Author Topic: Steamy Steampunk Buildings  (Read 159381 times)

Mme. Ratchet

• Officer
Re: Steamy Steampunk Buildings
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2016, 09:57:11 pm »
Lots of very cool structures!

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2016, 12:20:31 am »

Australia does have  some groovy older heritage buildings. It's  a good thing they  have preserved them .

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2016, 01:19:06 am »
Hmmmm...
Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2016, 02:52:51 am »

Yes the UK has far older buildings that are really groovy.  Older than there has been houses in the Antipodes .

Dave Leppo

• Snr. Officer
  • fabricateur
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:58 pm »
Just caught this on NPR
http://www.npr.org/2016/08/25/489457490/belle-of-the-mall-saving-smithsonian-s-jewel-like-arts-and-industries-building

"Belle Of The Mall: Saving Smithsonian's Jewel-Like Arts And Industries Building"

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2016, 01:39:50 pm »
I am sure this has been posted before but it is the UK's equivalent of the Smithsonian I suppose. This is just a part of the Natural History Museum:

See the gargoyles scuttling up the left side.

Right click, view image to see the larger sized images.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:42:17 pm by yereverluvinunclebert »

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2016, 01:56:46 pm »
Kings Cross St. Pancras Hotel

This is part of the old engine shed rebuilt to take the stresses and loads of the huge engine shed arch, 500,000 handmade bricks, 5mm pointing, modern structure copied the old structure in form, footprint, shape and detail. Combination of the old and the new. We forget that is how Victorian buildings would have looked when new...

The above image shows only the retaining wall, a whole hotel has been constructed above that new wall in the same Victorian style as the old hotel. If I can find a good picture of it I'll post it here. For the moment though here is the frontage of King's Cross St. Pancras. You'll know it as the station that Harry Potter used to catch the train to Hogwarts (they used the exterior of Stt. Pancras and the interior of the other station across the road, platform 9 & 3/4.

Right click and view image to see full size photo which is MUCH more impressive.

This is rather a good site that tells you all about the restoration: http://www.manhattanloft.co.uk/projects/st-pancras-renaissance-hotel-restoration/

Finally, a lovely picture of the hotel/station:

and Sir John Betjeman who loved the building and was instrumental in saving it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:25:48 pm by yereverluvinunclebert »

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:33 am »
Not necessarily the most steampunk in immediate appearance but this image does show a working combination of modern and new architecture. I am sure it has been mentioned before but Poundbury is a modern English town built to existing and functioning working architectural styles (no stupid flat roofs nor boxy sheds that make up most modern town designs) that is meant to create a living town that feels 'right' to live in, friendly and human in scale.

It is meant to create a living and breathing English town with all the amenities of a modern town and all the modern technologies for heating, communications &c.

Everything you see here is more or less brand new.

(right click and view image for a bigger version)

It looks like England and it is England, complete with village store, town hall and pub but none of this is more than 10 years old despite looking as if it has buildings that have encompassed the 1700s to the 20th century. The town is still being developed to this day and in the same traditional English styles. The only way you can tell they aren't old is the fact that everything is just a little too clean and straight and the complete lack of mature trees. Most English towns have mature trees everywhere.

This link will take you to the centre of Poundbury via Google maps.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.712099,-2.4658532,3a,75y,211.91h,78.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssBpIJ9DUnWU5P2tz_FyAFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The new town abuts the old town of Dorchester and connects to it via the old 1950s housing estate (which is very bad in comparison) Poundbury is really is worth looking around and it shows what can be done with some control over developers.

There really is no need to live in the modern crap that builders foist upon us - it is down to us to determine what we want to live in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:09:18 am by yereverluvinunclebert »

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2016, 04:37:35 am »
Like the idea - Poundbury looks like a great place to live for anglophile! ;D

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »
You can visit it next time you are here...

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:09 pm »
You can visit it next time you are here...

Will have to be when/if the permanent move is made - trips to Ireland are only for 3 weeks on average, and I still don't get to see everything I would like to see!

But I will keep it in mind, unclebert.

chironex

• Snr. Officer
  • The typing jellyfish monster
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
What do you make of this bizarre thing?

The Hotel Sea-View:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:35:50 pm by chironex »

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2016, 12:10:03 am »
The house looks like a bog-standard two-storey Queenslander someone has tried to turn into an Italianate villa - something that's hard to do with pitched tin roof with overhanging eaves!

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2016, 02:50:03 pm »
Not exactly steampunk, top one just a villa with pretensions, a balcony and a balustrade does not a steampunk make...
Bottom one looks a tadge late 20s, 30s art deco to me, the curve gives it away.  Steampunk, hmmmmm, no.

chironex

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2016, 08:21:26 am »
Not exactly steampunk, top one just a villa with pretensions, a balcony and a balustrade does not a steampunk make...
Bottom one looks a tadge late 20s, 30s art deco to me, the curve gives it away.  Steampunk, hmmmmm, no.

1. Unless your definition of steampunk runs away with the last syllable and ends up in Ork mek territory.
2. We've featured Art Deco on this thread before, I'm sure.

Fairley B. Strange

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..
    • One of those Facebook things...
« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2016, 09:53:34 am »

1. Unless your definition of steampunk runs away with the last syllable and ends up in Ork mek territory.

I believe the second edifice is some kind of Chrononautical artifact - as a young chap I can vaguely recall losing whole Sunday afternoons in that place only to reappear at 05-too-bleedin-early Monday morningwith a thumping headache... damn time travel...
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #244 on: October 17, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »

Art deco of the real art deco type is truly steampunk but the later art deco as practised in the 30s is a bit 'naff'.

Real art deco as seen in the low countries:

That boat thing...

British and Imperial art deco is not even really art deco, it is really just modernism with some curves...

Art Deco as a term is abused and spans a variety of building styles, some are good and deserving of the epithet, others are just not really art deco and certainly not steampunk.

This is a good article that shows the difference between real art deco and the real thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2009/nov/12/art-deco-bbc-architecture
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:33:14 pm by yereverluvinunclebert »

chironex

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #245 on: October 17, 2016, 02:11:36 pm »
So, it evolved a bit.

That first image looks more like Art Nouveau!

The cathedral is still there, but little else.

Image from 1979, building burned down in the '80s and is now a carpark, some ruins can still be seen there.

Thursday Island.

This pub is long gone.

I can't find this spot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:44:25 pm by chironex »

chironex

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2016, 02:42:53 pm »

I know where this one is, it's looking down Flinders street from the other side of Denham.

The Excelsior is now gone too.

As are these, the old town hall and market reserve buildings.

I couldn't find this either. There is a local diner I eat at which has images of this place.

The white part of this complex has been there since 1883. Now part of St. Patricks secondary girls' school.

yereverluvinunclebert

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2016, 03:07:07 pm »
Quite right, Art Nouveau morphed into art deco and we Brits tend to lump them into the same category.

Those lost Aussie buildings are real gems. So much colonial architecture has been lost as it was not appreciated in the 50s-80s. Real frontier-town stuff.

I lived in South Africa in the 80s and almost all the old colonial, verandah-style buildings with corrugated roofs were swept away, some of the old colonial gold-rush Johannesburg existing until the late 1980s in the form of old stores taken over by the African population to sell their own indigenous wares, skin whitening creams and other strange things. They were all knocked down when De Beers expanded.

Some still exist, see below but look at those Soviet style mega city one monolithic blocks taking over behind.

In those Australian photos, that cast-iron fronted building was real gem and could form the core of an architectural style unique to Australia. If only.

Almost all Western style countries now seem to mimic that appalling modernism that art deco ushered in. An Australian city looks the same as a South African city which looks like the centre of Birmingham (UK) which even though appalling cannot match the wretched forms of US architecture that is enshrined in cities such as Atlanta, probably the worst place I have ever been.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:34:23 pm by yereverluvinunclebert »

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2016, 08:55:37 pm »
Fortunately some were saved, and it is now illegal to knock 'em down, or remove the cast iron. The ones with real heritage value, that is.
Quite a 'war' fought over redevelopment in the 60s and 70s, with real blood and real bodies!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:57:54 pm by Banfili »

chironex

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
If you're ever in Townsville and have a dumbphone:
https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/about-council/contact-council/apps