Author Topic: experiments in reanimation; the Bio aetheric laboratory  (Read 14731 times)

cthulhu_spawn

experiments in reanimation; the Bio aetheric laboratory
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:34:10 am »

Mary Shelley was not aware that by the time her book was published, the ill gotten subject matter of her novel had already been given life; the limbs of the dead torn from their shallow graves, fed with copper wire, conduits for aetheric charge, plunged deep into muscle and tissue. In the darkened hovels of blackmarket surgery; those who'd lost hands and legs to war and punishment craved new peices of meat to quench their dextrous dreams.. bio aetheric mechanical limbs; body parts, organs. The technology bred in sewer laboratories, where apes arms jumped and cavorted on electric current, tapped from the heavens, or in this case from life itself.
The portable Bio aetheric laboratory was the property of one Thadeus Belacleese, ex surgeon to the crown, stricken from his workplace after a series of malevolent experiments were uncovered. Driven by a passion like no other, he scoured the streets for the homeless and the wretched - taking their birth given life and returning it to them via his own dreadful means.
This is the actual bio aetheric lab, the stinking yet mobile remains of a gibbon arm, cruor dripping wires weave and plunge within rotten flesh; the notes and illustrations of a man obsessed with life, shrouded in a thick unsympathetic coating of death. contained within this odd miniature theatre are dissecting tools, flasks of unknown liquids, bottles of teeth, syringes, slides of bacterium and disease, and unsurprisingly, a bible, perhaps to quell his own fears of death.
but it is not known when Mr. Thadeus Belacleese died, and it has been hypothesised that he may have finally discovered the key to life, and thus a cure for death itself..

(youll have to excuse some of the TERRIBLE photos, my new camera is a pile of shit and wont focus. hence the terrible photoshopping of a lense flare on one of the photos. ill do some better ones later)

see the monkey arm move!!! (in terrible pixelated quality!!)

also on ebay now (not sure how this will do...who knows..)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190156478606
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:06:02 am by Alexcf »

Commissar Swoosh

• Officer
  • Inventor of the Mechanical Cheese Wheel
Re: experiments in reanimation; the Bio aetheric laboratory
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:48:00 am »
Very nice! I must say the candles kind of put some romance into the air. Even the most macho of men wont be able to fight the urge to sip a little bubbly as the arm flails around.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:51:32 am by Commissar Swoosh »
If God thought The Doors were better than Cream, Jim Morrison would be able to defend his band today. Either this disproves God, or proves Clapton is the real god.

Commander Obadiah

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Gatherer of Misguided Inventions
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 11:12:12 am »
Wonderful job, sir. I'm afraid I cannot get the arm to move, but I'm incredibly impressed with the overall piece. One tiny piece, in fact the only piece I would change, is the knife switch might look better given a brass handle. Other than that... It's so realistic, I can almost smell the rotting flesh.

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

Vincent Théière

• Zeppelin Captain
  • The skull behind the skin.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:41:30 am »
WOW!!!!
I love your work like a fat kid loves a giant cake made out of lots of smaller cakes!!
(Disclaimer: I don't encourage making fun of fat kids and am in fact a touch porky myself :P)

Tinkergirl

• Brass Goggles Curator
  • Founders
  • Zeppelin Captain
    • Brass Goggles - Steampunk Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
How cruel that I notice this thread at the END of my lunchbreak. *sighs*  The inevitible post will have to wait until later.  Beautiful and disturbing, Alex - just perfect.

Nevernaut

• Gunner
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:38:55 pm »
That is simply astounding, sir.  Your attention to detail is amazing.

The movement of the ape hand is what pushes it over the top, though.  Simply stunning!

Suzanne

• Gunner
  • Freshly embalmed
    • Suzanne G. - Giving Taste A Bad Name Since Kindergarten
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:48:30 pm »
Our Dear Leader Warren Ellis will love this. I'm sending him an email.

Jake of All Trades

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart
    • Jake of All Trades
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:07:35 pm »
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit--but in a good way ;D  Fantastically unnerving work as usual, Mr. CF!
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

cthulhu_spawn

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »
Wonderful job, sir. I'm afraid I cannot get the arm to move, but I'm incredibly impressed with the overall piece. One tiny piece, in fact the only piece I would change, is the knife switch might look better given a brass handle. Other than that... It's so realistic, I can almost smell the rotting flesh.

Commander C. Obadiah

unfortunately the switch does not activate the arm, the arm is on a motion sensor so when you walk near it, the arm suddenly comes to life! (now guess what the arm is built out of..!)

Jake of All Trades

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Jake of All Trades
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »
Oh heavens, it's not one of those singing fish is it?

Saphyra

• Snr. Officer
  • Femineer
    • The Femineer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:03 pm »
That just makes it all the creepier and wonderful that it is on a motion sensor.

Hmm, if I give this to my Da for Christmas maybe he won't mind me absconding his Billy Bass and the Dancing Gopher. What can you do with a Dancing Gopher?
"And here for the first time in my life I saw my beloved Mississippi River, dry in the summer haze, low water, with its big rank smell like the raw body of America itself." Jack Kerouac ~ 'On the Road'

Oh how I long to return to my Mighty Mississippi River.

Ettie

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 04:59:55 pm »
I have seen this before!
Very creepy

Thanks for posting it up! ;)

Commissar Swoosh

• Officer
  • Inventor of the Mechanical Cheese Wheel
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 08:39:33 pm »

Commander C. Obadiah

unfortunately the switch does not activate the arm, the arm is on a motion sensor so when you walk near it, the arm suddenly comes to life! (now guess what the arm is built out of..!)

You act as if it isn't a real arm!

Prof. A. Morphous

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:08 pm »
Fantastic Sir! I only wish I could see it in person. Keep up the good work.

-Prof. A. Morphous  ;D
"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper

Bobby_Brazil

• Gunner
  • steamed up
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 11:43:10 pm »
wow i like the dial to which the arm is attached
Listen for the unsaid, while believing the unseen

Vienna Fahrmann

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:16:54 am »

Dear Alexcf,

Yet another awesome complilation of objects.  I would be happy to have 1/10th of your skill and artistry.  Just curious...how long on average does it take to find a buyer for your compilations?

Dear Saphyra,

Asking what someone can do with a Dancing Gopher is probably not a safe question to ask on this forum...that's what makes it so much fun. (grin)

Hikaro Takayama

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland
    • My YouTube, where you can find videos about my contraptions, music & other adventures
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:42 am »
Alex, that is a brilliant and superb creation in an unbelievably creepy way!

Keep up the good work.
"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."

cthulhu_spawn

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:44 am »

Dear Alexcf,

Yet another awesome complilation of objects.  I would be happy to have 1/10th of your skill and artistry.  Just curious...how long on average does it take to find a buyer for your compilations?

Dear Saphyra,

Asking what someone can do with a Dancing Gopher is probably not a safe question to ask on this forum...that's what makes it so much fun. (grin)

i sell all my work on ebay, it allows me to find a bigger audience, so the buyers have 10 days to buy. they sell for different prices, as is the nature of ebay, but it pays the rent!
and im actually working on a "dancing gopher" style mod at present, although its innards are actually a dancing clock work clown.

glad you guys like this, yes it was a billy the bass singing fish. it dont sing no more!

Vienna Fahrmann

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:55:26 am »

Dear Alexcf,

Thank you for removing at least one singing fish from the world.

Vienna

cthulhu_spawn

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 03:00:07 am »

Dear Alexcf,

Thank you for removing at least one singing fish from the world.

Vienna

its funny actually. whilst constructing the arm, the song "take me down to the river" was permenantly etched in my head, id be fixing fake fur to the bastard once its rubber skin was removed and it would periodically sing at me. i unscrewed screws and fiddled with wires and speakers but the thing would not shut up.

in the end a large knife was plunged forth into said speaker. billy never sang again..

MWA HA HA *cough* HA HA!!!

Jake of All Trades

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Jake of All Trades
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:35 am »
its funny actually. whilst constructing the arm, the song "take me down to the river" was permenantly etched in my head, id be fixing fake fur to the bastard once its rubber skin was removed and it would periodically sing at me. i unscrewed screws and fiddled with wires and speakers but the thing would not shut up.

in the end a large knife was plunged forth into said speaker. billy never sang again..

God bless the man who has true stories like that to tell, and God bless the forum on which such a tale doesn't stand out in the least  ;D

Commander Obadiah

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Gatherer of Misguided Inventions
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 06:20:49 am »
Amen.

Commander C. Obadiah

GabrielCrimson

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Algernon Drakenbelly II
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:53 am »
bloody brilliant. what is your home like on halloween.

Vincent Théière

• Zeppelin Captain
  • The skull behind the skin.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:04 am »

I didn't think you could get any cooler... apparently I was wrong. :P

Angus D. Murphy

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Professional Lunatic
    • Ministry of Dubious Affairs
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 12:02:50 pm »

Commander C. Obadiah

Heheheheh... my first thought when I saw the video of the arm was "I wonder what it sings"
"Born to be alive" would have been nice.
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
-Sir Terry Pratchett