The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 24, 2017, 05:11:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brewers' Guild  (Read 20680 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #275 on: November 12, 2016, 12:29:44 am »

Looks like you are going to spend the next year pretty-well sloshed!

Well, we can but hope, especially given the news so far this year.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #276 on: November 12, 2016, 05:35:13 am »

Hasn't been a very good year, so far, has it?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2016, 06:12:00 pm »

I fancy having a go at raspberry gin (making it, not drinking ... well, yes drinking it eventually of course), any pointers?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2016, 07:12:37 pm »

Only 2.

First use fresh raspberries (dried ones will work, but it's a good idea to soak them first).

The second is to use a decent gin. That's not to say you have to go out and spend something like £25+ on a bottle, but just don't use a brand you wouldn't normally be willing to drink (likewise if you're making any spirit infusion).
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #279 on: November 19, 2016, 08:19:33 pm »

Well I've been at it again. I've now got another batch of treacle ale on the go, and (thanks to getting some of my christmas shopping done) a bottle of Early Grey Gin.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2016, 02:59:14 am »

Totally forgot this place existed...

I currently have a mocha stout on the go. Second time making it, and hopefully have refined the recipe a bit. Also helping my dad with a scotch ale idea he had that uses strawberries and other funky stuff.

Broke both my hydrometers in one day though, that wasn't fun. Not that they're expensive mind you.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #281 on: December 03, 2016, 05:38:12 pm »

Well I've been back at it once more. I've got a batch of rose petal wine on the go, along with the fixings for some hop wine and honey beer.

I've also done another batch of treacle ale that I bottled earlier this week (its' not as strong as the last batch at at 6% rather than 8% but I prefer it since the flavour is better, and the bitterness of the treacle comes through more).
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2016, 07:33:09 am »

Ponder this: Dopplebock. Has anyone ever tried these German beers? Better yet, have any tried to brew it? Or it's close cousin Eisbock?
I'm drinking one called EKU 28. Truly wonderful stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2016, 02:39:37 pm »

Ponder this: Dopplebock. Has anyone ever tried these German beers? Better yet, have any tried to brew it? Or it's close cousin Eisbock?

I may have tried it before now but I can't say with any certainty that I have  (continental larger size are something of a guilty pleasure of mine).

Well ladies and germs my brewing continues. The herbal tea and rowan berry wines have both been bottled and are awaiting their final fate. The hop wine has been made and is fermenting though the honey beer has been postponed temporarily.
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2016, 04:58:39 am »

I may have tried it before now but I can't say with any certainty that I have  (continental larger size are something of a guilty pleasure of mine).

Well ladies and germs my brewing continues. The herbal tea and rowan berry wines have both been bottled and are awaiting their final fate. The hop wine has been made and is fermenting though the honey beer has been postponed temporarily.

You would remember it for being sweet. Bock has a very malty flavour, but the concentrated versions really kick up the sweetness tenfold (mind you, 100% of the sweetness comes from the malted barley grains)
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:22 am »

For all you lovers of the products of fermentation and microbial life...  Normally I wouldn’t be posting links to silly cartoons, but this particular anime I found by accident really is very funny and interesting in it's own quirky way. It's called Moyashimon (Tales of Agriculture), and is the story of an agricultural university student, who has an unusual ability: he's able to see all sorts of microbes, including bateria, viruses and mold, but not in real form, but rather he perceives them as tiny yet much larger than life creatures.

http://ww1.gogoanime.io/moyashimon-episode-1

The anime series is full of interesting facts about the useful products of fermentation, ranging from things I never heard of such as ancient Inuit fermentation of birds in seal carcasses, all the way through to the familiar foods and beverages we know as alcohol and chocolate. It's funny, cute and educational, in my opinion. It was popular enough to turn into a live drama TV series in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyasimon:_Tales_of_Agriculture
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2017, 02:01:49 am »

For all you lovers of the products of fermentation and microbial life...  Normally I wouldn’t be posting links to silly cartoons, but this particular anime I found by accident really is very funny and interesting in it's own quirky way. It's called Moyashimon (Tales of Agriculture), and is the story of an agricultural university student, who has an unusual ability: he's able to see all sorts of microbes, including bateria, viruses and mold, but not in real form, but rather he perceives them as tiny yet much larger than life creatures.

The anime series is full of interesting facts about the useful products of fermentation, ranging from things I never heard of such as ancient Inuit fermentation of birds in seal carcasses, all the way through to the familiar foods and beverages we know as alcohol and chocolate. It's funny, cute and educational, in my opinion. It was popular enough to turn into a live drama TV series in Japan.

I just binge-watched the whole thing. Cute.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:54 am »

The whole thing in one sitting? I don't have patience for that. Maybe 1/2.

The funniest part is Chapter 8  Grin

Anywho, right off the first episode they start giving you info. You can bet I won't be making Kiviak nor eating any Surströmming any time soon.  Grin

Moyashimon - Kiviak
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:43 am »

I just binge-watched the whole thing. Cute.

Well just in case if you want to binge again, I just saw the sequel "Moyashimon Returns" (another 22 episodes) this one has some details on wine...

http://ww1.gogoanime.io/moyashimon-returns-episode-1
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2017, 04:38:26 pm »

Well just in case if you want to binge again, I just saw the sequel "Moyashimon Returns" (another 22 episodes) this one has some details on wine...

http://ww1.gogoanime.io/moyashimon-returns-episode-1

Well, there goes my evening...
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:07 pm »

I can't believe I've forgotten to check in with my latest projects.

1. Whilst at my parents over christmas I made a couple of gallons of cyser (so as to keep in drink next year)
2. I bottled my pumpkin brew over the weekend, I've yet to properly taste that, but it's promising
3. I've racked all my other brews as well (including a batch of tea wine)
4. I've started a batch of tea and mint, and I've got the fixings to make some more Early Grey gin.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2017, 11:04:49 pm »

Well here's another update for you ladies and menfolk;

1. The pumpkin brew has been taste tested and although pleasantly sweet I have found that it doesn't agree with me.
2. My hop wine proved to be delicious (I will CERTAINLY be using this recipe again).
3. The tea wine was bottled earlier today.
4. The tea and mint has been racked twice now and is settling out.
5. I have also made some rose petal wine, which has turned out as rather a nice rose (again I will be looking to repeat this batch).
6. I've also had a go at making some 'nasty' cider (that is to say cider from apple juice as most commercial varieties are rather than apples as I have in the past given my own fondness for 'rough cider').

At the moment I have nothing else in the pipeline, but who knows? I'm taking a trip in a couple of weeks which may take me close to a nearby homebrew shop so I may call in and obtain some supplies.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »

Yes, I've been brewing again.

Since I last checked in I've tasted the tea and mint wine (which I think shall become another of my staple brews), and the 'nasty' cider which has lived up to expectations as cheap and nasty, but drinkable. I've also made a start on a few new brews.

Two of them are both experimental. The first is a batch of coffee wine, which may seem strange, since almost anyone who knows me will attest I CANNOT stand coffee (the closest I ever get to drinking it is the odd mug of 'Camp coffee;), but since tea wine doesn't taste particularly of tea (or at least it doesn't to me) I decided to give it a go for the sake of novelty.

The second is a batch of Gorse wine since, given the profusion of gorse bushes on the common near where I live it'd be rude not to. Now I''l admit when picked the flowers I found they had a pleasant aroma, but that doesn't seem to have translated into the must so we'll just have to see how that goes (I just hope it's worth the sunburn).

The other brews I have going at the minute are a batch of Parsnip wine (another spur of the moment brew since they were being sold off cheap in the local supermarket) which should be ready some time in the autumn, and to celebrate Easter, another batch of treacle ale.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2017, 03:16:57 pm »

The raspberry gin I started 5 months ago has turned out very well and drew appreciative gasps of delight from the friends who bravely offered to be taste-testers.  In fact one of them said I could just give her a bottle every year instead of birthday and Christmas presents.
I am now deciding which flavour to try my hand at next.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: