The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2019, 06:46:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 22722 times)
Pocko
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:30 pm »

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't see any previous threads (to my surprise!).

Did anyone else catch Ripper Street on BBC1 last night? It was the first of a crime/detective series set during the time of hysteria surrounding the Ripper murders. While not directly focusing on the Ripper investigation, it would seem that the circumstances created by them affect a large amount of the politics etc of the internal workings of the police.

Based on the first episode, it would appear that the BBC has invested heavily in quality costume and sets. I'm not a historian, but I felt pretty immersed in the story. The cast seemed pretty strong (or at least are capable enough to entertain for an hour).

The stories will revolve around an Inspector, who is assisted by his Sergeant. They both also refer to the expertise of an American surgeon.

Very little punk, but plenty of Victoriana to get giddy over.   

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and would love to know what others thought. Apologies to our overseas friends, I'm not certain of the level of exposure you get to the BBC.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »

Gaaah!, I knew there was something I'd forgotten last night. Oh well, iPlayer here I come.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »

It's well worth an hour of your time on iPlayer.

I really enjoyed it - nice take on the Ripper hysteria and an interesting exploration of Victorian mores, etc.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »

I very much enjoyed it. Good pacing and rounded characters. Also the plot involved the early development of moving pictures and telegraph machines. It looked like they were going for a more realistic and adult themed episode of 'Murdoch Mysteries'. I have no problem with that and will watch future episodes with interest.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »

All those Victorian sets, costumes, props, what a waste of public money for a single series!

To really get value for money they need to be re-used. A Lizard Woman from the dawn of time, her wife and her potato headed butler perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:10:28 pm by Mr Peter Harrow, Esq » Logged

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »

This starts on BBC America Jan 19, I'm now really looking forward to it. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:11:17 pm »

I realised I was missing it because we were otherwise occupied! IPlayer will get me up to speed once I get the computer bits back in their respective boxes (had a s*d of a fault on the old XP machine - which is the 'main' machine because nobody can be bothered to 'learn' 7!) The cause - a failed graphic card AND the XP update on Saturday - had me running in circles and at least the scare allows me to wheel in the W7 machine without challenge.

This series was a bit of a surprise - I certainly didn't see any advance notice and it does seem a big budget (for the cash strapped Beeb) which only graced the last couple of Radio Times. And, it is 8 programmes straight off, none of this split Dr Who series or 3 off Sherlocks.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Pocko
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 10:55:47 pm »

I'm glad the Americans get to see it too!

Angus A Fitziron, I was taken a bit by surprise too. There was very little fanfare, I just caught an interview with two of the leads on breakfast news. Yes it does seem to be pretty big budget, but I'd rather they produce a few good dramas and wildlife documentaries than flying halfwits round the world to film Total Wipeout!
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 11:06:36 pm »

yeah, saw it and found it enjoyable-gritty and dark and good costuming! very surprised when i realised the one actor was Jerome Flynn as he looks rather different since his Soldier Soldier days!
looking forward to what the next episode unfolds
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

All those Victorian sets, costumes, props, what a waste of public money for a single series!

To really get value for money they need to be re-used. A Lizard Woman from the dawn of time, her wife and her potato headed butler perhaps?

All they have to do is cut Matthew MacFadyen's legs off at the knee so he can be Strax's long-lost clone-brother.  Simple bit of tailoring after that.  Loved the picnic-rug check suiting and coating.  Good story and - yes, lizard-woman + mrs expected any moment now.

Must stop here, getting obsessed.
bassspine
Snr. Officer

inventor of Castrol-R aftershave

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »

We watched and were gripped by the story. An excellent piece of work, in my opinion.
The doomed cineaste clutching his burning device to his heart was a nice touch.

Bwahahaha! They called me mad! MAD! But with my cross-dimensional time-fez I'll show them!!!!! hehehehe!!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »

Was otherwise engaged when it was shown live, but have no watched it and can say I loved it. I can't wait for the next episode  Grin. This has really caught my interest in particular through it's delving into the seedy (and oft ignored) underbelly of Victorian London.

As a fan of Murdock Mysteries I do look forward to this being renewed (fingers crossed) and hope they introduce some more punky elements.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:39 pm »

Good one. and it's definitely on our "must watch" list for the rest of the series.
Nicely dark, and a spot-on opening scene with the "ripper tourists".   I was expecting it to be a single story arc across the whole series, so it was nice to see that it's individual stories.

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 11:09:55 pm »

Found it to be completely done by the numbers, barely had to watch to be one or two steps ahead all the way through.

Still, looked bloody good, and I will be tuning in for the rest of the series, which probably says more about me than anything!

Wink

EDIT: Found the characterisation  to be good; but wasn't remotely surprised to see the lead is a 'tec with ideas ahead of his time, and surmised that there was at least partly US backing by the appearance of the Yankee Doctor; didn't recognise Jerome Flynn at all!

Lovely clothes all the way through!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:14:42 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:55 am »

Agreed with Herr Döktor - was a pretty standard cop drama base with an unusually pleasant Victorian coating.

However much I enjoyed it, and especially the VERY well detailed props and dressings (love the use of genuine antique parts / items), there was only one thing that bugged me when I saw it:

The conical soda-acid fire extinguisher didn't exist until December 1902, made by in Berlin by Wilhelm Graaff - the famous "Minimax" extinguisher. Also that one above is a later model, circa 1930's...

(what?....I have one!)

Mind you I was a bit dubious about the handle on this:

Isn't that a bit of copper pipe that is spray painted "brass"?...  Grin  Lends to the steampunky feel I suppose.  Wink

**Edit second pic no longer displayed...?? **

SS
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:11:34 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:23 am »

Yeah but you know how it is with this stuff, spotting the mistakes is half the fun. I remember reading a historical bloopers type review of Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven". Apart from obvious things like belt loops and such, someone even spotted a breed of wild fowl in the background of one scene that wasn't introduced to the country until about two years later or something. You just can't get anything past some folks, but it's always entertaining (and educational) reading.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 06:24:58 am »

Yeah - I'm pretty good at spotting this stuff.  Kind of enjoy it... Cheesy

I forgive practical stuff like hidden incandescent lamps inside gas / oil lamps, because sometimes he real deal is not suitable for filming purposes. I could have picked fault with the lamp filament seen inside the projector (wrong type) or the fact it was as bright a  modern 500 watt halogen lamp....  Wink

I still laugh about an episode of BBC's Merlin a couple of years ago, when I spotted a four can pack of lager in the middle of a table in a banquet hall during a celebration. It was actually pretty blatant in the camera shot. Cheesy

SS
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:44 am »

I often notice sets and props myself and thought Oooh look, a couple of 15mm yorkshire elbows painted brass. Grin

I actually enjoyed it, spotted Jerome Flynn straight away but then couldnt get that bloody Unchained Melody out of my head.

~SeVeN~

Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 11:28:33 pm »

Good second ep, spoilt only by the use of a model of a 1920s-designed locomotive in the puzzlebox...  Roll Eyes

Mécanicien de Vapeur.
Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Keep out of direct sunlight. Contains scenes of nudity & mild peril. May cause drowsiness. Suitable for vegetarians. May contain nuts.
"Bother", said Pooh as he chambered another round...
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:13 am »

Good second ep, spoilt only by the use of a model of a 1920s-designed locomotive in the puzzlebox...  Roll Eyes

Aha! Perhaps that was intended by the inventor of the puzzlebox, it hid a design some thirty years ahead of its time!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:05:33 am by Mr Peter Harrow, Esq » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 08:46:49 am »

Good second ep, spoilt only by the use of a model of a 1920s-designed locomotive in the puzzlebox...  Roll Eyes

Aha! Perhaps that was intended by the inventor of the puzzlebox, it hid a resin some thirty years ahead of its time!

do do do do do do do do do

Time travel shenanigans!!!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 10:08:25 am »

Well, there was another bit of early 20th century technology employed in that device, one that was only heard though : the lighter flint! 

Unfortunately, mischmetal or "lighter flint" was not discovered until around 1900 by Baron von Welsbach (inventor of the gaslight-mantle). During the process to extract thorium from monazite sand for the mantle production, there was a lot of lanthanides (rare earths) left over, which had no commercial use. In an attempt to find applications to which the rare earths might be put, he discovered the mix of roughly 50% cerium and 25% lanthanum, with small amounts of neodymium and praseodymium, could produce white hot sparks if scraped against a rough surface (pyrophoricity). The later version, which we still use, is called Ferrocerium and is blended with iron and  magnesium oxides - also the invention of Carl Auer von Welsbach.

Also, I could not see any mechanism in the box that would enable the wick in the train chimney to be lit - I strongly suspect the sound heard was actually the train being ignited by one of the cast holding a modern disposable gas cigarette lighter...  Grin  Wink

SS
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »

I noticed that as well!

Although getting really nerdy ... to be fair there is an 1878 design that looks superficially similar, apart from the half cab.  Smiley
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »

Are we saying that the Anachronisms make it steampunk?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:00:40 pm »

Steampedants.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: