, literally chemical memories. It was and still is horrifically addictive, but fortunately I have half of the syringe-load in my breastplate pocket. If you can arrange am infirmary O.R., and some bloodwork and pathology spacefor us, I can do a procedure that will remove the addiction from Una's body. Also, it might be a good idea to go ahead and find the Gunship, and for that we need Una whole and well.

He let out a breath, then took another, and added, "Anyway, myself and Mister Dee caught up to Sam, or Granger if you prefer, and took car of him; he'll hurt no one else for ever, barring resurrection. He and his lackeys, including Andrew, implanted thousands of people with subcutaneous spine-tapping implants that control their thoughts and actions. I recommend removal for all citizens and otherwise who test positive for the devices; they're located at the base of the skull, on one of the top three spinal vertebrae. I cut my own device out, but I doubt anyone else could survive that, except maybe Una.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:28:38 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #756 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:05 am »

There was a pause as the Chief took in what he said.  "The infirmary is open for you. Hell if you could tell our medics how to pull those implants so they have to hack at it less that may get the counsel off my back.  They are not happy with Sam or who ever sent in the clowns. I am trying to spin some of the still working ones has a historical treasures but they aren't buying it."

Una brightened. "What if I loan the golden gunship to the city?  I used plans and tech from the The Emerald doctor himself to make it and I think I have some of his notes or I had them 50 years ago." She paused looking concerned. "Fetch why do I strongly want to take that notebook and ship it to an address I have never heard of."

Frost looked at the girl worried. "No wonder Granger was after her. He always was after an edge against the up and coming gangs. I though he was running some nasty guns but I could never prove it." 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #757 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »

"Because 'Sam' put that suggestion in the Mnemolex mixture," Fetch said, wonderingly, in spite of himself. "He's made a vast improvement in the formula, we used to could only get in emotions and maybe the desire to literally 'surrender your fortunes'; This is the first time I've seen a mixture that could carry alphanumeric specifics like in an address." A dangerous development, he thought. Learning as well as history could be adversely affected by such a thing.

"Well, she'll be coming for it soon," Fitzroy Malone said to his manservant. They went down from the single suite of rooms left from the ruin that was once the Malone Family Estate descended the dank, mouldy steps down . she descended the downwardly-spiralling stone steps, he opened several evenly-spaced metal-and-wood cabinets mounted on the rough-stone walls to his left. First, he pulled up and pushed down hard and rapidly a large lever, after which lights gradually came on in the descending corridor before and behind him. Then, the muffled, yet powerful Whummpp!-whiiine sounds of dynamos and generator mechanism starter units echoed from within the inner wall of the spiral, followed by a deep thrumming and the beginnings of a strong ambient electrical field. Then, there came the sounds of pumps doing their work, discernable beneath it all. At the bottom of the stairway, Fitzroy stood in the algal muck puddled before a hoarym massive old door, and removed a ring of brass and iron keys from his dressing-coat pocket, followed by a spouted can of oil thinned with kerosene, whose spout he inserted into the ancient lock built into the brass-and-steel-bound oak door that stood before him, It's three-inch-thick planks green with mold and slightly damp, like everything else in the dank stairwell. Everything bore signs of extremely high quality worksmanship and high durability, along with extreme age and disuse.

Fitzroy worked the feed lever of the oilcan, and then inserted the chunky iron key, turning it with some difficulty at first. Soon, however, the lock moved as it was designed to do, and bolts could be heard sliding out of their holes in the doorframe on both sides of the arched portal. Dim, red light greeted him as the ancient door creaked open, glinting off of the bits of polished brass, steel, and other reflective surfaces of of the shroud-covered behemoth before him. "Well, Jeremy, go and get Nibs and Floak, and lets start getting her prepared for Her Mistress' call," Fitzroy said, as he walked over to check the ceiling-opening mechanism. "Oh, and tell Garraot, the gardener fellow, to make sure the old terrace is free of debris and junk, will you?"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #758 on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:16 pm »

Leaving fetch and una to their own workings,  Dee hailed a cab and made his way back to the LeCroix building where an under secretary informed him Lucretia was about to undergo her surgery.  Limping his way down the stairs as quickly as he could, DEE shoulder checked a nurse who, not recognizing him at first through all the blood and soot covering him, tried to stop him from entering the room. The attending physician looked up And almost fainted as Dee smashed into the room looking like a BBQ 'd zombie from hell, covered in sams blood amd hrey matter, clothing scorched by the fires that consumed the body, limping from where hed hurt his ankle tackling a robot and his arm still damgling limply by his side.
"Hows our patient Doc?" His gravelly voice rumbled through thw room and seemed to shock the doctor into recognition. "Alls well sir" the doctor squeaked as he began rattling off some medical jargon dee noether understood nor paid attention to as he made his way to his ladys side.
Taking her hand, he squeezes gently and smiled down at her. "Told you id come back. I'm not necissarily in one piece but im here "

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #759 on: September 17, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »

Una looked worried. "Can you take him out of my head but leave the rest of me? I like remembering you.  I had our whole wedding planned out you know."

Lucretia looked up at him like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. "Stay with me through this." She did not say the desperate please but still it hung in the air.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #760 on: September 18, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »

"We should be able to isolate the psychomental chemical vehicle, that's not a problem; the only sticking point would be the cerebro-thalamic receptor action potential levels, and avoiding myelitic erosion. Blood filtration and plasmic flush are usually a cakewalk." Fetch looked  up and saw everyone's faces. "I was being raised by Dad to be the head of the company, but Master Otto found and exploited a latent affinity in me for medicine, in addition to my 'regulator' duties; um, he called what we did in the laboratory "Special Pathology."

"In other words, Una, I should be able to get your mind-brain interaction back to something like normalcy." It suddenly hit him, what she had  said about a wedding, and he flushed, then blushed redly. "I can't absolutely guarantee that the memories will be exactly the same afterward as they are now. It would be a good idea, I think, to make some more memories to shore up the old ones... If you still want to..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #761 on: September 18, 2013, 05:58:53 pm »

Una smiled and held his hand. "I know you will fix me." She looked at Fetch with love in her eyes.  "Both old me and new me both trust you with our life."  Even with the altered memories screaming in her ear that altering them was bad and would hurt Una knew that Fetch would never damage her.  It was a very comforting thing.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #762 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:04 am »

Kissing lucretias forehead, Dee held her hand gently. " Always."
The doctor was thin lipped as he approached with the anesthetic, it was an extremely simple procedure however, knowing that any complicationd would likely result in a forfeiture of not only his life but his entire families as well.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #763 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:51 am »

"It tried to tell me to hate you in the end but I told it to fuck off." Lucreta smiled as she went under.  Standing up to it made her feel so strong. The doctor made very sure she was out before taking blade to flesh. 

With Dee watching he moved slowly with a masters precision and revealed the implant. There was a harsh intake of air as he saw the blinking red light.  "This unit is booby trapped to stop her heart if I remove it.  I can get it out but it is going to take an extra set of hands to clamp things."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #764 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:48 am »

The infirmary was spotless and filled with all sorts of special machinery , requested by Fetch, for analyzing and filtering bodily chemicals and the like. A Research and Development physician stood by to one side, notebook in hand, dictaphone already humming and scritching along close at hand, an orderly standing by with an entire gurney stacked high with blank cylinders; they wanted to get the entire procedure documented and observed for future reference. A team of subordinate doctors and nurses stood by as requested, and as Fetch entered, looking much the same as the rest of them, they introduced themselves. Fetch thanked then in advance for their help, and began the slow process of fully anesthetizing Una; she had already been administered several strategic local injections in the relevant areas; others would follow, both before, during, and afterward. As Fetch lowered the Ether mask onto her face, and started the drip, he said to his love and mentee, "Sleep , now, and awake to a better world." I hope, he thought to himself.

He started work and continued for much of the night; the memories of his work with Professor Otto still fresh in his mind as though he had last performed it the day before. After the final blood filtration and chemical adjustment was performed, he pronounced the operation finished, and led the way to wash up, and then followed the orderlies and nurses as they moved Una to her half of their adjoined rooms. Fetch stayed sitting by her side, holding her hand as the first rosy-grey fingers of dawn caressed the top of the Tower.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #765 on: September 19, 2013, 04:46:07 am »

Una dreamt of a long journey from deep under the city where the bottom of the ocean met the piers to the top of the tallest tower.  She watched the land as it changed, buildings rising and falling with people moving like blurs.  The ghost of the city she had known from her childhood lingered, transparent but still there. It felt powerful but lonely.  She could feel a heart beat beside hers and reached for it.  Una woke up trying to pull Fetch's arm to her chest. Her eyes were different now with the blue that had infected long ago them fading to only a slight tint.  "Hello." She said shyly "I think it worked. At least I feel mostly alone in my head."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #766 on: September 19, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

Washing his hands thoroughly , Dee said "show me what to do"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #767 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:51 pm »

"See those little wires coming out the sides?  We need to pull the first two wires at the same time while without touching the second set" Once we have that out the rest is simple." The doctor wiped his brow. He had a lot riding on this.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #768 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:08 am »

Growling in annoyAnce Dee did as he was told. "Ready"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #769 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:22 pm »

He wondered again why he took this job and then remembered the gambling debts of a misspent youth.  "All right sir in three, two, one." As he pulled on the wire the heart stopping current tried to flow through him but the rubber grips on his clamps stopped it causing sparks to pop up from time to time. "Now if we can pull the unit out without making a connection your lady will be just fine."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #770 on: September 21, 2013, 02:56:57 am »

Fetch clutched Una's hand and smiled, tears in the corners of his eyes. "Your Eyes are back as I remember them, mostly, " he said. "Just a hint of blue, so you can probably still use your power. It should be interesting." He nodded as the attending doctor walked in, pulling a tray of of instruments on casters behind him. Fetch took the concave reflector oculus and donned it, reflecting the light of the dawn into first one of Una's eyes, and then the other; their function was encouragingly normal.

"Now for a series of silly questions, or that's probably how they'll seem," Fetch said, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. First, Who are you, and who am I?"

Simmers Wellenhott and Bullock Unit sat outside the Chief's Office, having been sent there for a "debriefing" after Bullock had gotten cleaned up and cosmetically altered. He was no longer in clown garb, but sported what looked like an early form of zoot suit, broad-brimmed hat and all, but with a waistcoat that looked like watered silk. Simmers was more conservatively dressed, but still sported a watch whose chain was excessively long, and while his own hat was not as wide as Bullock's, it was still more of an expeditionary fedora than a business one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:43:47 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #771 on: September 21, 2013, 06:01:41 am »

"I am Mallory or Una Tho I am leaning towards Mallory or Mal like you used to call me.  And you are my love Fetch or Mikhail and I should have never trusted my uncle when he said you were seeing another lady on the side. I have always regretted that." Mallory felt far less confused than she had been before the operation.

The chief was sitting behind her massive desk. "Come in." She looked him up and down and raised an eye at the robot. "How are you controlling that thing?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #772 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:07 am »

"That's good," Fetch said, "Since I never was actually 'seeing' a woman, but rather keeping tabs on an investment; That was Dr. Tristan Tripoli, who was quite definitely too male and too wizened for my tastes," he grimaced, "and working on a relatively inexpensive (for the time) process for extracting micron-sized gold silt particles from seafloor auriferous mud deposits. I wonder if anything ever came of that?" He shrugged. "I guess it's moot, now, in any case."

He put a prism in a beam of sunlight that shone from the window onto the cover sheet of the bed. "Tell me, how much of this spectrum can you see?"  As he spoke, he took a small contraption of copper wires, silver gears, and crystalline levers , arranged around a spherical sculpture of what looked like a Chinese astrologer's idea of what the heavens should look like, worked in greenish-white nephrite jade, with the stars pinpointed in miniscule gold beads.  "And concentrate on this; try to make the sphere spin, say, counterclockwise, please."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #773 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:36 am »

Mallory studied the light. She knew more words and concepts but this was still hard. "It is a rainbow but there is an odd sort of glow around the edges. I don't know the word of the color tho." The orb spun first clockwise and then counterclockwise. "Sorry I always get those confused."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #774 on: September 22, 2013, 04:10:45 am »

Simms drew himself up like a sergeant up on charges before a courts-martial (which he had been, or the nearest Progress City equivalent, the last time a foreign power tried to take over the City militarily), and answered, "I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think something got knocked either loose or back into place when I accidentally nudged him when I was cleaning up after some techie that was workin' on that Ulysses tank, down in the R&D dungeon. Bullock here (though I didn't know his name at the time) clicked and whirred, and his lights came on, and he asked for instructions. I told him to stay quiet and be still. Later, he asked as I was about to leave if he should come with me; I said, 'Sure, follow me, I'll get us both killed.' It's a line from the war, Chief ma'am, us guys in the Bloodbucket Brigade tossed it back and forth all the time, since the cap'ns were always trickin' us into volunteering to lead a charge or something.

"So, I used it outta old habit. Sarcastically, I'm kinda ashamed to admit. Next thing I know, he's behind me in the Library askin' how I plan to get both've us killed. He's done what I say an' called me 'Master' ever since. One of the R&D guys right after us 'n Fetch came back said it's an old Emerald System code-phrase. Seems th' Ol' Doc himself used it all the time. I'm thinkin' o' makin' Mister Unit, here, my partner, he's got a real goldmine of a calc'n function, and he's strong as a steamtractor. 'Sides, I kinda like the fellow. I think he's startin' to think for 'imself, a bit."
---------------
"That's alright, the result tells me that you are still in full command of your powers," Mikhail said. Fetch was thinking of himself in those terms more and more, though the ninjalike Chinese assassin identity remained; it seemed the two were combining, rather than one giving way to the other.

"The device is designed to only be moved by controls exerted with device command being the goal; If you had possessed and tried to use just telekinesis to do the job, for example, a silver flame would have appeared over the top of the sphere and nothing more. At least, that's what Mavis tells me."

"One last thing; do you remember where the Golden Gunship is? As long as it's secure, there's no problem, but it might be best to make sure."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: