The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 23, 2019, 04:33:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dishonoured  (Read 14605 times)
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:15 am »

I've heard good things about Dark Souls, not gotten round to playing it myself yet though. I've procured my copy of Dishonoured, but waiting until I finish this run through Fallout 3 and probably New Vegas to actually start it.

Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2012, 07:30:12 am »

Fallout 3

Wow...that was a while ago. Takes me back, feels like I played that game in a different life.

DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2012, 05:01:20 pm »

I'm starting to create mods and Fallout 3 has an excellent construction kit available for free, so works as a nice introductory platform. I'd use Skyrim to learn but I just don't like it. I do like fallout so, as I had it installed for modding, I decided to play through it as it's been a while.

Mostly I'm expanding on my 3d modelling and rewarding myself for doing so by seeing my work directly in-game once it's completed.
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

Ah, no I haven't looked at that one.   I shall add it to the list.

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:26 am »

Forbes just gave Dishonored Game of the Year!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »

Hey, Dreamhazard, have you ever tried modding Oblivion? I do so myself, and if the Fallout 3 modding community gets stale for you, I'd love to welcome you to the Oblivion community!

We're still, somehow, very active, but nowhere steamy enough. A steampunk modder would be many Oblivion-playing steampunks dream!

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »

Oblivion is very much to blame for me getting into programming, it's one of the best modding communities I've ever seen and there is some FANTASTIC stuff out there..... I've not tried Skyrim yet (too expensive to get the PC version as well as the PS3 and my computer probably won't run it) but I hope it is.... if anyone has some steamy mods to point me at I'd love a look Wink
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »

For Oblivion or Skyrim? I mean, vanilla Skyrim is pretty steamy, what with the Dwemer and all.

Sadly, almost nothing for Oblivion. A skyship, a subway, and a goggle mod is about all the good stuff.

And it says something about how spoiled the modding community had made me that I can say those this are almost nothing.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:30 pm »

Ha, true Wink
I was looking for oblivion stuff, but I'd only ever found the same as you.... a real shame Sad
~Longeye~
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »

There were a few steampunk Oblivion projects started on the Nexus forums, but they've all died out.
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13:44 am »

Hey, Dreamhazard, have you ever tried modding Oblivion? I do so myself, and if the Fallout 3 modding community gets stale for you, I'd love to welcome you to the Oblivion community!

We're still, somehow, very active, but nowhere steamy enough. A steampunk modder would be many Oblivion-playing steampunks dream!

The Elder Scrolls isn't my kind of thing. I like Fallout because it's more SF than fantasy.
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »

I have to say, I love both! I've heard good things about using them to get into modding, but since I already own all of them for the PS3, I don't know if it is worth it to buy for the PC, especially my crappy one. Is it worth my money, or are there better games for modding, like Minecraft?

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
Bastion music
Deck Hand

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »

I absolutely love dishonored. Its wonderful artistic style and atmosphere has inspired me more than anything within my musical compositions.

I have even by inspired enough to write a small fan fiction that can be found here..

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8782590/1/For-my-Ada

Would love your opinions etc,

Kind regards

Paul Graham

-Bastion-

https://soundcloud.com/bastion-4
Captain Marcus Stahlsturm
Gunner
England England

Scoundrel, rascal, pirate captain and philosopher

« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:22 am »

After lurking for far too long in the non-steamy world I have returned but not before playing this horrible game. I'm an avid gamer and  it certainly wasn't all bad but its another of those games where the trailer looks so much better (and different) to the actual game. There were too many little exploits that made me assume it was never playtested. There were perfect points where a major plot twist would be perfect and instead it steered well clear of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rant over  Smiley

"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2013, 03:07:38 am »

What exploits?
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2013, 09:44:02 am »

I didn't notice any exploits.  I didn't read your spoiler as I haven't finished it yet. 

Gunner
England England

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:22 pm »

What exploits?
Exploits was a poor choice of words but level two stealth boots means that Corvo is completely silent no matter what he does meaning that sneaking is pointless, it is just as stealthy to sprint around as to crouch and sneak. Fully upgrading the pistol's reload time means that it is instantly reloaded when empty, making any upgrades to its ammo capacity a complete waste. Blink was far too powerful at level two and meant that nearly anywhere could be reached silently and without being seen. Level 2 bend time can is another massively overpowered power as it can lead to escape from any combat being too easy...or can just as easily lead to eight corpses.  The game is too short and the levels are too imbalanced; some can take ages and some can literally be over in 10 mins. Its not a terrible game but it could have been so much better and I couldn't help being disappointed
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »

Ah, I see.  I played the Thief series (still do sometimes) and I'm so used to sneaking around that I tried playing Dishonoured the same way.  I end up with a bloodbath in every level.  I didn't leave a single person alive in the brothel level.  That's the Sith in me I suppose.  I can't remember right now, but I don't think I ever upgraded the boots.  I use the rat swarm a lot.  I really must finish the game, but I've been sick and I can't play it.  Since I've gotten older, I've developed motion sickness if the graphics are too smooth (or the camera moves around a lot).  It's really annoying.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:51 am »

I guess it depends on how you play the game.

I didn't upgrade the boots either or use bend time, I used blink instead to move around silently, which I loved. I killed about half of the people I ran into.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2013, 12:18:02 pm »

Ah, I see.  I played the Thief series (still do sometimes) and I'm so used to sneaking around that I tried playing Dishonoured the same way.  I end up with a bloodbath in every level.  I didn't leave a single person alive in the brothel level.  That's the Sith in me I suppose.  I can't remember right now, but I don't think I ever upgraded the boots.  I use the rat swarm a lot.  I really must finish the game, but I've been sick and I can't play it.  Since I've gotten older, I've developed motion sickness if the graphics are too smooth (or the camera moves around a lot).  It's really annoying.
It took me two failed attempts before I had the Brothel level finished with no kills, but I did leave a lot of incapacited NPCs in various corners and side rooms.

I'm very frustrated by the opening level, I was sure I'd achieved zero kills but I think an incapacitated guard must have slipped into the canal and drowned some time after I'd passed.  That's the only explanation I'm left with.
Gunner
England England

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »

I'm very frustrated by the opening level, I was sure I'd achieved zero kills but I think an incapacitated guard must have slipped into the canal and drowned some time after I'd passed.  That's the only explanation I'm left with.
Or the rats got to one of them. First playthrough I played it exactly how I would tackle the situations. I did get two achievements (one for not killing the target and one for killing him) at the same time on some missions. I was on a quest for revenge and every kill was sending a message to the rest still alive. The High Overseer was found strapped to a chair, shot in the chest with his face branded with the sign of the heretic. I signed the guest book at Lady Boyle's party. I exposed and killed the Lord Regent.

Who has got all three endings?
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

Just the low chaos ending for me so far, I tried to keep kills to a minimum but some of the levels got messy!

I need to do a high chaos play though, see what Mr Outsider makes of a more messy outing.
H.Tuto
Deck Hand

Gentleman Anachronism 2.0

AnacronismInc
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:53 am »

I was wondering what specifically made Dishonoured steampunk? Honestly everything I have seen looks far more like dieselpunk (sans perhaps the snappy attire) from the colour palette, to the Tallboys and the fact that everything runs on whale oil. I know its a trivial thing but for some reason it bugs me despite my love for both.

Also I'm still looking for something to hook me on the idea. I've seen trailers, watched my friend play and it has all the elements I love but... nothing.

The H. stands for Hieronymus. Why? Because it sounds positively nifty!
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2013, 01:41:13 am »

I was wondering what specifically made Dishonoured steampunk?

The fact that they wrote "THIS IS A STEAMPUNK GAME" on the case. Seriously, that's about all I could find.
Gunner
England England

« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:40 am »

Exactly!! There is actually nothing steampunk about it. Theyre just throwing the word around without fully understanding its meaning. It's being used as a selling point and that is it. It is the complete opposite of Fable 2 and 3 which, despite being shoddy games, happened to end up vaguely steampunk yet never even made any claims of being so
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: