The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 08:15:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 childrens / YA steampunk novels in the Guardian  (Read 1256 times)
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »

Sharon Gosling (author of The Diamond Thief) has published a list of her top 10 steampunk books for children / young adults on the Guardian website. It's at http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/2013/feb/28/sharon-gosling-top-10-childrens-steampunk-books.

The list consists of:
1. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne
2. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
3. The Nine-Pound Hammer by Jean Claude Bemis
4. Leviathan / Behemoth / Goliath by Scott Westerfeld
5. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznik
6. The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec / The Arctic Marauder by Jacques Tardi
7. The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick
8. Return of the Dapper Men by Jim McCann & Janet Lee
9. Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
10. Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure by David H Burton
Plus The Strange Case of Finley Jayne / The Girl In The Steel Corset / The Girl In The Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross.

Some of the choices are very interesting. For example, she lists all 3 books in the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, but only the first books in the Mortal Engines quartet by Philip Reeve and Clockwork Dark Trilogy by Jean Claude Bemis (although she does mention that both books are the first in their respective series). I'm not sure if she doesn't recommend the sequels (hence their exclusion) or if this is just an oversight.

I think it's also refreshing to see a couple of graphic novels included in the list because many people look down on them because they're not 'proper' fiction (whatever that means). Also graphic novels can be more accessible for some young readers who might be put off by a novel (and anything which encourages young people to read is a good idea in my opinion).

I was just wondering what everybody else thinks of the list and if there are any other books you think should have been included (or excluded).

From a personal perspective, I have a 13-month old son (our little 'Steampumpkin') and I've really enjoyed reading Her Majesty's Explorer and Steamduck Learns to Fly by Emilie P. Bush to him, although both books are aimed at a younger audience than the ones on this list. When he's older I look forward to reading the Larklight trilogy (Larklight, Starcross and Mothstorm) by Philip Reeve with him.

woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:14:42 pm »

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne? When I read it I did not even think that it was for kids once...

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:42 pm »

I think if you want something Vernian for younger kids, you can't go far wrong with "Moon Journey" by Jay Williams. Sadly it's been out of print for decades, but second hand copies can still be found. It's adapted from a Verne novel, hence he's also credited as author, and beautifully illustrated by Daniel Le Noury.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: