The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 11:54:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pack your bags. The world has ended - Steampunk LEGOs  (Read 46283 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »

Ahh, I'm happy to be proven wrong. My impression was that they never made it past the prototype stage.

If it's the sort of thing that interests you, try:
http://www.luft46.com/
Not many of the designs on there actually flew, but there are hundreds of interesting ideas, many of which had some potential and were used in post war aircraft. There's also a great series of books "Luftwaffe secret projects" on the subject.
Lego wise, no Indiana Jones Zeppelin i'm afraid - I did look.
-Matt

I know that site well. Just as an aside, there's a fairly active community of Luft '46 scale model builders out there. Revell Germany produces a good number of kits of a lot of these subjects. And there are limited run resin kits of many more if you don't mind spending a bit of real money.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:23:06 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2012, 12:05:33 am »

I actually picked up an Arado AR (E) 555 Amerika Bomber from Revell on thursday, a fine, fine flying wing concept...

Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2012, 12:49:31 am »

I actually picked up an Arado AR (E) 555 Amerika Bomber from Revell on thursday, a fine, fine flying wing concept...

Funny, so did I - I also got the Horten/Gotha Go229; i'm going to kitbash the Indiana Jones flying wing.

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »

Funny, so did I - I also got the Horten/Gotha Go229; i'm going to kitbash the Indiana Jones flying wing.

Jeez small world. I've got a 555 on the shelf. Along with a Go229. I've loved that plane every since I flew it in LucasArts old Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe game back in the 90's.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2012, 01:31:56 pm »

Jeez small world. I've got a 555 on the shelf. Along with a Go229. I've loved that plane every since I flew it in LucasArts old Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe game back in the 90's.

He he- I've also got the old Dragon 1/48 scale GO229, and the 1/72 Revell version!

Funny, we seem to share very similar interests here!

Wink
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 01:45:28 am »

Its great isn't it? I blame it on the fact that my first grown up book as a child was an illustrated hardback on various Messerschmidt fighters. Turned me into a Luftwaffe/WW2 aerial combat fan early on. Smiley

I only have a dozen or so  models on the shelf these days. A mix or Sci-Fi spaceships and Axis aircraft. Nothing like the hundred or more I had cluttering up the house and upsetting my parents with back in my teen/pre-teen years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:41:35 am by Herbert West » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 04:02:59 am »

It always bothers me that parents got/get upset when their children build models or such things - they are NEVER 'clutter', nor should they be bothersome to parents. There are a lot worse things that kids can do than make models!!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

It always bothers me that parents got/get upset when their children build models or such things - they are NEVER 'clutter', nor should they be bothersome to parents. There are a lot worse things that kids can do than make models!!

My mum's obsession with tidying my bedroom as a kid resulted in most of my carefully constructed and painted models and figures being knocked on the floor or having delicate parts broken off them as she tried to dust them or around them.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:31 am »

Its very sad. How many millions of dollars have been lost when parents threw out valuable collections of comic books and baseball cards because their children were "Too old for that stuff."

Thankfully, these days parents know better. "Oh. I figured you didn't want those old toys. so I sold them on Ebay." Smiley
Delireus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 08:24:50 am »

Thankfully, these days parents know better. "Oh. I figured you didn't want those old toys. so I sold them on Ebay." Smiley

Hah! That's so funny. My future kids will never tire of their Legos, but that's because I'll commandeer them for myself! Probably the comics too. And gods help anyone who tries to sell them  Angry

Home is where the faire is
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2012, 09:57:04 am »

Its very sad. How many millions of dollars have been lost when parents threw out valuable collections of comic books and baseball cards because their children were "Too old for that stuff."

Too true..When I came home from college I was horrified (and more than a bit p!ssed off) to discover my mum had taken it upon herself to give the suitcase full of Lego I'd spent my whole childhood collecting..along with all my Action Man stuff(and I had everything!!!) to the child of one of her work colleagues. Her  defence being "what do you want that stuff for anyway? Aren't you a bit old for toys now?". She also took it upon herself to throw away   about 5 years  back issues of 200AD comic because they were 'cluttering up the cupboard'!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:54 am »

Its such a consistent story that it must be something hardwired into our parents generations brains.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:07 am »

My tea chest full of 'stuff' left in storage in the garage when I moved away to work was gone by the time I came home for my first visit! My stepmother threw it all out, including my School Certificate!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Ouch!

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 12:25:39 am »

Ah well, "It was only rubbish"!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:30 am »

Yup, lost all my 2000 ADs, which I'd been reading from the beginning. Plus all my copies of Action (eventually banned for excessive use of violence). Loads of other magazines comics and toys including original Star Wars mags and figures and my Space 1999 Eagle.  Cry

Oh and best of all two spaceman Smurfs which last I heard were worth well over a thousand pounds each (I had the full set). And of course loads of LEGO. Still not quite as upsetting as when my father handed in all his antique guns to the cops (i've never brought myself to explain to him what they were actually worth, some things are best left unsaid) but I digress.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »

The Countess and I and a couple of pals went along to Legoland last Saturday (or as I will now forever think of it...'Arm-and-a-Lego-land'..£40 per person entrance...£10 for a steak ciabata bap that would be £6 at the most in any decent gastro pub..). The queues on the rides were a nightmare so we gave them a miss (between 45 and 90 mins wait for a ride of three to five mins..) The whole place would be far more enjoyable if there wasn't so many kids there!! I personally really enjoyed the  Lego reproduction of various national and international landmarks in 'Miniland'.

However I was expecting the gift shop to have  all the stuff you don't usually find in toy stores..and I was disappointed to see the same old Star Wars/PotC/Indy type stuff. What the needed was stuff like this from the new Monster Hunters range...
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Swamp-Creature-9461;jsessionid=757qG19ATIeJ5jBh3nl9uw

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Mummy-9462

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Vampyre-Hearse-9464

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Vampyre-Castle-9468

Any fans of Mark Hodder's Burton And Swinbourne adventures  must be looking at the  vehicles in the first two links and be thinking "Oh there's definitely a 'Roto-Chair' in there just waiting to be built"

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:57:50 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »

I love you all, very, very much. That is all.

Kiss  Grin

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:38 am »

I just love that castle! All I ever wanted was a castle by the sea - sigh!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2012, 12:38:06 pm »

Hah! That's so funny. My future kids will never tire of their Legos, but that's because I'll commandeer them for myself! Probably the comics too. And gods help anyone who tries to sell them  Angry

No no no, you're doing it all wrong. You should just buy those things for yourself. And make it a privilege to earn to play with them. Privileges can be revoked easily you know, if they misbehave.. "What/ You don't want to clean your room? Fine! No more playing with MY lego!!"
Delireus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2012, 01:06:58 am »

No no no, you're doing it all wrong. You should just buy those things for yourself. And make it a privilege to earn to play with them. Privileges can be revoked easily you know, if they misbehave.. "What/ You don't want to clean your room? Fine! No more playing with MY lego!!"

An excellent idea! I happened around the toy section of Target the other day and sighed over the Legos there. I want the Queen Anne's Revenge ship sooo bad! It was $110 at the store, $120 online, and way too much for me right now. I also saw the new Lord of the Rings legos as well, the Shelob set is pretty cool.

I'll start saving up, and by the time I have kids, I should have a respectable collection to blackmail them with  Grin
legowizmaster
Swab

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:44 pm »

LEGO and Steampunk! Now that's some weird marriage... But seems like workin'... Maybe I'll grab meself a box and see how it goes!

Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

Looks like LEGO was listening:

http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/04/lego-master-builder-academy-level-4-coming/

Wink
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:03:32 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2013, 11:26:31 pm »

Grin Simply brilliant.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

Stick some Lego on it and call it Steampunk?

But to be honest, if Sideshow toys came out with a 12", poseable, Isambard Kingdom Brunel doll I would be first in the queue. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: