The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 21, 2019, 01:38:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dishonoured  (Read 14762 times)
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:10 am »

Swords, wheel-lock pistols, fashion, the organisation of society.. all very nineteenth century rather than earl-twentiieth in the feel.  Perhaps mock-Victorian would be a better description than steampunk, but regardless of what you call it, it's a very well thought out and cohesive aesthetic, and it works very well.

If you have trouble reconciling Dishonored with steampunk, then every time an airship/zeppelin is mentioned in a steampunk setting your blood should be twitching.  Yet airships are taken as part of steampunk, despite being very firmly dieselpunk in their technology.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:03 am »

What about it didn't seem steampunk? Seriously, I don't know how it could be more steampunk than it was without becoming over the top cheesy.

Where there not enough goggles or something?

Captain Marcus Stahlsturm
Gunner
England England

Scoundrel, rascal, pirate captain and philosopher

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:49 am »

What about it didn't seem steampunk?
No steam? A palette plucked from Viva Pinata? No clockwork?

"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"
Alexander R. Thorne
Deck Hand

Professor of Reanimation, Miskatonic University

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:12 pm »

No steam? A palette plucked from Viva Pinata? No clockwork?

The lack of steam is a bit of pedantic distinction. Whale Oil serves in the place of steam as the primary source of fuel. I guess you could call it Whalepunk, but that just doesn't role off the tongue as nicely.

The city and its people have clear Victorian undertones, like a rich and powerful hereditary aristocracy, fairly rudimentary firearms, Victorian style regalia, decidedly Tesla-inspired tech.
There may be a lack of brass, goggles and airships, but to be honest those tropes are a bit stale for the genre anyway   

"Once upon a time, in some out of the way corner of that universe which is dispersed into numberless twinkling solar systems, there was a star upon which clever beasts invented knowing. That was the most arrogant and mendacious minute of 'world history,' but nevertheless, it was only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths, the star cooled and congealed, and the clever beasts had to die. One might invent such a fable, and yet he still would not have adequately illustrated how miserable, how shadowy and transient, how aimless and arbitrary the human intellect looks within nature. There were eternities during which it did not exist. And when it is all over with the human intellect, nothing will have happened." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »

After lurking for far too long in the non-steamy world I have returned but not before playing this horrible game. I'm an avid gamer and  it certainly wasn't all bad but its another of those games where the trailer looks so much better (and different) to the actual game. There were too many little exploits that made me assume it was never playtested. There were perfect points where a major plot twist would be perfect and instead it steered well clear of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rant over  Smiley
I only did high chaos, and I am doing lwo chaos now. I had no idea you fought him! I can't wait!

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:58 am »

There may be a lack of brass, goggles and airships, but to be honest those tropes are a bit stale for the genre anyway   

Hear hear!  Exactly. It could have just been a cliched cash-in but instead they created there own world that borrowed from a genre but didn't outright rape it.
H.Tuto
Deck Hand

Gentleman Anachronism 2.0

AnacronismInc
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:06 pm »

You all make good points, I guess I am so unused to seeing mainstream media do something that deviates from the box so clearly. It's just another reason for me to give it a try at the end of the day isn't it? Thank you for the responses, I really do hate to nitpick about these things.

The H. stands for Hieronymus. Why? Because it sounds positively nifty!
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2013, 03:17:40 am »

I really do hate to nitpick about these things.

I love to nitpick games, as you probably know if you look at my complaints about the graphics earlier in this thread. But aside from the low res textures there isn't much in this game for me to complain about. This was the highpoint of 2012 gaming for me.
Sgt Octavius Zocksteam
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:43 am »

These games look incredible, would love to experience them first hand. Keep steaming my brothers and never give up the (steam) dream.
best,
sarge
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »

Having since seen the Epic City tech demo for android (using Unreal 3), I'm more inclined to agree about the graphics.... Whilst I've not found them a problem, and I think they did go for "stylised", my nexus can run games that look beautiful and it seems a little sloppy that the textures were all SO low res :/

But having completed my first playthrough (I'M SLOW! Cheesy) it's fantastic Smiley
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Observer Llwellyn
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:10 am »

Hear hear!  Exactly. It could have just been a cliched cash-in but instead they created there own world that borrowed from a genre but didn't outright rape it.

That's one of the things I love about Dishonored, the unique setting Arkane came up with. They could have just taken every steampunk cliché in the book (a book I intend to write by the way), slapped together a cheap universe, and nobody would have complained. Unlike say medieval fantasy or modern warfare shooters, steampunk (in video games at least) hasn't been done to death, so whatever they put out would have been fresh and interesting. Yet they chose to put a truly unique spin on it while keeping the things that really matter.

Also, I'm convinced that they will make a sequel rpg set in the same universe. It seems a waste to build such a detailed and unique universe only to use it in a single (rather short) game. Plus, the game world feels a lot like Skyrim to me, and the game mechanics could be adapted to an rpg with very little tweaking. The fact that Bethesda owns the franchise is the icing on the cake.

First Law of Travel
Anything can become a vehicle -- castles, cities, military academies, you name it -- so do not be alarmed when the stones of the ancient fortress you are visiting shake underfoot and the whole thing lifts off into the sky. As a corollary, anything is capable of flight if it would be cool, aeronautics or even basic physics be damned.

-- The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches, #65
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »

I love to nitpick games, as you probably know if you look at my complaints about the graphics earlier in this thread. But aside from the low res textures there isn't much in this game for me to complain about. This was the highpoint of 2012 gaming for me.

I tried it but was unimpressed , the lighting and lack of real contrast or depth in colours made the whole thing feel washed out and almost hazy like some water colour painting , but then a lot of games seem to suffer from this these days.

Maybe i am just too old but I think at this point there needs to be serious improvement or leap in technology / innovation before i tempted to try gaming again , who knows maybe the Occulus can change that but it needs something.

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »

I tried it but was unimpressed , the lighting and lack of real contrast or depth in colours made the whole thing feel washed out and almost hazy like some water colour painting , but then a lot of games seem to suffer from this these days.

Maybe i am just too old but I think at this point there needs to be serious improvement or leap in technology / innovation before i tempted to try gaming again , who knows maybe the Occulus can change that but it needs something.

I have bad eyes (80% blind in the left).  I know that feel.  However, my trick has been to turn the brightness up farther'n it should be.  Takes away very little from the "dark feel" of the game, while actually allowing me to see what's going on.  Had to do the same thing in Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Then again, Columbia was already so bright it'd make your head spin...

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2013, 06:20:30 pm »

I have bad eyes (80% blind in the left).  I know that feel.  However, my trick has been to turn the brightness up farther'n it should be.  Takes away very little from the "dark feel" of the game, while actually allowing me to see what's going on.  Had to do the same thing in Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Then again, Columbia was already so bright it'd make your head spin...

Its even worse if your using low def screen on a laptop , it annoyed me so much I returned it and got a better one.

sry to hear about your eye..

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2013, 07:54:50 pm »

Very good price on Dishonored in the Steam sale at the moment..
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2013, 12:27:04 am »

Its even worse if your using low def screen on a laptop , it annoyed me so much I returned it and got a better one.

Yeah, I'm rather lucky-full 1080P on a 40" HDTV through my PS3.  Can't play games on my computer because of the low-def issue and my eyes.

And no worries about the eye issue-I've learned to adjust.  Just gives me an excuse to wear an eye-patch when I'm out and about sometimes. Wink
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:08 am »

I'm 15, ok eyes Cheesy just bought the game at steam autumn sale (please steam, no more!) and I have to say I quite enjoy it...the party level is my favourite at the moment, just (SPOILER) stabbed dauds face in.

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »

I have bad eyes (80% blind in the left).  I know that feel.  However, my trick has been to turn the brightness up farther'n it should be.  Takes away very little from the "dark feel" of the game, while actually allowing me to see what's going on.  Had to do the same thing in Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Then again, Columbia was already so bright it'd make your head spin...

Yeah, I'm rather lucky-full 1080P on a 40" HDTV through my PS3.  Can't play games on my computer because of the low-def issue and my eyes.

And no worries about the eye issue-I've learned to adjust.  Just gives me an excuse to wear an eye-patch when I'm out and about sometimes. Wink

And i cant use consoles due to my bad joints / hands Tongue

I use a cherry mechanical keyboard -and even then I need to use autofire programs with a struggle because its usually cumbersome.

What I really want to try is Occulus when its hopefully released next year .

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:33:38 pm by 4_0_4 » Logged
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:30 am »

I have bad eyes (80% blind in the left).  I know that feel.  However, my trick has been to turn the brightness up farther'n it should be.  Takes away very little from the "dark feel" of the game, while actually allowing me to see what's going on.  Had to do the same thing in Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.  Then again, Columbia was already so bright it'd make your head spin...

Yeah, I'm rather lucky-full 1080P on a 40" HDTV through my PS3.  Can't play games on my computer because of the low-def issue and my eyes.

And no worries about the eye issue-I've learned to adjust.  Just gives me an excuse to wear an eye-patch when I'm out and about sometimes. Wink

I use a cherry mechanical keyboard -and even then I need to use autofire programs with a struggle because its usually cumbersome.

Ya know, we could probably pool our GOOD parts and make a whole person! 
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:40 am »

Ya know, we could probably pool our GOOD parts and make a whole person! 

Yes , I was thinking the same thing like one of those robots that transform and combine into super powered big one - we would be an unstoppable gaming machine !

Elliot Locke
Deck Hand

« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

I've played this game through several times and thought it was brilliant. It was very much Thief meets Bioshock, and I loved the world lore -- the incessant feeling of despair and darkness, the hints at the macabre nature of the whaling industry that essentially powered Dunwall, the non-linear approaches to the different missions. The non-lethal solutions to taking out your targets were particularly devious, especially given the fact that they end up being even darker than simply killing your target in many cases. A high-stealth, non-lethal approach to gameplay only enhances the comparisons to the Thief series -- one of the finest stealth franchises ever conceived.

http://themire.co.uk/ -- being a veracious and accurate account of goings-on in the deepest heart of the savage Mire and the wondrous steam-powered Portstown
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2014, 11:22:37 am »

Greetings (Always late to the party...its the done thing don't ya know Wink )

I was tempted by the Steam sale and bought this game on a whim. I must admit I quite enjoyed it (It reminded me of Tenchu - Stealth Assassin on the PS1 - a fab game I might add) I was a little disappointed that it ended so quickly and I must do a rerun soon. I have played this on maximum settings on my laptop and I think the game looked great, (a little like an old graphic novel) played slickly and gave me a few smiles along the way. I have the extra missions to do as well so the game will keep me interested for a while yet.

Steam has got me again however (Christmas sale haha) and I have just bought the Bioshock series so that's my evenings sorted for a while Smiley

Grum

woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2014, 10:30:07 am »

I did like the atmosphere. More grim then well, bioshock infinite. The plague is also well done.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2015, 09:17:46 am »

Time for some threadromancy

*Waves hands and mumbles an arcane incantation*

Bethesda have announced that they're releasing Dishonored 2 next spring

www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=UnsDyv-TtJg

They're also going to release a 'definitive edition' of the original game for PS4 and Xbox One in August this year.

SteamHunterUK
Deck Hand

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

Dishonoured (the original + the GOTY) is in the Steam 'Encore' sale for another 4 hours if anyone wants to get it really cheaply.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: