The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2020, 09:22:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 20254 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2013, 01:55:31 am »

"Duck to dawg, that's an affirmnative. might be good to leash the lil dawgs that stayed on teh ground, too. I've got three fiery li'l biscuits ready if you need 'em..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:21 am »

"Going on a run now watch my back.  I can't do much while I am spinning around like a marry go round."  She opened fire using a simple harnes that allowed her to fire both guns at once.  "Allright Hen hit 9."  The chicken clucked and pecked at her corn. Two of the little ships took offence at her fireing at the big ship and started after her.  "Hen!" Donna shouted as the little ships got closer and closer.  Hen knew she was in trouble and pecked the button.  "Dog to duck. I am laying eggs and have some little basterds on my tail."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:11 am »

"On my way, Dawg." Al peeled off out of his circling pattern and stooped on the pair that were closing on Donna's ship. He cursed when he realized that they were too far apart to be taken both in the same attack "Dawg, one's gonna get spanked,  but t'other's gonna get under the gate. watch yer six and stay alive, hear? I'll be there soon's I can."

"Ladyduck to her drake, that's OK. I'll get the stray cur," Sabre's voice came over the radio just then, as three warhawks swooped low over teh administration complex and up to intercept the pursuing Claude., one peeling off to harry the japanese troops on the ground a little more. As Al gunned teh first bogie to the edge of teh main float, Sabre blew the second one out of the air.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:27 am »

"Thanks."  She was happy to see the bombs fall mostly on target. "Looks like I got one of wings so the big bird is down. Some more little ones coming up tho.  Let me lure them in then we can get them in one swoop."  Donna watched five more little ones coming for the big open target. A little bit more and she would open fire.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2013, 05:51:09 am »

Amir woke up in a start. The familiar sound of the Dog and Duck. These damn stitches. A little blood loss never kept him from a fight before. He'd been in worse tussles when he was with the bandit gang. And he'd been in tussles with worse injuries. He was used to hurt. Cuts. Bruises. Trauma. Yeah, he knew not to stress the trauma too much, but he couldn't resist a fight. "Pearl to Duck, I am taking off," he said quietly to himself. He didn't have a radio, that's just something he wanted to say as he made his segue out of the clinic. He wrapped his uncovered wounds in gauze, which made his chest feel constricted, but he'd likely not be facing a zeppelin anyway. His hair was still died blonde. He needed to get that out if he was going to fly. Luckily, they had washed the grease from his skin before they dressed the wounds.

"I'm leaving," he announced to the nurse, cracking his neck to both sides and loosening his shoulders. "Don't try 'a stop me, I don't like to hurt innocents. 'specially not women." A doctor did attempt to quiet him down, but Amir simply gave him a stalwart gaze and cracked his knuckles, and the doctor stepped aside.

He went at a light jog to get to the Birds' Quarters so he could dress up and quickly get that dye out of his hair. He focused on his hair first, washing out the dye until it went back to its natural chestnut brown, and then strapped on his pilot's gear - his keffiyeh, goggles, aba, shirt, and slops - and began to head to the hangar to get in the air. He felt a bit light-headed, but not as bad as when he first lost consciousness. He could hold himself together in the man turret, or so he hoped.

As he got into the cockpit, he felt his chest pulsing. The constriction from the gauze was hard to deal with. He turned on the radio and called into the Blue Duck. "Pearl... Pearl to Duck... I'm awake, an' I'm headed for the skies," he said, a bit more than winded.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »

Wait a minute, Al thought absently for a moment. two, then two more, now three, now four more... There were only four unfriendlies in that flight, plus the transport; where'd these other guys come from? He pinched the altitude/radio mask's button and  replied, "Duck to Pearl, welcome to the party, seems we have some late gatecrashers, over." Al then pinched the button again and sent, "Tower, this is Blue Duck, can you see where these bastards are coming from? Anybody know about that?"

"Blue Duck this is Parefsta Tower, the late arrivals seem to have originated from West-Southwest, there is a ship's smoke plume in that direction, over -- AAGGH!"

The Tower officer screamed as a row of bullet holes appeared running up the side of the tower, bullets finally holing the tower's observation windows. The specially-treated and encased typhoon-resistant glass panes did not shatter and rain down, but they did crack crazily in several different directions as Bob the tower officer dove beneath the counter that ran around most of the inner perimeter of the Control/Spotting room at the tower's apex. Damn! Al cursed to himself, suddenly discerning the plume off on the horizon. So close, and yet just not quite close enough!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:49:43 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:44 pm »

"Welcome back Pearl.  Careful not to open your stitches."  Donna was scanning the horizon trying to find the source of the aircraft and her jaw dropped when she found it. "Duck, Pearl you aren't going to believe this but look west on the water.  There is this big old barge full of airplanes headed straight for us."  Donna was wide eyed how the hell were they supposed to fight that?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »

" 'Closer they get, the easier it is to get to 'em," Al answered. "About five more minutes and they'll be within dogfight range."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:28 am »

"Duck these can't have come just for us. They have enough to take over the dammed station." Donna slammed her chair over, correcting her course to a wider arch to cover more ground.  "Shit Duck what if that was their plan all along.  Overwhelm us and take what they want."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

He was a bit worried they'd tell him to back down. Good thing they didn't, because that would probably some form of insubordination. Or something like that. "Pearl to Tower, I'm commencin' taxiin', clear the runway." He sat the radio back down and caught his breath back. He hopped in the seat cushion to find that the back of the seat was still trying to flip over. That means the Auto's still working. He checked his inner fuselage to see his swords and gun. Good thing he never took the gun off the bird, otherwise, he'd be stuck with just the attached cannons.

Amir got the affirmative and drove the plane onto the runway, and taxi'd for a liftoff point. Working the joystick wasn't hurting his stitches at all. That would be convenient. Who knows what'll go down when he starts working the gun, though. "Pearl to Tower, I'm prepared for takeoff. Waitin' for the green light." He received an affirmative and started to gun the engine. As it began to gain speed, he pulled up on the joystick to get altitude, reaching the skies with little trouble.

"Pearl to Duck, I'm in the air. What's this I'm hearin' 'bout a barge? I'm not carryin' bombs right now. Am I goin' to need to make a landin' and fight my way through? I'm injured, but I've been through worse. I'll barely get scratched." He waited for a response and gunned the engine some more so he could catch up with the much faster Duck and Dog.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:30 am »

"Well, hell, Al answered, "there're those four torpedoes in the back of teh hangar on their carts, if you an' me land and re-equip, we can probably sink that thing if they let us get close enough, though the Duck's kinda hard to steer level with just one torpedo hangin'." He grimaced; he'd sunk another flattop down off of the Solomons with two torpedoes, and while it was relatively OK flying with one torpedo under each lower wing, with just one under one wing the balance issues tended to get pretty hairy.

"The Warhawks don't carry but one fish each, and they're not really designed for torpedo duty. Ladyduck, can you stay over the station and have your people take care of the strays?

"Affirmative, Drake darling, Sabre purred back over the radio. "But do be careful, won't you? I might not be able to nurse you back to health if you aren't." Was it just Al's imagination, or did a very cuddly sory sort of a note of worry enter her voice just then?
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2013, 03:43:30 am »

"Got enough time, Al? They might start to take off in flocks if we don't do summin'. I mean, maybe we could nab some shells, but I'm thinkin' we don't got the time. We might have to gun 'em down when we get back in the sky. That, said, these are Jap birds. Ain't they made 'a cardboard or sum'li'at? I could tear 'em to bits on my own." Heh. A funny thought jumped into his head. "They're like Kites or summin'. I think we could tear them from the skies, right?"

A few Birds waving the red sun on their fuselage set off from the ship. About four, Amir counted. "Aye, see, 'ere they come, watch 'is!"

The group of three was still a ways from the group of four, but that's be rectified soon, as the dogs came a barkin' with the engines roarin'. Amir tried his cannons first, thumbing the firing button liberally. From this range, the shots would lose much velocity, but he managed to pull off some good hits on the first of four. As a wing came off and the pilot bailed, Amir smirked while the formation broke off. "C'mon, from that range? That was too easy! These little cardboard birds aren't much of a challenge at all!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2013, 04:28:02 am »

Something was odd; Al could see that, indeed, the planes coming at them from the barge-like flattop were of the ridiculously-light, biplane and parasol type craft that the Japanese had started their carrier fleets with, but the claudes they had just shot down before this new lot, the ones that had come with the transport, were of the newer all-or-mostly-metal variety. He Jonied din the slugfest with Amir and almost joyously smashed the little wire-and-bamboo biplane right and left, but kept a weather eye out for the stronger fighters.

"There's somethin' wrong, here," he said over the air after a while, and he mentioned the metallic construction of the claudes and the transport.  "Most of what they're throwin' at us right now are the old stuff, what's been around since th' late nineteen-twenties. Not much of these two-wingers and overheader things are newer than that. My worry is, what're they distraction' us from, with these leftovers from the trash heap?"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:02:33 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:13 am »

"Dog to Duck can we get some of the flyboys from the station to run them off?  I think Eric might be in a mess of trouble if they tracked him back to here.  We could do a run on the barge and then get moving in the direction this thing came from." She said firing on another kite that got too close for comfort.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2013, 05:08:30 am »

"If 'at's the case, maybe they want us to bomb the carrier? I know it sounds far-fetched, but I'm gettin' suspicious. I might have to touch my feet to the ground anyway, see wha's up." He was a bit eager. He wanted some sort of field test. He wanted to assure himself he could've slaughtered that fop if he had his swords. And he had them. These soldiers are probably as skilled in melee as the assassin, and probably also keep blades. Amir wanted to see it for himself, without restrictions. A sort of bloodlust stirred in his ruptured veins.

"I'm goin' 'a see wha's hidden in the hull of that blasted thing. If I get too hurt, I'll retreat. Sound good, mates?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2013, 05:34:57 am »

"Dog to Pearl. Goodness you love jumping from frying pan to fire don't you? At least let us provide cover fire. Miss Willa will have my hide if her hero dies stupidly. You know she is baking you a pie right?" Donna laughed that girl had it bad.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2013, 06:54:51 am »

"Just where are you going to land?" Al demanded. It sounded like a tom-fool errand to him. "I hope you don't think you kin just park the Pearl up here; though I can't speak for Dawg, I personally can only fly one plane at a time, and Sabre's leading the warhawks."

"If you park it on the flattop, ten to one they can push your plane clean over the side while you're playin' 'El Arrans' below decks." Al gave up. "Aww, hell like Dawg says, let us do coevrfire, maybe I can drop a banger down the funnel," he said, referring to the small bombs that were currently mounted in racks of five under each of the Duck's lower wings.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:41 am »

Amir looked towards his flight mate and gave a likely unseen salute before diving into the fuselage, causing a steel automaton to pop from behind the wheel and look stupid for a moment, before looking straight ahead and straightening the Pearl. From inside the fuselage, Amir called in to the Blue Duck. "Meet Auto, an artificial mate made from a really nice guy. Friend o' mine, real smart lad, hooked him up for me. Met the inventor in aviation school, and turned out he was a tech head. Made this thing with radar and some sort of robot brain or summin', made it able to fly the plane. Damn thing ain't capable of combat, but it can move the Pearl out of fire while I take care of folk on the ground."

It was a really, really preposterous answer to things. Honestly, the robot pilot had a very comical look, and didn't seem very well put together. It looked like a hunk, even Amir thought so. "So I'll take my revolver and my swords, shoot a harpoon onto the bridge, and climb down to fight like a man." Still, the heap didn't look threatening of any sort, and it wasn't. But it was a solution. "Once I clear the place out, or figure out what's goin' on, I can send a telegram from the carrier to Auro, 'n' he'll receive it and come 'a pick me up. Course, he'll have to land so he can do that, so I'll have to take out any AA on ship."

He came back up from the fuselage behind the rear harpoon and snapped his fingers at a rhythm, which Auto read as Morse Code, and made way to fly closer to the carrier. "I'll call in on the frequency if I find the radio station. I'll confirm to ya when the o'jective's done 'fore I leave the carrier."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2013, 03:31:58 am »

"You are crazy Pearl but I will do a quick sweep and try and take out a few of the ships still on board.  People you can take, big old guns not so much. Duck you wanna follow behind and take down the hornets I stir up?"  Donna straightened out the Dog for one clean run at the barge.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2013, 05:54:41 am »

Through the radio came foreign words. Amir sounded quite different when he spoke Arabic. "Ela alnsr!" he shouted, throwing a fist into the air and aiming the harpoon at the carrier.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2013, 06:21:15 am »

"Roger that," Al said, all the while fighting the urge to roll his eyes. Still, half of him wished Sabre were in the rear cockpit to take the controls while he dove down and joined in. He hadn't had a good boarding action with the khukri in a while. Good thing I'm not insane like Amir, he said, as he aileron-rolled partway to port, slid the canopy open a tad, pulled the pin, and pushed a finned grenade through the gap. As luck would have it, it went right down not the main funnel (which in typical Japanese style bent downwards toward the waterline below), but down an incinerator vent; the explosion that followed apparently blew out the incinerator's furnace, along with whatever accelerant was used to keep the fire lit, since the fireball that followed the initial puff of smoke and shrapnel far exceeded reasonable expectations for an expectorated garbage fire. several othe rexplosions followed as other sources of explosive materials went up as well.

"Ooops.." Al muttered over the radio. "I hope Amir didnt get caught in that..." He kicked rudder and cut across the deck to follow Donna in blasting a flak array, and shot a biplane fighter to pieces just as the catapult began to propel it forward. the kite-like biplane's engine flamed, and the remains became a problem that would have to be cleared before any more aircraft could be launched -- not that any would have been any time soon, as both his and Donna's tracers also set a whole line a parasol ships ablaze even as they spun up their props.

All did not go their way, however; DING!DING!POINGPING! and bullets bounced off of teh steel fuselage plating, one bullet against all odds making it through ythe tortuous physical impossibilities of trajectory and obstacle placement, and scoring Al's left shoulder before burying itself otherwise harmlessly in the walnut plank that formed the dashboard of the cockpit.

"Bastard!" Al shouted, fighting the Duck out of the plunge that surprise and happenstance had imposed upon it, and rudder-kicking the duck around to swoop to starboard. "Donna, I got one on my tail, I'll be back in a sec!" the pain only made him more angry, and then the old murderous calm set in. "I'm goin' Huntin'!"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:20 am »

"I got your back Duck. Hen 14 and 19 if you please."  A few small bombs fell and made the effort to clear the wreckage of the blasted plane futile as everything caught fire.  Nineteen was the reload hopper for her forward guns. Hen hit it then enjoyed her corn while Donna swung around for another go. Things were going well until a mad pilot jumped in to a burning plane just to get some shots off at her.  Donna cursed retuning fire and it looked like everything was going good until her right forward gun jammed.  "Dog to Duck I am down a gun until I can have a go at it with a hammer.  My right side is gummed up again."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:31 pm »

The duck was, itself, a biplane; a rathe rsophisticated and insanely-powerful biplane (the ability to travel at speeds over 300 mph was abit extreme for such a craft), but a biplane nonetheless. Thus, while it could hold its own against all but the fastest fighter, it could also fly at speeds that would stall a monoplane, especially the newfangled side-winged metal monsters like the claudes and that new Mitsibishi contraption. That meant that agaist the parasol plane whose pilot thought he had the drop on him, Al's Duck was more than evenly matched; the Parasol craft was in fact outclassed.

Al gunned the engine and adjusted the angle of teh prop's blades, and the Duck shot forward as if by rocket assist. rolling into a tight portward turn, Al brought the duck up behind the opposing plane, whose pilot was still wildly snapping his head port, starboard, up and down trying to figure out where the Duck had disappeared to. He found out a moment later as the Duck's forward guns spoke and tracers blew through the cockpit and fuel tank.

The parasol plane exploded in midair, flaming bits falling just short of the carrier, which was beginning to list slightly to starboard. Apparently, some of Al's or Donna's bombs had fallen far enough inside, or ignited enough things within (or perhaps Amir had done something) that had caused the hull to be breached in some manner.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »

Amir took careful aim with the harpoon, quickly taking a shot on the tip of the runway. He snapped his fingers and Auto rolled the plane left, in compensation for the harpoon. Baring his swords, and hooking the one over the harpoon line, Amir jumped off the fuselage, straightening the plane. When Amir got to the ground, he could cut the wire and it'll whiplash back into the harpoon launcher, sans harpoon. "Alright, time to see how this beaten body gets on."

Amir could've sworn he saw something go into a shaft on the ship. Then began the first in a chain of explosions. "Al, you block-head! I woulda never been able 'a pull that off!" he yelled, not considering the lack of radio. The harpoon line wasn't very long, hence the necessity to get close to target. It was an Imperial Carrier, not an Imperial Walker.

He reached the ground and cut the cord, freeing the Pearl, just as the last set of explosions set off. A craft was coming straight for him as he touched down, but was shot to bits before it reached him. He still had to dodge some bits, though. "Shit, thanks, mates."

Blades to his side, and his keffiyeh over his eyes, Amir eyed the scattering crew who were either rushing to clean the mess, or to expel the new member of the crew. His eyes seemed to glow from the shadow of the wrap., while he smiled from inside.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2013, 06:41:37 pm »

The carrier was no longer merely listing; itwas now beginning a definite trend of heeling ove rto starboard, as the yellls and frantic screams of trapped or panicked men began to echo from the deepest hold and the engine room; the bunkers were on fire, and the hold was flooding from breaches just below the waterline.

Al looked down at the stricken carrier. "I sure hope Amir gets wise and gets outta there soon," he said, deftly avoiding the Pearl as it followed its lazy circular track.

"Duck to Dawg, maybe we oughta drop a yellow smoker into the hangar elevator hole, maybe Amir'll get the hint..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: