The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 31, 2020, 02:12:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 20296 times)
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner
United States United States

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:02 am »

Cracking his neck to the left and to the right, Amir gathered his clothes. "Then if I must die, let me die with my pants on, so I may die with pride, eh?" Throwing on his clothes, only making sure they were on straight, he popped his knuckles and kicked a few pieces of furniture out of the way, apologizing beforehand. "Alright, let's get this over with."

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 06:11:28 am »

Willa had no clue how to deal with this.  "Both of you look over there please.  I would like to get my dress back on."  She pointed at the far corner hoping she would not be spending most of her evening scrubbing blood out of the carpets. 

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 06:43:25 am »

At first, just the glass on the nightstand trembled, then the unmistakeable growl of four powerful engines made itself apparent as something big, heavy and fast bore down on the station. Arthur pressed the tit on his radio mic, "Charlie, Baker; Victor, Fox, Zebra, Zebra to Station Tower - permission to land please". He released the TX and listened to the crackle of static, curious as to what kind of response they would get. The Station was certainly impressive, out here in the wide open spaces of the Pacific and they had not had any difficulty locating it from the information bought in the bar in Copacabana where they had waited while the officials in La Paz found a new registration for the kite.

Arthur repeated the message after a minute. "It's a bit quiet down there, do you think everyone's out to lunch?" "I don't know skipper" replied Ken, " but there are some handy looking aircraft down on the hard standing - I hope the natives are friendly!"

Arthur checked the radio, the frequencies were right, there was current in the antenna, he tried a third time, followed by an exasperated "anybody home today?"

They could now see people moving about, staring up at the newcomer - Ken said quietly, "oh, they're at home alright, and I've a funny feeling that I know one of them quite well - and so do you skip".

With that, they lapsed into silence, completing a lazy circle round the base, checking wind direction and straining to hear anything coming back to them over the crackle of the wireless...

Edit to remove error 06/01/2013
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:59:45 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2013, 02:51:42 am »

Hanzo was an experienced swordsman, and difficult to distract from his target or his mission -- but the thunderous overflight by the huge iron bird outside would have frightened even the most starved or enraged tiger from his prey. Glancing upward, he cursed, a phrase in a rumbling mode of his native tongue rolling out unbidden; to one who understood the language it would have contained the name of a past emperor, and great, thunderous birds of prey.

Remembering his situation, he recovered -- but almost too late...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:29:53 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:37 pm »

Willa had been wracking her brain as to what a lady should do at a time like this.  She didn't see how screaming would help and she didn't have a broom.  Her vast collection of romance novels was being unhelpful.  When the shaking started she noticed the pitcher by her bed. It wasn't a big heavy vase like in the books but it would have to do in a pinch.  She hurled it at Hanzo with all the force a pair of arms used to scrubbing the floor every day could muster.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:15 pm »

The security cops finally arrived on the scene at the Steel Birds' hangar, attracted by the gunfire. "We've got the situation in hand, boys, Al called out as they stormed into the corridor outside the ready room. Hearing the radio in said ready room squawking with the voice of a bewildered flight attempting to land, Al motioned a familiar face over to help Donna keep an eye on disabled assassin.

"Guy's a jap operative, I expect, Phil," he said, "he's one o' the ones I fished out of the drink this morning. Donna's questioning him. Help 'er keep an eye on 'im, willya? I'll go see if I can scare up Bob in the tower or talk to the big bird." He deftly took control of his carbine. "lots of guns here now, Ladyduck," he said to Sabre as he motioned her aside. "maybe we can get that fellow down, or get Bob off of his behind." They moved into the ready room, and Al thumbed the transceiver.

"Charlie, Baker, Victor, Fox, Zebra, Zebra," Al intoned. "This is Steel Birds Hangar, Recon/Rescue pilot Al Clancy speaking; We've been having a small incident aboard, please stand by for the Tower Officer to return to his post, over." he clicked off, then turned to Sabre. "Would you mind getting on the horn and ringin' the tower, hon? Lord only knows what Bob's doing...

---------------
Hanzo swept the blade of the cane sword sideways, covering the opening thus left with the wood-and-metal body of the cane scabbard, and smashed the pitcher and the water it contained down the side of the nearby wall; it mostly wet the wall, only a minimal amount of water ending up on the rug. A musty smell of ancient cigar smoke and previous tenants arose from the small area of dampened floor covering.  

Hanzo suddenly charged, the last thing one would expect at such at time, slashing away at Amir with distressingly accurate cuts.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:40:18 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:46 pm »

"Charlie Baker - Victor - Fox _Zebra - Zebra; Roger Steel Birds Hangar and greetings Captain, thanks for the CQ. Standing by, over". Arthur looked over to Ken, now lounging in the co-pilots seat with a cigarillo between his teeth, waiting impatiently for the moment he was clear of the kite so he could light up - "so, an 'incident' occurs - hope that doesn't involve a reception committee for us!"

Ken grunted and shuffled further into the seat, taking in a swift glance of the relevant gauges. He had spent his life weighing the odds and it had kept him alive so far ~ putting aside the fact he was officially dead ~ and getting this big bird down on the water was a better option than trying to stay aloft for ever.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:26 pm »

The "ambassador" had opened the heavy portmanteau on the card table in his hotel room. doing so revealed a fully-equipped wireless radio transceiver setup, and he set about turning it on and tuning it to the relevant frequency, a setting used by the Japanese Navy for covert operations. he sent out a callsign and a short message via the code key included for that purpose, the message a series of numerals and grpoupings representing japanese alphabetical characters.

A small cruiser about fifty miles away received the message and sent a reply...

----------------
"Bob," the Tower officer, finally got on the radio and said, "Charlie, Baker, Victor, Fox, Zebra, Zebra, this is Pacific Fueling Station Tower. You are cleared for landing on East Ruinway J-12, or at a sixty-degree vector northward vector to our eastern side, at your discretion, seeing you are a flying boat, over?"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:04:02 am by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:34 pm »

"Charlie - Baker - Victor - Fox - Zebra - Zebra to Pacific Fueling Station Tower - thank you sir - setting final approach oh 3 oh. We will pick up a mooring and report to the tower with permission. We have no immediate service or fuel requirements. Standing by..."

Arthur put the nose down into a shallow dive and passed over the advised landing area. "Looks clear enough" he said. "Aye, aye skipper, no problem with depth out here and wave height is minimal - Pacific by name, pacific by nature" replied Ken "for today, at least - let's get this turkey down shall we?" He reached forward to cover the throttles as Arthur pulled back on the control column and put the Empire into just one more circuit of the amazing floating island. "Well, this is it - no going back now!"

The mighty flying boat moved steadily closer to the surface. Prop wash set little curls of water rising up behind the wing and with a tiny bounce the hull touched down, a rooster tail shooting out under the fuselage. Ken held the throttles as Arthur flew the plane into the sea and as the airspeed wound off he eased the throttles back steadily. The roar of the waves overwhelmed the roar of the engines, Ken could just hear the satisfying pops and crackles of fuel burning in the exhausts, taking him back to the banking at Brooklands.

Once the big bird came to a steady drifting motion, Ken handed the throttles over to the pilot and he worked his way forward to open the anchoring hatch. Arthur taxied the Empire back towards the Station to a row of large floating mooring bouys. Ken, standing in the open hatch pointed to a suitable bouy with the long boathook. It suddenly struck him that this was the best smelling harbour he had ever been in until he realised the massive line of quaysides, cranes, buildings and ships was just a mirage - this was not land - this was the middle of an ocean. He had seen amazing things in his life but this just took his breath away.

Having gone through the same routine for the thousandth time probably, they picked up the bouy, made the plane secure and unshipped the Folboat. They rowed 'ashore', secured the tender and walked in silence to the tower.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »

Halt! State your business, if you please, Gentlemen." the guard at the door to the administration complex, to which the Tower was attached, demanded somewhat respectfully. A squad of military-looking policemen, dressed in berets & khakis and bearing SMLE carbines, stood to one side. "We've just had a serious security issue, so we're on alert at the moment. Can I see your passports andflight plans, please? Also, any cargo lists or bills of lading that you would like to declare. Are you carrying weapons on your persons?"

------------------
Shiro crouched as he bled. "I am called Shiramachou," he said. "I am attached to the the command of Colonel Sukira of the Haiironekonomi, The Grey Cats." It was an old name for a regiment from out of legend, supposedly a regiment made up of Oni and Youkai, famous for stealth and prowess. Whether or not it had ever really existed was as much a mystery as the truth about the Shinobu. Supposedly Shiro's great-granduncle had been one of it's number. The name of the colonel was genuine, the name of the head of security at Yokohama Port; but these westerners needed not to know such things...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:04:23 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:51 pm »

"Good morning gentlemen, what a splendid day it is! Captain Arthur Reynolds of Air Clipper ..er... Firefly and First Officer K.Lee. Here are our passports and the registration documents for the aircraft. We aren't in freight at the moment nor have we any passengers as the Pacific Fuelling Station is our planned destination. We have letters of introduction to the Steel Birds from Captain Marco Razzolini of Dalmatia, a pilot of great reputation."

Arthur paused, hoping the name would be better than their British passports, particularly as they had arrived piloting a Bolivian registered aircraft! "and we therefore are unarmed, assuming there is no need for personal hardware here".

He thought the temperature was hotter now than when they came in and he was now concious he was sweating profusely - how stupid not to have thought about this moment beforehand! 'Firefly' - what a stupid name and of course a type of Coleoptera - if he was trying to disconnect the aircraft from her true provenance and create a new identity for her, he would have to do much better than that...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:46:27 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »

"Sergeant"!

"Sir!"

"Get the letters of introduction from these gentlemen and run them over to teh Steel Birds' hangar, pronto! get Ferry the Captain or Al Or Donna over here, and that prisoner I hear they've taken, and ferry them all ove rhere so they can take a look at our guests."

The officer had seen these kinds of situations before, mercenaries arriving with a lette ror less and asking to see Teh Steel Birds' captain , or the Commandant of teh station, or the port captain, or whomever. "If you'll come inside and have a seat, gentlemen, we have coffee on the perk and room to unlax until the pertinent party arrives."
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2013, 12:38:21 am »

Ken glanced at Arthur in his odd quizzical way "I'm not terribly sure how that went... I hope Razzolini wasn't shooting a line when he said he had met a couple of the Steel Birds at Gina's back before the invasion".

"No, I'm sure it will be OK - Razzo's solid as they come even if he is a bit pig like - and Gina wouldn't drop us in it - would she?" Now it was Arthur's turn to look quizzically at K.L. - he had always been a lady's man and maybe he had offended Gina... no, impossible - he was more of a gentleman than Arthur was and he wouldn't have crossed the lady of that esteemed establishment.

"No, it's OK K.L. - its just that they're all on tenterhooks because of this situation they've had - look at those guards, like veritable cats on a hot tin roof - suggest we do as they say and sit down with no sudden moves. You never know, this time the coffee might just be drinkable!" he added with his cheery smile.

Ken thought just two things to himself - that this further abreviating of his name was getting on his nerves - and no, he didn't think it would be...

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:48 am »

The sergeant steered across the runway even with the tower, and raced across towad the Steel Birds hangar, narrowly missing a collision with an incoming C-47, and cutting neatly back behind a departing Beechcraft. The open-top sedan screeched to a halt outside the door to the Steel Birds' hangar, and the sergeant leaped out before the vehicle had stopped rocking. He ran into the office, startling Sabre, who let out a loud WHOOP of surprise.

"Beggin yer pardon, Ma'am, Al, but there's a party to see you or your cap'n at the tower, somebody what came in on that big flyin' boat. Says these are letters of intro; they look to be from somebody named Razzo..." Teh sergeant caught his breath after handing the letters to Al, who opened and read them.

"Old razzo; You 'member him, Sabre, him an' Gina? That was back when I was flyin' that Supermarine pursuit seaplane..."

A few minutes later, Al and Sabre were hanging on for dear life as the sergeant once again tempted fate crossing the runway. They hurried inside, and Al introduced them. "You say you're friends of Razzo's and Gina's?" he asked. Sabre looked the men up and down. she turned to the younge rof teh two, and said, "I seem to remember you from Gina's, or did you have a brother? I used to factor for my father in the Adriatic. My sisters and I used to fly over to Gina's on Saturdays; Stlletta flew us over on the silver dagger, an old Curtiss flying rowboat of a thing."

Al looked over the letters again while Ginaq made smalltalk, covertly watching the newcomers' reactions and mannerisms.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2013, 10:13:28 am »

"Ok cat man why attack Silvia? The worse thing she has ever done is talk you ear off and maul young men with her eyes."  There was something they didn't know about this job and Donna wanted to root it out before it exploded under them like a land mine.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »

"Hmpf." Shiro was genuinelysurprised by the woman's assumption of murderous intent. Well and good, he would not have batted an eye if the man had been cut. He would have regretted the woman's death or injury.

"a threat was necessary to aid misdirection and prevent pursuit. I would not have cared for the man's life, but females are precious...to a point," he added. "The Lady who shot me is a worthy opponent; I would honor her with a good death, as befits such, regrettable though her loss might be. The one with the umbrella? Perhaps in future she will have the good sense to take up a more viable weapon. Still, one has to admire her pluck. Are you certain you wish to waste time with such trivial questions and answers?" Shiro asked mockingly. "Not that I know much of any real import," he added. He scolded himself for becoming too easily communicative; blood loss must be making him lightheaded, and thus careless, he reasoned...
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:26 pm »

Al looked over the letters again while Ginaq made smalltalk, covertly watching the newcomers' reactions and mannerisms.

*Assumes that it is Sabre making small talk..

Arthur immediately recognised the beautiful English business woman from those heady days at the Hotel Adriano - "No, it was me ma'am - I was only just 22 at the time and it would seem the years have been kinder to you than they have to me". Ken snorted as the skipper turned on his boyish charm - although it seemed to be well received by Lady Sabre, the other observers were clearly cynical and retaining an almost professional aloofness. What on earth could have happened? It was not as if they had crept in unannounced - the Captains reference was impecable and here were people he had met before, yet who seemed not to want to recognise him despite the fact he would swear he had not changed one iota in the years, well, maybe the hairline a tad receded - and maybe a bit thinner - oh, what the hell. Maybe it was being dead that made people want to forget him! Well, at least that part of the plan was working.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »

"So we pull you from the sea then you return the favour by trying to either intimidate or kill us and they say you are honourable." Donna sighed annoyed.  Then realised he had given himself away, he was stalling. "You want to stop us from doing our job at least.  So that German is at-least partly telling the truth and is in danger.  Think I will hand you over to the guards. You can't harm anything at the moment and the leader has a little crush on Miss Silvia so I think he can handle things nicely.  Then we can realy get to work."  She hauled him over To the guard station and went to find Al.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:46 am »

Amir took a few short-handed chops across the chest and arms, scratching across his body. He had to endure a few more hits to figure out some semblance of a swordsman's pattern, so he could dodge the blade and hit it aside, not necessarily out of Hanzo's hands. A nice stagger to open up a spot for him to incapacitate the swordsman.

Amir had garnered a good number of deep wounds when he figured out the pattern. He swiped the blade to strike the ground, and applied pressure with his foot, causing the blade to flatten to the floor, and Hanzo had to either concede his blade, or fall victim to the next move. Amir quickly ducked, applying additional pressure to the blade, and performed a short charging shoulder tackle. If Hanzo didn't give up his blade, he'd hit the dresser and land himself a concussion. Either way, Amir would likely end up knocked out from blood loss and pain, anyway. But there would be no killing blow on either of them.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2013, 05:49:38 am »

Willa was badly distressed finally she found a man at least as interesting as the ones in her novels and that blasted dandy was chopping him up.  Willa watched as they circled lunging at one another and as a swing nearly sheared the curtains in two she smiled.  She tugged on the other side and the flimsy supports gave way dropping the thick brass pole and cloth down on the dandy. 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »

This was going to get even messier than it was before, obviously. Hanzo remembered the cyanide button on his shirt collar, and pulled a heavy bladed tanto dagger from his waistband. He slashed his way free of the drapery pile, and jerked head sideways, clamping his teeth down on the button and ripping it free from his shirt collar, gulping it down before the coverall-clad man could stop him. as his body convulsed in the final throes of cyanide poisoning, Hanzo wildly slapped the dagger around, trying to reach his opponent one last time -- and then he collapsed to the floor, twitched violently three or four times, and then went limp as his vision filled with red and the pain in his body grew exponentially -- and then the world went black.

Hanzo was dead, his body, Shiro, and the erstwhile 'ambassador' the only clues to what it had all been about.

Shiro had provoked the Security chief with taunts about his 'ravishment' of Silvia. the man was all too willing to believe Shiro capable of such, and his imagination filled in the gaps in the cruel ploy of a story. He pulled his truncheon and d cloutedthe man once. Shiro played dead on the floor.

"Clean him up," Chief Langley said. "Make 'im presentable for the ambassador. Whitey, go and call the hotel and get that so-called ambassador down here."

One guard in the cell, one outside. Both wore belts and harnesses, and the one inside the cell had both a truncheon and a gun. Shiro suddenly came to life, grabbed the gun, shot the guard inside the cell, then the one outside, and then shot himself. With the last of his strength, he smeared a message in calligraphy on the wooden deck of the Brig:

cherry blossoms
innumerable snowy petals
honor blossoms in spring.

A company of security stormed into the hotel, surprising the ambassador at his wireless set...
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:17 am »

And with one last cut across his stomach from the tiny dagger, Amir, laughed, coughed up a slight bit of blood, and felt rather dizzy. "I'll be fine!" he said whimsically, as he fell to the floor unconscious. Blood seeped from his cuts, and he laid on the floor with an odd smile on his face. A final thought crossed his mind as he slowly felt himself falling back to the near death, like back in Syria. Yeah, only good things come of these situations. For him, anyway.

Damn. My blood's kind of tasty.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2013, 08:36:34 am »

Willa had lost all sense of keeping the fact she had been entertaining a gentleman in her room a secret and screamed.  Silvia came in and promptly fainted causing the guard to come running in from his patrol.  Then there were a lot of rushing around getting the doctor and fuss about wounds and smelling salt.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »

Arthur looked at Ken, "well it doesn't look like the kind of place we are going to fit in - fancy Borneo?"
"Yes, why not" answered the first (and only) officer - "if we can get some fuel then maybe that holds a better opportunity for us".

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:50:18 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2013, 06:54:44 pm »

Donna walked up to Al looking frazzled.  "Al I think we are in the thick of things.  I just tryed to contact Silvia at the Spring blossem inn and all I got was a bunch of gibberish about blood on the carpet, shellshocked cats and valent young men.  Amir is either causeing trouble or is in buckets of the stuff and either way we best get him out quick."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: