The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2019, 10:31:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 22719 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2016, 09:10:18 pm »

It's on BBC2 if anyone is missing it.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:37 am »

It's on BBC2 if anyone is missing it.

Didn't miss it.  Wink

Also set the recorder for next week 'cause we won't be back from Lincoln.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Harvey Midnight
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2016, 04:44:05 am »

Ok, I've only just discovered this show.. and I love it!  I've just finished season 2, literally an hour ago... there's a third season showing on Netflix-- haven't got thru it yet, but apparently there's already been a fourth season aired??

Is this on Amazon Prime?  Just wondering if I'll need to hop to Amazon to see season 4?? 
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2016, 05:56:25 am »

Stupid British Bank holiday, forgot what day it was on Sad
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:30 pm »

I must say I'm really enjoying the current series on the Beeb (season 4), and having seen the 'next time' trailer for next week's episode (A White World Turned Red) , I have fantastical thoughts that the coppers from Leman Street might find themselves wandering into the Penny Dreadful universe  Roll Eyes . I don't think old Drac stands a chance...

Yours,
Miranda.
cossoft
Gunner

« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2016, 01:14:23 am »

A Lizard Woman from the dawn of time ...

This comment perhaps doesn't meet the metro sexual modernised view of old Victorian values, but do you really think that a Lizard woman is going to trump Rachel Welch in a cave girl outfit?  That faux deer skin is also going to be a lot cheaper than those that Long Sally wears.  And you don't have to wash them.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »

For some reason not enjoying this season as much, still good but lacks something. Not sure if it's the story lines or just a familiarity thing.  Undecided

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2016, 08:55:51 pm »

I thought it was just me.  I actually got a bit bored half-way through and switched it off.  I find I am not so interested in the characters this time and do not care as much what happens to them.  Maybe I will watch the other half to see what happens some time.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2016, 10:09:37 pm »

DAMN!

I didn't see that coming. I expected SOMEONE to die but it wasn't who I thought...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2016, 10:14:55 pm »

I thought it was just me.  I actually got a bit bored half-way through and switched it off.  I find I am not so interested in the characters this time and do not care as much what happens to them.  Maybe I will watch the other half to see what happens some time.

We've just seen the last episode - the last couple, at least, are definitely worth catching!

DAMN!

I didn't see that coming. I expected SOMEONE to die but it wasn't who I thought...

Indeed, and as it reached fifteen minutes to go it was obvious there was no way the story was going to be wrapped up and we had a cliff-hanger coming. Series five will be intersting indeed...

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »

It's bad enough to leave it on such a cliff-hanger, but how could they DO THAT!?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »

Warning - the reply below contains a slight plot spoiler, and is not in any way serious...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yours,
Miranda.
AstorKaine
Officer

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 06:10:35 pm »

The slow burn of this series was a little frustrating, but I must echo the comments of others - the finale came like a punch to the midriff.

The final six episodes are released on Wednesday via Amazon Prime; normally I'm not one for watching TV online, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait until next year to see how the story ends...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:45 pm »

The slow burn of this series was a little frustrating, but I must echo the comments of others - the finale came like a punch to the midriff.

The final six episodes are released on Wednesday via Amazon Prime; normally I'm not one for watching TV online, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait until next year to see how the story ends...

According to the Radio Times series 5 will be one long story dealing with the aftermath of series 4's conclusion. However, as we do not subscribe to a streaming service we will just have to be patient! Mind you, we're only halfway through the DVD set of Penny Dreadful series 1, so I suppose we could be finishing that off in the meantime.

Yours,
Miranda.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2016, 06:51:09 pm »

I can't believe it ended like that.
Mind you, he did do a story for black mirror and still has GOT going for him.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:49 pm »

normally I'm not one for watching TV online, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait until next year to see how the story ends...
Calm yourself Sir! One needs something to look forward to and there's much to be said for anticipation.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »

However, as we do not subscribe to a streaming service we will just have to be patient! Mind you, we're only halfway through the DVD set of Penny Dreadful series 1, so I suppose we could be finishing that off in the meantime.

Yours,
Miranda.

We're the same - including being halfway through Penny Dreadful; but I think we'll have to rewatch it from the beginning to get back into the storyline (with Warehouse 13, which we also have the complete box set of, as light relief).
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »

Having just watched the final ever, and very downbeat, episode of 'Ripper Street' with the bells ringing out for New Year 1900 I just wondered.....

Could Matthew Macfadyen's 'Edmund Reid' maybe turn up in 'Murdoch Mysteries' in 1905.....

Well, it's just a thought.... Smiley
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:03 pm »

Very good end though. Decisively killing off all the main characters, those that made the show such a good one, means that it can never return. A pity, for I was really enjoying the series. Some thought it slow, I thought it well-paced in these days of fast-action Yankee crime scene investigations. The whole Whitechapel setting, the restrained acting, the engagement inspired in all the characters, was done very well indeed.

I will miss Ripper Street, though appalled by many horrific scenes the emotions that it engendered in the viewer made it compulsory watching for me.

A taster for those that missed it:

Ripper Street Season 5 - The Final Season | Amazon Prime Video

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:38:46 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2017, 11:04:07 pm »

Very good end though. Decisively killing off all the main characters, those that made the show such a good one, means that it can never return. A pity, for I was really enjoying the series. Some thought it slow, I thought it well-paced in these days of fast-action Yankee crime scene investigations. The whole Whitechapel setting, the restrained acting, the engagement inspired in all the characters, was done very well indeed.

I will miss Ripper Street, though appalled by many horrific scenes the emotions that it engendered in the viewer made it compulsory watching for me.

A taster for those that missed it:

Ripper Street Season 5 - The Final Season | Amazon Prime Video

Just wondering

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:41 pm »

I just watched it on the BBC. What's your problem?
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:34 am »

Regardless of whether it was on a streaming service or broadcast TV it's day or so after broadcast.  Not everyone will have had the chance to watch it yet & you posted a bloody great spoiler in plain view!
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:58 am »

Regardless of whether it was on a streaming service or broadcast TV it's day or so after broadcast.

Then why mention it Mr. Grumpy? - do remember to get your facts right before you spout.

Not everyone will have had the chance to watch it yet & you posted a bloody great spoiler in plain view!

Ever tried keeping your eyes shut, blocking your ears or stopping your fingers from moving the mouse and clicking?
I know life is all very difficult...

Gawd Blimey! You do meet some.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:37 pm »

Looking at your forum ranking I can assume that you've been here a fair while.  Long enough to figure out how the sodding thing works! Or at least that you may have read the rest of this thread & noticed others have had the courtesy of putting plot points in a spoiler tag. (As is also done in other threads relating to TV shows, Dr Who & Murdoch Mysteries for example)

As for your first point, I was happily watching this series on the BBC blissfully unaware that there was no further series coming along. I was sure that there was a streamed series going out at the moment that broadcast TV would be getting at a later date.  It came as a bit of a shock to find that I was in error. Are you always 100% correct 100% of the time?  I wish I was that perfect.

Regardless of this fact, you posted a huge spoiler (unless "Decisively killing off all the main characters, those that made the show such a good one, means that it can never return" was written in jest)  less than 24 hours after broadcast, with no thought for anyone who might work Monday evenings or have a social life that doesn't revolve around the weekend, or any other of a multitude of reasons that they might not have been able to watch the episode when the BBC broadcast it. I didn't click the video & having read this entire thread without anyone previously posting any spoilers in it without hiding them, I foolishly assumed it was still safe to do so.  Silly me.

I agree completely with your last point.  Here's hoping I never do (one in particular).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:50:17 pm by Sludge Van Diesel » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2017, 06:01:55 pm »

** MOD HAT ON**

Right you two - enough!  This is a warning to behave according to the forum rules - and I don't care who started it!

Any further bickering will result in the Mod team taking action. You have both been here long enough to know how this works by now!

We will be watching!

[Server Prayer]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: