The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:18:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 12897 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2014, 11:08:12 pm »

I almost wonder if this was not entirely intentional by Microsoft.  The workaround for 64 bit Linux was to revert to and old Skype 4, but as I wrote above, that stopped working last Friday...

Well they had to be sure that everyone was using the version with the NSA requested 'backdoor'.... Cheesy

I'm only partially joking.  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »

I almost wonder if this was not entirely intentional by Microsoft.  The workaround for 64 bit Linux was to revert to and old Skype 4, but as I wrote above, that stopped working last Friday...

Well they had to be sure that everyone was using the version with the NSA requested 'backdoor'.... Cheesy

I'm only partially joking.  Undecided

And I'm only partially smiling  Undecided

But the reality is economic.  Having a bunch of non-Windows users running Skype is anathema to Microsoft's goals.  What better way to talk trash about the competition than actually just sabotage the functionality of a popular program in the opponent's platform?  This is just Microsoft being as dirty as they always are.

However that is still not saving their skin, as far as I'm concerned. I tried running an Indiegogo campaign to raise funds for a case made for the Surface Pro 2 tablet.  The campaign was as tiny as you can think of - only $2500 .  After TWO whole months not a single person came forward either with verbal or financial support.  Goes to show you how popular this company's products are now.  It seems only the corporate world is interested in Microsoft products except for Windows 8.  Maybe there is some interest in their telephone forays (Nokia Lumia).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:01:14 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2014, 05:17:40 am »

Here's more details on the rumours about Windows 9

https://news.yahoo.com/windows-8-died-launch-microsoft-moves-windows-9-231606647.html

Wish list
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2460615/15-windows-9-features-we-want-to-see-in-microsofts-next-os.html
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »

Thanks for the Windows 9 info.

Commander Data
Officer

Gravatar

I swear, I'm not trying to be a jerk.

« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2014, 02:13:30 pm »

You guys might want to keep tabs on my blog;
http://mooreithelp.blogspot.com/
I write articles on this stuff every so often.

I swear, I'm not trying to be a jerk.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »

Windows 9 by September...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2466558/windows-9-inbound-microsoft-to-unveil-windows-threshold-in-september-reports-say.html

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »

Interesting read but I find myself wondering what is in there for me. I use 8.1 on a desktop and it does pretty much what I want - I'm not sure I want it to regress to appease the rather individual requirements raised by the author. Technology companies have a problem trying to create a platform that supports everything from 'phones to pro level desktop machines, via tablets, laptops, consumer, business and 'prosumer' machines, especially where consumers want to do their own thing on all the different solutions. For example, in my interest area, you have folk recording and editing music files on all of those devices - 'phones, tablets, laptops and desk tops. Now it is horses for courses, I mean you are unlikely to produce a 192 track soundtrack for a movie on a tablet but I am pretty sure some will want to do it on a laptop and will push the peripherals to do it. So, I have every sympathy with MS and Apple - not everybody is experienced or time rich enough to use an open source platform - but it does mean we will all have to compromise although I expect we have not seen the end of new OS releases with a large part of the buying public digging in and not upgrading at the vendor's convenience!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

Interesting read but I find myself wondering what is in there for me. I use 8.1 on a desktop and it does pretty much what I want...

Agreed. Despite all the negative comments about 8 and 8.1 I haven't had a single problem with it.

Apart from the 'Start' button. I'd have that back.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2014, 11:44:49 pm »

That seems to be the regular ask - please can I have the Start button back, but tbh I haven't missed it. What did I ever use it for that I can't find a similar short cut to in W8.1?

My only major gripe with 8 was the faf I had closing programs - what with downward swiping then hold 'til the screen rotates, then wipe out!!! At least now in desktop mode the nice little cross is back - click and it's gone.

So, general question what do you have to have the Start button for that you can't do in W8.1? Anybody?

ffitz
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2014, 11:26:32 pm »

This is my first go on 8.1.  Apart from the fact that the screen keeps having a hissy-fit and I have to wait a second or two for it to clear, so far so good.  I have no doubt that things will go wrong in the future and I would like to think that I could ask you gents for advice as and when.  Toodle-loo.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2014, 04:38:06 am »

That seems to be the regular ask - please can I have the Start button back, but tbh I haven't missed it. What did I ever use it for that I can't find a similar short cut to in W8.1?

My only major gripe with 8 was the faf I had closing programs - what with downward swiping then hold 'til the screen rotates, then wipe out!!! At least now in desktop mode the nice little cross is back - click and it's gone.

So, general question what do you have to have the Start button for that you can't do in W8.1? Anybody?

ffitz

Funny, if you read all of my comments.criticism, you will not find even one mention about the lack of a Start Button (I guess if I was complaining about that I'd owe you an answer).   My comments were directed at ease of use, particularly with mouse and long menu lists of items or programs as opposed to finger and swipe gestures. And other comments brought by others like Mr. Birdnest's were directed at the fair use of real estate for drafting (again, with a mouse).

The whole point of the start button was access to comprehensive (read compact and detailed) long lists of programs, places or diagnostics (a compact single button "tree root" or "go to hub" for everything) in your computer - with notable inclusion of user-defined links to primitive legacy DOS software commands and user-written software (coming from an engineering background I write my own software, I usually don’t usually need a complex UI to run my programs).

Look at the dock/application launcher on the left of Ubuntu's "Unity" interface; it replaces he Windows like KDE and Gnome menus which are very Windows-like.  Unity is very reminiscent of launchers used in other operating systems like OSX and of 3rd party software add-ons for Windows.  I find Unity "mildly cumbersome", mostly due the icon size, which no matter how small you make the icons, it is still bigger than the links on a proper menu; but otherwise, I find the Unity UI very intuitive - the learning curve is much shallower than that for Windows 8, and you get to retain menus, and traditional task bars, and even the simplest of UI's like command level text-based terminal windows - useful when things go "awry" and you have to shut down out of control applications, look for obscure drivers, or system files,  or make very basic assessments of the operating system or hardware health, or even access any of the many 100's of smaller applications / operating system components native to Linux which usually are hidden.  Call me a geek, but I like having 100% control and know every little thing that is inside my machine...

*Ahem*

If Linux is a pint of Guinness, grown up and perhaps too bitter for some palates, then Windows 7 and earlier is like a "light" Lager, OSX is like Coca-Cola, hence more palatable for young mouths, and Windows 8 is like cheap mango-flavoured soda from you local petrol station food-store which basically tastes very weird.  Note both Linux and the mango soda are acquired tastes according to the bulk of the population; but the sad part is that the pint of mango soda will cost you $200 (or $100 if you had Windows before), and the Pint of Guiness is FREE.

J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:03:02 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »

No answer required Mr.Wilhelm, I wasn't responding to anybody in particular, just bemused at my own satisfaction with the 8.1 build. I suppose my gripe if I have one is the fact that MS may be about to make a significantly altered W9, pressured into it by W8 whingers, when I am actually reasonably content! Thank you for your insight into one aspect of the start button saga, in that it gives quick access to the All Programs menu. I find that the Windows button (wipe and touch / mouse hover and click or one keyboard click) opens the metro screen in W8 with all my programs that I want to see (and none that I don't as they are user selectable) which I can then open by touch or point and click. It just feels more intuitive to me.

But, and this is one of my main points, it seems to be really difficult for MS to make an excellent user i/f experience because of the enormous user base with all of its individual limitations of experience and knowledge, personal and often obscure computing requirements and limited time available to work at any specific problem before the brain implodes. As such, there are always going to be a large number of detractors which, because of social internet media, often creates the truth, rather than an opinion. However, using that same argument against myself, I suppose it was the weight of opinion that inspired the prompt release of 8.1 because as I have admitted 8 was grossly under-developed. Maybe 9 will be better...

Your comments do rather underline the point ~ you have the experience and the ability to master freeware OS, therefore you would measure W8 very differently from myself who doesn't have that knowledge and has no inclination to put aside the time to learn it - I may only be wandering around this planet a few more years and I don't think that new skill will enrich the experience for me!

But thank you for the insight, I do wonder a bit about OSX as well, briefly considering building a Hackintosh instead of another Windows machine this time. After all, Macs are considered de riguer for music production, CAD, photography manipulation, professional writing assignments, etc, but again it seemed like I would not be gaining sufficient to make the acquiring of new knowledge a good trade.

Unfortunately though, your analogy does not work for me as I would not pay anything for a pint of Guinness, it is pretty worthless as a drink in my opinion and what else could you do with it? I mean, you can't even clean brass with it like you can with Coke! Guinness is equally the drink of fashion as are the lager and fizzy cola drink, chilled to within an inch of its life to make it just drinkable. My palate is more attuned to a well made bitter beer, a glass of red wine, a perfectly brewed cup of tea or even a great coffee. They may cost but they are worth it when opportunity arises. Although I have been using the family W7 m/c for quite a while now, my present W8 m/c is an upgrade from my XP m/c which I built in 2005, so the cost was not too painful spread over 9 years.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »

Well, let's face it, Linux, like Guiness is an acquired taste.  For decades, it had the steepest learning curve for a neophyte.  But this OS was born "old" around 1993, being a port of the venerable UNIX from workstations and mainframe computers of the 1970s, which precede Apple and Microsoft (Apple OS related to UNIX indirectly as it comes from the BSD (Linux clone) operating system from the University of California).  So the legacy of Linux is it's pedigree for all the primitive layers and tools that were embedded during the genesis of the communication protocols we now know as the Internet, and which never meant for the general public to learn... (I think I just described the bitter taste of Guiness).  But that bitterness is exactky what makes it so good.  This leaves Linux as the only (commonly available) OS that will take you right down to the most basic computing tools (and hence why Linux can fit in as little as a 50MB optical mini disk).  Once nerds decided they also wanted a pretty windows-like interface, they started adding layers (literally), and Linux (very slowly through the 1990s), began to make itself friendly to the general user.  It's all those bells and whistles that I cherish. Like the ultimate Swiss Army knife of OSs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:56:16 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »

No start button?  I have a list of programme logos down the left-hand side to click on.  Better than having to do 'start' first.  To close down I have a 'window' logo at the top to click on.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:11 am »

An app bar is nice for commonly used apps, but is no substitute for a good hierarchical menu
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2014, 01:14:48 am »

Window 8 is bad enough but we're about to be moved from MS Office 2003 to MS Office 2013 at work which will be wiping out 20 years of my informal knowledge in one fell swoop.... but of course everyone says it' much better when you get to know it and people complained about computers when they were first... blah blah blah... As far as this old codger in training goes... ribbon toolbars are appalling...grrrrr

/rant

ON a lighter note
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DaveChiff
Swab

Singapore Singapore

« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:00 am »

I am using Windows 8 at my office. Thousands of times I had the feeling to switch to Windows 7 back.

MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2014, 05:24:05 pm »

As a techie my favourite, in terms of low level accessibility vs usability, was windows 2000. After that they started hiding admin tools in silly places.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:57 am »

Guess what?

Skipping 9, going straight to 10....

all is made clear here...    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-10-undoes-the-disaster-of-windows-8-mostly-98835840904.html

and notice how he explains that "Tiles" is actually it's own separate O/S runnning seperate "Tiles" apps -
I toldja it was evil ....  :'(

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2014, 09:16:17 am »

And thus spoke Zarathustra...

From the article above
But at least mouse-and-keyboard folks won’t sacrifice productivity in the name of the touchscreen revolution that never came, and tablet fans won’t have to work (much) with tiny window controls.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:50:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:12 pm »

Possibly the wrong place for this:-

I think that Microsoft, have got use to being "Nanny knows best" when it comes OS. They want you to have what they think that you should have, not what you want.

Surely it would be better, for Microsoft to release a basic package and have free supported downloads for the programs that you want to use. Ok that does sound a bit like Linux et cetera, I suspose?.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:39 am »

Possibly the wrong place for this:-

I think that Microsoft, have got use to being "Nanny knows best" when it comes OS. They want you to have what they think that you should have, not what you want.

Surely it would be better, for Microsoft to release a basic package and have free supported downloads for the programs that you want to use. Ok that does sound a bit like Linux et cetera, I suspose?.

Thge problem with Linux, admittedly, is that it is based on a very poor business model.  In lInux the obly thing that can be sold as proprietary is the support for the operating system, because the operatimg system itself, as well as a myriad of applications/programs must be made available for free to the regular user (in the free definition of the GPL / open source type agreements).

Therefore the nannification of an OS is based on how greedy a company is over its intellectual property.  Windows is used to selling you the expensive software and providing support just to fix problems and facilitate distribution.  Linux distros depend on the customer support for subsistence, so tgere is much less money involved.  The advantage for Linux users is that is that the Linux companies' interest is for Linux to continue releasing new versions as often as possible, and it doesn't matter if the OS is renewed for free "on the fly" while you surf the web (literally).
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »

The terms of GPL allow for the software to be "sold", but require that it be under the same license allowing redistribution.  Back in the days before broadband internet there were outfits that did just that, essentially charging for the packaging and distribution.  Instead of taking days to download software, pay a few dollars and get a CD in the mail.  These days distribution by network is so cheap that paid linux distributions need some other value added.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2015, 02:35:32 pm »

A question on Windows 8.1 security.

Windows 7 and earlier can use Microsofts Security Essentials.  I have found this to be very effective.  Windows 8.1 has abandoned this?  Part of it is built in, but a new PC comes with McAfee anti virus?

Any input on the best approach for anti virus on Windows 8.1?

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2015, 12:16:26 am »

Yes - get a Mac!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: