The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2020, 02:05:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 20042 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:15 pm »

Donna rested her head aganst Amir's sholder and smiled sleeply up at him.  "My bed please. Gotta feed hen but you can stay. I have pillows."  Her bed was coved in them and blankets it was almost more like a nest.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #301 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:28 am »

Amir smirked at her bed. It was actually kind of cute. "Hen has a hen in the playpen, Ben," he mused to himself, chuckling and removing his jacket, undoing his tie, and leaving his hat on his shoes at the door. He could be enjoying a smoke in his own room, but he was already tired, a touch of the pipe would probably drive him to sleep. "I'll go ahead 'n' make myself at home, 'en. You take care 'a your li'l Henny and I'll take care 'a my back. Spine's feelin' a bit wibbly now, I'm gonna lie mehself down."

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2013, 01:57:37 am »

Donna's room was messy.  One corner was full of dresses and danceing shoues another was taken up by Hen's pen and a few fileing cabenets and the bed took up most of the rest.  She had never realy entertained anyone in there since she moved in and if she wasn't so tired Donna would have done a bit of frantic cleaning.  Insted she fed and watered Hen and slipped in to a pair of slik pjs with little bears printed all over them and let her hair down so it wouldn't get all kinked up from sleep.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:17 pm »

Meri started awake. What was it? broad daylight, if nothing else. She groaned,. it was nice and shady under the sampan's canopy, but daywalker or no, she still had excellent night vision, and to be frank the shade was more of a glare than a shadow to her eyes. Still, she figured it was better than full sunlight. But what had wakened her? She listened to the gentle rhythmic slap of lagoon wavelets against the sampan's hull; no it wasn't that. She extended her senses, both native and preternatural, and found no one and nothing stirring but insects, crabs and birds in and under the sparse palms and breadfruit trees, and nothing but...ah. The distant, throaty roar of a single-engined aeroplane, far off, probably just over the northern horizon, buzzed away in the far distance. no mortal ears could have heard it, but her ears did. It seemed roughly the same direction as the junk where she'd slain and fed the night before. A sharp staccato report; "so, one did rise, after all," she muttered. No matter, the sun would likely kill it before long. After a short time, the roar came again and faded off into the northern distance. Silence reigned once again, and her stomach rumbled. Her canines grew into points, not yet fangs, but not normal canine teeth either. 

A shadow fell over the sampan, and she looked out from behind the blanket curtain; a cloud sat overhead, blocking the sun. It was a sizable cloud, well on its way to becoming a squall, she decided. she used it's shade to duck out from the canopy and check on the tiny engine. Barely more than lawnmower-sized, a two-cylinder, it was tucked under the bit of decking at the stern, covered by a set of boards nailed side by side and hinged from underneath. She lifted the makeshift hatch, and checked the fuel tank; about half, she decided. She went back under the canopy and picked up the fuel can, shook it, and decided it was full. Meri laughed, then; A vampire of her age and power, and a ninja, lately, to boot, and here she was  checking how much diesel the boat had and whether the engine was a one- or two-lunger. She could just fly up, 'way high up, and half-glide, half-fly to the nearest inhabited land and start feeding, especially after dark. She hated the idea of flying long distances in daylight, however. A drone overhead sounded at just that moment. she looked up, seeing a largish flying boat making its way overhead, and had an idea. It would be difficult to catch , but if she did, she could find a strut to cling to out of sight and get a free ride to someplace. Leave the sampan behind, she thought, you've got your bag of loam, and you can always come back for it, it's not like anybody's been here in ages, nor will be again for ages more.

A snap! and a blur of something appearing from someplace that was not really a place and suddenly a huge pair of wings, more like a dragon's than a bat's, sprang from her back; muscles to drive them also appeared, somehow enhancing rather than marring her beauty, and she leaped into the air, the wings thrusting down, and she was off, gliding low at first, but then wingbeating up, up, picking up speed and gaining altitude by the moment. It took her until she was above the transport top realize it was banking around back toward what looked like ...what was the name of the place with the gigantic, rectangular lagoon... Namu? Namu Atoll, that was it...

Al and Sabre finally twigged to the fact thatthe radio chatter over the cabin's speaker was directed at them; the familiar, irritated voice of Bob in the PaRefSta Tower demanded their immediate attention and response; too, the air outside was suddenly full of the sounds of other aircraft, some sounding as though they were coming entirely too close before sheering off,  their engines veritable sirens of tortured machinery. "Aw, Holy CRAP, we're home already!" he yelled, hurriedly pulling his flight paraphernalia back on, and making sure that his other... paraphernalia... were tucked away safely, Sabre doing the same. They collided, briefly, front to front, and both paused to enjoy the fact. They then enjoyed it a bit more; they decided, then, that a bit more wouldn't hur-!

"AL! WHATINNA BLAZES ARE YOU DOIN' UP THERE!?"

Al Finally gained the rear cockpit, Sabre scrambling up after him, both out of breath and looking like they'd just gotten out of bed (which they had), and Al grabbed and thumbed the transceiver mic. "Sorry Bob, we were doin' a little work in the passenger cabin, lost track of the time...." The Steel Birds hangar passed by about eight hundred feet below; apparently the Gyropilot had let the altitude slip a bit...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:09 am »

Amir couldn't look at Donna with the same intent as he once did. She seemed so cute in her pajamas. And her messy room. And her chicken. Never had he thought of her chicken as cute before, but he was starting to get the idea. He smiled weakly and lied back on the bed to ease his back. He started undoing his shirt and loosening the waste of his pants to feel comfortable, then crawled deeper into the depths of the bed. His chest would be bare were it not for the bandage upon him. It was almost drenched with sweat, so he'd need to change it soon. For tonight, he would accompany Donna to bed. "How tired are ya?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:11 am »

"A little." Donna brushed the last bit of her hair and let out a yawn. "Well perhaps a lot." She stretched and winced.  "Oof I messed up something back there I think."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2013, 05:34:53 am »

"Hope it doesn't hurt too much. Hate for such a fun night to end so terribly." His smile turned into a smirk as he brought himself up and looked at Donna. "Tonight could end grandly."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2013, 06:21:04 am »

Donna turned several shades of red if she had more rest she would have been articulate but instead she stammered. "I um I don't know...I mean I have never.  I was waiting for Lou but..." She covered her face with a pillow. God she had her foot pretty far in her mouth and now wanted to shrink down to ant size or turn invisible to escape her embarrassment.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2013, 11:51:28 pm »

Amir shrugged and got himself comfortable. "Fine, then. I suppose, if ya don't want to. 'Sides, been gettin' anxious about hurtin' our friendship, y'know? You're a fabulous friend, but you're so damn beautiful, the thought keeps crossin' my mind." He gestured his finger twiddling about his ear. "I don't want you to hate me for only lovin' you for the night." The way his speaking slowed down was intended to seem sincere. It was, but he was trying to sell it, if he was being honest with himself. "So, if ya don't want to, we won't. Just lay here 'n' sleep. Or I could go back to my own room, if you'd rather."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:56 am »

Donna looked away marshalling her thoughts.  She was a grown woman, she could deal with this without becoming a school girl.  She squared her shoulders and smiled. "Lets sleep on it for now.  We have plenty of time to see if we do as well off the dance floor as we do on it."  There was still bush on her cheeks as she snuggled under the covers and settled down.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #310 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:51 am »

"G'night, 'en," Amir said, relaxing on Donna's bed and closing his eyes. He was tired, yes, but only physically. He was mentally wide awake. Thoughts ran through his head, and he let hem, but they eventually settled down.

"Eyes on the skies."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:53 am »

Donna fell fast and hard to sleep.  It had been a very long day and she had not slept well the night before.  Donna  was faintly aware of Amir's warmth and as she started to dream she curled towards it like a flower to the sun.  She wrapped her arms around him and dreamed happily of the wedding day that had finally come.  She was dancing in Lou's arms again and all was right with the world.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:46 pm »

Al managed to get Bob calmed down enough to give him clearance to land, and cranked out the landing gear from its wells on eithe rside of teh main float. They set down lightly as usual, and taxied to a stop just in front of teh Steel Birds hangar. Al clambered back down into the passenger compartment and brought back up the swords, rifle and the name placard. One saber and three katanas, it was now apparent, though one appeared to be a Tachi, one of the big old cavalry blades favored by the pre-shogunate warlords; it was easily a foot longer than the katanas, which appeared to be of rather recent make; the quality was noticeably less than that of the tachi, though all were remarkably-well-made blades. The rifle was of the ubiqitous type issued to naval forces; bolt action, open sights, relatively small bore, bayonet lug on the side. He had been unable to find the bayonet for it. He deposited the spoils on the allpurpose table in the Ready Room, and went to the control room to telephone security about the spoils and report the nuber on teh placard. He went back to the Personnel Quarters, and found Sabre using his sink and mirror to freshen up. "OHMIGOSH, sorry, l--..." He paused, dramatically, then spoke. "Who the hell are you, anyway?" he said, teasingly, a line from La Belle Nicollette, a popular movie of a few years before.

Sabre huffed a laugh, stuck out her tongue and threw one of his slippers at him like the female lead of the movie, and toed the door closed, isolating them from the rest of the building. "Keep your voice down, Al, Donna and Cap'n St. Vitus* are probably still asleep."
----------------------
Meri Hung on just long enough to get over teh northern end of the coral island ring around teh lagoon, aqnd then let go, reopening her wings and swooping down in an insanely-fast arc to the strand below, pulling up and stalling at tjust the right moment and altitude to alight gracefully on the sand. she folded the dragon's wings again, but did not reabsorb them; she was not certain that she was safely alone here.

She inhaled. "Huggh!" she huffed in distaste. Aviation metal and motor oil, a little bit of aviation fuel, and the faint stink of human sweat and anxiety. These aromas, instead of the expected tropical scents of surf, flowers and palms, wafted through the air. Human smells... who is it? she wondered, and reached up and gripped the hilt of her katana apprehensively. Then she caught it, the other smell. smoke. This was not a planned landing, but a forced one. It did not smell like one of the Japanese aircraft, however. Oh, they smelled the same as other petrol-powered craft, but their pilots smelled differently from westerners; the diet, and thus the pomade, were different. This fellow- he smelt like a male - smelled... she supposed he smelt English...

"Hello?" she called into the underbrush. "I am a friend, I think. Are you there?"

No answer. She got no sense of a presence in the bushes. Where had he gone? she began searching the bushes, and eventually found the aeroplane. A fast, powerful monoplane type, not a floatplane, though there were brackest of a sort that seemed to be adaptable for such a purpose; she in her limited knowledge could not imagine a plane this size carrying a bomb big enough to need such huge mounts, so she simply figured they must be for floats.

A commotion at the far end of the atoll caught her attention, and her preternaturally-sharp ears caught the sound of raucous, peremptory commands in Japanese. Her former masters! She cursed and crept to the edge of the mangroves to take a look...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:16 am »

A
l looked at his watch; 5:00 p.m.. "Wake up, already, you two! " He bellowed downthe hall. "I got salvage youse might want to look at!"
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #314 on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:04 am »

Amir found himself awakened by the voice of a yelling man. Ouch. His ears. "Ahduno wha' ya hehrd buddahswear she sedshewuzeightein," he said groggily. Oh, piss, what did he just say?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #315 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:12 am »

Donna tried to snuggle in to her pillow to get away from the sound only to find it wiggled. Sleepy she looked around to figure out what was going on and found herself looking in to Amir's eyes. "Good morning." Donna said shyly untangling herself of from him.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #316 on: March 08, 2013, 04:57:04 am »

Whatinna hell?! Al thought, upon hearing what sounded appallingly like Amir pleading that his bedmnate was not underaged. He strode down the hall and thrust open the door to the men's section and bellowed again, "Amir, I better've misheard! you know what chief Wilkins said he'd do to your posterior if you grabbed another --!" Wait a second, that didnt come from Amir's quarters, it was... Realization dawned on him and he turned beet red and stammered while Sabre looked on with a facial expression that warred between smug amusement at the apparently obvious events of the day, and ouright hilarity at his (Al's) predicament.

"When the two of you are ...composed..." Sabre said as loudly as she did sardonically, outside of Donna's door, "You might want to come and have a gander at what we've brought back." she gripped Al's elbow and guided him back the way they had come. "Come along, drake," she said, "it's not as though we have any room to criticize, even if it was at 5,000 feet..."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #317 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »

He didn't drink much. He had one glass. He's sure he did. He's also sure he didn't even finish it. Why did he feel like he had a hangover? There was a woman with him in bed, but it wasn't his bed. He took note about last night.

Sex withdrawal.

"G'mornin', Donna," he said exasperatedly, still holding his aching head. "You slept well, I bet?" He turned over to look at her and smiled. He then sat up and looked at the door and would've thrown a shoe were one was near enough. "Wha's'at about salvage o' summin'li'at?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »

Donna yawned and stretched shaking out her hair.  "That was nice, well except for the yelling." She leaned forward and gave him a peck on the cheek.  "I think Al found something when he went out on call."  Damn it was hard to think when you first woke up.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #319 on: March 09, 2013, 07:48:52 am »

Words on the evening breeze. Words that would have made sense to someone like the blonde-haired beauty and her khukri-toting male friend only after a few moments of concentrated thought, instantly popped into intelligibility in Meri's ears.

"Yeah, the officer says there's a secret machine here someplace, but can anybody find it? It's a fool's errand, I tell you, the High Command's got it in for the Old Man." The voice, a honey-laced warble of a young male, a Japanese barely old enough to join the military, said with tones of bravado and the boundless, baseless confidence of the untried warrior.

"I'll thank you to keep your mouth shut and your mind on the mission, private," a curt and rather rough voice that cut the ears like sandpaper grated in reply.

"Yeah, OK, Sarge, but a guy can still think if he wants to."

The aroma of anger, outrage, and a low, sadistically violent mien warred with the evening scents and the stink of the aviation fuel, but then Meri caught the scent of curiosity, and silently went to a crouch, drawing her sword silently as she waited for sandpaper-mouth to make a move in the wrong direction.

"Hey, you smell 'at?" The sandpapery voice of the sergeant rasped and drew closer as it did so, the burly, bulky form and three others becoming visible on the lagoon side of the strand through the screening salt grass and scrub bushes.

"Yeah, smells like a petrol-covered whore," Honey-Boy said with the voice of a boy who hadn't had a woman yet, but wanted the world to think he had, the kind of pervert  that made Meri's teeth sharpen and her mouth water. Damn that perfume, she thought furiously, even as she relished the thought of dining on fresh infantrymen...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:51:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #320 on: March 09, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

A short chuckle escaped his lips and he cracked his neck side to side. "Doesn't tell me much, but I guess I just have to see for myself. I'd like to change, first, though." Something inside Amir craved a Coca-Cola. He wasn't sure why, but he could go for him. His mouth was a bit dry from sleep, so maybe that was it. Amir shuffled out of the bed and gathered the clothes he'd shed and waited at the door to see if Donna had anything to say, or wanted to follow.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #321 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »

Donna quickly slipped in to a pair of pants and a simple shirt.  She did not want Al to see her in her in her cutesy pjs. She picked up her hair brush and a tin of chicken feed.  "Let me feed Hen and I will be right with you."  Hen clucked happily as she pecked at the corn.  "i hope there is some coffee because I am going to need it." 
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #322 on: March 09, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »

Amir nodded and made his way to his room to change.

He figured he'd wear something nice today. It was a debate between violet and white. After some deliberation, he went with white. A nice contrast to his usual black. It only took him a few moments to slip into his digs, so he didn't take any longer than five minutes.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #323 on: March 09, 2013, 08:36:28 pm »

Donna walked out to Al yawning and brushing her hair.  "What did you find?"  Her train of thought was violently derailed when she spotted the full coffee pot.  She poured herself a mug full and added shugar until she was fairly sure it would jolt the heck out of her.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2013, 10:43:06 pm »

Not far behind, Amir thought about having a smoke this morning, but decided against it, going for coffee instead. He had just got back from a night of drinking and dancing, he'd be knocked out. A cube of sugar was all he needed, with some cream for flavor. He didn't have anything to say or ask that hadn't already been said or asked, so he kept shut for the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: