The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2019, 10:25:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 22718 times)
Lucy Lockhart
Deck Hand
England England

"When women go wrong, men go right after them." Ma

Alexandra Peel
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:19 pm »

Have to agree completely with Herr Doktor, found it absorbing visually, but the characters are a bit cliched. Not keen on the Inspector Reid personal story (horse faced wife doesn't help), doctor Homer Jackson seems interesting, though he looks a little like a sexy Robert Webb,( slightly disturbing) or is that just me? Would like more depth, it seems like these days in film and TV, you can have storyline OR costume OR drama OR character OR whatever, but not all at once; I think the viewing audiences are all grown up enough to follow more complicated storylines and appreciate having to think about and engage with drama rather than just looking at the well painted scenery. They seem to be able to do it with the Danish Noirs like The Killing.

Found it to be completely done by the numbers, barely had to watch to be one or two steps ahead all the way through.

Still, looked bloody good, and I will be tuning in for the rest of the series, which probably says more about me than anything!

Wink

EDIT: Found the characterisation to be good; but wasn't remotely surprised to see the lead is a 'tec with ideas ahead of his time, and surmised that there was at least partly US backing by the appearance of the Yankee Doctor; didn't recognise Jerome Flynn at all!

Lovely clothes all the way through!

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)
GarethG
Zeppelin Overlord
Wales Wales

Wyrd bið ful aræd

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »

Just caught up with the two episodes so far, quite enjoyed it myself.

A bit of a puzzle for me though, if the Inspector was part of the Ripper case, he would have been well known to the people of the area, yes?

So how can he be 'under-cover' at an illegal prize-fight? Surely someone there would recognise him?

Gareth.

You, sir! Make an effort!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

Just caught up with the two episodes so far, quite enjoyed it myself.

A bit of a puzzle for me though, if the Inspector was part of the Ripper case, he would have been well known to the people of the area, yes?

So how can he be 'under-cover' at an illegal prize-fight? Surely someone there would recognise him?

Gareth.

I don't suppose that every officer, of which there were very many, involved in the Ripper enquiries where known by sight to all of the (approx. 13,000) inhabitants. It would be unlikely that his picture had appeared in the newspapers and if it had it would have been more than likely a sketch.
 But the real answers is that it's just a TV show mate. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »

Steampedants.  Grin

Yup! Is there a graph in some scientific paper that charts the rise of personal knowledge, with a tipping point where one's knowledge starts to affect* the enjoyment of something previously innocently enjoyed?   Grin

*affects enjoyment yes, but not necessarily spoils it. That would be a further point on the graph, where one becomes a Subject Boor  Wink
Palmyrin Rosette
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 12:51:32 am »

All those Victorian sets, costumes, props, what a waste of public money for a single series!

To really get value for money they need to be re-used. A Lizard Woman from the dawn of time, her wife and her potato headed butler perhaps?

Indeed, but don't you think that Ripper Street is design wise a rip off of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes, with it's gritty style, fight sequence in the first episode, and even down to the title laid out in metal type blocks! Smiley

Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:29 pm »

So I finally managed to catch up with this (do wish I hadn't decided to do so over pizza though) Undecided. I think it's got great potential and has certainly perked up Sunday night viewing.

I wouldn't disagree with the observation that there may be a slight Guy Ritchie influence. But in all honesty Mr Ritchie was at least partly taking his cues from older programs from the likes of the BBC and other companies. So what goes around comes around.

I believe it was actually Thames Television who were partly behind this offering for example. Still I highly recommend it if you missed out the first time.

Jack The Ripper : The Suspects
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:37:19 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Colonel Primbroke
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:26 am »

I watched the first episode last night and found it enjoyable. I had asked some UK friends about it beforehand and one described it as Guy Ritchie's Murdoch MysteriesCheesy

It does come across as rather formulaic in parts but it's still entertaining. The cast was excellent and the Dublin locations work perfectly.

I'll definitely watch the second episode and see how things pan out from there.

1st Syrtis Major Regiment.
Martian Expeditionary Forces
Mars

"Do you have a flag?"
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:12 am »

Ripper Street reminds me of Copper, a drama made by BBC America last year (in fact, I think it was the first original drama BBC America have made). It was set in New York in the 1860s, during the aftermath of the draft riots. BBC America has ordered a second series which will be on later this year.

Here's the plot overview from wikipedia:
The series centers on Kevin Corcoran, an Irish immigrant policeman trying to keep the peace in the historical Five Points neighborhood in 1860s New York City while searching for information on the disappearance of his wife and death of his daughter. It explores the effects of the American Civil War as well as the social stratification involving New York's aristocracy and African American population.

I don't think BBC will show it in the UK as it's very similar to Ripper Street: similar time period, similar themes (police corruption and brutality, political interference and public unrest), which is a pity as it's well worth a look.

Of course, technically-minded people of nefarious morals could 'acquire' it online if they were interested (or just buy the region 1 boxset on DVD)

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 02:12:32 pm »

Ripper Street reminds me of Copper, a drama made by BBC America last year....I don't think BBC will show it in the UK as it's very similar to Ripper Street

'Copper' will be shown in the U.K. but no date has been fixed. It's already been shown in Australia.
 I bought the Blu Ray and liked it a lot. There are obvious similarities with 'Ripper Street' (and, indeed, 'Murdoch Mysteries') but is sufficiently different that both can be enjoyed.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »

I'm still waiting for Hell On Wheels to make it over here as well. I must admit it seems like a good time to be a C19th period drama fan.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

I'm still waiting for Hell On Wheels to make it over here as well. I must admit it seems like a good time to be a C19th period drama fan.

The first series is now on it's 3rd showing on TCM (UK) (and the 2nd series premiers this month with a 3rd confirmed).
 But I bought the 1st series on DVD (£18) to avoid the commercials. Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:01 pm »

Excellent, I've just got basic free view and unfortunately no TCM, but I'd certainly get the DVD at that price.  Smiley
Colonel Primbroke
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16:54 am »

'Copper' will be shown in the U.K. but no date has been fixed. It's already been shown in Australia.
It has? Ah Google tells me it went out on cable which would explain why I missed it.
Steam Monkey
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:30 am »

Finally got round to watching episode one on iPlayer.

Yup, agree with the general Guy Richie influence. The locations and costumes are terrific.

For anyone unsure on some of the slang:

Lurk : a hideaway
Rookery: the London slums
Snide: HMV gift vouchers

Primate Shenanigans
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:31 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've 'acquired' the first few episodes online (and as always, if I like it, I'll probably add the boxset to my amazon wishlist)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 11:18:26 am »

Finally got round to watching episode one on iPlayer.

Yup, agree with the general Guy Richie influence. The locations and costumes are terrific.

For anyone unsure on some of the slang:

Lurk : a hideaway
Rookery: the London slums
Snide: HMV gift vouchers

HMV gift vouchers???  Cheesy

Yes I have to say the language does take a little following sometimes. I think it's becoming more exaggerated as the series progresses as I particularly noticed it with episode three. Don't get me wrong I think it's very clever, but it may not translate well for some folks.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »

I'm watching it now.  Why do prostitutes always have their hands on their hips provocatively, even in the police station?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »

I'm watching it now.  Why do prostitutes always have their hands on their hips provocatively, even in the police station?

It's probably backache.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »

It's probably backache.

Which explains why they have to lie down a lot

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Plutus Sar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:35 am »

I always wondered about that.

Enjoyed the show, though.  This is the first time I've seen it.

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »

I'm pleased to announce that Ripper Street has been renewed for a second series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21258110.

Hurrah!
ClaraRose
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »

Greetings, all. I'm Clara Rose, a newb, and have adored this show from the start, but thought the last episode, The Weight of One Man's Heart, was particularly good. The character development of Drake and the horror faced in war was beautifully done. I won't spoil the end for those who have yet to watch but I have to admit that this doll cried.

I also rather adore the language.  I have no idea if it's periodically accurate but it pleases my little ears greatly.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

It sits very nicely in a little milieu with Copper and Murdoch Mysteries.

I am glad of the second series, it has been fun picking it apart and putting it back together.

What would be fun would be to have Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax just standing in the background of a scene. Well the have already included the 8th Doctor.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:48:48 pm by Mr Peter Harrow, Esq » Logged
Plutus Sar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 07:59:38 pm »

Most happy that it will be continuing, so few good shows on anymore.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »

I'm finding that the earlier episodes were much more interesting, and believable, than the later ones, so far.  The plot where the police sergeant opens his heart out to a prostitute was most trite, and the same policeman joins in with a plot to do a major bank robbery even more unbelievable.  Sorry to disagree with the lady above who loved this episode.  (loved the love birds though.  Cry)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: