The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2019, 12:38:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 51892 times)
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer
United States United States

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2013, 06:15:00 am »

"Well that was unexpected."DEE said, annoyed At what just happened.

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2013, 06:26:34 am »

"I can track them, It will take a while to get the signal separated from the rest but I can do it. I am going to need a doctor after this.  I can't go around with this thing inside me."  Lucretia paced carefuly avoiding the hole in the floor. They would have to get a builder too. It looked like the squid had taken out the floor and part of the wall under them.  "We will have to tack repairs on to the bill we send the chief."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2013, 04:42:26 pm »

"Your right you can't. That's why your staying here. Figure out how to track it then Me and fetch Will kill it. But as long as your chipped I can't risk you going with us. " his voice was cold and analytical as he spoke. Any human warmth or emotion having fled his naturally harsh features as his mind locked into The more predatory state usually activated by a large dose of Lazarus.  His eyes gleamed in the shattered rays of light piercing the dust. Flecks of obsidian in a granite cliff. "Pad their bill, then send units to help the Justices clean up this mess. Start hiring contractors to fix the hole, call grandpa Julian and let him know what's happening.  Also send him the financial stats on the quarter so far. He should be very pleased about that. There's should be a package from grandma in the mail for me. Knowing her she probably sent you something in there to. Contact Marshall and have him And the praetorian team evacuate the immediate floors till we can fix this.  That should keep you busy for a while till me can get back. Now where did fetch go? "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »

Lucretia broke out a silver case and opened it to reveal a stylish transmitter. She adjusted knobs barely bugger than match head listening intently. It took her five mins of silence to be satisfied with the result.  "I think I have it. Fetch is down stairs trying to brake through the rubble. At least I think that blur is him." She kissed him and pressed the transmitter in to his hand. "It will get louder as you get closer." Lucretia kissed Dee again. "Come back to me whole all right?"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #729 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:50 pm »

Wrapping an arm around her waist, Dee pulled lucretia tight to his body as hr returned the kiss. "Always" then he dissapeares down the whole in the floor to catch up with his uncle.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #730 on: September 12, 2013, 03:36:52 am »

One way to look at the situation at the time of the floor cave-in was that Fetch was dragged down along with Una. It was a split-second kind of thing, however; he had actually done what was typical for him, which was to find an interspatial discontinuity to stand, vampire-like, on basically the lower wall of the room, instinctually grounding himself and then grabbing for Una. He actually managed to grip her fingers briefly, but then, to his horror, his love was dragged from his grasp and disappeared into the abyss, too quickly for him to follow. He'd not hesitated at all, but simply leapt off of his dubious perch, diving down after her, only to be met with a storm of electrical plasmic bolts that fried him and what parts of his uniform were not covered with standard duty armor. or made of sterner stuff than uniform cloth. He had been knocked cold by the electrocution, and had awoken dazed and smelling burnt, the arcs of his body's bizarre healing process casting actinic lights on the rubble around him.

He'd climbed to his feet and started trying to heave the boulders and blocks of shattered masonry out of the way. He had made headway, although the roof of the rough tunnel had collapsed several times. The complex geology of the island on which the City was built was revealed, a mixture of loam, sand, gravel, volcanic ash, limestone, tufa, basalt, andesite, pumice, sandstone, granite... it was as if an entire continent were present in close-crowded miniature. It made for alternately easy and insanely difficult tunneling in a straight line, and tortuously twisted and convoluted tunneling when one followed the paths of least resistance. In Fetch's case, it was a matter of huge blocks pulled in after the machine beast's passage; after awhile even his genetically-engineered strength was taxed, and he decided on quicker and perhaps more reckless methods.

As Dee caught up, Fetch called back, "glad for the help, Dee," He paused as he drew the heavy combat blaster, "But please stand back for a bit. I'm not entirely sure that this won't bring the roof in..." He adjusted the blaster in several different ways, burned a series of successively-larger holes in a house-sized boulder to his left, and then said, "Well, here goes something - I hope." And he opened up with a beam whose diameter was roughly equal to the height of a midget human. The lightning-bright bolt struck the mass of rubble in front of the, and then there was a kind of slow-motion explosion that faded back into, and then through, the face of the rubble wall, flash-melting a way through. Afterward, Fetch stepped up to the circular, red-glowing, man-high breach hole, and said, "help me kick some dirt on the floor of this thing, will you? Then we can run through."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #731 on: September 12, 2013, 05:10:47 am »

Shoveling dirt with his foot, Dee asked "wouldn't it be faster to track them on the surface?  We know they're heading for new York anyway "
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #732 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:21 am »

"Can you guarantee that the signal you're following is the one that has her?" Fetch asked, pausing briefly. "What if they change vehicles? How will you be able to tell in such a case? It might be best to track both that way and this way. Do you have a radio that we can use to communicate with your tracking unit?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2013, 05:32:53 am »

It smelled like burnt hair, dust and abandoned places.  Una shuttered as she woke up her clothes were burned and her skin stung. "Sam are you there?" She croaked turning over. They were outside of the monster now she was on the floor by what looked like a desk.  There was carpet below her some mottled faded color. Una tried to sit up but her arms flopped under her.  

"Let me help." Came a voice from above.

"Sam? Are You ok?  Where are we?" Una was lifted up and set in a chair. She looked to see who had lifted her and it was a robot a delicate one with a painted face. Sam was sitting on the desk looking at her.

"Ah good to see you are all right. I wasn't sure." Sam looked her over and opened his knapsack pulling out a leather case.

"Fetch will find us don't worry." She tried to reach out for him with her mind but the robot touched her and suddenly the connection was cut.

"Yes I planned on that." Sam smiled and Una shivered something was wrong.

Frost was handing this badly. "You have to let me out. That boy isnt a boy at all. He is Granger Thompson-Malone. I am a police detective was sent from new york to bust him for Laz distribution."

"I think he is right on time actually." Sam said checking his watch. He turned it to show her the incredibly complex screen marking all of their positions.  "You don't remember me do you?  Well I suppose you wouldn't it was a very long time ago.  I was there the day you were taken."

Una's stomach dropped he was the one from the dreams, the one that watched. "But..."  She tried to get up but the robot held her in place.

"Yes I was older then, laz has been kind to me.  I was the one that sold you out La Crox but the bastard welched so I hacked in to his bluelight network.  The things I learned from that, like how to distill memories." He smiled opening the case to reveal a syringe with what looked like laz in it. "Like this. These are your memories, pulled from your live bluelight feed the same thing I have inside that robot that allows it to control the old emerald systems. Did you know your mother was descended from one of the good doctor's high level minions?"  Una looked at him speechless. "I know I was rather shocked too. She passed along something important to you, a way to access the golden gun and I think I know how.  It is in your blood and once I get you under control we will test that theory. I know you had a way to bring the system online.  You threatened to fire it if your father would not let you merry that La Crox boy."  

"I was going to merry him?" Una said as the robot held her arm out and rolled up sleeve.

"Yes but I couldn't let that happen. So I sowed the seeds of discord. It was simple and I made sure you ended up where I wanted. Andrew made that simple.  He never knew how much I skimmed or what I was doing.  He was an excellent test in Laz aided memory remixes and you will be my master work. I am going to give you what you have been looking for, your memories, altered to suit my needs. Soon you will be a puppet and I will hold the strings.  They will save you and I just in time and they won't even know what is happening until it is too late." He prepped the syringe and Una screamed trying to fight. This would be worse than being under the bluelight.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2013, 06:31:17 am »

The noise from ahead stopped. Fetch quickened his pace, hoping against hope itself that the absence of the sound did not mean that he had lost the machine's trail. He had gone on ahead, not waiting for Dee. The pull of Una's distress, which he somehow felt most acutely, had grabbed ahold of him and spurred him forward. He could not have explained it well, if he had been asked, just how the process worked, but he could palpably feel both the girl's location, and a very strong approximation of her feelings. As he went along, he thought about the events in Dee's office just before the machine grabbed Una.

"Your neck is talking to me. It is telling you to grab me and run away."

Odd. And now his own neck was feeling oddly warm, just below the base of his skull, and if he knew the sensations of his own rather arcane frame, there was an arc playing over that area, causing the warm sensation to come and go, and a staticky feeling that seemed to travel up into his brain. Lucretia's words came back to him, just then.

"That fucking bastard chipped me. He did it to some of the scientists said it would keep them honest. It is supposed to make them obey. No wonder I had a headache someone was trying to control me."

In a sudden flash of intuition, he reached up, felt the place, and just barely detected by feel a tiny wound scar, as if he had been stabbed with an icepick; there was a bulge as well.

"Aha, Subcutaneous implant," he muttered, pulling one of his swords, preparing himself for what he was about to attempt. "Dee, if you are back there, call Miss Lucretia and tell her whgere the chip is, and also tell her to call the Tower, the code is "Founder's Square." Tell her to tell whoever answers that code, and to tell the chief where the inplants are, and that it is likely that large numbers of the population are affected - and that I am also, but may shortly not be." He realized that he could in fact be on someone's scanner at that very moment; they knew he would be coming! Best to change that fact if possible.

"Come now, Fetch, or Mikhail, or whomsoever you may really be," he said sardonically out loud to himself, "You know you must, and you know it will not kill you." He shut out the possiblility of pain, and reached behind his neck, found the spot, and with a sharp battle cry, SLICE! He cut into the back of his neck , until the sword's edge ground sharply on something far sooner than it should have. He dropped the sword in agony, and then dropped to his knees in even worse pain as he jammed his fingers in and yanked out the solid mass within. There was a sensation as of a pin or needle being yanked from his spine, and then it was gone, all that was left was a mass of arcs playing over the woumnd in the nape of his neck and the acute yet fading pain of the slash and the aftermath of his jabbing his fingers into it. He sat there, crumpled on his knees, until a sharp scream from far ahead caught his ears while at the same time Una's impression seared across his mind like an anguished scream of tortured synapses.

"UNAAA!"

He screamed her name aloud and grabbed up his fallen shortsword, drawing the other and sprinted ahead all in one fluid motion, leaving the bloody lump of the implant on the filthy tunnel floor.

A huge sewer rat, which had wandered in our of sheer, voraciously hungry curiosity, ran up, scenting the blood, and caught the thing in it's jaws, dragging it back the way it had come. On the screen in Sam's office, the blip showed Fetch (or rather, his implant) moving slowly back toward the sewer's mainline, which the machine beast had breached in it's headlong flight, while Fetch himself continued in his sprint.

Fetch reached the parking place of the Octopoid machine, and switched to sheer animal instinct, following Una's scent as well as the impression of her distress, which strangely seemed to both ramp up and dissipate at once. He slowed as he neared the office door, stopping in disbelief as he saw what he could not fathom; why was Sam injecting Una, and why did she seem to be trying to struggle? No matter, Sam is obviously a threat, and Una's in trouble. the thought flashed through his mind, like a shower of sparks into a keg of gunpowder. Rage blew up inside of him, and he lunged forward through the door, cuffed Samuel away from Una, against the far wall, and snatched the half empty syringe from her neck, clapping his bandanna against the injection site as he clutched her desperately to his chest.

"What have you DONE?!" Fetch demanded venomously. "Her relative or not, young or not, If she is harmed in any way I shall take you apart and make you eat your insides!"

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:16:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:40 am »

Sam looked at him with well rehearsed confusion. "I was only giving her back what she was looking for, Her memories. I told her life times worth of memories would hurt."

Una shook like a leaf eyes rolling back in her head. She tried to speak but it came out a scramble. Her heart hammered in her chest.

"I don't know what giving her half a set will do but it looks like nothing good." He was still in control and dammed if he wasn't going to stay that way.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »

"Stay back, you." Fetch was having none of it.  He snatched up the syringe, and sniffed the needle. "Interesting, it smells just like Master's Mnemolex. I wonder, did you have a similar syringe for me?" He smiled knowingly. "You look very familiar, you know. I've been remembering quite a bit lately, perhaps I'll remember you, too. Ah, wait, it was something about Me and Una, wasn't it? You disapproved of our relationship." In fact Fetch had overheard snippets of such things as he rushed closer through the passageway, but "Sam" didn't need to know that.

"Otto von Klevener, the Black Puppetteer, was my master," Fetch explained, sticking the syringe in a metal compartment in his breastplate, normally used for keeping evidence or ammo. "And he made me from the near-corpse of Mikhail Lecroix and samples from a Tong assassin. Master Otto was called the 'Black Puppetteer,' because that was what he did with people; he made them his puppets. Mnemolex was especially effective in that process. Did you know? I injected the first test subject, a man named Vernor, with the first batch." He spat to one side, as if the words tasted bad. 'Your chemical smells remarkably similar. Tell me, how many of those 'decanted' memories are real?" Fetch smiled coldly, slipping out a spare hideout blaster. "Don't be shocked, it's not really a new Idea, after all. You can't be blamed for not knowing the origin of the drug." He pointed the blaster at Sam. "So now, tell me, why should I let you live, 'Sam'?"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:27:12 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #737 on: September 12, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »

One problem with being as big as Dee was, was that on the rare occasions he was forced to run, it was damn near impossible to stop. He had just finished relaying Fetchs message to Lucretia when several cries from up ahead echoed down the tunnel and sent him running into a what looked like a small refueling substation for the octopoidal machine.

Fetch had disappeared into an office ahead of him just as he emerged from the tunnel at a dead run. Steering towards the door he barely had time to think "this is gonna hurt" before he hit it.

Unless specifically built to act as a barrier, most doors sole purpose was to allow convenient access to a room while keeping cold air in. Which is why when Dee hit, the door practically flew off its hinges In an explosion of wood splinters  as 260lbs of pissed off crime lord came barreling through it moving full tilt  boogie. Still unable to stop safely without hurting himself, Dee shoulder tackled the robot holding Una down and carried it clear across the room where they hit the wall with a sickening xrunch and squeal of metal being torn and the distinct pop of Dees shoulder leaving its socket.

With a groan of pain, Dee pushed himself off the shattered wreck and staggered to his feet. One arm dangling uselessly by his side. His right arm however worked fine as he levelled the smith and wesson at sam and blew out his right kneecap.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:39 pm »

Sam screamed and slid down the wall clutching his leg. "You fucking bastard. If I die so do her memories. I have the only pure copies and you will never find them."  He looked at Dee and grinned. "Did you find the hidden surprise I hid for you?  It was almost a shame to cut such pretty open.  Did you know I can tell her heart to stop beating from almost anywhere in the world?" Sam was slowly inching to the squid.

Una's eyes opened and she looked up at him with fear. "Mikhail? You died, papa told me so."  The voice was different and so was the look in her eyes. She was fighting the take over but who knew how long she could last.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2013, 07:15:13 pm »

"Hush, love, it's all right, or will be soon. This fellow here, who claims to be your relative, has just tried to inject you with his version of your memories, mixed, I'll warrant, with certain psychotropic mind-controlling agents and chemical suggestions."

"It appears she already has her memories," Fetch said, laying Una down gently.l A murderous, look cane to his face - well, more so than it was already, at any rate.  He winked out to total stealth and shifted to 'Sam's' side, grabbing his arm.  "Not so hasty... 'Sam,' if in fact that is your name. You know, you look rather familiar, in a wanted-poster kind of way, but not by that name. We get all sorts of bounty hunters and bounty/interment traffic here, you know." He looked at Dee. "The implant can be removed. I removed mine, after all. For an unmodified human, it might be rather more difficult. I heal in a matter of moments,  but for the record, mine was just under the base of my skull, tapped into my spine. You probably have one as well; It could be jammed effectively using certain drugs such as laz, but the best permanent methods would likely be removal, or high-dec sonic shock, to break the circuit." He heard some rustling about in the Squid.

"Who is in there!? Progress City Justice Corps! Come on out, Or I'll start blasting parts of it off. Come to think of it, I think I'll do that anyway." He moved the muzzle of his blaster away from Sam, and burned away in three snapped shots the ball-like hinge links where two of the arms attached to the body; the machine lurched to that side drunkenly. Fetch turned the muzzle back on Sam. "Quit struggling, boy-man." He sniffed, catching the fellow's pomade.

"Boss Feng's fillips, man, you stink of Laz-sweat. What do you do, sleep with a transfusion bag of the stuff?" Another, deeper inhalation. "And, now I know what seemed off about you; you distinctly do not smell like a mere boy. Those are an adult's fear/stress scents, and a quite mature one, at that."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:13 pm »

Sam could hear some of the mole robots getting closer. All he needed was a little more time. "I wasn't lying when I said I was related to her.  I just happen to be her uncle instead of her nephew.  With enough Laz in the right place I have my own fountain of youth."

Una let out a gasp.  "Uncle Tommy but you were the security director for our tower. You were funding my research. Why do this?"

Sam laughed.  "He was going to give the whole dammed city to you on a silver platter. While I his loyal brother was left hanging on like your bodyguard. Like I would settle for that.   I know the emerald frequencies thanks to you and soon the golden gunship will be mine.  Do you feel the cravings yet because I guarantee you will soon.  Even on half a dose I don't think you can resist forever."

"You bastard." Una said trying to crawl at him. The robot Dee had crushed twitched and tried to move but the body was too damaged.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #741 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:43 am »

"That's enough of that" Dee fired the remaining five express bullets into Sams face at point blank range, ignoring the blood splattering him with gore from the cratered ruin that used to be Sam's head. "Shouldn't have threatened my girl." Reloading,  he rifled through the cadavers pockets, handing the contents to fetch before using a can of gas for the octopus machine to set the body on fire. "Is the girl OK?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #742 on: September 13, 2013, 03:06:12 am »

"Depends on how you define 'OK,' " Fetch answered. "If He was saying what I think he was saying, My Love is now addicted to either Laz or a Mnemolex derivative; either one tends to have withdrawal characteristics on the order of a major-level psychotropic, as I'm sure you already know in regard to Laz at least." He cocked his head to one side. "Trouble approaching; three at least, maybe six autotronic devices, probably intelligent judging by the uneven footfall vibrations." He listened to the odd sounds. "Multipedal, I expect. Could be Sleipnirs,* though no one's used those in a half-century or more."

Fetch looked Dee in the eye. "Please, I can remove the worst of Una's addiction, and take the implant out of Lucretia, or tell your medics how  to do so (it's booby-trapped, I think), but We need to get out of here now. Sleipnirs are time-consuming to fight, and they go rogue on the first thing they see if they lose the controlling signal." He reached for the hand of Dee's arm whose shoulder was dislocated, and put his foot under the same armpit. "Give me your hand. This'll hurt like Shaandu's devils even through the laz, but you'll be able to move more easily."

------
*Sleipnirs: six-legged, two-armed animatronic attack drones, based on the Norse legend of Odin's six-legged horse of the same name, but augmented with anything from sabre claws to gatlings; notoriously difficult to put down by any method other than a very lucky frontal shot to the aetheric brain located in the "whithers" area (the chest area, analogous to that of a horse). Some burrowing types are reputed to be able to move through earth and stone as if galloping through a waterfall.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #743 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:07 am »

Una cried without fully understanding why. Something inside her was screaming that her world was ending with Sam's life but the rest of her was confused as to why she was having such a strong emotional response.  "Something is wrong." She was more like her self now but still shaky. "We have to take the robot. He said it has my memories inside it and I need it. I don't know why but I want more memories badly." She was leaning heavily on the desk with her clothes burned and blood was trickling down her neck from the injection site. Una nearly fell in to Fetch's arms. "I want to go home."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #744 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:21 am »

"Alright," Fetch answered.
alright, Una my love. We'll take the squid robot. What you're feeling is the craving for the mnemolex, and the false love that Sam encoded into the chemical lattice of the drug." All the old knowledge and terminology from years back in his past was coming back up, now. Perhaps it was from inhaling the fumes of the mnemolex, but certain other memories were beginning to burst forth as well. "Ah. The golden gunship, now I think I remember something like that; a flier, like a cross between an airship and a thunderwasp, but big, bigger than a house, and armed with a huge deathray. You designed that?" he asked in admiration, despite the circumstances, as he half supported her, half carried her to the mechanical squid.

"Don't burn the squid, Dee, we need it to carry the robot."

"I think not, actually." a voice said from the shadows to the right. "Bullock?"

"Yes, master?"

"Pick up that robot over there, and carry it, so we can bring it with us."

"Yes, master." The horrifically- damaged clown automaton moved to obey

"Justices Fetch and Malone, you might remember me from the other day, and Mr. Lecroix, from the incident at the club. I'm Simmers Wellenhott; I'm a Private Detective, currently in the employ of your Uncle Fitzroy, Miss Malone; Just call me Simms if you want, everybody does. Your uncle hired me to keep an eye on you and Fetch; I think the idea was to protect and help you, bit I kinda got sidetracked; Sorry I'm so late. Let me help you, Mister L." He put his shoulder under the one that Dee wasn't favoring, and then added, "We need to hurry. Bullock disabled one sleipnir, and knocked the others down with it's body, but they're not far behind."

"Better late than never," Fetch said, incredulous. "I saw -- you were in the Tower the day that Una tripped the Emerald System, weren't you?"

"Yep, I signed on as a janitor." He rolled his eyes, and muttered, for the thousandth time in three days, "The things I do for my cases." He sighed. "Shall we go, gents and young lady?" There were faint noises from down the tunnel, and Simms pulled his blaster out with his free hand and pointed it in that direction. "Id suggest right now, if you get me."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:38:03 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #745 on: September 13, 2013, 05:17:34 am »

"I was going to retrofit the gunship has a wedding gift. At least I think I was. I don't know if that is true." Una was disturbed she disliked telling lies but she could not tell what was the truth now.  "I want him out of my head." Una said trying to run.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #746 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:40 am »

"I'd appreciate a little help on my own end, Justice Fetch," Wellenhott said as they rounded a corner and Simms pulled a trio of small copper balls with brass knobs on them from the satchel he was wearing. "I kind of resisted arrest back at the library earlier; you might recognize Bullock, here, from that little fiasco. I think I might actually be technically a fugitive right now, if you get what I mean." He nodded at Bullock. "Keep Mr. L upright will you, Bullock? jusyt let him shoot when he wants to, we'll need his help, if our pursuers get here befrore I finish." He realized something abrubtly. "Oh. I guess you can go ahead and pop your companions back topside if you want, Justice, just take Bullock with you; I gather his burden is rather significantly important. I'll take care of our frightful friends."

The cold, pragmatic side of Fetch's personality came out then. "Sorry, but we'll be staying here, or at least Miss Una and I will. They'll just follow us after all, and all your destructive cleverness will go to waste, if I 'pop' her up topside. He drew the combat blaster one last time; the indicator showed that it still had a three-quarter charge. Dee, stay or go. if you stay, aim at the whithers; they're built like horses, sleipnirs." He paused, then added, as Simms twisted the knobs and pulled safety cotters from the spheres, "If you go, tell the medics to use lots of laz and cut across the nape; diagonally might set off a failsafe circuit and do severe irreparable damage to her spinal cord and brainstem."

He pulled Una into his arms then, holding her tenderly and kissing her forehead. "Una. I want to protect you and keep you from all possible harm, but in order to neutralize these damned things, I have to have you here to attract them. I'm sorry. can you trust me?"

"HERE THEY COME!" Simms yelled, and threw the first of the spheres; the foremost sleipnir went down, flailing in the dirt and muck of the tunnel as red arcs danced all up and down it's bizarrely equine carapace. It actually screamed a horselike scream, the sabers on its front feet slashing the floor and tripping up the next in line before finally laying still and smoking, as Simms threw another sphere. Fetch aimed with Una in the crook of his other arm, and opened up with the combat blaster, slagging the whithers to ruin. The sleipnir collapsed, completely inert, but the third and forth came on, neighing in horrible metallic voices ...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #747 on: September 13, 2013, 07:45:57 am »

Una was angry with Sam and the attacks and the unsure way she felt.  She called on the power Fetch had helped her find and screamed at the advancing robot. "You leave us alone!" Sparks fell from her hair and the light made her look like wrathful ghost. The sleipnir bucked and twisted trying to get away from them.  "I just want be back in the tower, with the books and the people that don't want to hurt me." A bolt hit it that she some how called down from an overhead light fixture that broke raining glass down on them.  Una was running on rage and fear and that powered her to do something she would normally not be capable of. The sleipnir exploded. She had badly over loaded it and herself. Una passed out smiling. Finally she was able to strike back and it felt good.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #748 on: September 13, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »

Pulling the shotgun carefully from behind his back with his good arm, Dee propped it against his leg and fired.  A massive blast of blue energy ripping into the last sliepnir with terrifying force actually as the laz round went off. It was all DEE could do to hang onto the massive weapon as both barrels discharged their payloads and tried to rip the gun from his hand. Dropping the shotgun, it's barrels still glowing and dripping molten steel, he scooped una off the ground and said "get us out of here Uncle. "
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #749 on: September 14, 2013, 03:58:31 am »

"That's my girl!" Fetch said as Una screamed the oncoming sleipnir to death. He had been knocked aside like a rag doll by the force of the energy that surrounded her, and he picked himself up and accepted her sleeping form from Dee. "I'll carry 'er from here, Dee, you need to look after your shoulder. Mr. Wellenhott,  Mr.Bullock, I thank you, and ask for your xcontuinued assistance to get us to the surface and to the Tower."

"we can get you to the Tower from here, underground," Simms said, "and  just call me Simms. Bullock, the robot, if you will. back to the tower, the way we came, if you don't mind."

"Yes, Master. Would Master and company prefer to walk, or use the conveyance we passed back down the tunnel?"

Simms looked at Fetch questioningly.

" I shot two limbs off of it, but it should still be serviceable, but there's somebody inside it, I think. Any idea who it might be, Un--oh." He kicked himself mentally as they moved back down the tunnel, past the wrecked sleipnirs. She was out cold, of course. He smiled and held her a bit closer as he carried her, bridal style. "Let her sleep, she 's so adorable when she does that."

Simms stooped to pick up a castoff piece, one of the photoreceptor eyes, by the look of it. he tucked it into his roustabout's* inner breast pocket as a souvenir. "Allow me, gents," He said, drawing his blaster as they neared the Brass Squid.
 He leapt inside, and could be heard tramping quickly astern, and then saying, loudly, "Simms Wellenhott, P.I.! Identify yourself!"

------
*roustabout: In this context, a type of longtailed overcoat worn by tradesmen and maintenance workers (such as janitors and warehousemen) and many middleclass males; Mr. Harmon, a Service/Warehouseman, and in fact all of the Service and Maintenance people from Are you being Served, a britcom, was often seen wearing a tan colored one, and they're all over the place in the recent Sherlock Holmes movies).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:02:36 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: