The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 28, 2017, 09:02:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brewers' Guild  (Read 19550 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »

Another update to my brewing projects. I've racked the grocer's red, the rhubarb is fermenting nicely, and I've just made a start on a batch of pineapple wine, with fingerprints intact as far as I can tell.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2014, 02:44:42 pm »

Just tried my home brew....3 tumblers and my spelling is getting bad !!! Must make more.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »

Just tried my home brew....3 tumblers and my spelling is getting bad !!! Must make more.

That's the spirit!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »

Already produced a strawberry vodka (didn't make the vodka, just saoked strawberries in it), and have a peach and apricot soaking in two mason jars. Will mix and bottle the, together when they're done.

Also have a small quantity of ginger vodka soaking. Tried some, and that stuff will open your eyes, whoo!

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »

What going on in here. There seems to be a lot of dust about. Has the cleaning lady not been through lately?

I thought I'd engage in a spot of thread based necromancy (as is my way) since I've been engaged in a spot of brewing today. I've bottled my latest batch of grocer's red (which I am looking forward to mulling over christmas), I've made a start on some potato wine.

And since this place was last frequented, I've made a couple of batches of apricot beer, 2 batches of cider (which I am also looking forward to mulling) and can report the Pineapple wine was delicious, and I intend to replicate it as soon as possible.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2014, 05:16:14 am »

What going on in here. There seems to be a lot of dust about. Has the cleaning lady not been through lately?

I thought I'd engage in a spot of thread based necromancy (as is my way) since I've been engaged in a spot of brewing today. I've bottled my latest batch of grocer's red (which I am looking forward to mulling over christmas), I've made a start on some potato wine.

And since this place was last frequented, I've made a couple of batches of apricot beer, 2 batches of cider (which I am also looking forward to mulling) and can report the Pineapple wine was delicious, and I intend to replicate it as soon as possible.

Just a thought, Mr. Masasasteamfish...  Pineapple Wine? Apricot Beer? With those brewing skills, have you thought of turning that into a business?  I'd say that would sell splendidly in the Colonies.

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2014, 09:51:49 am »

Just a thought, Mr. Masasasteamfish...  Pineapple Wine? Apricot Beer? With those brewing skills, have you thought of turning that into a business?  I'd say that would sell splendidly in the Colonies.

I'll admit I have thought about setting myself up as a small time brewer and country vinter, and I suppose they could sell quite well, but there are so many regulations to comply with for public health reasons when you're making consumables for public sale (and more for alcohol) and other things when running your own business that I have no idea about. I suppose if I could find someone who would be willing to go into partnership with me and deal with stuff like taxes and the like, leaving me to do the brewing it might be workable, but when I'm making for myself/close friends/family I'm willing to deal with inconsistencies that a consumer wouldn't.

The likeliest scenario for me doing my brewing commercially is if I were to buy/run a pub and kept a few bottles behind the bar for as a 'drinks special'.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2015, 11:05:08 pm »

I think I have achieved malolactic fermentation.  I decanted a large FV of cider from the 2013 apple harvest into demijohns before Christmas, and only then realised I was short of solid bungs.Anyway, I found two pressure relief bungs and used those on a couple of the demijohns including the last one which was only 2/3 full.  Both of the demijohns with the relief bungs have developed the typical white film I've seen in pictures of malolactic fermentation.  I think a tasting is called for at the weekend!  I may need to switch the remaining demijohns to airlocks.

Otherwise, nothing much fermenting at the moment.. although there's 1.5kg of pork belly currently curing its way towards becoming pancetta.

Homemade charcuterie, that's got to be steampunk?
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »

Anyone else out there? Hello?

I've not been doing that much in the way of brewing other than a batch of parsnip wine (a local supermarket was selling them off cheap) and a 2 gallon batch of my grocer's red.

Although I did have a question for the other members, I had a thought about making some maple syrup wine/beer (I needed some for a recipe and have some left over) and was wondering if anyone had attempted something similar or could give me a recipe (the closest I've been able to get is a recipe for birch sap wine).
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

Probably been asked before but I'm thinking of trying to make some mead this year.

Usually I follow The River Cottage recipes (a British television cooking show) for wine and liqueurs with mixed results

Does anyone have either an idiot proof recipe or one that they swear by? Thanks

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
von Corax
Spam Camper
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:03 am »

Although I did have a question for the other members, I had a thought about making some maple syrup wine/beer (I needed some for a recipe and have some left over) and was wondering if anyone had attempted something similar or could give me a recipe (the closest I've been able to get is a recipe for birch sap wine).

As I recall from rec.crafts.brewing, the consensus was to use pale malts with a light hop schedule, and try to use a medium syrup for optimal flavour. Dark syrup is likely to be a bit cloying, and light or fancy syrup won't stand up to the malt (although a light syrup might caramelize enough in the boil.) Don't even bother with raw maple sap, as it has nothing to it but a faint sweetness, unless you're prepared to reduce your wort by around 40:1 in the boil.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2015, 04:11:07 pm »

Dear Sir Aubreay

I have never made mead or indeed anything River cottage as, due to experience, unless it is approved by Wittow and/or the Turners it is not worth the risk.  Marion Wittow in her usual style says add sugar, yeast and water (she never measures anything). Mead is mentioned in the same paragraph as old boot wine, she makes wine with anything. So I am sure your favourite basic recipe will suffice but read the next paragraph in regard to the sugar element.

The Turners actually devote some space to mead referring to adjustments for different types of honey and additions. Their recipe uses clover honey. The gist is light honey for dry white mead and darker honey for sweet or spiced meads. They do say do NOT add sugar because honey is already 75% sugar. Use 3lb honey per gallon for dry or 4lb honey per gallon for sweet. "For fermentation to take place it is essential to add acid, tannin and yeast nutrient. They also say the honey should be sterilised and give 2 routes to do this.

The Turners also refer to sparkling mead by way of a secondary ferment with a champagne yeast.  My grandfather made a very heavy sweet mead but I doubt anyone has the recipe any more. It was very strong. Probably would be good with vanilla ice cream. He used Bearwood honey but I suspect his source has not been available for many years.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:18:42 pm by henrietta Devereux » Logged
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2015, 05:26:06 pm »

Probably been asked before but I'm thinking of trying to make some mead this year.

Usually I follow The River Cottage recipes (a British television cooking show) for wine and liqueurs with mixed results

Does anyone have either an idiot proof recipe or one that they swear by? Thanks

The method I use is fairly idiot proof, and has worked reasonably well for me. If I remember rightly (I'll check the details later) it's 5lb of honey (a mixture of light/dark and set/runny honey apparently works best) to make 1 gallon of mead. As to a method you dissolve the honey in boiling water, then make up the liquid up to a gallon and add yeast and leave it to ferment out, rack it then leave it to clear before bottling it then leave it for 9 months-1 year before drinking.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:19 am »

Pardon me for barging in again.  Today I picked a bottle of bramble/blackberry wine at my super.  I must say that it's rather interesting.  I also found this video on the aether web:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZZLEg6b_g
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »

Apologies for anyone who objects to this latest round of thread based necromancy here.

But having started brewing again after about a year's hiatus due to circumstances I thought I'd bring the thread back online and see if there's anyone else out there still brewing, or even just interested in the idea.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »

Well, after a day off work, and within a week of moving back with my brewing equipment, I've now got 2 batches of wine, and batch of treacle ale on the go.

I've shared the recipe for the treacle ale on here before, along with the herbal 'tea' wine. The other batch is an experimental brew of rowan berry wine.The rowan berry wine is due the fact that there's a patch of common ground near where I'm currently living where they grow in abundance. I had hoped to leave that one for a while, but given a recent frost I decided to go gather them before anyone else beat me to the punch, or the frosts got worse and killed them on the branch.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2016, 04:36:04 pm »

Well, both batches of wine are fermenting away nicely, and treacle ale has been bottled with an abv measurement of just over 8% (if I've done the calculations right).
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »

Does that mean you're having treacle ale on Bonfire Night instead of treacle toffee?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2016, 06:59:34 pm »

Well, probably if it lasts lat long.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2016, 11:46:51 am »

Another update, the treacle ale is ready to be drunk, (and is very nice, although the balance of flavours is slightly out) and based on my experiences so far I'd say I did the calculations right and the abv of 8.1% is accurate.

In other news, I've got a two gallon batch of cider, and have just made a start on an experimental batch of some (seasonal) pumpkin based fermenting going on (any prayers/offerings to Bacchus or other god of wine on my behalf would be very much appreciated).
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2016, 11:56:01 am »

Manufacturer mash of pumpkin? do I understand correctly? You can read more?

I started small, until the apples roam, that would turn into Apple cider vinegar.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:17 pm »

Manufacturer mash of pumpkin? do I understand correctly? You can read more?

Well the pumpkin brew isn't a mash or a beer as such. I've essentially used the method for Marrow 'Rum' that was previously discussed here (essentially I've hollowed out a pumpkin and filled it with sugar) and so I'm not sure how that will work out.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2016, 12:08:29 pm »

Another update on my projects. The pumpkin brew has moved onto its' second stage and I've racked both the herbal tea and rowan berry wine.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2016, 01:06:56 pm »

Well, my brewing has moved on another stage.

I've just made a start on some alcoholic ginger beer, the cider has been racked (and due to a shortage of demijohns, half of it's in a flagon ready to be sampled). And a spur of the moment decision has seen me start some raspberry vodka.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:45 pm »

Looks like you are going to spend the next year pretty-well sloshed!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: