The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 02:03:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 52004 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #675 on: August 21, 2013, 07:09:13 am »

Simmers finished the coffee and the sandwich, and settled to reading his newspaper. It was right about then that the universe seemed to shift, as if something large and unstoppable had forced its way into his immediate vicinity.

Time and causality do not really run on gargantuan gears, nor are they truly displayed, for those persons sensitive enough to sense them, on gigantic clock-faces, but the analogy is nonetheless a good one. All over the island city, the shiftings of events, causality and timeframes were felt by sensitives and practitioners of various arts and sciences; The Emerald Differencer, a huge, cylindrical device in the depths of the subbasements beneath the University Tower, clicked over three lateral gears, and four longitudinal walking beams rocked to one side or another in reaction, an event which had only happened once in the past hundred years, on the day that the Emerald Doctor had died.

Fetch, in the room that adjoined Una's, dropped the towel that he was using to dry himself after his shower, and lunged for the room's intercom panel just as  Shirley buzzed his room. "...I see, he answered, "Roger that, we will await Trapper's summons or stand-down order. He crossed over to the door to Una's room. He was not convinced, however, that Shirley's message was really the reason that he had felt that subtle lurch in the fabric of the universe. Best not to get too worked up, though, he decided. He could hear Una in an adjoining alcove of the room, but could not see her, so he called out, "That was Justice Shirley, Trapper's secretary. She said that someone named 'Samuel,' purporting to be a nephew of yours, has come in off of the street looking for you. There's some  question as to his sincerity and motives, I think, so they've asked us to wait to come down until Trapper checks them out. They'll call us down if and when they think it's safe."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #676 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:03 am »

"Do I have relatives then? That would be a good thing right?" Una wasn't sure what to think. "Would the person going after me go after them if they knew?  I mean that happens a lot in the true crime story books."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #677 on: August 21, 2013, 07:37:06 am »

"I would say the probability is about 98.99 percent," Fetch answered, "and there is also the distinct possibility that they would use that person to flush you out or force your or our hands, or both together. For that reason, Trapper and Shirley are most likely questioning young 'Samuel' very closely; he could already be in cahoots with the person who seems to be intent upon your death or capture."

"What city did you come here from, Samuel?" Trapper asked, feeling that he had a very strong suspicion what the boy's answer would be. "Was it New York, by any chance?"

---------------
The universe shifted again, as a young man with a shoeshiner's box approached the man in the bowler hat who had arrived aboard airship a few moments before. "Shine for two bits, sor? best bootblack in th' terminal, I am."

---------------
Having finished his meal, rested up in his way, and applied his spurious beard and bushy eyebrows, Simmers ducked into the front door of the Justice tower. Before long, he emerged in the inner Service corridors of the tower, the lifelines that the maintenance people used in order to do their jobs while remaining mostly invisible. Dressed in the gray coveralls and painter's hat of Upper Floors Division, his hat and briefcase in a locker in the Main Changing Room, he moved among his fellow janitors, the repair contractors, and those bulls charged with guarding same on his way to the floor wherein Fetch and Una resided, mop and bucket in hand. The things I do for my cases, he once again groused inwardly...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:13:10 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #678 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

Una nodded.  "I bet they are taking fingerprints and such just like in the book."  It made her happy when things followed the examples she had read.  It felt like order in chaos.

"Nope but that is close. I was born in Boston. A lot of the Malones settled there after we left the city but my parents moved when I was still small to Colma California. Dad is an undertaker and that is the best place to be one, so he says." Sam shrugged.  He figured people died all over the place so no one spot was better than the others.

The man in the bowler smiled and tossed him a coin. "Sure kid.  Listen I am new here where would a gentlemen go to find the news paper office?  I have a few questions to ask them."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #679 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:01 am »

There came a knock at Una's door. "Supply Section, uniform for Justice Cadet Una Malone. I need a signature for this, if you don't mind." Fetch signaled for Una to go ahead and answer, but moved toward the security loophole beside the doorway. A Janitor was walking by with a bucket and a mop; he looked new, but the Supply bull outside was a face Fetch had seen around for years. He waved to Una that it was OK to open the door. "It's corporal Bob Filmore, I've known him for years," Fetch said, but he kept looking down the corridor after that janitor. He could swear he'd seen that guy before, recently, and not as a Tower employee...

"The Uniform'd be the perfect thing to go meet your nephew in," He said a bit later. "It would answer a lot of questions without the need for them to be asked. We can go get your armor after that, or before, if you want. Unlike the uniform, It'll be standard issue; they don't tailor it 'til your a full justice on regular duty."

Trapper had grilled Sam for a couple of hours. "Well, let's get him printed and processed, Shirley, and I'll ring for Fetch and Una in a few minutes." he said.

"Fetch is Una's bodyguard, and they are very close." Ummm... how to explain it... well, Una is probably not exactly as you remember her; she lost a lot of her memory under the Bluelight," Shirley explained as she walked Sam to the Records Section, and told him the details of what was known about her captivity, the general effects of the Bluelight process, and the Laz dilemma, including a brief rundown on Fetch as well. "So, they're like two peas in a pod, Fetch and your aunt. Inseparable, in love (whether they realize it or not), and, for whatever reason, extremely similar to one another, though I'll warn you, Himself can be a bit bloody-minded, especially regarding any threat to Una, and he's damned hard to keep track of when he's in what most of us here call 'is 'stealth mode.' He practically turns invisible, and can and will pop up almost anywhere. I've even seen 'im stand on the ceiling, and once, on a vertical wall." she shuddered. " 'e's uncanny. Glad he's on our side, I am."

"Newspaper, sor?" The bootblack said. He considered. "Well, the biggest is the Globe, over on Main Street, big tower, wi' a big bronze ball on top, Youse can't miss it -- if yer lookin' for it," he said, as he slapped blacking on the toe of of one shoe and worked it around to the sides and back with the greasy rag in his right hand. Next is the Times, on Progeny Place, 'iss a white squatty thing, like a tower but smaller, you ken? Only eight stories. The receptionist's a sweet tart of a girl, but watch out fer th' 'ead Editor and th' Owner, they'll take yer 'ead roight off an' sell it fer kibble if you lets 'em.

"There's several other smaller papers, but the only one worth mentionin' o' them is th' Daily Trumpet, or the 'Strumpet,' as the bigger papers calls it." He spat on the shoe and polished it to a mirror shine, then started in on the other one, and soon had it to an identical state of shine. "Trumpet's a bit of a 'Yellow' operation, you know," the bootblack added. "prints a lot o' rumors and wild stories, it does," he said, finally, tipping his hat. "Tha's all, less'n you wants more, guv'nor."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:59:08 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #680 on: August 23, 2013, 05:06:09 am »

Una smiled. "So we will be the same then?  I like that and it has pockets and a holster.  I need to get holsters for my dresses. Then I won't get taken away again." She shuddered that had frightened her badly.  "But you will always get me back won't you? They won't bury me again."

Sam was wide eyed. "Wait isn't Fetch that that vampire ninja in the penny dread fulls? I didnt know he was real. That must make aunty the pale princess he keeps rescuing from smugglers. Wow moma is never going to believe this."

The man in the bowler nodded pleased with the information. "You seam like a bright lad how would you like to earn some real money?  I am a lawyer trying to find a young lady that has come in to some money.  She was in the papers a few weeks ago."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #681 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:40 am »

"Of course I will!" Fetch said, suddenly concerned for Una. Anytime she felt uneasy it was practically a given that he would pick up on it and try to do something about it. He took her in his arms and held her close. "Una, you hold my heart. Without you I am nothing.If you are in trouble, if someone snatches you, I will find you. A trail of discarded items would be helpful, but even without one I will find you, by the scent of your thoughts if nothing else, and bring you out of danger."

---------
"The realitys a bit more ... intense ... real than the Dreadfuls," Shirley said drily. You sorta have to experience those two t' get what that means." She ushered Sam into the fingerprinting section of records. "Lookit it this way, things keep happening to the two of them. The world keeps getting ripped apart, and they survive and prosper. It's quite a show if you can keep from getting annihilated while watching it."
---------------

If you're meanin' that Una Malone kid, she's kinda hard to get close to, what with everybody havin' been after 'er. Last I 'eard, she was 'oled up in the Justices' tower with her body guard and under protective...er, special protection, whatever they calls that."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #682 on: August 24, 2013, 06:40:17 am »

Una kissed him taking his hand. "I hate being scared but when we are together it is better.  We should go see my nephew before he wanders off somewhere." If she was stuck inside at least it could be interesting.

Sam looked at Shirley worried. "So I might get sliced up by just being by them.  Damn but I don't have anywhere else to go."

"Smart lad. Yes Miss Una is supposed to take over the family house but from what I can see at least four contesting members trying to contest her right. They sent me to interview her and determine if she is actualy human."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #683 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:46 am »

We should wait until Trapper --" he cut off as the room intercom buzzed, and Trapper's voice came through, "Fetch, bring Una down, if you will. I'm not completely convinced, but the lad seems harmless enough."

"Understood," Fetch said, pressing the conversation stud on the intercom panel. He turned to Una and said, "I'll shift us to the Garage landing' we should walk from there, it would be less traumatic for the boy than if we simply appeared out of thin air." soon they stood in the elevator/stairwell alcove, close by Trapper's makeshift temporary office. a crab tank with derelict legs stood nearby, its crew manning the gatlings and panning them slowly over the chaotic sprawl of office and service booths, cubicles and transport vehicles dragooned into service as secure facilities. "This way, I think," Fetch said. "They moved Trapper into an armored command truck about a week ago, it's that one there with the white top and black sides. Apparently it was decided that he rated better than a cubicle."
-------

Shirley smiled wryly, amused. "I don't think Fetch would 'slice you up,' necessarily, unless you tried to hurt Una or another officer or take the Tower by force; even then, he might simply clout you with his 'chaku and take you prisoner. He follows the book to a reasonable degree, does our Fetch," she said with a degree of fondness. " 's jus' that things tend to 'appen when they're 'round. Might be as mild as th' teletypes goin' bonkers, or Una tryin' out a new skill and wowin' ev'rybody with 'er aptitude, or extreme 's a Laz-zombie attack or worse, but 's never dull 'round 'em, is all I meant..."
-------------

"Wellsor, I'm sure you're th' one to set it all t' roights," The bootblack said. "Say, whot were 'at 'bout makin' some more money, kinda thing, you was sayin' about?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #684 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:12 pm »

"Well Trapper is very busy. I have seen the chief make him run all over.  I over heard a justice calling him her right hand man but I am not sure what that means." Una had discovered the term in books but books didn't explain it either. 

Sam saw them coming and was surprised Una looked small and pale and Fetch was a sort dark blur protectively beside her.  "Wow they are not what I expected."

"What I need is someone that knows the city. I have only been here once when I was young and I have been told that it only takes a week for the city to completely change it's face. I need for my presents to not make waves. I know at least three others who want to swoop in on this." The man smiled.  "My name is Edward Thorn pleased to meet you."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #685 on: August 26, 2013, 08:10:33 am »

"It means Mister von Trappe is her number one operative; it's as if he speaks with her voice when she's not around, and takes care of the things she's too busy to get to in addition to what he already has on his plate -- as well as whatever she suddenly decides is the highest priority," Fetch explained.

Fetch heard Sam's exclamation, and suddenly realized he was back in stealth, and cioncentrated. He suddenly snapped into bright, clear focus from Sam's and Shirley's points of view, at roughly the same instant that he stretched his hand out in greeting. "I get that all of the time," he half-joked. He hoped his smile wasn't too creepy. "Samuel Malone, I presume?"
------------
Simmers rounded a turn in a corridor that he had not intended to enter. He'd made the wrong turn a while ago, and had simply followed the twisting, descending hallway, trying to find a way back up to the upper stories, but to no avail. He heard echoing sounds on the far side of a door to his left, and thought, aha, that must be the garage floor again. His mood changed from elation to dismay, and then to utter disbelief and awe as he found himself in a gigantic construction/repair bay, and a giant suit of armor, or perhaps a robotic giant, before him. The thing was so big it stretched a full three stories above him, and disappeared into a haze of steam and welder smoke far below; he could see down to the thing's metallic groin, but no further. How they planned to get the thing out into the open air was a mystery -- a mystery he had no time for, as a pair of lab-coated workers came around a stack of gas cylinders dead ahead...
------------

The bootblack shook the proferred hand, and replied, "Elias Crouch, at your service, sir."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:12:10 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #686 on: August 26, 2013, 08:49:12 am »

"Ah that makes sense." Una said looking at the boy in front of them. He was a picture painted in sunshine and she was a watercolor in pale shades.  She was not sure what to think of him. "Yes sir I am. Pleased to meet you." Sam smiled and ran a hand through his hair like he was slightly embarrassed. "And you are my aunt right?"

"Yes I think so." Una said wondering if she had once looked like him. Had the bluelight changed her looks as well as her mind?

"Pleased to meet you Elias. You can start earning your fee by finding me a place near the justice tower that serves a meal breakfast.  Then I can start beginning to take on this case."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #687 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:07 am »

Simmers managed to avoid detection by ducking in among the gas cylinders and grabbing a badge from a pairju of coveralls that hung on a nearby peg among several others similarly hung. he grabbed a bump helmet from a laundry cart filled with them, and a tinted pair of generic folding goggles from a a huge beside the door of what appeared to be a locker room.

"YOU THERE!"

Simmers jumped and turned slowly around, sure he'd been discovered.

"Izzat mop and bucket just for decoration, or do you plan to use it today? Never mind, just go down to Level Three and see Doc Freemantle, he's got a fluid spill from Ulysses. MOVE IT!"

Simmers complied, playing for time to get back to the upper levels and continue his surveillance of Una and Fetch. The things I do... he thought for the hundredth time that day."At least I'm learning some of the nooks and crannies of this place," he muttered.
--------

" 'S Easy, that one. There's one o' th' best bars in Progress City across th' street fom there, 's called Belfry's. Their sandwiches's world famous!" Elias said.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #688 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:47 am »

"Once we have fed then we can start tacking the maze of laws that will get us an audience with Miss Malone if that is who she is."  Edward smiled this would hopefully lead to a way for him to get her hands then the rest would fall in to place.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #689 on: August 29, 2013, 04:21:50 am »

"Steven, me lad! a menu for me friend Mister Thorn, will you? I'll 'ave me usual beef 'n' cheese dip."

Steven, the barkeep and head waiter of Belfry's, brought the menu, and in a short span of minutes, had Elias's sandwich on the table before the two men. "Wha'll it be, Sir?" the server asked, as Elias eyed the sandwich hungrily, unwilling to break his learned manners and eat before Mfr. Thorn';s order was delivered.
---------------
Fetch sneezed rather forcefully all of a sudden, and another gear in the scheme of things seemed to click over into place; it was as if the universe had, ever so subtly, changed, and perhaps not for the better. "I think we should all get to know one another better while we have a lull in events," he said. It was apparent that something was bothering him.

Trapper stuck his head out of his "office" and waved them inside. "Don't just gawp around out there, come on in here!" He called.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #690 on: August 29, 2013, 06:18:44 am »

"Bacon sandwich and the most recent news papers you have. Oh and the strongest tea you can muster." He sat back looking out at the tower.  How was he going to slip in without giving it all away.  This was going to be tricky as hell.  The others could already have their hooks in here and if they found him the whole thing would crumble and his pray would escape.

Una smiled she liked Trapper he had always been rather nice to her even if she was confused by some of his sayings.  "Look I can have my gun with me always now."  She was happy with her new official post. Even if she was only allowed to go to the library for now she felt strong and important.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #691 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05:38 am »

"Yer know," Elias said, seeing the direction of Thorn's gaze, "They says the Justice Tower's and City 'all's libraries are just about the best in the worl' for records o' legal jurs...juries...jurassic -- no, that ain't it, it's some kinder joory-prudie stuff..." Anyways, I bet youse could foind yore tidbits o' infermation in there."

-----
Trapper eyed Una's uniform and the holster she was so proud of. Aww, he thought, she's just like a li'lgirl all dressed up, so cute and sweet. He felt a downright fatherly pang of suspicion about her and Fetch. If he had taken advantage of her... "Has Fetch been treating you right, Miss Una? Any complaints?" he asked, a slight edge to his voice that caused Fetch to look up at him in sudden concern.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #692 on: August 30, 2013, 06:25:19 am »

"I am new to the city who would I have to speak to to get in those libraries? I wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers if I don't have to." Thorn smiled if he could just get close the rest of it would fall in to place.

Una saw his face and wondered if she said something wrong. "I love Fetch just like the princesses in the books Mr Trapper and he loves be back because he says so. Last night a lady poked me with something and took me away while I was asleep.  I saw things." Una shuttered and took Fetch's hand."He is helping keep the nightmares away. Fetch can fight things I can't."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #693 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

Dee sat complacent at his desk overlooking the numbers for the start of the new quarter when a knock at his door drew his attention. "Come in." His voice echoing in the silent room as his hand fell to his lap

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #694 on: September 02, 2013, 12:49:45 am »

Trapper mopped his brow with the edge of the tea towel that had served as the cover over his sandwich as he ate. "Just checking," he said, still a bit suspicious. He knew, of course, that the two were smitten with one another, but years of experience with coppers who tended to take their authority a bit too casually had made him wary and sure that everyone was like that to some degree. The fact that Fetch apparently was not was a bit unnerving to him.

"What's the plan so far? Made any headway in the Library yet?"

--------------
"We have not been to the Library yet," Fetch answered for the two of them, "but we shall probably be there presently, after Una has had some time with her newfound relative."

A messenger arrived for Fetch from Caranium's dispatching desk. "For you, sir," the towheaded, wet-behind-the-ears harness bull cadet said nervouisly.

"Thank you," Fetch responded and opened the note as Una, Sam, Trapper and Shirley chatted. Written in the weird, Engrish-like patois of the city's Asian Gangs, but in Chinese characters, the message amounted to an invitation to please visit the Mistress of the old Blue Dragon Tong, which had had close ties to Boss Huang's group. It addressed him as "Sir Shadow."

We have information regarding your past and Master Otto, as well as the honorable LeCroix family, which may prove useful to you; beware, as a new dark master has entered the city and is hunting for you and yours. The Dragon of Gold and Crimson rises in the West!
-Mistress Wing Choi

"Mistress Wing?" Trapper said, when Fetch showed him the note. "better check this out, but not just now. Y'two need to get to the Library and show willin' or th' Chief'll blow a gasket. I might do as well," he added with a raised eyebrow.
-------------

Elias answered, "Oh, anybody can get in, but only a few can access the Special Stacks. Got's ter talk to Mavis, the Specials Warden." Elias took out a well-worn, rather short cheroot, and lit it, inhaling the delicious smoke. "loves her Napoleon brandy, she does, but she can't get it with her salary. She saves up, shall we say, the occasional 'tip' from people wantin' a 'in' to the Specials..." he drawled suggestively.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:44:02 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #695 on: September 02, 2013, 03:18:11 am »

"Hello love the lab rats are being surprisingly fast. The first batch of laz flesh is in the tanks swimming under the blue light like grotesque fish." Lucretia had found them rather disturbing.  "Last night apparently they had a visitor from below.  One of those clowns tried to claw in to the lab about the same time we were dealing with that crazy Chinese woman. They immobilized it and are going through it's aether brain all they can find so far is a mad transmission from new york."

Una smiled and looked at Sam. "Would you like to come read with us? We are researching weapons."

Sam was not sure how to respond but at least this way he was likely to get lunch. "Sure aunty. It is kinda funny grandpa said you were always poking around in weapons way back when.  They joked that you had blasters from the crib.  He said you were working on something big when you died, well sort of died."

Una lit up like a lantern. "They remember me?"

"Well yea." Sam said looking confused. "It is kind of hard to forget a family legend."

"Wow."  Una said with wide eyes.  She had a family and they remembered her.  Just a few weeks ago she was fairly sure she had been grown in a tank and now she had roots and a whole other life. "Fetch lets get some of those good crunchy sandwiches that you got me yesterday and go to the library."

Thorn smiled and slid Elias a few bills.  "Alright then lad lets go see a lady and if we are seeing a lady it is only proper to bring a gift." 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #696 on: September 04, 2013, 08:07:13 am »

Simmers found the relevant scientist and the recently-famous land ironclad, and began to mop up the drivetrain coolant from around the back treads of the vehicle. He glanced around, noticing n various nearby alcoves all sorts of R&D projects, many of them of the sort that rumor had already suggested the Justices had in their arsenal. A sort of mini-thunderwasp ornithopter sat in one space, its upper wings dismantled and pieces of its engine and steam plant spread out in small, well-ordered stacks and groupings around the edges of the large green canvas tarp on which it lay; numerous rocket packs on specially-built racks occupied another, along with curiously-winged packs that looked as if someone had even further reduced the size of the mini-thunderwasp's wings and engines and added straps and a slightly improbable-looking array of attached weaponry, or perhaps it was grapnel apparatus?

AS he returned to his job, a cacophony of steam expansion cylinders and the telltale WHOOSH of the wash from a multi-tandem prop , along with a shadow that darkened the lab floor from high above, marked the arrival of what turned out to be a rather odd-looking dirigible-like craft. sheathed entirely in armor and possessing all angles and corners where a blimp or a zeppelin would be curved or recurved, it was immediately apparent that the section that looked as if it were intended to be a gasbag was not, in fact, such a thing, for it was far too small and obviously far too heavily-armored. An ominous hum came from the craft, and it appeared to shift in and out of focus, and at times seemed to have parts missing, then other parts, then far too many parts by half, then just enough to be considered a whole machine; it was floating, humming enigma.

"Ah! there you are, Chalky!"

"Aye, Perfessor."

"So, that's the new beauty, is it?"

"That she be, sir, won't Fetch be sorprised, eh? Now we kin do what 'e does. Well, sorta, anyway-!"

There was a sudden lurch from the machine, and it seemed to heave a huge coughing breath, and then collapsed to the Laboratory floor, a heap of smoking, "tink" -ing  metal and other substances, the whole gigantic pile still winking in and out of apparent existence.

"Cor, tha's torn it, we'll be all noight chasin' down the out-dimensional bits and bobs."

"Best get started, then, Fetch'll be wanting to see what we have so far."

Righto, Proff -- OI! You, there! Wha're ye gawpin' at? get ta work and quit lollygaggin' round, willya? 'elp us start pickin' up th' pieces 'ere..."

Simmers shrugged, gave a cheerful answer and set to with a will, but again, in the back of his mind, there came the same thought once again.

"...things I do for my cases..."
--------------

Fetch decided to give the young fellow a thrill and shifted himself, Una and Sam all three to the door to the Special Stacks.

"Here we are, then," he said as they materialized. "Do you feel alright, young Samuel? Not everyone does well their first time," Fetch asked Sam.
---------------
Elias led the way across the street, Through the Duty Hall, and through the doors to the Library; they arrived just as the huge plate steel doors of the Special Stacks closed behind Una, Fetch and Sam. Elias said his hellos to Mavis, applying his moves and shmooze (along with the lovely gift of cash). Mavis didn't hesitate a moment or miss a beat. "Thank you for your -ah- donation, kind sir. This way, please." she led the way to the steel doors and opened them with the key at her belt.

"Just ring the bell on the keystand there on the other side of the portal when you wish to leave, please. Enjoy your research." A wink for Elias, and then the doors closed.

They were in!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:09:35 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #697 on: September 05, 2013, 06:40:04 am »

"That was interesting." Sam said trying to step forward and crumpling to the floor. "Well damn that had a kick."

Una looked down at him. "Did parts of you brake?"

"No, but I think I better stay on the floor for a bit. My legs fell like noodles." Sam was looking at Fetch wondering how he did that.

Una turned to the Librarian. "Where are the books on guns?" She was utterly unflappable.

Thorn held his arm out stopping the bootblack. "Hold back lad.  We need to watch things first and then go talk to the young lady.  I have to do things by the book after all." That boy, god dammit why did he have to turn up now?  If he saw them and knew him then the lad would throw a wrench in things for sure. Hopefully he could salvage this.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #698 on: September 06, 2013, 04:49:07 pm »

"Balderdash, as Trapper would put it," Fetch said, helping Sam up and leading him to one of the study tables. "Here, sit in this chair at this table. When you feel stronger, get up and move around, you'll get better sooner that way."

The Special Stacks were set up like a huge, impossibly-tall atrium, a huge open space in the middle topped by a row of three stained-glass domes more than six stories above the ground floor, which was pierced by a pit at its center that was two stories deep; at the bottom of the pit were casual furnishings and cozy overtstuffed chairs, as well as a rather huge coffee distillator that steamed and burbled happily to itself.
The Librarian, a thick-spectacled subordinate of Mavis, peered through his glasses at the petite vision in a Justice Cadet's uniform. "Ah! So, you'd be Miss Una Malone, I take it? Yes, yes, this way, they have a whole section all to themselves." He led Una and Fetch to the second floor of the Library. "Here you'll find Weaponry, in general. Firearms and sidearms along the east wall, ordnance* along the west, hafted and pole arms on the south, everything else on the north. My name is Fletcher, just call or come find me if you have a question."

Fetch looked up at the stained glass domes, lost for a moment in the colored light. If Bluelight is the light of death and despair, he reflected, then the rosy, golden Stainlight must be the light of life and love... He followed Una, snapping suddenly back to the present.
-----------------

Elias stopped, a quizzical look on his face, then subsided back into a complacent pose. Ah, well, that's the gentry for ya, he thought. Hurry up an' wait. "I fergot, yer one o' them lawyerin' types, ain't yer, Mr. Thorn. Where will ye be wantin' ter go now, sor?"

--------------
Simmers picked up pieces of the weird flying machine, and then mopped up what needed to be mopped up, in the  process accidentally nudging one of the automatons retrieved from the Carousel of Death incident. As luck would have it, his nudge caused a nut to fall into just the right place, causing a shower of sparks to erupt from the top of the cranium, which had been left open like a hatch on an armored vehicle,  and a brief light to shine in one of the eyes. The light did not completely die away, however, and Simmers poked and prodded at the thing until it seemed to subside. Those sounds of wildly whirring gears had scared him somewhat, but the thing was silent now, after having uttered something that sounded like a badly-damaged recording cylinder playing a plea for instructions. "No instructions. just stay here." he said, feeling foolish. He looked around, and heard the sounds of Scientists and techs going home for the day. "Yeah. Right." He looked back at the forlornly-abandoned automaton, remembering a derelict old soldier who had attached himself to him back in the days when he was in the City's militia, on a long campaign against invaders. "Yeah, right, old man," he muttered. "Just follow me, I'll get us both killed." He finished the mopping and sweeping, and then hightailed it out and back upstairs to the corridors of the tower, not heeding the small whirrings of the metal man he'd left behind.

After a very long time, after all but the security lighting had been extinguished, and twilight ruled the depths of the massive Justice Corps Laboratories, a clownish automaton's internal brain began to function again. Unbeknownst to its captors, the machine had not been merely a diabolical dictation machine, but was capable of both locomotion and basic (very basic) problem solving and reasoning operations - including the process of following instructions. it stood and pondered to itself, via whirring gears, synaptic levers and tiny switches, the problem of why its vision seemed upside down. It came to the right conclusion and righted teh problem by closing its head. this in turn re-engaged a series of othe rtiny synaptic analogs, ahich connected via wires to a much large rste in teh thing's chest, and reasoning began to occur at a greater rate, andinstructions recorded were replayed.

"Follow Me." The rest was mostly gibberish, to be analyzed later fro probable meaning. After a long period of contemplation, the ambulatory clown began to walk in the direction in which Simmers had departed...
-----------------------------------------
*ordnance: an old military term for artillery and related materiel.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #699 on: September 06, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »

Sam moved along leaning on the walls at first.  "You pack one hell of a punch and that wasn't even a fight."

Una's face lit up.  She had always just been given books she asked for but to see them all waiting like it well it was magic. "What we are looking for is anything that would be state of the art during the lifetime of the Emerald Doctor." Something about this felt so right like she already had the answer all she had to do was spark a memory.

"I want you to keep an eye on them lad while I step out and use my communicator to confer with my clients. The signal in here is horrible."   Thorn smiled at the lad and then waked just outside the gate to a silent conference room.  He imputed a number and a metallic voice answered him. "What can I do for you sir?"

"He is here with the girl just like I thought he might me. Bring in the suppression force but don't activate it yet. Go with hostage program 9-b but add me to the non combatants list I don't want to give away things just yet." Thorn was almost pacing This would work, he would have the upper hand.

"Yes Sir." The machine said and then disconnected.  Below the city in the endless night things started to move.  Old drones rose once again to scan the skies and strange figures started to filter up from under the streets To suround the justice tower. No one was getting in or out without their knowledge.

Inside Sam's watch started to chime and he checked it.  "Don't suppose we could get a snack somewhere in here?  I am starving."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: