The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 31, 2020, 01:59:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 20294 times)
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner
United States United States

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 04:00:45 am »

Amir forgot he wasn't wearing his keffiyeh and pulled the hat down further over his face, which was a bit of a smooth mishap. He saw the flash on the other way and relaxed his pose, but kept his body tense. His head turned totally to Donna. "You sure you weren't seeing things, Donna?" He said this with a wink, knowing the same things Donna did, but having to pretend he didn't. It didn't feel right. Scars about his body told him so.

He heard a distinct yelling in a Japanese accent just inside. "Okay, so maybe you weren't. We gonna look at that, primo?"

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:16 am »

"You are dammed right." Sylvia looked rather taken aback by her cursing but got very angry when she saw Shiro threatening Willa.  "You want to go at the side while I get between him and the door?"  She did not want him escaping before she got to ask some questions. 

Much to their surprise Sylvia made the first move armed with an umbrella from the hall stand. "unhand my maid you bruit!"

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 04:21:25 am »

Amir had swiftness one expected from an Arabian thief, and was able to get to the other side of the inn before one could walk to the front door (though that might be a slight exaggeration). A bit more mindlessness on his part, and to cover that of Sylvia's. "Put any weapons you're carrying down and surrender, and maybe this won't get physical, do you hear me?" A bit of an ignorant threat, but it would've sounded better through Amir's native accent.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 09:36:44 am »

A throaty "Hmpf" was all the vocal response that Shiro offered. He drew the black-hilted katana (all black on black; even the copper menuki were weathered black) in a flourish that flashed all around, by all immediate appearances a simple fancy flourish, a veritable "Opening of the Fan. As it turned out, as evidenced by the umbrella's outermost half falling cleanly away, central stick, struts, and fabric all cut in the same dished angle, as well as several other brandished or held weapons falling apart in similar fashion, it was an intentional, though largely non-lethal strike. In the moment that his action stunned hs audience to immobility in sheer shock, Shiro was gone, the rattling of a nearby sash the only indication of the route of his sudden escape.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:18:47 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »

Donna blinked as Sylvia crumpled to the floor in shock.  "What the hell was that?" They both said at the same time. Then Donna looked down and got angry. "That bastard nicked my gun."  She turned to Amir.  "Do we follow him or do we report back to base?"
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »

He checked around to make sure Sylvia was still shocked about her poor umbrella. "We should make a quick check for signs, tracks, anythin' we can use to find 'im. He'd likely ha' made some prints on this dirty station. If he runs as softly as he prowls, we get back to base," he said in a lowered voice, so as the man with the coat of arms wouldn't hear if he was still there. "We could check on our subject, aye?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »

"Yes and we should report back if we find anything.  That way we know what kind of kettle of fish we are getting in to." Donna turned to Sylvia.  "Stay with Willa. She has a good head on her shoulders."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:00:56 pm by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 06:42:27 pm »

"She's prob'ly too dazed to hear you, or do anythin' else. I'll look outside in the sun, 'n' you can keep ya pretty skin safe inside, 'lright?" It wasn't much of a suggestion, because he had already started searching about the area out of doors for any prints, out of place plating, stirred dirt... He didn't find much but his own tracks from his dash to the back. He did find a light scratch on the floor plating, likely from the tip of his blade.

"Not sure, but this might be summin'..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 07:17:41 pm »

Donna was putting things together in her mind.  Looking at the layout of the floor she made a rough time line of what happened. She started to pace this made no sense.  "He came here for something that wasn't killing us all. But what would be worth braking in? The client there is no other possible reason. Well damn." Unfortunately lt looked like she was right and they had gotten themselves in to anther sticky situation.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2012, 01:19:29 am »

He cycled the plane round the northern point of the small island, so far things had be silent on the radio despite him reporting in at regular intervals, he made a quick check of the map he had and angled the plane to the south west where a contained lagoon was supposed to be. He dropped the plane to just under 1500 feet and primed the camera. As he approached the lagoon his eyes narrowed something grey sat in a clearing of trees and he jerked at the last second as flak fire exploded around him he dropped his altitude another 500 feet and pushed the throttle twisting through the air as flak fire chased him, a second battery opened fire and he pulled the hawk into a upwards climb, metal screams as a fragment of flak tore into the side of his plane.

He turned the plane northwards and forced the throttle to full pushing the poweplant to breaking point.

"Hawk to base hawk to base somebody answer the bloody horn, I think I may have something am taking fire from artillery batteries that shouldn't be here."

More flak tore into the right wing and he twisted away going into a barrel roll as he dropped his altitude cutting along the top if e tree line, the muscles in his arms burned from the effort as he cut beyond the range of the flak guns, his eyes went to the fuel gauge and he cursed in a multitude of languages for a good few minutes.

"Mayday mayday, this is hawk I'm loosing fuel and flight contro, going to be forced to land, repeat mayday mayday."

He set the last transmission to repeat and turned the plane to the east looking for a safe place to land.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2012, 01:56:08 am »

Shiro ghosted back to his master's suite of rooms, ans made his report. "The message has been delivered, lord."

"Good. Now we shall see if this fellow has any sense of self-preservation, or is determined to be obstinate," the Ambassador replied.

Across the station, Al was fiddling with his radio, trying to get and extra few kilohertz out of it to try and answer the Hawk. All he had gotten was a general idea of the mission's whereabouts. The Marshalls. "Well, looks like I called it," he said to himself, thinking out loud. "I wonder which islet it is..." He radioed the Squadron's headquarters and reported what he had heard and what he'd surmised. "If its OK by you all, he said, I could take a jaunt down that way and check out a few of the islands I know of. Sounds like something the japs'd try. I wonder if the diplomatic aircraft incident was really just a coincidence..."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:49:39 am by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2012, 02:44:01 am »

Amir had jogged back after taking a mental note of where the scratch was. "Find anythin', Donna? I saw a scratch on the platin', but not much else, 'sides my own prints." He looked about for anything obvious he may have overlooked. He noted that Sylvia was being helped up by the maid. "Ma'am, are you okay?" he asked, returning to the Brazillian accent. He jogged to her side and inspected her features for any signs of traumatic stress. "Well, it was just an umbrella."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2012, 04:32:17 am »

"He could of killed me." Sylvia said bewildered.

"Yes we are rather lucky he didn't.  There must be something he had to do that he valued more than having no witnesses."  Donna realised the connection just as Al did.  "Wait this morning we got a call to help a downed Japanese plane and now we have what sure as hell looked like a ninja to me.  I think we best go talk to Al and see of we can figure anything out."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 04:50:26 am »

"I suppose you're going to leave me here, cuz?" Amir shook his head, having resumed the facade of Paulo. "Don't worry, I'll keep the miss safe. I ranked about third when it came to strength amongst us cousins, right?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 05:01:29 am »

"Yes but I am pretty sure Renaldo cheated last time.  Don't worry I will come back as soon as I can with guns and Al if he isn't doing another run." She turned to Sylvia. "Stay away from windows and be smart and Paulo should be able to keep you safe."  She gave them a salute and ran back to base as fast as her feet could take her.  Panting she came in to the radio room happy to have found Al.  "You are never going to believe what just happened."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2012, 05:30:33 am »

With a salute, a smirk, and a wink, Amir made sure Sylvia and the maid were safe inside. He made sure nobody was watching and began whispering to Sylvia. "If you don't mind, I'd like for you to keep this conversation a secret so we can find your umbrella murderer. So, miss, what can you tell me about the man with the Coat of Arms?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2012, 06:01:32 am »

Sylvia looked very agitated and blurted out the first things that came to her mind. "He is shorter than you but not by much with pretty golden yellow hair and a very fine suit.  Thought it was a little odd to be wearing wool in this heat tho.  He two large rings with carved stones and they all looked real but other than that he was plain.  He spoke wonderful English with only the faintest touch of an accent and had the most delightful smile.  We put him in our grandest room with a little balcony looking out at the sea but he didn't come down for breakfast this morning."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2012, 06:57:06 am »

He kept his mind on the conversation. Every fact was important. He wouldn't investigate the room yet, as he was there to spy, not intrude. "If you have anything further you think might be important, let me know. You know where he hangs out during the day? When's he at the tavern? I'll give you time to think, but let me know as it comes to you, alright, ma'am?" He dipped the brim of his hat and took a leisure lean on the counter. "I got all day. Station captain hasn't approved me yet." That was a thought he pulled out of his ass.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2012, 08:33:12 am »

Sylvia was starting to enjoy this.  It was like those scandalous spy novels she would never admit to reading.  "He said he wanted to find a beer hall that reminded him of home and a fish market of all things."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

"Tough luck finding a German bar on a western station, then. A fish market, perhaps, though I ain't seen one since I got here." He looked to the maid. "Do you have any information, miss? Keep quiet about it, though." He gave her a handsome look and fluttered his eyes slightly.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2012, 05:16:10 pm »

He'd touched down more or less in tact save for some extra damage to his spare fuel tanks his plane would need some minor repairs to fly again, but that would have to wait, he scrambled from the cockpit moving to the nearby undergrowth he used his Bowie to hack chunks of foliage away and threw them over The Hawk masking it from arieal observation, he could hear small biplanes in the air already probably looking for him.

He hunkered down into the undergrowth watching as a trio of light recon planes flew over, they were a mottled grey colour that he didn't recognise as belonging to any military unit, they bore a coat of arms but at the distance he couldn't make any details out, he checked his belongings on his person and went back to the plane pulling out the MP18 from behind the pilots chair, checking the load he pulled the radio horn out and sitting in the wing spoke quietly.

"Home base are you receiving this is Hawk, I've come down on the eastern side of Namu Atoll, be warned island contains flak batteries to the north and west of the island some light planes also sighted, will scout on foot and return to Hawk at night fall."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2012, 06:15:16 pm »

Al managed to get most of Eric's transmission, this time. Something about the name of the Island bothered him, but he answered the transmission, whether Eric would be there to hear it or not. "Roger, Hawk, this Is Blueduck. Transmission received. Be careful." He released the transceiver mic.

"Namu...Namu..." he muttered to himself as he clambered back to the Navi/Radioman's berth. He could pilot the ship from this cockpit as well; the extra set of controls were standard on the J2F's. He also kept a full-ish library of charts and other pathfinding materials there. "Namu," he repeated, as he leafed through a bound edition of the most recent Asian Hemisphere aviation charts that were available; he'd picked them up in a little shop in Jakarta about six months before.

"Aha." he turned the page over fully, showing a south polar stereographic projection map of the atoll in question. not much in the way of minute detail; it was not a well-visited spot. "Spot" was actually very apropos for the atoll; it was little more than a spot on the map. suddenly, the thing that had nagged at him about it came back and bit him on the metaphorical posterior. "I'll be damned, I didn't think so..."

He'd been there a few years in the past, on a long-distance rescue of a cantaloupe magnate who'd tried to go native, but only succeeded in going nutzoid. the same problems with landing there before were what had bothered him; the Island couldn't  support a full-sized military airstrip. Oh, it was plenty long in several directions, but the lagoon and the actual size ofr even the biggesyt islets would have kept getting in the way, usually about halfway along a bomber-sufficient runway. He'd been forced to land as a seaplane, which was dicey in the lagoon because of the several half-sunken wrecks of fishing boats left over after a typhoon about a decade before then. Either somebody had managed to smash an airstrip through the obstacles, they were using seaplanes, or whoever was there with the flak guns had a flattop or something to launch the biplanes from and receive them back again.

"Holy Hell, Cap'n, what've we got ourselves into this time..."
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:52:15 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »

"He was skittish as a cat once I took his bags to his room and closed the curtains even tho it was a lovely warm night. I figured it was just a business deal gone wrong because he was real fussy about his briefcase and he was out till all hours last night and didn't come back drunk from what I can tell."  Willa was getting in to playing detective too tho is wasn't very hard with Amir looking at her like that.

Donna had caught her breath and found Al.  "Your telling me.  Amir and I were just attacked by a god damn ninja!  You wouldn't happen to know anything about that do you?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »

Al looked at Donna blankly for a minute, putting things together in his head. Them an expression first of surprise an dthen thoughtfulness chased each other across his face, and teh gears started turning.

"Ninja, you  say?" he said slowly, turning his head slightkly and gazing out through the window of the ready room. "Ninja type, carries a sword, I'll bet... I'd say it'd have to be the skinny one..." He snapped his head back around to look Donna seriously and perhaps a bit sharply in the eye. "This Ninja, was he a tallish fella, looked like a horsewhip with a personality to match? Not much for conversation? That'd be one o' the Jap Ambassador's assistants, the bunch I picked up this mornin'."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:41:22 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »

A bit vexing; a German that doesn't drink unless he's in somewhere German. The national beverage of Germany is beer, he should be drunk rather often. "Seems he enjoys his privacy. Shame we can't let him have this. I'll have to consult with Donna before we interrogate him. Until then, could one of you show me the rooms? I need to know who's in which room, and where the rooms are." He looked to the maid again. "Would you please show me around?"

Not a day undercover and he's already prowling.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: