The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 10:49:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian food brands still extant  (Read 174693 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1450 on: September 03, 2019, 12:40:52 am »

Question is:- Will Uncle Bert allow it to be included?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1451 on: September 03, 2019, 12:58:57 am »

Question is:- Will Uncle Bert allow it to be included?

We'll see.

If I was judging a brand for the US list, and if the cheese in the 1970s iteration of the cheese was made in the same way as in the original farm during the late 1800s when production was stopped, then that seems to pass the "preparation /ingredients requirement. If the name of the cheese being marketed and the concern (corporation, company, or whichever fiscal entity) is at least related (purchased, inherited, etc.) by the 1970s company, then it would pass the brand name requirement. Because in the end people in Victorian times would have to have known the product by the same name as the buyer in the 1970s-present. Otherwise it's just someone stealing a brand name from antiquity to use in a different product.

That is why I rejected Fleishmann's Butter from the US list - it's just a purchased name with no connection to the original product! Similarly Breyer's was rejected from the list because it doesn't meet the US government criteria for Ice Cream. It has too many substituted ingredients not used in the original product, and so the government insists Breyer's be called a "frozen dessert." Now you know it's got to be pretty far away from being ice cream if the US government will not allow corporations to use the name!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:07:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1452 on: October 06, 2019, 11:31:45 pm »

Mr Wilhelm.

Another one for your list...

Stroh Brewery Company 1850 (owned & marketed By Pabst in the US,  except in Canada where the Stroh brands are owned by Sleeman Brewery 1834.

============================

One for the Euro list Which I should get 'round to doing,  & yes I'll be accepting both food & booze:-

Aass Brewery 1834

For the UK/Empire:-

Not sure about this one:- Sleeman Brewery 1834 ?

"The family tradition was passed down from generation to generation. That is, until Sleeman lost its license to brew in 1933 as a result of smuggling beer during prohibition. The Sleeman family was banned from brewing or selling beer for 50 years."
(Taken from their Website)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:11:46 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1453 on: October 18, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »

Bonds of London (sweets) 1895.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1454 on: November 14, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »

Just making a start on the Euro list

Argentina:-
Bodega Catena Zapata (wines) 1902
Bulgaria:-
Zagorka Beer 1902]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zagorka]Zagorka Beer 1902
Italy:-
Ferrari Trento (wines) 1902
US:-
Sunshine Biscuits 1902?
Ireland:-
Lyons Tea 1902
Lithuania:-
Kalnapilis Brewery 1902
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1455 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:42 pm »

I have eaten the US "Government Cheese".  It is not horrid, actually quite acceptable on a grilled cheese sandwich or in cooking, but not super tasty on its own.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1456 on: November 27, 2019, 12:48:23 am »

I need to educate myself a bit more on Argentinean history. I know that massive waves of Italian and German migrants came toward the end of the 19th century, and like the French and Italians in Mexico they went mostly into food businesses. I imagine the Italians are responsible for Argentinean and Chilean wines, taking advantage of the dry plains (Pampas) and perhaps the dry mountain sides.

Sunshine can enter the roster if we could find a product that was made by them since the turn of the 19th century. The brand is commonly available nationwide and tied to cheese flavored (real cheese) crackers you can find in any kid's lunchbox, but the crackers only date back to the 1920s. They're Dieselpunk crackers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez-It

Sunshine used to make Animal Crackers which are old enough, but Nabisco's PT Barnum crackers took their place instead. The other alternative is Krispy Saltine Crackers which should technically be old enough, but I can't find corroborating information on Wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltine_cracker
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:04:52 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1457 on: December 06, 2019, 06:29:30 pm »

UK/Empire list:- Emmett's Ham 1820

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1458 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:15 am »

First class, I live not far from there. I am making a pilgrimage.

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: