The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2020, 01:59:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Invasion of the Maryland Renaissance Faire!  (Read 4719 times)
corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:24 am »

I am planning a full blown invasion of the Maryland Renaissance Faire for the second to last day, October 20!  I am going to use my connections on the Eastern Shore to get as many steampunks as humanly possible to converge on this day.  I'm hoping that we can bring in patrons from all of the surrounding areas to make some noise!  The patrons and shop owners love us coming and I could even arrange a photo-shoot with a phenomenal photographer. Let me know what you think! http://rennfest.com/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:39:53 am by corsetsandcogs » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:54:17 am »

Sounds like fun.  It that the best date for such a meet up?

corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:02:23 am »

I went with that date due to the fact that that is when it happened last year (but not many people attended) and also a wonderful photographer Ken Morril will be there that day.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:41:14 am »

Part of the problem with the last day is that people will be showing up in basically Halloween costumes from witches to spiderman, from clowns to animals.  You risk being just part of a Halloween crowd, instead of standing out as steampunks.  Just a thought.  I really don't know what makes the most sense.
corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:03:26 am »

hmm....let me look into and see if perhaps another day would be better...that is a great point you bring up. I honestly have never been the last day(I went the second to last day out of confusion last year) so let me get up with a couple patrons who would know and I'll get back to you on the date.
corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:41 am »

Turns out Maets was spot on! I think the best day is going to be the second to last day, the 20th.  That should work out well, and we will no doubt stand out! I modified the original post to match this information, I'm not sure if we'll still be able to hook up with the photographer I originally had in mind.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:42:31 am by corsetsandcogs » Logged
Anastacia
Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:23 am »

I'm interested!

I enjoy going towards the end of the event, because of the variety of costumes. I believe the last time I went that late, I found a gentleman wearing one of those impressive Boba Fett costumes--voice modulator and all. I was hesitant about attending in my steampunk outfit any earlier than than, because Victorian era ≠ Renaissance era. Not that that's stopped anyone, I suppose.
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:37 am »

Nor should it stop anyone.  For starters, if they have paying customers walking around in 21st century clothing and gagetry, it should be technically less offensive to have paying customers walking around in 19th century clothing and gagetry.  But who exactly says 19th century?  I consider the two groups compatible, due to both Leonardo da Vinci and others like him representing the opportunity of a steampunk rennaissance, and since two vastly different civilizations often have mixed, like the Victorian occidentals meeting the feudal Japanese (and how interesting THAT was).

Go.  Go in gear.  Have a blast!
Dman
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Angus MacKay Gentleman of Adventure

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 05:48:43 am »

I believe the Kansas City Ren Fest is having an actual Steampunk day on the 15th and 16th of this month, sadly mine won't be finished by then, but will try to see if I can get some pics that Sunday....

corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:04 am »

I'm glad to see interest!  I went towards the beginning of the faire and at the end last year, and both times my lady-friend and I were met with smiles, laughter, and a little bit of free booze!  Also, there is a small steampunk movement amongst the vendors, with many of the selling brass and copper pieces that incorporate gears and other aspects of steampunk.
Swayback
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:52:19 pm »

I'll be there!  I went over Labor Day weekend and had a pretty good time, wouldn't mind going again.

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:26:30 am »

Still on for the 20th?

We might just make it!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:58:11 pm »

On what ever day you go, stop by  Iron Antler Forge.  Dan Stuart is taking pictures of Steampunks.  Check it out.
He tells me every weekend there are a number of people dressed as steampunks.  He thinks that this coming weekend may be a big one for such time travellers.
corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:48:46 am »

We are still all systems go for the 20th!  Ah the gents at Iron Antler, are always most kind to us!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

Hoping to see lots of Brass Goggle Steampunks this Saturday!  I'll be wearing a rocket pack and a bowler. See you there!
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 05:13:24 pm »

I shall be in my steampunk plague doctor mask ... If anyone spots me, stop and say hi...

corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:07:18 am »

Shall we set up a meeting point? Say the Dragon Inn at 2pm?  I'll be there with my tophat and rivet gun!  I'll also be there Sunday if anybody happens to stay for both days or only come on the last day.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:42 am »

Great meeting a few of you today.  Hopefully a few of the people taking pictures will email them so they can be posted for all to see.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:53 am »

One of the Ren Faire goes emailed me these pictures.

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »

Indeed, a most excellent day!

I won't be able to post pictures until we return to the Lair; but I am certain there are a lot of pictures of me out there now.  I must have really hit just the right note, because people were stopping me left and right, some to take pictures, some to compliment me on my outfit.  I must say I was more than a bit chuffed; I am not used to that sort of thing.  They all seemed to need to put me in a pigeonhole, though; I was called Captain Spaulding (good reference there), Jumanji (a reference to the big game hunter in the movie), "Admiral" Huh, and the best - "the very model of a modern Major General".

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Chas.
corsetsandcogs
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:25:47 am »

I am certain there are a lot of pictures of me out there now.  I must have really hit just the right note, because people were stopping me left and right, some to take pictures, some to compliment me on my outfit. 

I couldn't agree more!  It was a pleasure to meet up with Maets, That's me next to him in those pictures!  I also got photographed at Iron Antler Forge for his Steampunk card game.  A great day indeed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: