The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2020, 01:40:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midtown Scholar Meetup  (Read 1705 times)
Dime
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »

Ok, I looked, but didn't see a post for this, so I'm gunna throw it out there and hope I'm not being redundant.

In Harrisburg, right near where I live, there's an awesome bookstore called the Midtown Scholar. They have a steampunk event listed in their events, and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on going. It's on the 25th at 4:00 PM (16:00 for those who prefer), so it's a bit short notice, but I only just found out myself. My sister is going back to college that day, but we're trying to arrange it so I'll be home in time to go. But since I'd be on my own (or maybe with my mom) I was wondering if there'd be a friendly face to find. Any PA people planning on attending?
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:58:49 am »

I'm a huge fan of the Midtown Scholar and live not too far South of Harrisburg. I wish they had posted more information about the event.

The Website Lists the Event thus:
Sat 8/25, 4:00pm: Steampunk Event Meet the authors, artists and artisans of this growing genre.

It doesn't appear to be listed on their Facebook page. I wonder who the authors/artists in attendance will be. Given that it's Harrisburg, I suspect that we might get to see the likes of Brute Force Studios and Lady Clankington.

I've sent an email to the shop asking for more details about who will be presenting and what kind of event it'll be, and if costumes are welcome. I'll see if I can make it down there. Could be fun. Smiley

Here's a link to the bookstore website: http://www.midtownscholar.com/

It really is an astonishingly beautiful store, with a particularly vast and mouthwatering array of Art books. The shop itself occupies a beautifully restored and remodeled vintage movie theatre and adjoining historical storefront. Definitely worth a look for bibliophiles of all stripes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:14:48 am by Madame Curatrix » Logged
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »

I just received a response from the manager of the Midtown Scholar.

She says that the event, which will start at 4:00 PM, will feature a panel of 5 authors/artisans who will host a discussion and also display their creations. She didn't have more specific information available about exactly who these speakers will be, but she did say that costumes are encouraged. Smiley

Hope that helps! I'm still not sure if I can make it, but would love to.

PS - Found an Event Page over at Steampunk Empire: http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/events/steampunk-extravaganza-with-authors-artists-and-artisans-the with information about panelists and more.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:33:52 pm by Madame Curatrix » Logged
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:39:26 am »

Oh, thank you! You really went above and beyond what I was hoping for in a response. I'm definitely checking out the link you posted.
Unfortunately the flyer I picked up didn't give any more information than the website does. Despite the lack of information, I'm very excited about this event. I couldn't think of a better place to host it than in a bookstore/tea room.

Much as I would love to go in costume, I don't really have one put together that would be acceptable for hauling boxes in. I'll probably just wear my great-grandfather's hat and a pocket watch. If I can find a good shirt and pair of pants, I'll do my best, but on my limited time schedule, it's going to be difficult.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:06 am »

It was a great event for beginners.  During the Q/A I was half tempted to ask, "hey do you all want to chill later?"  I spent the bulk of my time there looking for psychology and law books to handle the situation I posted in the GAH section.  I did however wet my friend's appetite on steampunk...even though he has heard me say the bulk of the things mentioned for what probably totals to days worth of lectures.  Haha. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:07:40 pm »

You were there? I wish I would have known! Though, considering I walked in more than forty five minutes late, I probably couldn't have made much use of the information. What did they cover in the first half of the event?

I would have made it on time, but my directions home were screwy, and I got lost for what equated to about the forty minutes that I was absent for. Plus, I had to stop at a road side stand for corn. I'm really kinda bummed that I missed so much of it, though I guess I should be glad I could get any of it! I really thought I was going to miss the whole thing.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:26 pm »

Summary of the event?  How many attended?  Dressed as steampunks or not?  Quality of the talk? 
Thanks!

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:22:24 am »

Yikes, sorry I haven't been on much.  Haha. 

Quite a few good discussions between the panel members, again though most of the actual information was probably better suited to "beginners" in the world of steampunk.  The first part of the discussions were the usual "what got you into steampunk?" etc. questions.  "How do you come up with gadgets?"  I spent the bulk of that part writing a letter to my (ex....on a break....) fiance, and then got more intrigued by the discussion of "serious issues" in steampunk literature.  (Considering I wrote a screen play based on a politicized war, class struggle, mental institutions, women's rights, etc, I was quite interested to hear what had to be said.) 

As for dressing up, I was actually dressed as one of my characters from the said screenplay because I felt rather, in character just by the circumstances of life.  I was wearing the green jacket with brass buttons, wide brimmed black hat, Confederate haversack, black leather gaiters, and boots.  My friend had an overcoat and a top hat.  Not too many others were dressed up other than the panel and their entourage. 
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

I do believe I saw you both! I wanted to comment on your outfits, but seeing as I am shy in person, and that there was free cake, I instead allowed myself to enter a different conversation. I believe I walked in right about when someone asked the ladies if they felt woman's rights were suppressed or encouraged in and among steampunk literature. But now you have me curious about your screen play. Care to share a little on that?

I doubt you noticed, but should you have seen the stray girl walk in, I was the slight, short thing that took a seat at a table a bit too tall for her. Didn't have very much time to dress up, but I did put on a pair of black pants that can almost pass for a skirt, sweet boots, and my great grandfather's hat.

On a different note, I'm taking my mom to go see the store in an hour or two, and plan on applying for a job there as soon as my reference gets back to me.

Oh, and Maets, didn't see your comment till I'd typed most of this reply. D.Oakes has given a very nice summary. I would say maybe two dozen or so people were there, though I may be off on that figure. I wasn't sure if the people at the tables in the back were paying attention or not. Not many were dressed for the event, though the few I did see were exceptional, and the talk had great quality. Or, the bits I was lucky enough to see were, did at least.

Forgive me if this seems rambling. Updating my resume at the same time.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:49:37 pm »

*Awkward moment*  Given the situation with my ex-on a break-complicated-fiance-girlfriend-common-law-wife I did not notice too many people of the feminine persuasion that night....but I did notice you, haha!   Grin  You were to my right if I was not mistaken, noticed the hat and the pants first.  Actually my first thought was, "she looks cool...not sure if she is into steampunk or not, but she looks like somebody who could spark interesting conversations." 

Well I am hoping to do a test run of it very soon, it is essentially
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 03:13:39 am »

Just as awkward a moment, it took me three days to realize I had a reply. I don't know where I put my head lately, but apparently it's not where I usually leave it.

Yes, I definitely was to the right. First free chair that I spotted, without having to go to the middle of the available chairs. I wasn't about to climb over legs in the middle of the panel. I doubt that would have counted for good manners!

Since we're discussing first thoughts, I believe mine ranged around something close to, "Awesome hats!....I feel so under dressed." I have a bit of a thing for hats, I just love them. Especially since they cover any bad hair days I have, something that comes only too often in the humidity. And since you've mentioned her a few times, I wish you the best with the situation with your lady, if luck should need to be wished.

A cliff hanger? How cruel! I expected at least another two sentences! Do I get any more information with this reply, or is that all the spoilers I get?
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:10 am »

Well, I am single now.  Haha.  Too much drama in my book.  Plenty of great writing ideas out of it, but the problem is, it actually felt like the script too much, and of course being a 19th century outlaw, the main character was able to handle things a lot better.  Of course he got shot in the face by a German soldier which caused him to have a fake eye, but still, the ending was happy...ish....well....he technically died.  I can say that and it not be a spoiler because the circumstances are what is important. 
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 04:24:39 am »

I believe our definitions of 'happy' are a tad bit different. I mean, I sorta wouldn't consider the end of a life happy, unless of course they were escaping from living their lives covered in bug bites. (ether the bugs are worse this year, or I need to go back to wearing pants in the summer, because these things are killing me!)....But as you said, it's the circumstances. So I'll take you word for it and consider it a happy ending!

Now here's a difficult question for a writer. (I find it difficult, at least) Who's your favorite character, and why?
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:31:58 am »

Like I said....circumstances.... Wink  Apparently Harrisburg is having a major flea infestation, I am kinda glad we missed that.  Victorian clothes plus fleas....quite authentic...but ewwwwww. 

I like archetypes.  Like either a very gloomy hero, like say Johnny Depp's character in From Hell, or a pure anti-hero like the one in my screenplay.  I don't like "prince charming" type heroes, I like heroes with a lot of dirt, and perhaps a few regrets. 
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 04:53:48 am »

Eww, fleas! Coming from a house with too many pets, I shutter at the word. If you've never had to spend an hour every day searching though squirming animals that would enjoy ripping your face off for what you're doing to them....don't try. I promise, it is not enjoyable.

Oh! From Hell! That was the first bloody movie I actually liked! Of course, I walked in on it half way though the movie, so maybe I just liked trying to catch up with the plot. I have such a low tolerance for blood on screen, it's not even funny. Reading, sure. No problem! Watching? Yeah...I'm gone.
Considering I'm of the female gender (in case you hadn't figured that out) I like my girly things occasionally, and admittedly that does include a prince charming. After all, isn't it every girl's dream to find her prince, or princess, charming? But it makes for such a much more interesting story when the hero isn't so typical. There's a reason highway robbers and bad boys are romanticized, and a reason they have such fantastic plots. I like them for the plot part best. A story just doesn't feel right if you can predict the ending before you're half way though the book.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:27 am »

I also work at a pet store....and was accosted by a kitten the other day.  It took two of us to try and bath him with the flea shampoo.  He actually scared me.  He dug his claws in dangerously deep.  I will probably have scars from it. 

Problem is, with my psychological understanding there is rarely a plot that I can not figure out.   I admit, sometimes I do have the mood for a really dry romantic comedy, haha.  It usually occurs when I walk into a female friend's place and she is watching some awful chick flick and I start out criticizing, but end up going, "NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!  GO WITH HIM!?"  Haha.  But I always need to go back to my dark psychological dramas/thrillers/mysteries/horrors eventually. 
Dime
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 05:16:26 am »

What pet store do you work at? A big chain brand, or a cute little side shop? I use to intern at a pet store when I was thirteen, though thankfully I never had to give the cats a bath! I had my share of the fun, though, especially when cleaning seven litter boxes in one go. I would have applied for a job there, but they closed down a few years ago. Makes it a bit hard to apply when they aren't there any more.

Thankfully that's not a problem I have. Of course, I might have that problem if I ever went to visit my friends. Considering they are scattered across the globe, however, it does make it a tad bit difficult to go for a nice visit. Do you watch movies often, or are you loyal to books?
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:06 am »

Blue Dog, over in Lemoyne, it is all organic, only get two days a week with my focus on my job at the National Civil War Museum. 

I like it all.  Any form of art, so long as it is well done I like.  Truthfully it is harder for me to get into a book.  If I finish a novel within a week, then it was a dang good one.  The last one I did that with was The Collector, by Fowles.  Of course I actually argued in my analysis that he had to have known somebody who was a kidnapper/serial killer because he got the psychological markers too right during a time when Behavioral Profiling was barely even thought of. 

As a painter, writer, cap-maker, art collector, reader, watcher, etc.....I like it all.  I prefer things that make me think. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: