The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 07:38:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 51566 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #600 on: August 04, 2013, 06:38:05 am »

"Oh I don't think I have ever seen wine before." Una would have to try it sometime to see if the smell and taste matched up. 

The waiter had learned a lot on his first pass. He would have to get her away from the others. That chinaman was bad news but if he could get her all quiet like then the reward would be his.  Almost 5 thousand dollars for delivering that little thing to the docks unharmed and preferablely unconscious.  Easy money.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #601 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »

The beautifully feline (and deadly) Shiu Shou, a former compatriot of Fetch's from his Tong days, sat with her back to the wall in a corner of Cloud Nine not far from the LeCroix party's table. She saw the acdident and its aftermath, and therein saw an opportunity. She rose form her table and began to work her way in that direction across the crowded floor...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #602 on: August 06, 2013, 12:30:09 am »

The music was starting and Fetch was smiling at her.  Una wanted to go out on the dance floor but she still smelled funny and it bothered her.  Ah but she saw a rest room near the band.  "I am going to wash up a bit meet me on the dance floor."  She walked away with a bounce in her step.  Everything was so bright after being so dull. The whole bathroom was done up in pink and gold with sparkles.  Una could not help smiling and admiring herself in the mirror. The stalls had flowers all over them and the toilets were pink! Una was so entranced she didn't notice the man coming in the side door until he was blocking her way out.  "Mister you are not supposed to be in here." Una said peeing around the stall at him.  "and I am pretty sure you need to put the gun away sir."  Shit and her gun was back at the table.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #603 on: August 06, 2013, 05:36:25 am »

Shou watched as her quarry slipped away to the Ladies Room. Smiling slightly in a predatory sort of way, she reached into the belt purse that depended from the sash of her midnight green dress, withdrawing and palming a dart with a strong soporific coating on the tip; just in case, she also drew the leftward of the two wood-and-metal chopsticks, her fangs, as she called them, that she sported in her coif. Deadly was the reputation of Shou the Pantheress, and all in the room were shunted aside by the mere rumour of her approach. All save one.

Fetch was not as he had been before, or rather it was as though she were seeing him fully for the first time, which was not far from the truth. She still recognized him, however. They had been close once, about as close as he ever allowed anyone to be back then, but he had still been guarded. Even Boss Huang, his employer in the Tong, was not precisely sure what he looked like back then. She had not realized he had the face of a half-caste; he in fact more than slightly resembled the one she knew from reputation to be the scion of the late Andrew Lecroix, who stood close by along with her former compatriot as Una rose and excused herself to the Ladies convenience.

Shou paused just long enough to pay a surprised-looking Fetch her respects and a well-chosen distracting comment before she slipped through the crowd after the meal ticket that Una had become to half the blades-for-hire in the City. "Excuse me, mister waiter, sir, you should not be here." She lay her hand along the man's neck, pushing him aside from the doorway, as she surreptitiously pricked him with the dart, then body-shoved him out into the midst of the crowd amid a crashing of platters and crockery, pulling the door shut behind her as she slipped into the Convenience. "Men these days, yes? You are Fetch's friend, are you not? I am Shou. He asked me to look in on you, for safety's sake."

Fetch, for his part, took only a moment to work out that Shou's presence could not be mere happenstance, and with a stammered apology to Dee and Lucretia, he allowed himself to revert to his natural stealthy state and all but disappeared from view as he slipped into and  darted through the throng toward the door of the Ladies, fearing that he would be too late, with a horrible feeling of foreboding in his heart...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:38:23 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #604 on: August 06, 2013, 06:32:58 am »

"Oh thank you.  I guess he was one of those peeping toms I read about in the police blotter." Una frowned she would have to get a fancy gun holster to go with her dress so things like that didn't happen.  "Let me wash my hands and then I have dancing to do."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #605 on: August 06, 2013, 07:14:43 am »

"Oh yes, take your time, I'll just be standing right here." Shou made as if to pull a compact from her purse, but instead palmed another dart, and slipped it into a recess at the larger end of the chopstick she held in her other hand. A fast-acting sleep drug coated the tip of this newest projectile. This should knock out the little vixen in nothing flat, she thought, as she put the hollow chopstick to her lips and puffed a hard breath, launching the dart into Una's neck, just below the left ear...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #606 on: August 06, 2013, 07:44:19 am »

"Ow."  Una said turning around.  All the sudden everything seemed to be running away from her in to blackness.  "What did you do?" She asked falling towards Shou. Una tried so hard to hold on but the blackness swallowed everything.  Then she was falling in a limp crumpled heap.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #607 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

Dee looked at Lucretia with an exasperated sigh and said "cant take those two anywhere. " before rising from the table and heading towards the women's bathroom (Fetchs most likely destination) like a bull elephant,  shoulder checking anyone who didn't move fast enough.  His big pistol was already cocked and drawn.  He waved to the bouncer who came charging head on while another began locking the place down.

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #608 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:53 pm »

Lucretia tried to remember where people had been sneaking in from last fall. There was a hallway back there to service the bathrooms while not being seen from the dance floor.  Shit if someone got back there they could be out before anyone realized. She found the access door chained with a flimsy looking lock. She tried to catch Dee's eye.  If they could sneak up behind whom ever was causing trouble if they could get back there.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #609 on: August 06, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »

Unfortunately, Shou was already in that back hallway, a nearly-asleep, mumbling bundle over her shoulder, wrapped in a curtain and bound by the cordage she always carried. Cordage she could have used to escape, she now realized, as she surveyed the distance to the back alley from the window she had ripped the curtain down from. Shou cursed. It was not such a long way down, but she hated gymnastic moves with sack-of-potatoes burdens like unconscious human targets.

She heard someone fumbling with the lock at the far end of the hallway, and cursed roundly in her own language. No time for aught but a diversionary attack and headlong flight, now. Then, a maid emerged from a room at the other end, and gasped at the sight before her, then first called out "HALT! Stop right there!" While she fumbled a revolver from her pocket. The maid then screeched as Shou's solid steel chopstick embedded itself in the doorjamb just above her head. Shou whipped up her blowgun chopstick, which she had reloaded as a precautionary measure, and launched the dart straight at the locked dining room door just as the lock gave way. Without pausing to see if it struck anything telling, the feline female Tong assassin was out the window, bouncing and lunging from canopy, to far balcony, to refuse bin, to cobblestones, and was off down the alley just as Fetch exploded from the Ladies convenience service door at her back. Fetch paused not a moment, but was out the window and on Shou's heels before she had made her way halfway down the alley.

"Nice try, Pantheress!" he shouted in the vernacular of her tongue. "But you will fail!" he slipped one of his throwing knives into his hand and shifted several paces ahead, to arrive just behind Shou, swatting off a lock of her left ponytail.

"HA! so The Shadow is still able to fly, yes? We shall see who fails, my former love!" She grabbed a lamppost and swung herself around, then grabbed an overhanging pipe and swung herself up to the low roof of a lean-to, and then soon both were racing pell-mell across the rooftops and ridgelines of the Entertainment District, ever closer to the harbor.

A patrol 'thopter just happened to be checking out a completely different call a few rooftops away, and called in the apparent kidnapping (conjectured, since the well-known almost-invisible figure of Fetch was giving chase) of Una. Soon, his and three other 'thopters and a ground squad were also in hot pursuit, with Trapper's ship blasting in from the east to join in, carrying Will and Luke...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:43:43 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #610 on: August 06, 2013, 11:51:21 pm »

Jessica was not happy with the things she was overhearing.  She punched Will's com number.  "Am I hearing this right? Una has been kidnapped by ninjas. Do you need me and no 7 to get her back?"

Una was dreaming about the white room. She was always in bed when the door moved ever so quietly and the people in black flooded in.  But this time she noticed another figure hanging back silhouetted. It was some one she knew and it made her angry that she could not remember. 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #611 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:17 am »

"Trapper says if you can pull it off, do it!" Will answered. Below, Fetch made a flying tackle as Shou clambered down to the street again, a move that caused her to release Una, whose transferred momentum caused her to sail across the sidewalk and over to a grassy plot of ground within sight of the first of the harbor's storage warehouses, landing relatively softly among a pile of raked-up leaves and detritus as the two former compatriots kicked, slashed, and punched at one another.

"You bastard! I will destroy you! You left me alone among Huang's cretins!"

"We were never together, why do you keep insisting that we were lovers?" Fetch retorted. "And now you seek to kill me and the only true love I have ever known? That is not love, it is disillusioned infatuation!"

"SHUT UP! YOU BASTARD!" Shou screamed, and threw a handful of tiny knives at his face, just as he drew his blaster. "HA! So you turn to dishonorable force in the face of righteous attack!"

"No. I merely respond in kind. There is no honor in your dishonest jealousy," Fetch answered evenly and a bit sadly as he drew a bead on the woman, sidestepping the little cloud of knives easily. He thumbed the lowest setting; it would stun, rather than kill, or fry as the weapon was designed to do when set that way. He aimed and fired -- and his shot went high and wide as a slug from a large-bore rifle slammed into the shoulder of the armored undervest that he wore, causing him to spin to one side, as white and purple lights danced in his vision. "UNA!" he cried out in desperation.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:43:45 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #612 on: August 07, 2013, 01:28:13 am »

"It is all right Fetch. i have her now." No 7 was cradling Una like a baby.  Jessica did not mention that the bundle in her arms wasn't wakeing up.Fetch had enough to worry about.  it was lucky that jessica showed up as a nearby warehouse door opened and a huge blasster block rolled out and opened fire.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:34:44 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #613 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:45 am »

Dee came barreling down the hallway just in time to See something catch Lucretia in the shoulder.  All thoughts of una left his mind as he rushed to his woman's side and checked her over with a cold calculating precision.  The dart didn't look poisoned as he none to gently extracted it from Lucretius shoulder then used his bandana to tie off the wound and inject a dose of pure laz into her arm large enough to hopefully combat anything that might be on the dart if he was wrong about it being poisoned.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #614 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:49 am »

"That crazy woman schottt mee." Lucretia slurred as the laz fought with the strong knock out drops.  Every thing was a whirl of color and sound and focusing was hard. She clutched Dee as the only stable thing in her world. Lucretia looked up at him but she did not see him instead she saw something from her past that made her shake like a leaf.  "I am schorry papa I didnt mean to mish that queshtion. Please dont shind me away. I don't want to be all alone. I am schorry."  Lucretia was crying now and trying to shakily pull herself in to a ball.  Things that she had kept locked away were now flooding back in that dark hallway and she was scared.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #615 on: August 07, 2013, 05:07:41 am »

Whoever was manning the blaster block did not care about anything but destroying the competition surrounding Una; that much was plain from the way that it hosed fire around almost indiscriminately. it was only a matter of seconds before Shou disappeared with horribly short scream in a veritable horizontal hailstorm of blaster bolts, her lower body and then the rest of her blasted nearly to atoms almost too quickly to allow the sound to come forth from her mouth.

Fetch ducked behind a hitch ring block, a relic of the days when horses, rather than steam. ruled the streets of the City-- but it was a temporary shelter only. The marble block began to disintegrate and melt at the edges as it was liberally hosed down with blaster fire. "JESSICA!" he shouted. "GET UNA OUT OF HERE! TAKE A 'THOPTER, OR RUN LIKE THE WIND, ANYTHING!" He palmed a smoke grenade and tossed it upwind; the fire rate dissipated a little as the targets became unclear, and he sprang up and shoved Jessica toward a nearby 'thopter (which just happened to be Ariadne). Go on! I'll take care of the blasters!" He hefted his combat blaster, and thumbed the power all the way up to Maximum. The thing began to whine and glow as it powered up.

Get everyone clear, Mister von Trappe," he called to Trapper. "When that thing goes, it's going to take half the block with it!" He cried, as Will reached out of the 'thopter with Luke to help bring Una aboard.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #616 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:06 am »

Jessica ran as fast as she could holding on to Una. She jumped and clung to the outer hull and pounded on the hatch.  "Be careful with her. She inst waking up and I don't know why."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #617 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:03 am »

"That was Shiu Shou," Trapper answered on the 'thopter's exterior speaker. "She and her Tong buddies use a potent altered and cioncentrated form of an opiate for soporific purposes. It's twice as effective as ether or chloro, and lasts about twice as long if it's a blowdart dose, which is what Shou used; she's -- she was famous for it," Trapper said. "Hang on, Jessica, we're going back to the Hall." Ariadne swung up and back over the rooftops, heading back homeward like a bullet as both Fetch and three 'thopters and their crews concentrated their fire on the Blaster array. Three shots from Fetch's blaster and a withering constant volley from the 'thopters later, the warehouse where the array had appeared was mostly slag and rubble, and the array was beginning to glow dull red...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #618 on: August 07, 2013, 07:12:42 am »

"Is there any way we can speed up her detox? Fetch is going to flip out if he sees her like that."  Jessica hoped that whoever started all this off was gone with that blaster. She did not always understand Una but she did not want her to be locked up even if it was for her own safety.

Thompson was rather shocked the girl seemed as slippery as an eel with half the low lifes of the city after her she was still evading him.  Perhaps it was time for a more hands on game.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #619 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:09 pm »

The combined firepower of the 'thopters and Fetch's horrifically-powerful blaster was finally too much for the blaster block. The operator was seen to flee the scene, yelling that it was going to blow, as three of the barrels, still in firing mode, melted down over their own muzzles. At the same time, a fortuitously (?) well-timed shot from Fetch blew a hole through the blast shield and fried several control components. A rising whine came from the block, increased in intensity and pitch, and finally turned the light in the area to a negative-image effect as the block glowed first bright pink, then white, then incandescent negative, and finally blasted itself apart in a titanic detonation that leveled a neighboring warehouse and blasted out windows all over the neighborhood.

The 'thopters had begun to turn away; luckily it turned out, as the shockwave shoved everything back at least twenty feet and flattened spectators and justices alike. As Fetch an the others picked themselves up again and fought to their bring aerial battlewagons back under control, a black mushroom cloud, shot through with flames and flashes of energy, rose up over the West Harbor District. Fetch left a harness bull contingent and an Armored Corps Justice in charge to clean up the mess, and hightailed it back to the Justices' Tower with one of the 'thopters, anxious for Una's wellbeing...
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »

Dee sat with his back to a wall as Lucretia cried and shook in his lap, battling old fears. He'd never known nor cared about her past, but now here in that deserted hallway, he did his best to bring her out of it. His arms were wrapped around her pulling her tight against his barrel chest as he stroked her hair and whispered soft words of reassurance in her ear.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

The Chief was livid.  "I want to know who the hell is building banned tech to go after my officers! Justice Una is under protective custody until we have this sorted.  Get her to the docs Will. I will make sure Fetch knows what is going on. Trapper get Fetch as soon as he comes in.  I don't want him getting all worked up."

Lucretia calmed slowly. The laz helped a lot and soon she was curled up close to him half asleep. "What l said... don't" She could not tell Dee how exposed and embarrassed she was.  All the things she kept buried were out under the light and she worried he thought she was weak ans no longer want her.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2013, 11:43:55 pm »

It was a bit too late to keep Fetch from getting worked up. HE had gotten the message to see the Chief as soon as he arrived, and he was thus off of the 'thopter before it even reached the building and striding down the corridor to her office long before anyone even thought of expecting his presence.

He shifted several times on the way, until he was confronted by Trapper just outside the administrative suite. "Fetch, you need to come with me and see th--!" Trapper began, and then cut off as the ninja-like justice simply disappeared. At nearly the same instant, Fetch materialized in front of Thigpen's secretary. "I believe the Chief wants to see me immediately," he said in such a dark, threatening and downright deadly voice that the poor girl blanched and slammed her finger down on the nearest button, any button -- which just happened to be the one for the Suppression Corps. Alarums rang out all over the Tower, and steel shutters slammed down over every portal that they could be slammed down over as teh Corpswmen scrambled to reach the chief before anything bad could happen to her.

"Er, er, uh, OoOPs!" The secretary said, horrendously rattled, and added, "you can go right in, Justice Fetch, I'll rescind the alarm and send the Suppression people away." I hope, she added to herself. "Chief," she calle don the intercom, "er, oh my, Justice Fetch is uh, here to uh, see you. Yes, that's it. Uh... here he comes." And she keyed the button for the door. Fetch walked in meek as a lamb -- well, a lamb with a rocket launcher, perhaps...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #623 on: August 08, 2013, 01:13:43 am »

"Before you tear my tower apart listen. Una is in the med bay. She is still unconscious but fine other then a few bruises from being tossed around. Once she recovers I am pulling you off active duty and you are to keep Justice Una in the tower and help her research.  I don't want her setting a foot outside until we stop whoever has the hit out on her is gone. She is your responsibility now so keep her out of trouble.  There is a room connected to hers through the bathroom. It is now yours I expect you to be moved in asap."  There was the ghost of a smile on the Chief's face. She was fairly sure that Fetch would not fuss to much at his new duties.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #624 on: August 08, 2013, 04:40:40 am »

Dee silenced her with a kiss as he gently scooped her up in his arms and took her back inside.  One of the waiters was already packing their food in a doggy bag which he gave to Dee as they passed out the door. The valet pulled up with a car nd they drove in silence back to Lucretias apartment. The elevator ride up was equally quiet as he led her in through the door and into the bedroom where he silently laid her down before laying beside her and ggently cradling her head against his Chest. "I love you" was all he said as he held her close
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: