The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2019, 01:15:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brewers' Guild  (Read 54348 times)
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2013, 07:50:56 pm »

Double post, sorry!

I just transferred the pumpkin brew from primary to secondary fermentation (and had myself a little taste test).

The gravity today was 1.007, giving it an estimated ABV of 6.3% at this point. I'll take another reading next week, when I rack the brew again after a little clarification.

Now, on to the important bits!
The aroma from the beer is absolutely mind-blowing. It smells like pumpkin pie, but with malt and hops. It also has a slight smell of alcohol, which I find rather pleasant. I know that sounds weird, but trust me on how amazing it is.
The coloration is very orange, but looks a little more yellow in the light. The clarity is decent at this point, but given another week or two it should be very nice!
Most important of all, it tastes amazing. It has a strong spicy front (meaning the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves hit your tongue first). Then comes the maltiness from the crystal 40. Then, the pumpkin really hits and drives all the flavors home.
It feels very smooth in your mouth, possibly even a bit slick. I suspect this comes from the insane amount of pumpkin (10 pounds!) that went into the wort. I think the slickness should dissipate a bit as it ages, but I guess we'll see.

EDIT (I just realized I never posted when I started the brew, and what my recipe was. See below. Apologies!)

I started this pumpkin ale last Wednesday, in order to have it drinkable by Halloween.

Pumpkin Spice Ale
Ingredients:
10 lbs canned pumpkin
1 lb 2-row malt
.5 lb crystal 40 malt
.5 lb malted wheat
3 lbs sparkling amber DME
3 lbs plain amber DME
1 cup brown sugar
1 oz Mt. Hood hops (60 minutes)
.5 oz Hallertauer hops (15 minutes)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp allspice
1.5 tsp nutmeg
0.5 tsp ground cloves
0.25 tsp ground ginger
Nottingham ale yeast

OG: 1.055
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:55:51 pm by Rev. Jade » Logged

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:41 pm »

Ooh sounds interesting. Main developments on the brewing front for me are:

1. Rice and raisin is on the go and fermenting nicely
2. Both gallons of mead have been bottled (I sort of needed the demijohns)
3. Strawberry wine has been racked again and is sat clarifying, as is the tea
4. Had another attempt at making 'ribena' wine
5. A complete spur of the moment decision has seen me make a start on another batch of rhubarb wine

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »

Ooh sounds interesting. Main developments on the brewing front for me are:

1. Rice and raisin is on the go and fermenting nicely
2. Both gallons of mead have been bottled (I sort of needed the demijohns)
3. Strawberry wine has been racked again and is sat clarifying, as is the tea
4. Had another attempt at making 'ribena' wine
5. A complete spur of the moment decision has seen me make a start on another batch of rhubarb wine

That sounds like a lot of stuff going all at once!
I don't think I'd be able to drink it all  Grin
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »

It is actually, and having finished my beer I'm looking into doing another spiced brew now the weather's changing.  But that said now I'm unemployed again i need something to fill my time with. However I'm going to be pacing myself,  and will probably be spending November teetotal to accommodate the probable Christmas binge.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:21 pm »

Some news today! (Though Madasasteamfish already knows these bits).

I kegged the pumpkin ale today, and snuck a taste (of course).
The ABV is holding steady at 6.3% ABV, which should make for a nice session beer.  Grin
The flavors all mellowed out a bit, particularly the spices.
Everything is blending very well together, and it's force carbonating and cooling as I type.
I'm very much looking forward to giving it a real go in a couple of days!

Also, I whipped up a quick batch of cherry mead using some ingredients that I had left over from the last batch (about a year ago; good thing it takes forever for cherry juice and honey to bad Roll Eyes)
I used 2.25 gallons of cherry juice, 9 lbs of honey, a packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast, and some water (to dissolve the honey in, in order to make it easier to mix).
The volume ended up being around 3.5 gallons, and the OG is 1.126.
We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks!

And some not so good news.
I managed to drop my 3.5 gallon glass carboy on the tile, and it shattered.
Luckily, there wasn't anything in it, but still.
Sad times!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2013, 09:41:33 am »

Well that sucks  Sad

Ah well, I suppose I should give an update on my brewing. I've racked the ribena wine, the mead is quite nice (I've had a sly drink or two of it), have bottled the tea wine, the rice and raisin is sat clarifying in the demijohn. I've also made a batch of elderberry wine using a tin kit, and making another batch of tea wine. Will probably start on the spiced brew this weekend.

Had to give up on the rhubarb since it started going moldy (think it was due to just having it in a pan rather than sealed properly.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2013, 06:44:48 am »

Oo I would love to get the spiced brew recipe from you!
That's too bad about the rhubarb though!
Why were you keeping it in a pan?
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2013, 01:50:05 pm »

I was using my jam pan I occasionally use for brewing because my 2 1/2 gallon bucket was full of the rice and raisin and the only other sealable container large enough to hold the rhubarb is my 5 gallon bucket which I thought to be excessively large, and I thought that I might need it sooner than I did.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:51:59 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2013, 12:11:33 am »

Apple pressing has started and there's little over 12 gallons of cider already started this week, still a lot of apples to put through the scratter-press.

I think I need a bigger bucket.  The FVs are certainly growing in number.. ..
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2013, 12:53:24 am »

I was using my jam pan I occasionally use for brewing because my 2 1/2 gallon bucket was full of the rice and raisin and the only other sealable container large enough to hold the rhubarb is my 5 gallon bucket which I thought to be excessively large, and I thought that I might need it sooner than I did.

Ah got it!
Yeah, I had to use my 6 gallon bucket for only 3.5 gallons of mead because I broke my carboy, but now I need to start a new batch of cider and I don't have anything to put it in!

Apple pressing has started and there's little over 12 gallons of cider already started this week, still a lot of apples to put through the scratter-press.

That is a lot of cider!
Kegging or bottling?
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »

That is a lot of cider!
Kegging or bottling?

Bottling, although I may leave it in secondary FVs for several months.  All the bottles are currently full of fresh apple juice (pasteurised, with vitamin C added to prevent oxidation).  It's not a lot when you look at it in the context of the year until the next harvest, for 2 of us to have just 1 pint per week each over a year is 104 pints - or 13 gallons.  And that's not an excessive consumption rate.  It is a lot of bottling though..
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »

That is a lot of cider!
Kegging or bottling?

Bottling, although I may leave it in secondary FVs for several months.  All the bottles are currently full of fresh apple juice (pasteurised, with vitamin C added to prevent oxidation).  It's not a lot when you look at it in the context of the year until the next harvest, for 2 of us to have just 1 pint per week each over a year is 104 pints - or 13 gallons.  And that's not an excessive consumption rate.  It is a lot of bottling though..

True, if you're only making it once a year then that does seem far more reasonable!
I tend to make a 5 gallon batch every couple of months, but that's also because most of my friends love it. Haha
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »

Made a start on the spiced brew on sunday. I would like to give you a recipe for it Rev. Jade, but there isn't one as such, since it's quite literally a malt extract kit (Wilko's own brand 'Hoppy Copper Bitter', since you ask) with a mix of spices (afraid I can't give you quantities beyond a bit of this, some of that, and a smidge of the other) added to the wort  before the yeast.
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:23 pm »

2 Demi johns if the professors ginger brau have been started.... As requested for when I head yo to southwold in December... ( glad it's a quick brew)..... Just have to sort out some limoncello or maybe some limecello....

Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:26 am »

Made a start on the spiced brew on sunday. I would like to give you a recipe for it Rev. Jade, but there isn't one as such, since it's quite literally a malt extract kit (Wilko's own brand 'Hoppy Copper Bitter', since you ask) with a mix of spices (afraid I can't give you quantities beyond a bit of this, some of that, and a smidge of the other) added to the wort  before the yeast.

Sometimes a malt extract kit is the best way to go!
Especially when you don't feel up to doing the math that goes along with sparging temperatures and all that kind of good stuff.
I always keep precise measurements of what I add, but I get really uptight about precision and stuff so that I can be repeatable.
It drives me crazy when I come across a recipe that someone has explicitly posted online that says "add some ____ spice."  Roll Eyes

2 Demi johns if the professors ginger brau have been started.... As requested for when I head yo to southwold in December... ( glad it's a quick brew)..... Just have to sort out some limoncello or maybe some limecello....

Can you explain to me the difference between ginger beer and ginger ale?
Is ginger beer actually alcoholic?
I do love limoncello, but I've never tried limecello.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

Usually 'traditional' ginger beer is alcoholic, but is so weak that the alcohol doesn't really make a difference (usually the abv is somewhere in the region of 0.5% or less). To my knowledge and own experience ginger ale is fizzier and has a smoother flavour.
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »

Usually 'traditional' ginger beer is alcoholic, but is so weak that the alcohol doesn't really make a difference (usually the abv is somewhere in the region of 0.5% or less). To my knowledge and own experience ginger ale is fizzier and has a smoother flavour.

as above..... but the ginger beer i have brewed previously is a bit stonger......

which reminds me will be making up the limon\limecello this week....
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »

FWIW, Crabbie's Original Ginger Beer (made with sucrose) is 4% abv, and Grand River's Tailset Ginger Ale (made with malt) is 4.5% abv.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2013, 05:17:27 am »

I would very much like to try an alcoholic ginger beer!
I'll have to be on the lookout for one.
So do you folks in the UK have "ginger ales" like Canada Dry? (i.e. non-alcoholic, carbonated soda)
Please excuse my ignorance Tongue
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:26 am »

Yes, we get Canada Dry and other brands of ginger ale, usually served as mixers in a cocktail or mixed long drink.

I'd always think of "ginger ale" as being the non-alcoholic mixer, but "ginger beer" could be a non-alcoholic mixer, or a very low alcohol home-made or an alcoholic home-made/commercial beer strength drink dependant upon the context the term was used in.  The term "ginger pop" is an older term, but would almost exclusively refer to a home-made beverage suitable for children - although like Kvass it might be very slightly alcoholic and culturally assumed to be non-alcoholic.  It all depends on where the fizz is coming from.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »

Then I suppose Grand River Tailset Ginger Ale should really be considered a gingered ale.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2013, 05:42:24 am »

Got it!
Thank you for clearing that up for me, gentlefolk.
Next time I have some money to spend on brewing, I'll have to give ginger beer a go.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »

Dark Ginger Liqueur
35 cl brandy
35 cl water
150 g muscavado sugar
60 g root ginger
1 vanilla pod (or 1/2 tsp vanilla paste)
Zest of an orange

Peel and thinly slice the ginger. Bring the water, ginger, vanilla (split if using pod) and sugar to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the ginger is tender. Allow to cool and add to a sealable jar. Add the orange zest and the brandy. Seel the jar and give it a shake. Allow to steep for two or three days (remove the vanilla pod after the first day if you want to limit the vanilla taste). Strain and bottle.

It's very drinkable after a day or two, with a pronounced orange nose from the zest and a heat in the mouth from the ginger. Having used dark muscavado sugar I expect this to mellow over a considerable period of time, but even after a couple of days it doesn't have the harshness I've found using muscavado for other liqueurs (using it in sloe gin, it needs 12 months to mellow).

With the syrup dilution the end result is a little bit under 20%, so quite a mild liqueur.

Bumping this recipe as you've just got time to get a batch on for last minute gifts if you start asap.. Wink

I've just put a batch on just now as a just-in-case gift I can bottle into 250ml bottles for anyone that pops round that we're not expecting!  No muscavado to hand, so it's plain white sugar this time and after someone asked me for a recipe to match King's Ginger - something I've never actually tasted myself - and I noticed that the tasting noted for King's described a note of lemon I thought I'd try using lemon zest instead of orange.  This is provisionally named Light Ginger Liqueur until I can think of something wittier.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2013, 01:35:35 am »

*peeks head in through the door* May I come in? I'm seeking advice on brewing my own mead for the first time.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:44 am »

Dark Ginger Liqueur
35 cl brandy
35 cl water
150 g muscavado sugar
60 g root ginger
1 vanilla pod (or 1/2 tsp vanilla paste)
Zest of an orange

Peel and thinly slice the ginger. Bring the water, ginger, vanilla (split if using pod) and sugar to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the ginger is tender. Allow to cool and add to a sealable jar. Add the orange zest and the brandy. Seel the jar and give it a shake. Allow to steep for two or three days (remove the vanilla pod after the first day if you want to limit the vanilla taste). Strain and bottle.

It's very drinkable after a day or two, with a pronounced orange nose from the zest and a heat in the mouth from the ginger. Having used dark muscavado sugar I expect this to mellow over a considerable period of time, but even after a couple of days it doesn't have the harshness I've found using muscavado for other liqueurs (using it in sloe gin, it needs 12 months to mellow).

With the syrup dilution the end result is a little bit under 20%, so quite a mild liqueur.

Bumping this recipe as you've just got time to get a batch on for last minute gifts if you start asap.. Wink

I've just put a batch on just now as a just-in-case gift I can bottle into 250ml bottles for anyone that pops round that we're not expecting!  No muscavado to hand, so it's plain white sugar this time and after someone asked me for a recipe to match King's Ginger - something I've never actually tasted myself - and I noticed that the tasting noted for King's described a note of lemon I thought I'd try using lemon zest instead of orange.  This is provisionally named Light Ginger Liqueur until I can think of something wittier.

Both of those sound lovely!
Please keep us posted with your results.

*peeks head in through the door* May I come in? I'm seeking advice on brewing my own mead for the first time.

Of course!
All are welcome.
What kind of mead are you wanting to brew?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: