The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 09:49:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 3)  (Read 235698 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2250 on: January 13, 2021, 06:11:41 pm »

I have so far received the dress patterns, (although I can see they need modification as they are a bit frilly for my austere taste...), my hat (top hat/ladies riding hat), some goggles (now disassembled and being modified) and some rather splendid upholstery 'fabric' which looks like old timey leather.

(snip)

Sounds good - I love a riding hat  Smiley.

(snip)

Will have to find a photo hosting site and upload some pictures. (I am surprised by how excited I am by all this!)

Another alternative that I use is imgur.com quite easy to use once you get past the annoying recaptcha bits.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #2251 on: January 13, 2021, 09:20:59 pm »

I have gone so far as to acquire a sewing machine - using it for costumery is another kettle of fish altogether - we shall see what the year brings!
I am finished with Uni, so who knows!
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2252 on: January 13, 2021, 09:54:23 pm »

I have so far received the dress patterns... my hat... some goggles...and some rather splendid upholstery 'fabric' which looks like old timey leather. I knew just by handling it, that it would be easier to sew and handle than the 'leather look vinyl' which was also being sold. It feels much nicer. ....

I discovered the leather-like upholstery fabric a long time ago. It's kind of a cross (in feel) between regular leather and suede.
It comes in regular and a heavyweight.  The regular weight stuff can be sewn easily on a machine and even by hand.
Great stuff for making period clothing, but also for RenFaire/Fantasy/Cosplay clothing. Wink  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:56:31 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2253 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:46 pm »

I have so far received the dress patterns, (although I can see they need modification as they are a bit frilly for my austere taste...), my hat (top hat/ladies riding hat), some goggles (now disassembled and being modified) and some rather splendid upholstery 'fabric' which looks like old timey leather. I knew just by handling it, that it would be easier to sew and handle than the 'leather look vinyl' which was also being sold. It feels much nicer. I hope it works out OK. Will have to find a photo hosting site and upload some pictures. (I am surprised by how excited I am by all this!)

Which patterns have you bought?  (I'm just insatiably curious).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2254 on: January 16, 2021, 10:21:31 am »

I have so far received the dress patterns, (although I can see they need modification as they are a bit frilly for my austere taste...), my hat (top hat/ladies riding hat), some goggles (now disassembled and being modified) and some rather splendid upholstery 'fabric' which looks like old timey leather. I knew just by handling it, that it would be easier to sew and handle than the 'leather look vinyl' which was also being sold. It feels much nicer. I hope it works out OK. Will have to find a photo hosting site and upload some pictures. (I am surprised by how excited I am by all this!)

Which patterns have you bought?  (I'm just insatiably curious).

Butterick B6608
Butterick B4954
burda 7769 which is a waistcoat - a bit short, but I can easily lengthen it.
Vogue V1646 because I really like the skirt.

They were all on a really good special, so I was well pleased.

The only thing I need now is a Victorian style woman’s blouse - not too frilly. I don’t mind tailoring, just not frills. If you know of one, feel free to send me details!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2255 on: January 16, 2021, 04:40:31 pm »

Nice choices Synistor.
Blouse patterns can be a bit of a pain, but try 'Cosplay by McCalls M2024'; at first glance it looks very ruffly but version C is really quite plain if you just don't add the flouncy bits!  It does fasten at the back though.
Don't be put off by the cosplay aspect, this is a genuine vicwardian pattern that I'd seen in my research, and finding it reprinted by McCall's, (it's from their Vault Collection) had me dancing round the room before rushing to order it.  And the added advantage is that the sewing instructions must have been rewritten for a modern sewer as they are considerably more comprehensible than a lot of period patterns.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2256 on: Today at 03:27:55 am »

I think I will need two blouses - one to go under a waistcoat and one to go under a jacket. The waistcoat shirt can have puffy sleeves, but the jacket shirt will need to have a thinner arm profile to fit comfortably under a jacket. Oh, I just thought! I could wear one of those short cape/jackets which would let me have the puffy sleeves. Now I will have to look for one of them and make up a pattern... I will still go with the waistcoat though, AND the jacket, because the weather might be conducive...

So you see - I have made the jump from one outfit to about 3 outfits in one fell swoop. Jacket and cape, two shirts and really, skirts are so easy that I should have at least two of them...

Is this what happens??? Is this just the beginning of a wardrobe full of Victorian clobber? (I KNEW I should never have gotten that hat... There was that grey one though, that looked really nice. I almost got that one instead of the black one... I could look at it again - maybe wait until it is on special?)

I'm doomed.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2257 on: Today at 05:53:16 am »

I think I will need two blouses - one to go under a waistcoat and one to go under a jacket. The waistcoat shirt can have puffy sleeves, but the jacket shirt will need to have a thinner arm profile to fit comfortably under a jacket. Oh, I just thought! I could wear one of those short cape/jackets which would let me have the puffy sleeves. Now I will have to look for one of them and make up a pattern... I will still go with the waistcoat though, AND the jacket, because the weather might be conducive...

So you see - I have made the jump from one outfit to about 3 outfits in one fell swoop. Jacket and cape, two shirts and really, skirts are so easy that I should have at least two of them...

Is this what happens??? Is this just the beginning of a wardrobe full of Victorian clobber? (I KNEW I should never have gotten that hat... There was that grey one though, that looked really nice. I almost got that one instead of the black one... I could look at it again - maybe wait until it is on special?)

I'm doomed.

This is all becoming veeerrrry intriguing. I have never considered the clothing aspect of Steampunk of any particular interest to myself.
And now......well, I have an old, but very good sewing machine..... and I have always liked the Vic-Wardian  Steam look .....hmmm.
So "what happens" is:  your affliction is contagious!

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: