The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2019, 10:39:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.  (Read 32089 times)
Eric T Paradigm
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »

Mulling over the problem of "shooting whilst scooting" in any steam western Nerf mayhem, last week I have come up with a possible partial solution to my problem. (Specifically, the problem of how to shoot more than a single Nerf dart with my left hand when my right hand is needed to control the mobility scooter. Not the other problem involving wet lettuce, obviously.) The supermarket was selling the Nerf "Stockade", which uses the power of Volta's electric storage cells to propel the darts and permits 10 darts to be fired without any reloading activity. (I had hoped to be able to use Voltaire's electric piles but although this seemed funnier, it was less effective.) Having procured said non-lethal weapon (NLW), I have indeed found that left-handed multi-shot dart-apocalypse (exaggeration may just have crept in here) is possible. The slight downside is that the range of the NLW is much less than any other spring-powered Nerf gun that I have.
The question I have at the moment Is therefore would anybody mind if I got (very) close to other participants before releasing a hail of low-powered darts in a steam western shoot-out?

Or perhaps a separate shoot-out for any participants using puny electric Nerf guns?

As I said, only a partial solution......

I'll get my (frock) coat!

Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

I'm always Casting something

« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2013, 10:44:11 pm »

Can't you attach something like a riot shield to the front of the scooter then speed forward as an apocalyptic hail of deadly foam ricochets from it, arriving just in time to fire a single deadly shot as your opponent runs out of ammo  Cool

You could always spike the judges tea so they're too merry to notice the shield Grin

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
Eric T Paradigm
Officer

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:30 pm »

Can't you attach something like a riot shield to the front of the scooter then speed forward as an apocalyptic hail of deadly foam ricochets from it, arriving just in time to fire a single deadly shot as your opponent runs out of ammo  Cool

You could always spike the judges tea so they're too merry to notice the shield Grin

Some great ideas there, Mr Spider. Perhaps, rather than a riot shield, a Ned Kelly-style armour would be a good idea. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly#Armour) It may not be American West but would be OK for Australian 1870-1880 period. The idea for spiking the judges' tea sounds equally promising!
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:22 pm »

Ned Kelly style armour sounds an excellent idea, though could be a little warm for the second week in September Wink
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:34 am »

The Ned Kelly armour is indeed a splendid idea, but if I may offer an alternative view on the shield idea proposed earlier...

Last year, at work I was given a number of oversized Velcro patches that were designed as marketing material for the less-than-stellar Medal of Honour: Warfighter that we released. My son thought they were great and so I made him a tactical shield with the opposing Velcro on it so he could swap out the badges:

Anyway, the point being that the slot on the side of the shield is designed to secure the slide of a shotgun, so the operator can hook the gun into the slot and work the pump-action with one hand. Perhaps you could do something similar but to work the slide on a Nerf gun while still providing cover.

This shield is about 16" wide and 24" high, but obviously you could make it any size you require.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:26 am »

Ive just visited the ranch house in Netherton Dudley and found the owner really helpful and the prices looked very reasonable. Although not of that much use to my character I thought someone here might appreciate a friendly shop.

www.ranchhouse.co.uk

Smiley

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:18 am »

I'm planning a Bounty/Monster hunter outfit for one of the days at this years Asylum. The original idea was Dieselpunk, but it is swinging more and more towards a Weird West look. I may have to join you chaps if an Asylum meetup is being planned
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:12 am »

I think I can say that I am now all sorted for  Weird West Saturday at Asylum!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2013, 08:29:20 pm »

I'm keeping it simple, so have been ready for some time now. Just say the time, place and any plans to do things when we meet.
Eric T Paradigm
Officer

« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »

Also ready for Weird West Saturday, especially since I have worked out a technique for multi-shot with a Maverick using one hand only.
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »

I'm getting inspired by watching the original Wild Wild West series starring Robert Conrad on YouTube Smiley
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:38 pm »

Are we having a shoot out at High Noon Grin
Eric T Paradigm
Officer

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »

Are we having a shoot out at High Noon Grin

It would certainly give everyone a good appetite for lunch! Nerf mayhem as an apéritif probably even trumps a glass of amontillado.

It may be a good idea to wait until the programme for Saturday is available before deciding on a time so as to avoid missing some other event we would like to attend.
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »

Greetings and good evening to one and all. I have just joined your esteemed little group and found this particular thread very interesting as I have been and still am a dedicated Western re-enactor as well as a Steam Punk fan. To combine the two would be marvelous as I have all the correct gear and weaponry for both. I live in the North West of England near Warrington, Cheshire. Are there any others here about?
Kind regards, Dr. Cogg.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2013, 08:16:12 pm »

I have such a beautiful outfit all lined up, however I am now working on Dr Geof's stall for the weekend, so my symphony in white and silver shall have to be put off for another time.   Cry
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2013, 11:42:47 pm »

I have such a beautiful outfit all lined up, however I am now working on Dr Geof's stall for the weekend, so my symphony in white and silver shall have to be put off for another time.   Cry

That sir, is a tragedy.......   We will raise a glass to absent fiends....

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:43 am »

Oh that's a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing that, Willoughy. Can we assume then, that you won't be seen much around the Victoria during the day if you're on Dr Geof's stall?
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

No one around my area then?    Sad
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2013, 12:32:55 pm »

No one around my area then?    Sad

I'm sure there are. Possibly members, or ex-members, of the 'The Liverpool League of Gentlemen and Extraordinary Ladies' could point Doctor Cogg in the direction of like-minded individuals in his area?

But does 'The Liverpool League of Gentlemen and Extraordinary Ladies' still exist?

I will try to contact a member and get back to you.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »

Many thanks, Rockula. I appreciate it, sir.
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:31 pm »

Still going...they recently had a Tweed run...

facebook group here.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/llogael/
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:27 pm »

Thank you, sir.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2013, 10:14:45 pm »

Programme has been published:

http://steampunk.synthasite.com/resources/Timetable%202013%20short%20final.pdf

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:22 am »

Sadly, due to severe cashflow problems over the past year, I have not been able to get any western kit together. So I am afraid that I shall have to drop out of the shootout.  Cry
However I will be with you all in spirit, (And probably a camera.)
There is always 2014.
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:38 am »

What are the plans for the shootout? I'm a first timer so I may need plans explained in words of one syllable. Would be much appreciated
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: