The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 07:58:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 51572 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #700 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »

Simmers entered the Library at that moment, having lucked along in simply by following his nose and avoiding security details and people who looked more alert than he liked. Unbeknownst to him, along behind and getting closer and closer, was the Automaton clown, who pulled up alongside him within a few steps. "I am here, Master." it said, and people around Simmers gasped, more than a few swearing at the sight of the shot-up automaton, as it added, "Your instructions did not compute. How do you plan to get us both killed?"

The checkout clerk rabbit-punched the security button at that point, and the steel security shutters slammed down amid loud alarums yet again for the second time in not many hours.

"Who the hell are you?!" Simmers said as he rounded on the recalcitrant machine beside him.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #701 on: September 06, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »

Una pulled her gun and looked around. "Sam stay close something bad is happening. Fetch there is a robot down there mimicking a janitor. Is that supposed to happen?"

Frost was locked outside and did his best to remain out of site, questions would be made if he was spotted.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #702 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:39 pm »

"I wouldn't put it past the R&D people to make something like that, but they're supposed  to get clearance before putting it to use," Fetch answered. "Here come the suppression corps, let them handle it, unless it gets out of hand. We have our own orders, love."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:27:21 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #703 on: September 07, 2013, 08:08:31 am »

Sam looked at both of them like they were mad.  "This happens now and then but don't worry unless shooting brakes out or there are bugs we are fine." Una said pulling out a book about heavy artillery used in the founding of the city.  "Here have this one." Sam staggered under the weight of the book.  "You are looking for references about something called the golden gun."

"What on earth is that?" Sam said raising an eyebrow.

"I have no idea but we have to find it." Una was happily reading away.

Sam looked at her with distrust. "This is one big haystack."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #704 on: September 07, 2013, 08:40:12 am »

Simmers was trying valiantly to salvage the situation and get away before anybody noticed that his nametag and clearance badge didn't match. Adding to his panic and frustration was a chivalric holdover trait in his personality that refused to allow him to just write the hapless windup clown off and let them gun the thing down.

"It's just an expression," he frantically told the suppressionists and the clerks who had surrounded them. "I was in that war back in '78 when the Pullman company tried that paramilitary coup on the West side of the island, you remember that, right? Me and my buddies used to joke about it all the time..."

"I do not understand, Master, I am Unit Bu110ck 5-19. Why is that pertinent? It does not compute. What is war, master? I have not been in such a thing. I have defended the island for Emerald Master, however. Is that what you mean?"

The automaton rambled interminably on and on to itself, oblivious to the events unfolding around it, save for Simmers, who was presently the center of it's tiny world.
------------
Fetch grabbed a massive copy of Shirley's Everything Ordnance and slammed it down ion a neighboring table, which creaked under the impact and the weight. There was no other way to set the thing down, really, without giving oneself a seriously herniated gut. He simply thrust his fingers in at a point that felt right, yanked up and over, and the book just sort of fell open, on a hand-colored photograph of what looked to be a gigantic brass cannon-like construct. There was something weird about it, however; it had coiled wires and cable tubing running all over it, and an arc was apparently playing and crackling over the ball at what appeared to be the breech end. "Well, brass is gold-colored," he said, "And this thing here looks to be almost all brass..." He pointed at the book while he gestured to Una in a 'come over here' kind of way.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:51:32 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #705 on: September 07, 2013, 05:11:35 pm »

She blinked horribly confused. "I think that is and isn't it at the same time." A sudden pain ripped through her brain and she fell to the floor and curled up in to a little ball.  "It hurts but I can almost remember." Una tried again and the lights dimmed as large white sparks fell from her hair. Unable to hold it she unfolded looking pale and hurt.  "I was so close I could almost see it." She said with frustration.

"What the hell was that?" Sam said wondering how in over his head he was.

Frost crept back in to library while the response team was busy the man and robot.  "What did I miss Lad?"

The chief was dealing with some paperwork when she heard an odd sound like a swarm of locusts.  She turned to the window and saw the most bizarre sight.(and for progress city that was saying something,)  Agnes opened the come link knowing trouble was coming. "Trapper why is there an entire circus full of robots and drones made up to look like fairies surrounding the tower?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #706 on: September 07, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »

Fetch leapt from his table and rushed to Una's side. "I don't know, young Samuel, but suffice to say your 'Auntie' is very special in many ways." Uncaring of whether the sparks and arcs might harm him; the horribly analytical corner of his brain calmly told him that they wouldn't, or not much. He cradled Una in his arms as she uncurled, but said at the same time,"how much do you see when you do that? If it hurts, don't strain so hard. This might be an ability you can develop, but please do not harm yourself trying to do so." He held her close, as a strange feeling of foreboding began to fill his animal sense for danger. "Samuel?" he called. "I suggest you get under a table or find a closet nearby to hide in. I don't think I have time to explain, but things feel like they are going to get very nasty in a moment. GO!" he thundered, as a roar like a thousand mechanical wasps rose up from outside and overhead, and the  shutters began to vibrate with thousands of tiny impacts.
---------------
Trapper hit the button for the Emerald System that had been discovered during the emergency not long before, not waiting for the Chief's permission, in response to the same roar that was engulfing the Library at the same moment. "I don't know, Chief, and sorry about deploying the Emerald System, but I'm not takin' a chance this time!"

Every shutter not already in place slammed down in response, and the same weapons dropped down from the ceiling, popped up from the floor, popped out of the walls, and sprouted on the outside of the tower as before. Suddenly tiny auto-fairies began frying in midair as the Emerald System identified it's targets, but it was like hosing down a sandstorm...
-------------
"They be up on the second level, in the middle, I think, Sor," Elias answered, and then all hell broke loose as the red and yellow lights and internal weapons of the Emerald System deployed around them. "I gots no idear what all this shite is, though..."

Mavis dove for the counter and Fletcher threw her a helmet and torso armor.
-------------
The suppression team and everyone else dove for cover as the Emerald System deployed around them. Everyone except the clockwork clown, who looked about and said in a happy, scratchily recorded dictaphone voice, obviously originally recorded and intended to calm the nerves of scared parkgoers in case the system deployed during a Minions' Holiday, "Emmy! so good to see you again! How goes it, old girl?"

"Bullock Unit identified. Please direct fete participants to appropriate shelters." there was a loud, metallic click as of something breaking, and then the voice said, "Good to see, good to see, good to see...*click* you as well, Bullock Unit."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:18:21 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #707 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:11 pm »

Dee had just pulled Lucretia on his lap and was going over the bluelight files when a button on his desk screecged. "Sir I've got some weird activity and our contact inside the tower is having a heart attack about clowns and fairies. We got some serious problems." Turning to Lucretia Dee asked "what do you think? I don't see it as a worthwhile expense of resources."

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #708 on: September 07, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »

The Clowns formed an orderly line and all tried to speak at once. Some got blasted away but others opened the door and started to pour in to the building and ask every person where the princess was. There were rumbles all over town as more robots clawed there way out of the street.

"Trapper get in a suit and force those dammed things out. I will be down to help in a moment."  The chief decided to make a detour on the way down to get Una and see if she could get these blasted things to go away.

"I can feel my memories out there in the wires but they are far away.  I don't know of I can reach them but i am going to try." Una reached out again but shopped suddenly and covered her ears. "what is that horrible noise?"

Lucretia  thought for a moment.  "Lets watch and see what happens." suddenly the building shook. "Well lets see what that is first."

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #709 on: September 07, 2013, 11:25:22 pm »

Dee pushed the comm button on his desk, "Marshall send two teams to figure out what in the name of Thors left testicle is going on." Ever since Dee had put Marshall in charge of security Andrews former army of thugs had become a professional standing army. courtesy of an unlimited budget and Marshall hiring every veteran soldier and professional killer he had lain hands on to help him in the training process. They also doubled as squad leaders. More than enough to handle most situations.

Hitting the security button for his office Dee activated the reinforced doors and gun turrets throughout the building. "This is your boss and overlord here." His voice boomed through the comm system. "We may possibly have a situation so everyone arm up and take cover. It may be nothing we may all be about to die. Either way its katie come bar the door. " Ànother one of Marshals suggestions had been to arm and train the entire staff. 

Pulling a large Heavily modified double barrel shotgun from Its swivel under his desk And slipped A pair of glowing blue shells into it. Handing Lucretia his MAHC, a lecroix improvement on the rail gun the justices had given him, he kissed her ligjtly and handed her one of the extra security vests he kept in the arms panel behind his desk. "Lets go hunting my love. Marshall will meet us with our personal team."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #710 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:45 am »

In front of the LaCrox tower a sinkhole was forming as something clawed it's way out of the street.  It was a huge mechanical octopus with cars on the end of it's tentacles. All around it were smaller animals clawing their way out of the concrete. "Is that a tiger?" Lucretia opened fire as it drew close, she was taking no chances.  There was a sort of charge in the air that was giving her a headache.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #711 on: September 08, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »

"I don't know for sure dear. Your the educated one here not me. Looks like one of mr Lovecrafts wet dreams come live. " his voice was full of wonder and amazement as he brought his big pistol up and fired at the oncoming nightmare. Marshall had disappeared with team 1 In search of something  while team 3 flanked with heavy weapons and team 2 Protected Dee and Lucretia
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »

"This city is built on crazy." She said in between shots. "Sometimes I wish I stayed in Italy."  Lucretia rubbed the base of her skull. The pain had gotten bad and she felt restless like there was somewhere else she had to be. 

Thompson was controlling the madness from inside the tower.  He was having to make a rough game of it. The justices were holding him at bay but that wouldn't matter soon.  Across the city here were every day people with a little extra implant at the base of their head.  Sleeper agents that had no idea what they were about to do.  Lucretia was one of them.  Andrew had knocked her out cold and implanted her shortly after she started working for him.  The more she resisted the call the more painful it would become until she would have to give in. The call was guiding her to Una and she had no way to stop it.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2013, 10:00:48 pm »

"Yes but if you'd done that you wouldn't have met me nor gotten this rich." He spoke as he reloaded.  At the end of the street Marshall appeared piloting Andrews massive platform with Team 1 pouring support fire from around it's legs. "Id say he found what he was looking for" Dee said with a smile. "Let's go back inside and make sure our employees aren't tearing the place apart."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #714 on: September 09, 2013, 06:34:10 am »

"True and I would miss you if I went and then here would be my parents..."  She trailed off as they went inside and had to duck as a nervous receptionist fired at them. "Really Murial I trained you better than that."

"Sorry I lost my glasses." Came an embarrassed voice behind the masive slab of a desk.

"Take care it doesn't happen again." Lucretia sighed as her headache got worse.

"Yes mam!" Said the timid looking lady with the gun nearly bigger than she was.

Lucretia rubbed her head again.  "I don't suppose you have some pain killers stashed away. This headache is bothersome."  It was going to take a lot more than this pain to stop her.  She had one went two weeks with a broken hand because she was worried what her father would say and she had kept up on five musical instruments and equestrian lessons with no drop in qualty.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #715 on: September 09, 2013, 07:06:55 am »

Trapper hit a stud on the wall of a nearby cubicle and yanked a berry pistol from his belt, grabbing the chief's arm at the same time and hauling her inside his office-tank as he fired the berry pistol out the door just before he slammed it shut, and then shouted over his armor's comm link, "ALL HANDS TAKE COVER! GUNNERS AND EMERALD SYSTEM, PROTOCOL SEVEN! REPEAT: PROTOCOL SEVEN! STREET AND DEPLOYED AIR UNITS STAY ON STATION AND AID PUBLIC! JUSTICE TOWER ON LOCKDOWN! DO NOT APPROACH! REPEAT..."

The Justice Corps, from the lowliest Harness Bull to the highest-ranking justices, had had drilled and pounded into their heads what "Protocol Seven," combined with the red smoke shell that was even now bouncing off of the ceiling, meant: Basically, it was 'Dig a Hole and Pull It In After You, The System's Going High Prejudice, Perimeter Gunners And All Hard Armor Units Are To Follow Suit.' People did exactly that, and soon the intruders were left milling around in the duty suite, which had suddenly become deserted of all official personnel - except for the gunners in the Wall batteries and the various Hard Armored vehicles scattered through the compound. Suddenly the air was full of flying lead, steel, and fire as anything and anyone not under cover was mown down in a callous barrage of pure flying death, be they brainwashed citizens or automatons.

"Courtmartial me later," he said, rounding on the Chief. "Right now, let's survive so we can offer some kind of law when the smoke clears. Yes, your thoughts are completely correct. I really am a murderous bastard." His voice carried all of the guilt and knowledge of exactly what he had done to a group of people whose only crime was having been brainwashed, and the wholesale destruction, once again, of the Duty  Sector of the Tower.

"Fetch, can you hear me?" he said into his comm link. "What is your and Una's current disposition, over?" The bullets could be heard from outside, spanging away on the vehicle's armor.

Will grabbed Jessica and hauled her into the crowded, fear-drenched armored Shelter Bunker with the rest of the Duty Suite personnel, while three massively powersuited justices and a small squad of harness bulls shoved the door closed; the motorized door hinges were refusing to cooperate. Distantly, through a meter of ferrocrete and steel plating, they heard the impacts of the horrific barrage outside, and the screams of the brainwashed intruders, mixed with the metallic shrieks of automatons being blasted apart.

Luke had dove into a trackless streettank, and joined in with a will handling the reloading of the massive artillery gatlings. The bullets from the wall turrets and other hard armor units ping-pang-ponged on the hull outside, playing a hellish carillion in the background.

In the Library, Fetch and Una heard the announcement on both their personal comms, and over the PA loudspeakers. As the turrets and guns popped out of the walls, supplementing the fire from the Emerald System, and book stacks simply slid down into the floors, Fetch quite simply panicked; he grabbed Una around the waist, carrying her with him as he bumrushed Sam and tackled him, shifting the three of them to the only place he knew of in the entire tower where the meatgrinder of defensive armament would not be doling out carnage - the space in the foundation coffers, where he had secreted himself and Una once before.

It was at best only a temporary, stopgap solution, he told them, "Since the air in the casks, and the soda lime barrel were meant for two calm persons, rather than three distraught, heavily-breathing individuals. Not to mention the fact that if those robot fairies are as capable as they look, they might be ripping through the Tower's foundation toward us even now. I can shift us to a nearby universe, but sooner or later we'll have to come back here in any case. Be ready to move again, soon, especially if we start to hear digging sounds."

Fetch's comm crackled with Trapper's query, and he answered, "We are in the coffer room below the Tower, Mister von Trappe," he added, "What exactly is going on, Sir?"
---------------
Simmers heard the announcement and grabbed Bullock, frogmarching him along with the others into the nearby shelter. "So, I'm you r master now, am I?" he said, his voice fairly dripping with irony and sarcasm.

"Yes, master, you command me in all things," Bullock answered almost matter-of-factly.

"OK, in that case, help me help these fine officers protect these people. If you have any aether contact with those things out there, convince them to either stop attacking and turn on our attackers, or deactivate the ones who refuse to do so - or, have them deactivate themselves." Bullock thought, thought again, and reasoned, and syllogized, and finally, after several minutes, just when Simm was about to give up on him and spill everything to the guards in utter frustration, the automaton clown, a relic of the Emerald Doctor, and in possession in its memory gearing of various special and rather ancient override codes, said, "As Master Wishes." Outside, the older clown-type automatons that had so far escaped annihilation suddenly stopped in place, jerked once or twice, and then started exploding all at once, gears and bits flying in all directions. Those few that did not do so turned on the other intruders.
----------------------
Elias grabbed Thorn and dragged him under the stone-and-steel Clerk Counter as the bullets began flying and the lasers ripped through the spaces between. "This'll only be temporary, mister Thorn, sir, I think those fiery lights and bullets'll rip through this in short order --

A short distance away, Fletcher and Mavis gestured from a partly-open hatch in the floor, under the same counter. "Get IN here, you two, before they grind you to sausage and cook you for supper!" Mavis yelled.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:25:10 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #716 on: September 09, 2013, 07:29:06 am »

DEE  yet firmly led her away by her Elbow to his private office, slightly annoyed that his own receptionist had almost shot him. Kicking the door shut,  Dee hit the console next to it and heavy steel bars locked into place.

Setting Lucretia down at his desk he undid his tie, tying it around her arm before using a pen to tighten the makeshift tourniquet down while he lightly tapped at the vein in her arm. rummaging through the Drawers at his desk, he found the one hitter of laz and carefully inserted the hypo in Lucretias arm. The little applicator Made a pop and hissing noise as it pumped its payload into the womans bloodstream. "There that should stomp put any headaches." He softly whispered while stroking her hair.

Outside on the streets team 1 laid down suppressive fire while teams 2 and 3 used flamethrowers and shotGuns to destroy enemies en mass. Marshall piloted the now repaired platform around the tower, hosing death and destruction from his weapon systems. Dee had made it perfectly clear, protect the tower and nothing else. Fortunately the onslaught was less of a Flood of wnwmies and more of an inconvenient trickle. Dee had a sneaking feeling that the main attack was elsewhere. "I reckon this has not been a good year for the justices. Andrew, now this. That little girl is certainly causing quiet  a peck of trouble."   
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #717 on: September 09, 2013, 08:16:02 am »

"God damn it." The chief muttered for a moment she was almost angry at Una.  But realy The only think the girl had ever done was try and help them.  She was odd and a trouble magnet but Una had sworn on her life to defend the city just like all the other officers and Agnes had to admit she had a soft spot for the girl.  "There has to be a way for these assholes to leave her be."  The chief paced. "Sooner or later there will be a moment we can't stand against or an attack that gets past and then it will be up to her. She can shoot alight but an onslaught like this well.  I don't want to lock her away in a tower we would be as bad as that bastard Andrew then but I don't know if we can keep this up." Agnes slumped.  "Someday she will need more than we can give and I don't know what we can do."

Jessica leaned against Will shaken. "If we had only blasted them before they had a chance to do this." She said sadly.

Fetch found himself being pulled in to Una's arms. "I can hear them screaming even down here, It is because of me isnt it?' She felt sad and disappointed books had never told her that knowing things could hurt. 

Sam looked at them scared out of his mind. "Are we going to die?"

"No I don't think so." Una said

Frost ran like the devil was after him. "This entire city is full of lunatics." He shouted angerly makeing sure Elias made it in safely.

Thompson was getting close if he could push them a little harder get them to make a mistake it would be over.  Below the city bodies that were made to go through stone and dirt like water headed for Una once they had her.  He would get her out of this dammed city and under his control then he would destroy this place.

Lucretia purred relaxing. The Laz was jamming the signal to the transmitter under her skin causing it to heat up as it tried to get back in control.  "God you make me feel so warm.  If the world wasn't going to hell around us." She grinned at him intentions plain on her face.  "That girl keeps on surprising me.  She should be brain dead like all the others but still she keeps on going.  I don't like that outside criminals are going after her. If anyone should profit off of this it should be us."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #718 on: September 10, 2013, 12:05:26 am »

Dee pulled her on his lap and held her close with one arm, the other gently pulling her down into a kiss.  "We need a way to trace the signal controlling these bastards back to it's source.  I think I'm fixing to have to make a rather inconvenient roadtrip.  " he wasn't a fool and the urge to take lucretia was screaming in his ears but at the moment he had business matters to attend to. And as much as he cared for the woman in his lap business would always come first..hitting the community on his desk, Dee said "Marshall I need live samples brought to me  ASAP.  We need to track down the control unit. No signal has a range to control this many things from as far away as new York. Coordinate with the justices. They have to be transmitting through a local source. If we can find it we can shut them all down at once. Then backtrace tge signal. And make sure the chief knows our assistance comes with a price."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:07:59 am by steamcowboy92 » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #719 on: September 10, 2013, 01:08:39 am »

Lucretia's face flushed as the transmitter ramped up again. "I think what we may be looking for is an older signal. I mean these things have been buried for ever and with no up grades they have to have a simple system."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #720 on: September 10, 2013, 02:29:22 pm »

Dee let his hand rub up and down her thigh as he quietly contemplated.  "Would have to be a simple set up to have lasted this long. Anything fairly complicated would have broken down from lack of use and no maintenance.  Possibly we could jam it if we figure out which wavelength they're operating off of." He gave her a playful squeeze and pulled a drawer open on ho's desk, removing a black box with a series of dials that hissed and beeped. Normally he used it to spy on the Justices comm chatter but now he was listening for anything out of the ordinary.  Manipulating the dials with one hand he began manipulating Lucretia with his other,  enjoying the way she responded to his touch while keeping his mind focused on the radio scanner.  He was somewhat hard of hearing and hoped with her there on his lap she might catch something he might miss.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #721 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »

"Do you hear that? Go back a bit." The static surged with a rhythm.  Lucretia tapped along getting a feel for things. "It sounds like a watch ticking or a heart beat. I bet that is our signal.  it is too measured to be random."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #722 on: September 10, 2013, 07:37:58 pm »

"Gotta be" Dee quickly jotted down the signal number and sent it to the communication room with an order to start piping out that God awful elevator muzak along the same frequency from every source they had.  Hopefully the sheer volume would drown out the incoming signal and if they were really lucky the world's worst music would drive them all to suicide
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #723 on: September 11, 2013, 04:33:59 am »

Fetch felt, somehow, the mole entities coming for them. Three, maybe four, perhaps more, distincetly sililar, yet different, vibrational sensations, getting stonger, fast. "Una," he said, "come with me to the other end of the room, if you will" he said. When they got there, he felt a fluctuation in the sensation that he was receiving. he could feel the signal fade as they traversed the interior of teh coffer, and then strengthen anew as it homed in on Una yet again.

"Una, try and mentally synch with my heartbeat." he pressed teh nad that he held against his chest Feel that? now, reach outward with me, mentally, while we walk back." He walked her back overby Sam again. "Feel that? I think those may be more attackers. They seem to be attuned to you, and they are getting closer fast. Sam? come here," he said, holding out his hand. "Suddenly something at once rhythmically catchy, yet sonorously irritating joined the signal, and the entities' approach seemed to fade and grow, wax and wane, as if they were zigzagging or searching for a route that they had lost -- but they were close. Damned close. Gripping Sam's hand and holding Una close with the other arm, he shifted the three of them to another place, not as historically secure, but at least far from the creatures' former point of convergence, while being at least a little bit familiar.

"Pardon us," he said to Dee and Lucretia. "We seem to be attracting some kind of Pursuit. If it turns in this direction, we'll be leaving rather precipitously." He heard the muzak in the room, and immediately realized the origin on the interfering signal. He rubbed at both ears and temples, asking in a slightly irate voice, "I appreciate the help, but what in the Hells of Weng Chiang is that noise?"
----------
Meanwhile in the Library bunker, Bullock was doing a macabrely insane dance while Simm and the guards tried vainly to make him stop and sit down...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #724 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:39 am »

"That is what is stopping that horrible monster outside. I don't like it much either." Lucretia shrugged and almost fell over. All of a sudden her since of balance was gone and the back of her neck was on fire.

Una looked at her confused. "Your neck is taking to me. It is telling you to grab me and run away."

"What?" Lucretia said and then paused growing staidly more angry.  "That fucking bastard chipped me. He did it to some of the scientists said it would keep them honest. It is supposed to make them obey. No wonder I had a headache someone was trying to control me." She looked madder than a sack full of hornets. The signal modulated oddly as if it was bouncing around.

Sam retched in to the trashcan. All this displacement was not good for him. "Aunty can we stop moving?"

The floor shook under them and Una tried to help Sam up up in case they had to move fast but she wasn't quick enough. The floor gave way and both Sam and Una were caught in the arms of a golden squid that pulled them down and in to it's mouth. Una tried to talk to it and make it let her go but instead it zapped her and she screamed until everything went black. Sam shouted but was soon swallowed by the mechanical creature.  It when back the way it came burrowing deep under the city. It shot bolts of lighting behind it collapsing the floor and burrowing deep under the city.

Thorn was listening for the end of the shots. "Did everyone get to safety? There was a girl that I don't see here." He had a pretty good idea of what happened.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: