The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 10:29:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pack your bags. The world has ended - Steampunk LEGOs  (Read 46281 times)
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »

lego you say...........

Hmm in some ways its very sad that every few years Lego has to "evolve" into something new, when I was a nipper we had basic blocks, wheels etc and half of the fun was the imagination that went with building things.

Then came the "big" breakthrough with Lego Technic, now that was a whole quantum leap forward, being able to build industrial machinery (fork lifts, bulldozers and the like)

I look at the lego that my kids play with today, and, its a gazillion miles away from where I began (yes I still enjoy playing with "the pile"), the creations are evermore fantastical than they were 30 years ago, but the fun stays the same!

Shame about the constant re-branding though!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2013, 10:08:57 pm »

But to be honest, if Sideshow toys came out with a 12", poseable, Isambard Kingdom Brunel doll I would be first in the queue. Smiley
Of course, the Brunel figure would actually only be about 10", although I suppose the hat would probably make up the difference. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:35 pm »

I have bookmarked the page, & will investigate in July - steampunk Lego = bliss!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:45 pm »

lego you say...........

Hmm in some ways its very sad that every few years Lego has to "evolve" into something new, when I was a nipper we had basic blocks, wheels etc and half of the fun was the imagination that went with building things.

Then came the "big" breakthrough with Lego Technic, now that was a whole quantum leap forward, being able to build industrial machinery (fork lifts, bulldozers and the like)

I look at the lego that my kids play with today, and, its a gazillion miles away from where I began (yes I still enjoy playing with "the pile"), the creations are evermore fantastical than they were 30 years ago, but the fun stays the same!

Shame about the constant re-branding though!

My dear sir, it seems you are not a VIP lego member or sagacious in the noble arts of the picking of the brick!
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme?_requestid=320620

These things are marvelous in our eyes, (currently designing a table top micro scale lego based space battle system).

I may have to become a master builder now at the tender age of 37. Blast, there goes my credibility.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:42:59 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »

if Sideshow toys came out with a 12", poseable, Isambard Kingdom Brunel doll I would be first in the queue

Alas not poseable but quite cool...or should that be 'quite coal'. 5 and 1/2 inches high and crafted from British Coal!

On Ebay currently with a price of £6.99

Failing that, Royal Doulton do a limited edition, hand painted 12.5" figure of IKB. Yours for a mere £456

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Kat
Deck Hand
Gravatar

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2013, 05:14:13 am »

Definitely some steampunk infusion there.  Shows how it's starting to become more integrated into main stream culture.  While I probably won't be buying any I'm not at all against it.  Let me know when Legoland makes a Steampunk land to match.  Then I might be interested.

A steampunk webcomic about life, death, and lack there of: Perpetual Flux
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:56 pm »

The Lego Lone Ranger stuff toys have just hit:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/theloneranger?icmp=COUSFR34TheLoneRanger
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 03:14:48 am »

The Lego Lone Ranger stuff toys have just hit:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/theloneranger?icmp=COUSFR34TheLoneRanger

I haven't seen the movie but I take it from one of the figures there is a rather steampunkinsh looking Gatling gun...

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:20 am »

Cool bananas!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 12:34:58 pm »

Lego gatling gun indeed! that's just 3 binoculars slapped on a barrel!

This is where you get your illegal ordinance sir!

http://www.brickarms.com/
http://www.brickrepublic.com/servlet/the-Brickarms-Weapons-Packs/Categories
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »

What happened to the limited brick shapes and imagination? It looks like nowadays building with Lego is just slapping pre-shaped forms together. One-use-only-bricks and imagine-less forms seems the norm.
I like the 3 binoculars on a barrel gun rather than the brickarms weapons.

I've got a big Lego stash at my parents place. Safely stored for the time our daughter is older, so I... ehr, I mean she... can play with it. For the time being I've got a virtual limitless Lego collection. It's called Lego Digital Designer. For regular Lego, Lego Technics and Lego Mindstorms. The sky it the limit! Actually, the computer is the limit. As the creation gets bigger, the computer gets slower. It used to be for ordering a custom amount of bricks, but they stopped that option. The files are not compatible, but with a converter it can be used in a 3d rendering program.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2013, 03:52:00 pm »

Well that is where you start, it is not however where you finish. My daughter started with simple blocks, then she obtained some monster fighters.
Lego is not about stasis, its lesson is the antithesis of that. From simplicity to the complex. From duplo to lego blocks to twiddly rods to technic to mindstorms.

From there, BEYOND lego. Chainmaille IS lego, brick work and concrete IS lego, Electrical rewiring and electronics IS lego, hardware computer maintenance IS lego. needle work, knitting and croquet IS lego On and on and on. Know the system the act becomes easy.

Simplicity has its place but to assume that's all lego is, is to (in my opinion) underestimate it. Lego is a mind set, a way of looking at the world. A world of simple bits put together to make a complex whole.

Other sites? Just add another a small step on what CAN be done. Lego opens the world, to say others making lego bits some how dilutes it, is difficult for me to understand, give the advancement inherent in the system. Still, please let us debate the matter at length...... If you disagree. It's quite possible I've missed your point and we are generally agreeing.

On a slightly more camaraderie enhancing note, I do enjoy the digital building programs. I do try to limit myself however to the bits and pieces I can obtain from the spares service. That way I stand a chance of making the the things I design. It's a different kind of "limited building" but I like you, do so enjoy the challenge. Also, to make something that no one has a chance of ever building rather defeats the point. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:02:50 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

I think we're on the same page here, Clym Angus. Lego is a way of thinking. Brick upon brick upon brick, creating something far more complex than the individual brick. It allows you to chop up a whole in simple parts. With that mindset, you can build everything. Within the Lego realm as well as in the real world.

I just don't like the Starwars, Harry Potter or Hobbit Lego sets. It leaves out a part of imagining things.

The Lego Digital Designer has an annoying flaw. The wheels and axle selection. If you choose a wheel you have to fiddle thru all the axle types to find one that fits. (Unless there is some kind of system in there, wich I couldn't find)
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2013, 02:06:16 pm »

Ah ha, but that's part of the creative element!! When you have teh pile, and your build area setup, scavenging becomes obligatory, sometimes you have to trade with others, that's where the fun begins and a whole new story begins!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 05:16:42 pm »

Impressive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imaginebrickzone/sets/72157634090816686/with/9027138806/

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

Wow! That LEGO  cat is impressive! Looks very realistic!
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »

That is impressive indeed!

I just re-read this thread and I've seen a lot of "piles" of Lego. As a kid, I also had a pile, but some of my playmates had an organised system. Filed by form, color, function. Who's a piler and who's a organiser?

I've made a Steampunk vehicle with the Lego Digital Designer. I can export it to a picture, but it's low quality. Perhaps later today I might post a picture here.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »

Deffo a pile builder, that's half the fun, searching for the exact part, but finding many others along the way!!
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2013, 05:58:04 pm »

Most of the organised friends used the original building instructions that came with the boxes. Not a lot of creativity there.

Here's the car I was talking about:

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2013, 11:00:42 pm »

Pile all the way!! Even better if ou just start putting stuff together randomly and only half-way through the build you decide on what it should look like when it's finished!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2013, 11:39:13 am »

Yet more Lego-y awesomeness.

LEGO Steampunk Walking Ship (Strandbeest)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2013, 11:02:18 pm »

Now that is fantastic!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2013, 02:50:35 am »

Now that is fantastic!

I agree wholeheartedly!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:01 am »

Great fun!

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2013, 06:58:01 am »

I've had a little bit of time to waste:

Steampunk Rabbit Hunt

(not so) Steampunk sports car.

I'm starting to get the hang of this program. I'm afraid there are going to be more pictures to come.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: