The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 07, 2021, 04:14:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 12894 times)
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2015, 02:22:46 am »

Sometime in the next 12 months I will be getting a Mac Mini...

The question is... should I get an iPhone 4s 8gb when i dump my Sony..

I may be about to become an Apple Zombie...

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:31 am »

Doesn't that give you a dilemma as zombie hunters are sooo steampunk? And why dump a Sony in favour of an iPhone - I think my Xperia Z is the best 'phone I have owned (so far) just waiting for the Z4...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:06 am »

And why an iPhone 4s?  Isn't that 3 generations old?  Just go for a Samsung if you want to dump the Sony.

LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2015, 07:28:08 am »

Yes - get a Mac!

Yeah. That reminds me of this quote http://www.xkcdb.com/5088

Edit: Security Essentials has been renamed to Windows Defender. Works just as fine. Whichever software computer vendors pre-install (usually a bunch of trial bloatware) is irrelevant.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2015, 09:06:31 am »

Yes - get a Mac!

Yeah. That reminds me of this quote http://www.xkcdb.com/5088

Edit: Security Essentials has been renamed to Windows Defender. Works just as fine. Whichever software computer vendors pre-install (usually a bunch of trial bloatware) is irrelevant.

Thanks. Nice to have an answer.

neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #230 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:45 pm »

And why an iPhone 4s?  Isn't that 3 generations old?  Just go for a Samsung if you want to dump the Sony.

The last Samsung I had was appalling... no graphic equalizer, counter-intuitive controls and missing lots of functionality I'd taken for granted on my ancient w810i.

My daughter has an iphone 4s and it seems to work like a dream.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:33 pm »

Which Samsung, and what Operating System version?
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:58 pm »

Which Samsung, and what Operating System version?

I think it was the Samsung Toco?

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »

Had to look that one up.  "The Samsung F480 (also known as Tocco... released in May 2008 by Samsung Mobile."
Released before Android 1.0 on the HTC G1 (My first cell phone).  The oldest Galaxy S line you could find these days, running Android 4.something, would be a massive upgrade.  I don't believe it has a graphic equalizer by default, and I've never missed it on my current cell phone (Galaxy S Relay, Android 4.0), but I suspect an app to perform the function is available.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »

Had to look that one up.  "The Samsung F480 (also known as Tocco... released in May 2008 by Samsung Mobile."
Released before Android 1.0 on the HTC G1 (My first cell phone).  The oldest Galaxy S line you could find these days, running Android 4.something, would be a massive upgrade.  I don't believe it has a graphic equalizer by default, and I've never missed it on my current cell phone (Galaxy S Relay, Android 4.0), but I suspect an app to perform the function is available.

I could't have a phone without a graphic equalizer... it would render most music or audiobooks unlistenable, (at least to my ears Roll Eyes ).

Aside from music/audiobooks I only use Facebook and Googlebooks....

I must be getting old...maybe it's time I asked those kids to get of my lawn  Wink
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »

The Sony Xperia plays audio through a Walkman app. In the app, settings/sound enhancement/ gives access to a 5 band graphic equaliser (400Hz, 1k, 2.5k, 6k and 16k) plus an adjustable 'clear bass' filter -10 to +10 dB. The 5" screen means it is also useable for running Kindle. It is a better phone IMO than the iPhone but the fact remains that the iPhone is so much easier to operate due to the fact it is completely developed in house. Getting back to the OP, my good lady wife's htc has Windows 8 mobile running on it and I can't conceive of a worse choice!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2015, 08:40:31 pm »

The Sony Xperia plays audio through a Walkman app. In the app, settings/sound enhancement/ gives access to a 5 band graphic equaliser (400Hz, 1k, 2.5k, 6k and 16k) plus an adjustable 'clear bass' filter -10 to +10 dB. The 5" screen means it is also useable for running Kindle. It is a better phone IMO than the iPhone but the fact remains that the iPhone is so much easier to operate due to the fact it is completely developed in house. Getting back to the OP, my good lady wife's htc has Windows 8 mobile running on it and I can't conceive of a worse choice!

Well that's the whole point of iOS and Android.  Arguably Samsung Galaxy S5 is already ahead of iPhone 6, and in fact the iPhone 6  looks a lot like the Galaxy S5 in size and the iPhone 6 plus is basically made to compete with Galaxy Note 4 phone, thus Apple is tacitly now following Samsung in some ways.  Noting that 99% of Samsungs out there are either the Galaxy S or Galaxy Note versions (smartphone, not the tablet), while the iPhone has fallen to a market share equally sized to Samsung worldwide if I understand correctly.

The only thing I don't like about the new generations is the size.  I dint have room in my pant pockets for either the new iPhones or the Samsungs.
Everything you need is available through an App.  And yes it seems to me that  Windows would be a bad choice.  There are
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:52:50 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »

I imagine the quality of the power amp in Xperia is good?
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »

Just found out that the iPhone has no equaliser either! I hate presets... but maybe there's a free app?

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:59 pm »

I imagine the quality of the power amp in Xperia is good?

It is 'adequate'. I have had no problems with headphones for audiobooks and listening to audio clips or internet wireless whilst out and about. In the car or playing into a 'proper' system I confess my music collection is all on an iPod Classic recorded using the Apple 'lossless' codec. So, I probably can't give an objective judgement.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:27 am »

I heard Sony is launching a specializedWalkman phablet" of sorts with a really high quality analog power amp and digital hardware + audiophile friendly software.  One of the problems I have with the advent of portables is that music quality went down the drain, so to speak.  I'm a child of the 80's when analog equalizers ruled and every year there was a new music gadget coming out.  Compact discs were a boon to audiophiles, but the digitization of music beyond that point created a situation where primitive computers (pre-Pentium) could barely handle decent digital sound formats.  That was the reason mp3 came out and won against Sony's proprietary and superior ATRAC compression format.   It was not until post Pentium III that the mp3 world gave the average consumer the world of recording and playback.  The good news I'd that the Discrete Fourier Transform compression methods (includes almost any lossy audio or video format today) meant that the equalizer function was almost trivial to implement (just control the individual volume of the harmonic components of the Fourier transform.  So for a digital device handling mp3, AAC, ATRAC, ogg, etc. there is no excuse for nor having a band equalizer.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »

Just about to dump my phone and system for Apple and then Microsoft launches Windows 10..... which appears to be not entirely rubbish  Shocked

Well played Microsoft... well played....

*narrows eyes with suspicion*
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:36 am »

Just about to dump my phone and system for Apple and then Microsoft launches Windows 10..... which appears to be not entirely rubbish  Shocked

Well played Microsoft... well played....

*narrows eyes with suspicion*

Upgrade to MS Win 10 could be free to you according to reports:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-unveils-windows-10-upgrade-202208205.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-10-takes-huge-strides-to-correct-108767403494.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: