The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 17, 2021, 11:59:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 3)  (Read 239927 times)
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #2275 on: March 16, 2021, 04:35:08 pm »

I have finished my brass goggles and I quite like them - they are made from a pair of cheap mig welding goggles with a flip-up bit. The problem is, I can't figure out how to put the V spring in the flippy-up bit to make it work... I will have to buy another pair and really look at how it it put together in the V spring department. Brass Goggles mark II!

Now I am beginning to see how this whole dressing-up thing/costume making works and how you end up with multiple outfits!

...and I like it...

You do realize we are waiting for updates and photo's..... (please.

I have been looking back over the past 10 or so pages and... I miss the cons (ventions and vivials) and picnics and whatnots.  Hopefully we can start meeting again soon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2276 on: March 17, 2021, 08:11:30 pm »

This is my first outfit, things I bought last Summer. I've since added several items, but I have been a bit under-the-weather, so I've not had a chance to take more photos just yet.

What a delightfully daring outfit! It will certainly turn heads once we're allowed to step out oince again Smiley.

Yours,
Miranda.

After a year and a half of being isolated from, shall we say, human contact, I figure turning heads will both be exhilarating and somewhat risky!  Roll Eyes

AnnaElizabeth
Deck Hand

Either you believe in yourself, or you don't

« Reply #2277 on: March 17, 2021, 08:25:20 pm »

I get comments whether I wear leggings, jeans, skirts, or shorts. I once had a man offer marriage when he met me. Wearing the top seen in the photo to grocery shop, I had a male half my age follow me around the store to hit on me.

I haven't accepted any dates with the pandemic ongoing, and most of the men and women that have hit on me have either been not-my-type, not in my league, or showing toxic behavior in various ways.

Maybe after the vax is better distributed in arms.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2278 on: March 18, 2021, 07:29:49 am »

I get comments whether I wear leggings, jeans, skirts, or shorts. I once had a man offer marriage when he met me. Wearing the top seen in the photo to grocery shop, I had a male half my age follow me around the store to hit on me.

I haven't accepted any dates with the pandemic ongoing, and most of the men and women that have hit on me have either been not-my-type, not in my league, or showing toxic behavior in various ways.

Maybe after the vax is better distributed in arms.

True. You never know how people will react. I'd be wary of the people who throw themselves at you though. My mother, who has always been very pretty, in a Morticia/Wednesday Addams sort of  way (she was Goth, long before Goth girls existed  Cheesy), also had a couple of proposals at the supermarket (!) decades ago. That is so bizarre. Mind you, I'm not even thinking about hooking up, but after the Pandemic I can't help feel that a lot of people are glad to be alive! Life finds a way as they say  Roll Eyes.

AnnaElizabeth
Deck Hand

Either you believe in yourself, or you don't

« Reply #2279 on: March 18, 2021, 10:39:01 am »

I am always wary at strangers. I've been rather shocked at how many men have approached - clumsily - during this pandemic. Last Summer, I was out in a bikini walking along the river, and a man offered me a cool drink, from his fast-food takeaway cup. No, thank you. I walk almost always, I've had men follow me home in their cars as I walk home with groceries.

Your mother sounds like a very intriguing woman.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2280 on: March 18, 2021, 07:33:01 pm »

I am always wary at strangers. I've been rather shocked at how many men have approached - clumsily - during this pandemic. Last Summer, I was out in a bikini walking along the river, and a man offered me a cool drink, from his fast-food takeaway cup. No, thank you. I walk almost always, I've had men follow me home in their cars as I walk home with groceries.

Your mother sounds like a very intriguing woman.

My mother is an intellectual (PhD literature, languages and attorney), but an eternal rebel, not really able to mesh well with people, in general. I don't think she was ever meant to be with anyone else. She didn't raise me, that job was taken by my grandparents. I think she's been in every alternative religion you can think of, including Vedic, Buddhist, Pagan, even though she was raised as a Baptist in the 1950s/60s (after my grandfather, because my grandmother was a Catholic). She's a character.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2281 on: March 19, 2021, 03:09:11 am »

Thank you, Miranda.

To me, part of being Steampunk is to be myself in a way that the historical era would not tolerate.

There's a reason Steampunk creations often fall under the descriptor/heading of "Never Was".
So much of it is kind-of, sort-of, maybe (if you squint a bit) like what people kind-of, sort-of, maybe used/wore/ created in the Steampunk era which also has its own kind-of, sort-of hazy boundaries.  Grin  

Oh, and I'm as guilty as anyone else for muddling those kind-of, sort-of boundaries.  Roll Eyes 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:12:11 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2282 on: March 19, 2021, 04:50:29 am »

I have finished my brass goggles and I quite like them - they are made from a pair of cheap mig welding goggles with a flip-up bit. The problem is, I can't figure out how to put the V spring in the flippy-up bit to make it work... I will have to buy another pair and really look at how it it put together in the V spring department. Brass Goggles mark II!

Now I am beginning to see how this whole dressing-up thing/costume making works and how you end up with multiple outfits!

...and I like it...

I have been looking back over the past 10 or so pages and... I miss the cons (ventions and vivials) and picnics and whatnots.  Hopefully we can start meeting again soon.

I am working on 'Goggles II' and will put them on my hat and take some pics of them when they are done. It is still warm here, so we tend to do lots of garden stuff; when it cools down more I will be inside doing sewing and projects etc. I have some lovely pieces I want to use to make a proper Steampunk brooch that will be at the neck of my blouse. I don't want it to look too "stick a cog on it and call it Steampunk", so I am still working on the design.

Unfortunately, through the entire Covid lockdown, I was debilitated with an injury and spent the entire time sitting on the couch not moving. All 'non-essential' surgeries were cancelled, so there was nothing I could do (except get fat)! Now that I have been operated on and can walk again, I am managing 3-4 km a day up and down hills and I am losing weight at a great rate and I will not be sewing anything until I lose a bit more! I have patterns and some fabric for the blouse and skirt, but might want to have a few different fabrics for each so I have a hot-weather and cool-weather option on the day, which is in September. Goggles and brooch next, then some accoutrements and then clothes.

And I will have to work out how to downsize the pictures so they download for everyone more easily.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2283 on: March 19, 2021, 11:10:26 pm »

...and I like it...

I am working on 'Goggles II' and will put them on my hat and take some pics of them when they are done. It is still warm here, so we tend to do lots of garden stuff; when it cools down more I will be inside doing sewing and projects etc. I have some lovely pieces I want to use to make a proper Steampunk brooch that will be at the neck of my blouse. I don't want it to look too "stick a cog on it and call it Steampunk", so I am still working on the design.

Unfortunately, through the entire Covid lockdown, I was debilitated with an injury and spent the entire time sitting on the couch not moving. All 'non-essential' surgeries were cancelled, so there was nothing I could do (except get fat)! Now that I have been operated on and can walk again, I am managing 3-4 km a day up and down hills and I am losing weight at a great rate and I will not be sewing anything until I lose a bit more! I have patterns and some fabric for the blouse and skirt, but might want to have a few different fabrics for each so I have a hot-weather and cool-weather option on the day, which is in September. Goggles and brooch next, then some accoutrements and then clothes.

And I will have to work out how to downsize the pictures so they download for everyone more easily.

Sounds like a plan! I'm looking forwards to seeing the pictures. I'd suggest if you inform us of the type of computer you use someone here will be able to give advice the image cropping. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to help as the system and software I use is so far off the mainstream it's quite possibly in a parallel universe. However, I can say that I find a width of 600 pixels seems to work quite nicely on a BG page.

Yours,
Miranda.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2284 on: March 20, 2021, 01:42:18 am »

Thanks, Miranda, 600 pixels is easy to do - I might go back and re-do the images I have uploaded and downsize them.

Cheers!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2285 on: March 20, 2021, 03:54:29 am »

Thanks, Miranda, 600 pixels is easy to do - I might go back and re-do the images I have uploaded and downsize them.

Cheers!

There's a number of free software packages that work cross-platform. There's a really powerful program called gimp that works for Linux, Mac OS and Microsoft Windows. Although I think that's way too much, just for resizing pictures, but that's my default graphics software.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: