The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:58:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 12885 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:46 am »

Any early adopters out there?  What are your thoughts on Windows 8?  I have only taken a glance at it in Best Buys and first impression is not too good, but I need a lot more information.  Any input?  Thanks!

Wisconsin Platt
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:05:50 am »

Takes some getting used to, but overall not too bad.

I'm no Metro fan (the new UI) but on a tablet I could see it working nice

I stay on the desktop all day at work and once you get used to a couple of new keyboard shortcuts, I'm fine.

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:28:57 am »

from what i have seen..... tit looks really clunky.

Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:21:38 pm »

TIT looks really clunky? Freudian slip of the tongue?  Wink

I haven't worked with it, but for what I've seen, it seems to be going a bit towards smart phone setup. Square buttons and scrolling rather than small icons.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:09:49 pm »

TIT looks really clunky? Freudian slip of the tongue?  Wink

I haven't worked with it, but for what I've seen, it seems to be going a bit towards smart phone setup. Square buttons and scrolling rather than small icons.

The fumes of the ginger beer might of had some effect there....
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:52 pm »

Now I'm a bit set in my ways, so please do take this with a pinch of salt BUT.....

I hate it. Really really hate it. It works well (nay, very well!) on a touch screen, but on a computer or laptop? Bah. I tried a few iterations of the free beta they did, and couldn't stand any of them, and I've since tested the release version and its no better. I can't quite pin down what specifically throws me off, but it just feels too messy for my tastes. I'll be sticking with 7 until either someone mods the hell out of 8 and makes it work for me, or they release another version that is a windows OS, not windows phone OS :/

Still, I have heard several people really do get on with it, so it might just be the way I use a computer personally. I don't think you can still get the free beta versions, but with a little internet prodding you might be able to come up with one to play with and see if you like it.
~Longeye~
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »

It's a good thing one has a dual boot machine with windows Xp ( yup) and Linux Ubuntu.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:02:36 pm »

You can use whatever you want, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I think it's the Charms. With a mouse you often unintentionally activate them when you touch the right side of the screen. Definitely made for the use of a touch screen.
I have seen it on a touch screen, but I could imagine it's not ideal for mouse users.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »

Well I haven't had a play with it yet, but from what I know of it, I don't think it will work too well on an actual computer (a view it seems I'm not alone in), a mean a tablet or touch screen maybe, but keyboard and mouse, nah. I'll stick to 7 and Xp (for now)

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Ulysses Reynolds
Zeppelin Captain

Just keep on flying.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 04:34:13 pm »

Not to big a fan of it, I'll stick with using Crunchbang.

There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Definitely seems to be aimed at using on a phone or tablet.  Just seems wrong for a desktop or laptop.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

It's a good thing one has a dual boot machine with windows Xp ( yup) and Linux Ubuntu.

Which Ubu?  I have stuck to no higher than Ubu 10, precisely because of that (Unity Desktop). You are aware that the later versions of Ubuntu also are very tablet oriented, right? The decision was made long ago (as far back as 2009!!) that Ubuintu would be more tablet oriented, just leaving Kubuntu (KDE environment)with that "windows style" desktop.

Honestly Ubu 9 was the most polished of all.  After 9 they has a serious bug in the kernel of Ubu 10 and 11 that causes some AMD CPU's to momentarily freeze when playing video - very annoying.  Only way to get rid of it was top either downgrade the kernel or look at another branch (recompiling), neither of which I had the patience to do.

I've been trying to migrate from Ubu 10 to 12, and I think I just have to "bite the bullet" and force myself to "like" Win8 and Ubu12.  Or experiment with Kubuntu 12 -which I've had some problems the last time I tried it... It's just the way software writers are going...

When I have the cash, I'd like to buy an MS Surface Pro and have dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12, or Kubuntu 12....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:31:37 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

GarethG
Zeppelin Overlord
Wales Wales

Wyrd bið ful aræd

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »

Anybody else feel that Windows alternates between good and bad editions? Like Windows 3.1 was good, Windows 95 was ok, '98 (SE2) was good, Millenium Edition was bleargh, XP was good, Vista was bleargh, Windows 7 was good...,

Now I've used all except Vista and Windows 8, so I can't comment on those. Also, I'm speaking as a casual, recreational computer user who currently does most of his computing on an Apple Mac Mini, so I'm sure there are people here on the forum who are far more qualified to talk about it so I'm going to throw it out to you all to comment.

Gareth.

You, sir! Make an effort!
elShoggotho
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »

Won't use any Windows version before the first service pack is out. Windows editions work like George Lucas trilogies: don't try the even numbers.
michikade
Deck Hand

I was born, then some stuff happened.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »

Personally not a big fan.  I suppose it'd be fine on a tablet but I'm pretty happy with 7 and am not that interested in rearranging everything on my laptop.

I used to have 7 / Ubuntu dual boot on my old laptop.  I actually prefer Ubuntu in many ways but sadly, Windows is necessary for a few work applications so I haven't gotten around to setting up my dual boot on my new laptop.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »

Honest review by a drunk -actually computer literate, but drunk - user. The brutality in her honesty is what all of us really want to say to Microsoft but are too embarrassed to say in front of other users for fear of appearing to be "dumb."

Windows 8: Operating Under the Influence

Actually I now believe every one should have at least 8 shots of tequila before reviewing a product - it brings out the truth!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 01:27:25 pm »

Lol, a recalcitrant labyrinth ay? try saying that ten times fast on tequila.

Yeah I kind of felt the same about Windows 7 which I've been happily using for a while now (although certainly not without some continuing problems) I've come to hate these constant updates which seem to bugger things up a little more every time. I am aware you can really set it up for your preferences with a bit of time and patience. I'm going to assume it's the same with 8, but still it doesn't seem particularly intuitive.

Also the whole touch screen thing is an unknown quantity to me personally. My phone is an antique and again health issues with dexterity simply don't allow for it. Apparently my Macbook is also touch screen capable but I don't think Apple have released the software for it, preferring to concentrate on their damn phones and tablets. Anyway personally I'll be sticking with Windows 7, as I may just about have it figured out by the time 9 comes along.  Cheesy

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:25 pm »

I love it, I've used it on my laptop for a couple of months and now I'm using it on my desktop. The apps are really nice, and stuff loads really quickly, plus the entire OS boots super fast in comparison to 7. Both times I installed over the existing system and have had very few compatibility issues (although there have been a couple, nothing like the issues arising with the trainwreck that is Vista)

There is a lack of customisation as far as the start menu is concerned, for a fullscreen interface I'd expect full customisation options, but you can select from a range of colours and background images, so it's kinda nice.

I think the best thing about the new interface is it's actually unobtrusive, you can hit the winkey while playing a game fullscreen and it works as an overlay, without disrupting the game. So if you want to check your email quickly while playing a game fullscreen, you don't have to alt+tab out and back in only to find your game's crashed. The app store is really nice too, it brings the convenience of mobile app stores to the windows desktop, though it's still possible to install things manually on the desktop too.

It can be frustrating for the first 30 minutes but then it's pretty straightforward. Alt+F4 still works to close apps, alt+tab switches between them, and you can always press the windows key to pull you back to the start menu. The sidebar works really nicely to shortcut between the desktop and new interface.

The main problem that users will have is that things are in different places. It's not that you can't find them, it's that you need to look for them in the first place. If you want to shut down the machine you have to do it from the settings menu, but that's on the charm bar so it's not that difficult to find.

The only major peeve I have is that explorer isn't as intuitive as it was, and there's no image previews when you single click an image in list/detail view.

Overall it's a crisp, clean interface and a nice new look at Windows. I highly recommend the haters try it for a couple of days, I hated it when I saw it, but when I used it it all came together beautifully and now I won't look back.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 02:35:32 am »

Dreamhazard and anyone else:

How about compatibility with old windows programs.  I have a program written for Windows 95.  Runs fine in XP, didn't run in Vista, runs fine in Windows 7.  What are the chances that it will work in Windows 8?   Thanks.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 03:07:01 am »

I'm running a few old Windows 95 programs on Linux Ubuntu using Wine  Grin
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 03:44:43 am »

Maets: What does it do? I've not tried a Win95 program since Win95 so couldn't really tell you. It's worked on win98 compatible games so far though, so it's anyone's guess.

That said, Vista was a compatibility trainwreck, 8 seems a lot better.

In fact, I'll have a look around the abandonware archives and see if there's any Win95 games I can test for you.

EDIT: Tried Cannon Fodder, it popped up a warning saying "This software will not run on your machine" or some such. You can always use a virtual machine or emulator such as DOSBox though, might help you out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:46:43 am by DreamHazard » Logged
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 11:52:10 am »

Which Ubu?  I have stuck to no higher than Ubu 10, precisely because of that (Unity Desktop). You are aware that the later versions of Ubuntu also are very tablet oriented, right? The decision was made long ago (as far back as 2009!!) that Ubuintu would be more tablet oriented, just leaving Kubuntu (KDE environment)with that "windows style" desktop.

Honestly Ubu 9 was the most polished of all.  After 9 they has a serious bug in the kernel of Ubu 10 and 11 that causes some AMD CPU's to momentarily freeze when playing video - very annoying.  Only way to get rid of it was top either downgrade the kernel or look at another branch (recompiling), neither of which I had the patience to do.

I've been trying to migrate from Ubu 10 to 12, and I think I just have to "bite the bullet" and force myself to "like" Win8 and Ubu12.  Or experiment with Kubuntu 12 -which I've had some problems the last time I tried it... It's just the way software writers are going...

When I have the cash, I'd like to buy an MS Surface Pro and have dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12, or Kubuntu 12....

sorry for the late reply on this one... using V.12...... hasnt frozen up my amd chip so far!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »

DreamHazard - The program is Lotus Approach. A database.  Could never get it to run in Vista, but otherwise if runs fine in most other versions. 

Thanks
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:29 am »

Last time I checked, Ubuntu was just repackaged Debian. What about trying Debian with Gnome? (Or maybe just wait for somebody to fork off Gnubuntu…)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 06:49:40 am »

Last time I checked, Ubuntu was just repackaged Debian. What about trying Debian with Gnome? (Or maybe just wait for somebody to fork off Gnubuntu…)

I've used Debian before, but that was some time back.  Gnubuntu  Grin.  I think I will stick with Kubuntu 12.  I already have a second hard drive at hand loaded with Kubuntu, but I'm waaay to busy and even more lazy... but I have to do it.

sorry for the late reply on this one... using V.12...... hasnt frozen up my amd chip so far!

Good to hear, because lately I've been streaming TV and it's driving me insane.  Can't believe they let v.10 and v.11 go without fixing that bug
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: