The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 18, 2021, 02:55:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian food brands still extant  (Read 203355 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2012, 02:53:17 am »

I read somewhere that they invented my top favourite food of all time, the TWIGLET.

It is compulsory that Twiglets be eaten with good mature Cheddar cheese at all times. Failure to do so will result in the consumer having marmite-tongue. If only Twiglets had been invented 30 years earlier. They can't go the list, they can't.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:04:37 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2012, 03:03:51 am »

Bassett's liquorice Allsorts , introduced in 1899.

Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

Achtung!
The following link may be followed only by mature Gentlemen. Ladies may be unutterably shocked. Old boilers such as myself, familiar with the stories told over coffee at Simla, will merely cluck. It tells the sorry tale of the Camp Coffee label, with its portrayal of a certain General who got into boiling hot water. It has a happy ending, though with the Sikh attendant sitting down having a cup of Camp too.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:56 am »

PS Evidently the very mechanics of the Brass Goggles website exert some kind of censorship. Certainly, they are too complicated for the Great-Aunts of this world. The link was to 'The Short but Fascinating History of Camp Coffee' at Brian Edwards Media, and the image was of the Label, before and after PC plastic surgery. Really, I am quite flustered, and that takes a deal of doing. . . .

I find it extraordinary that our correspondent should be able to reply to a passing reference to Isandlwana with the fact that he had climbed it! Only in the strange dimension of BrassGoggleLand.

CW
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2012, 04:23:43 am »

I climbed it and took tea on it.

Cheddar cheese, crackers, old Mrs Balls chutney, schweppes lemon twist if I remember rightly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:26:05 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2012, 05:33:05 am »

Achtung!
The following link may be followed only by mature Gentlemen. Ladies may be unutterably shocked. Old boilers such as myself, familiar with the stories told over coffee at Simla, will merely cluck. It tells the sorry tale of the Camp Coffee label, with its portrayal of a certain General who got into boiling hot water. It has a happy ending, though with the Sikh attendant sitting down having a cup of Camp too.

http://brianedwardsmedia.co.nz/2010/11/the-short-but-fascinating-history-of-camp-coffee/

My dear Ms. Wingnut:

The "image" you attempted to link was not an image, but a page containing an image. The board's Babbage engines are rather fussy about this distinction. For everyone's benefit, here is the link to The Short But Fascinating History of Camp Coffee, and the image itself is behind this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2012, 06:27:47 am »

Can anyone enlighten me as to when Lee & Perrins Worcestershire first arrived in Canada? HP Sauce misses the cut on all fronts (although it was introduced in Canada the same year — 1903 — as in Britain.) Likewise A1 did not arrive here until 1931, and parent Heinz Canada was founded in 1909. I also have yet to learn whether any Heinz brands were imported prior to 1909.

I can add E. D. Smith jams and spreads (Winona ON, 1882), Catelli Pasta (Montreal PQ, 1867), Five Roses Flour (Lake of the Woods Milling, Keewatin ON, 1888), Red Rose Tea (St. John NB, 1894), Neilson dairy products (Georgetown ON, 1893) and Eagle Brand Condensed Milk (first Canadian production in Ingersoll ON, 1899), and will do so when I reorganize & reformat the Dominion list.

I also welcome any other contributions.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2012, 07:13:48 am »

I am just drinking a cup of Camp 'coffee' now, it is very pleasant. I've had it before but it was long while ago but I keep a bottle in the cupboards as an emergency coffee. Slightly out of date but that's fine. Hot milk makes it feel like a bedtime drink but of course it has a stimulant in. It is a sort of cafe latte before its time, complete with sugar. It is alright, I'd definitely drink it again. Go out and buy some, it is worth doing just to save the brand...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:12:38 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:52 am »

Can anyone enlighten me as to when Lee & Perrins Worcestershire first arrived in Canada?

At the very least you could safely assume a few years after the introduction to the US, which means it would be well within the 1800s. It appears in far remoter and more exotic places at about the same time so it is perfectly safe to assume a colonial Britisher in Canada would be enterprising enough to spot the market and fill it either with supplies from the the US and then direct from the UK.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:56:53 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2012, 11:56:39 am »

Sorry to over-egg the point but it is worth saying if only to be truly pedantic.

"No-one in the UK calls it anything other than Wooster sauce, with a short "oo" - difficult to describe the exact sound, but definitely not an "ooh" sound. The easiest way to get exactly the right sound is to do a dog-bark sound ("Woof") and then drop the "f" off the end and add "ster" (so it's woo-ster). Describing the product with the additional 'shire' sounds so clumsy and comic that you might expect the unknowing speaker of it to step straight from a sketch of Fawlty Towers complete with check trousers. It is that obvious to an British ear. Think of it as trying to sing a rap song with an very English accent (ITSO Prof. Elemental), Wochestershire Saaawz just doesn't quite sit right.

And sauce is pronounced like "saws" in the UK, but with a softer, more sibilant sound on the second s - (ie sawss, not sawz).

We would also never add the '-shire' bit as Wooster Sauce is merely Wooster Sauce, from Worcester.

The same is true of the county (Worcestershire). This isn't difficult, since once you've got the "Wooster" bit right at the beginning, you only need to follow it with 'sheer' - but never 'shire'  - and, voila!"

I copied most of that from someone else's scribblings as it was perfectly succinct.

All pedants unite.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:19:44 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »

Bisto Gravy - 1908

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:46 pm »

I think that 1908 is pushing it a little too far, Queen Viccie is dead and that Edwardian style is taking over, nope it's fine, just. Edwardian England was very much a gentle follow-on from the Victorian era. Victorian values still apply, only the beginnings of the future are starting to show. Can we have bisto? I'm arguing with myself.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »

No no, we have to be strong. Only from 20th of June 1837 up to 22th of January 1901.  Grin

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »

Thankyou bicyclebuilder for your support and strength. Bisto is removed from the list.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »

Let's emphasise though that Bovril is on the list so not all is lost.

Bovril made up a large proportion of the military 'iron' rations for British soldiers during the late Victorian period, can you imagine having a liquid diet made up of solely steaming cups of Bovril? There were times when the British solider had this alone with no supplement. Imagine the eye of a needle...and you'd be accurate every time. If this needs explanation just ask.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:27:16 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »

Can anyone enlighten me as to when Lee & Perrins Worcestershire first arrived in Canada?

1862 Jan. 2 – Ad for “Lea & Perrins celebrated
Worcestershire sauce” states: “Extensive frauds. L. & P.
having discovered that several of the Foreign Markets
have been supplied with Spurious Imitations of the
‘Worcestershire Sauce,’ the labels of which closely resemble
those of the Genuine Sauce, and in one or more instances the
names of L. & P. forged, they have deemed it their duty to
caution the public, and to request purchasers to see that the
name of Lea & Perrins are upon the Wrapper, Label, Stopper,
and Bottle.
“L. & P. further give notice, that they will proceed
against any one who may infringe upon their right, either
by manufacturing or vending such imitations, and have
instructed their correspondents in the various parts of the
world, to advise them of such infringements” (Quebec
Mercury (Canada), p. 1). This is the earliest document seen
showing the sauce is in Canada, or containing a threat “to
proceed against” infringers.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

On the other hand that other well known household brand, Fray Bentos, I would never ever ever ever touch, no matter what. Their brand was forever blighted for me by the typhoid outbreak (1960s??) due to their tainted meat products.

You are showing your age... can you remember the 1970s John West salmonella scare? I do, I was sick for days but it was entirely psychological. Fear of food is a terrible thing. These days we have the food safety boards which were introduced exactly because of this sort of problem. When I worked at Mars, they stored some tones of sweets (in boxes, all safely wrapped) on pallets containing a disallowed wood preservative. The contamination was only one part in many millions, they scrapped the lot. Food is a lot safer these days.

I think my point was more about the lasting power of brand-blight than about fear of the foodstuff itself, as I have eaten corned beef of other brands (in extremis only as I dont much care for the taste). I had forgotten the John west thing.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2012, 05:20:14 pm »

Personally I find the Fray Bentos pies difficult to cope with though I am told they taste yummy, my concern there is the quality of the beef. One corned beef to me is as good as any other though for many Fray Bentos is to corned beef as hoover is to vacuum machines. The only brand blight I recall (that matters to me) would be the John West episode, one finds that you can't quite get the thing from your head so I know how you feel and I won't force you to eat it! I'll do the eating and you can see I've already started the tasting.

Most brands don't seem to die from blight though, they just lose relevance when the mfr. stops advertising properly, see Peak Frean.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »

Speaking of which, I did not find Peek Freans at my local super.  Wonder if they are only present in states next to Canada, like Oregon or Montana?

EDIT I'm having a hard time finding fresh meat / preserved meat delivery companies prior to the Edwardian Era (unless you're happy with canned meat). Cold packing technology may have entirely wiped out Victorian meat companies. The oldest meats brand I know of is Boar's Head Provision Company from NY, 1905 (delicatessen products, a nice pic of a horse drawn delivery carriage here : http://www.boarshead.com/album.php), and for wholesale beef, Winn Meat Co. from Dallas? Texas, 1902.  Close but no cigar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:49:57 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:23 am »

Over this side of the pond we have a couple of fresh meat suppliers still extant, not necessarily the highest quality but it'll do. Walls general meats and Pork Farms sausages.

We also have a bakery in the form of Campbells Bakery in Crief that has been making Scottish oatcakes, scotch eggs and pies since 1830. Not doing badly on the list, it has some variety. I just need to find a fruit supplier other than Ffyfes.
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2012, 04:35:48 am »

Callard & Bowser Creamline toffees? still made up until recently
Altoids
Nigroids
Worcester sauce (pronounced wooster)

Love love love Altoids
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2012, 06:59:02 am »

Thank you Uncle Bert, that is precisely the sort of info I've been unable to find.

Speaking of which, I did not find Peek Freans at my local super.  Wonder if they are only present in states next to Canada, like Oregon or Montana?

Mr. Wilhelm, I'd make a comment about the United States being next to perfection, but that might contravene the "Politics" prohibition. Tongue

As for meats, do you already have Hormel Foods (est. 1891, Austin MN)?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:39 am »

I just found out that Peek Freans are only imported from Canada, by a company in Florida who dedicate to Canadian products.  This company, decidedly a 20th. C. company.  So no, Peek Freans do not make it to the US list.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2012, 02:25:48 pm »

Just for the sake of the images...I just made this one for your delicatation.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:54:36 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »

Love love love Altoids

How can one not love Altoids? The tin, the contents, the paper, the printing. These days tobacco is generally not sold in tins and so you can't get a small tin like an Altoids tin for love nor good money in any other form. Gawd bless 'em.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: