The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 20, 2019, 04:03:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: La Langosta, a steampunk submarine model kit in 1:144 - first look  (Read 10555 times)
brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« on: November 16, 2012, 04:37:44 pm »

Hi, guys,

My name is Brian, owner and operator of a scale model company called Alliance Model Works, which most of you guys probably had never heard of Cheesy
We make model kits, and modifications to existing model kits, for various disciplines of the hobby, but TBH, mostly military stuff. You can check out some of our stuff at www.am-works.com, but that's not why I'm posting here today.

Normally we make tanks, warships, figures (people) that sort of things. Lately, we had started to venture into fantasy subjects, and we're planning to come out with a series of pirate themed steampunk vehicle models. The first one on our list is this small submarine, shaped like a lobster.

That was on drawing board, this is the body cast out (most of it) and roughly put together, without gluing. To actually build the model would require some superglue and small tweezers.

the submarine is ~20cm long, in 1:144 scale (so it would be around 30 meters long if it was 1:1). It will come with a lot of photo etched brass parts that are easy to work with. There will also be decals and other necessary components to finish the kit into a display model.

Well, the etched components of the submarine aren't finished yet so I don't have a ship put together to show yall, but to give an idea of what our models would look like, here's a 1:350 scale model of German WWI submarine service ship we released last month (SMS Vulkan). The build is 24cm long. This sample was put together overnight.

The lobster was just first of the series of steampunk vehicles. All will be in 1:144 scale, they are meant to be finished into desktop displays.
We will also work on the backstory and make some wallpapers.

You could follow our company on facebook http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.214370435251235.65365.196817487006530&type=1
but just so yall know, we rarely update the facebook page Cheesy

Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:15 pm »

Excellent !!

Well you have at least one sold.

How will I know when they are for sale?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:47:16 pm by Capt James Salt » Logged

If at first your idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein-

See pictures of my models at:  http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

That German ship looks amazing...so I bet it's out of my meager price range(dammit!).
I shall drool over your site when me work is done for the day.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »

that kit is $110 on our site, but you can get it elsewhere (ebay for example) for as low as $85.
I imagine the lobster will be similar in price, about the same size. Future steampunk subjects might be larger and bit more expansive though.
brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »

oh, and no worries on the release dates/info. I'll post here and you can always check our website for updates.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »

That's a tasty-looking bit of work, so it is.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
MAALEV
Officer
Spain Spain

https://twitter.com/Raygu
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »

greate desing!!!, one question "la langosta" why spanish name?

brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »

I guess langosta sounded more like the food form of the animal Cheesy
The series will have a neo-golden age of piracy sort of theme/background.
So, pirates, spaniards, hispaniola...

Some of the background/theme:
.~100 years after the golden age of piracy, before or during ACW period. Everybody needed money and a society formed around these salvage activities.
.There were also those made living raiding. Protection and offensive needs gave necessity to weaponize the vessels, which gave rise to an industry of high end weapons produced in limited quantities for high prices. 
.External combustion engines were primary power sources across the board, with advanced small applications of internal combustions (this lobster had diesel), to provide rudimentary form of electricity. Electricity powered lamps, batteries provide underwater propulsion, and servos. Most functions relied on finely crafted mechanical systems.
.Electronic systems didn't exist, no sonar, just optics and limited lighting.
.Fabrication, mostly forge welding and riveting. They had some electric power, so some of the more "advanced" crafts might have a bit of welds.
.There will also be aerostats and ground effect aircrafts (wave skimming gliders).

TL:DR version: civilwar technologies on steroid + privateer salvagers + maritime environments.

spdrcr
Swab

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:00:12 am »

When will the La Langosta be available for order? I don't see it on your site.

Thanks,
John
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 03:29:15 am »

Very nice, perhaps you might want to contact Herr Doktor to licence some of his one offs for reproduction as limited edition models such as the Steamball or the Gladstone Three Legged Walking Tank or his Aerial Battleship, they would fit in nicely with your range.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »

I realize it had been a while (half a year since I post here on the subject), our apology for the long wait.
The lobster submarine is almost done testing, all the etched pieces need to fit well onto the resin base structure, and the back and forth on that had finally come to an end. Even at this stage, there are still packaging and instructions to complete, but I'm looking forward to get this onto the market within a month from now.

Alliance Model Works is an established model company, and this isn't a "kickstarter" project. The final package will be a model kit, a "product", which by its very definition should be something that could be easily finished into a constructed model. How well one paints and weathers his model isn't really of our concern, but making sure our customers will have a pleasant time constructing the kit is our responsibility, and basically our job Grin

We had actually tried a bunch of different approaches to dress up the submarine, and settled with a victorian style in the end. Not to spoil things, here I'll show you guys what some of the control surfaces looked like.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. We want to develop these items from ground up, since we also structure our story background with the development of these individual vehicle models. The lobster is first of the series, nevertheless, it sets standards, as well as limitations that would go across the entire series, and the subsequent items will do the same. These items together will build up a background environment, one which all the exhibited technologies would fit within, and make sense.

The lobster is 28 meters head to toe, not really a midget, rather a small coastal submarine for operating around narrow and shallow sea beds. It had diesel-electric instead of steam (or the 90 ft boat wouldn't be able to accommodate enough fuel). The solid state battery rods are inside its long tail, while most the internal space of the hull occupied by fuel.
It's double hull (I'll post resin parts of our 2nd sub at the end, featuring saddle tanks). The pressurized air tanks not only empty ballast and trim tanks, but also drive a series of pneumatics including 2 claws and a boost system that allows the sub to accelerate in short bursts.
The lobster is a 4-men salvage team, designed to take apart wrecks onsite and haul back precious cargo. The builders were asked to give it some form of defense against pirates and raiders. Two 21 inch oxygen driven torpedo was the answer...

anyroad, here's resin body parts of the 2nd in this series (for now, some the parts might get redesigned). This guy is quite a bit bigger, has onboard crane, 4 guns and a much larger crew. (the yellow figure is a 6 foot guy in 1:144).

brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:31:54 am »

Hi, Guys,

Here to give an update on the lobster.
Design and testing all done, we're just waiting on instructions drawn out to release this kit. Probably sometime in August.
The horizontal fins can be positioned to retracted or opened positions. Kit will come with bunch of davits and fishing poles (etch). These can be plugged into existing positions(holes) around the deck.

Majority of the etch were just stacked together or went over resin pieces, with exception of the propeller, took me a while to shape it. This unpainted build took me roughly 5 hours, there was not much needed to be cleaned on the resin. Everything was superglued together  Grin

We're already working on the next one, a much bigger submarine. After that, probably a steam tank of some sort. Hopefully I'll have a figure (statue) to show you guys before long too.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:17:08 am »

Beautiful! Love the scroll work.
brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 05:45:56 pm »

Beautiful! Love the scroll work.

thanks Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:53:31 pm by brassnautilus » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 11:02:44 pm »

Can't believe I missed this.  Wonderful and fun.

brassnautilus
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 04:42:26 am »

Can't believe I missed this.  Wonderful and fun.

actually you had not Cheesy
Sorry for grave digging everyone. Just wanted to make a note that the model kit had been released. You can order it through your local hobby shops, on ebay, or from our webstore.
http://www.am-works.com/store/fw001-1144-steampunk-submarine-p-292.html

Current steampunk project is this 1:8 chick. Full figure, picture of only upper body.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: