The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 21, 2019, 11:44:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 3)  (Read 207155 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2175 on: July 01, 2018, 09:24:25 pm »

Another weekend, another event, another outfit...

Fabulous weather, a fabulous range of activities and even more fabulous company  Smiley.

Yours,
Miranda.

Here's a piccy from the WMSA's recent trip to the wonderful Wightwick Manor near Wolverhampton:

The top here is my venerable Axford's corset. At nearly 30 years old it was getting so threadbear that I think I could have passed it off as an actual Victorian garment; hence the addition of the white ribbon to all the frayed sections down the boning channels, busk and boning either side of the eyelets, and the addition of a brand new (and much wider than the original...) modesty panel. I have to say I'm really pleased at how it turned out. The skirt is made from some black chiffon curtains from the charity shop, the swagging from some old lace netting and the bustle 'topping' is a ruched up white petticoat.

Anyway, I feel I should probably be slightly embarrassed that most of this page seems to be me. Does anyone else have any piccys to post up before this thread turns into Miranda's vanity project? Roll Eyes

Yours,
Miranda.

You look wonderful Miranda! You look like you are having fun. There is something about stripes that keeps recurring in Steampunk, isn't there? And there's always that favourite garment that gets worn more often than others. Which is why I'll buy more than one of it of you find it. One of the things I discovered about female clothing is that when you see and buy something really good, later on you'll never find it again! You only get one chance to own it! I think that is some unwritten fashion rule set by fashion division of Interpol (I was watching Zoolander 2 last night  Grin)

I would not worry too much about hogging the thread... I do that all the time  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:30:39 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2176 on: July 01, 2018, 09:32:29 pm »

great picture!

Thank you! Have you been to any events so far this summer?

Yours,
Miranda.

I have, but not many pictures were taken.

this from Elfia

and this from keltfest

From the looks of it, it was warm during Keltfest! Hot weather is an eternal Steampunk problem.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:34:49 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2177 on: July 02, 2018, 12:04:15 am »

You look wonderful Miranda! You look like you are having fun. There is something about stripes that keeps recurring in Steampunk, isn't there? And there's always that favourite garment that gets worn more often than others. Which is why I'll buy more than one of it of you find it. One of the things I discovered about female clothing is that when you see and buy something really good, later on you'll never find it again! You only get one chance to own it! I think that is some unwritten fashion rule set by fashion division of Interpol (I was watching Zoolander 2 last night  Grin)

I would not worry too much about hogging the thread... I do that all the time  Roll Eyes

Thank you! Yes, stripes are always a safe call for Steampunked outfits, and of course stripes that bow in towards the waist are a wonderful optical illusion to make one look slimmer  Grin.

I have, but not many pictures were taken.

this from Elfia

and this from keltfest

Very nice; is that your Steampunk flag or crest on the back of your jacket?

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:09:42 am by Miranda.T » Logged
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #2178 on: July 09, 2018, 06:04:39 am »

GEARCon 2018, Portland OR. It was two days, so two outfits. Took a couple of my granddaughters along but I haven't asked yet for the OK to post them. The theme this year was World War I. Yesterday I wore a white lingerie dress with a big ass hat. I posed with Batgirl and with a WWI nurse.
https://s8.postimg.cc/wel95ee2t/with_batgirl.jpg
https://s8.postimg.cc/z8oeix8k5/WITH_NURSE.jpg

I was so happy, I finally got the Gibson pompadour right!
https://s8.postimg.cc/ijmyncrhx/pompadour_achieved.jpg

Today I wore my old easy explorer outfit.
https://s8.postimg.cc/l0ypuoo9x/explorer_in_the_door.jpg

Now to decide what to do for next year!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2179 on: July 09, 2018, 06:03:41 pm »

GEARCon 2018, Portland OR. It was two days, so two outfits. Took a couple of my granddaughters along but I haven't asked yet for the OK to post them. The theme this year was World War I. Yesterday I wore a white lingerie dress with a big ass hat. I posed with Batgirl and with a WWI nurse.
https://s8.postimg.cc/wel95ee2t/with_batgirl.jpg
https://s8.postimg.cc/z8oeix8k5/WITH_NURSE.jpg

I was so happy, I finally got the Gibson pompadour right!
https://s8.postimg.cc/ijmyncrhx/pompadour_achieved.jpg

Today I wore my old easy explorer outfit.
https://s8.postimg.cc/l0ypuoo9x/explorer_in_the_door.jpg

Now to decide what to do for next year!

I didn't know Batgirl fought in WWI - I thought it was just Wonder Woman Roll Eyes. More seriously, nice photos! Was the hat specifically chosen to be in suffragette colours? I'm also very jealous of your Gibson Girl hairdo - I just can't seem to make it work for me. Put that piccy into sepia an it would look absolutely period.

Yours,
Miranda.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #2180 on: July 10, 2018, 06:21:45 am »

Well, it was still a general Steampunk event. There were a lot of Doughboys and such around the place. I was surprised not to see any Rose from Titanic, though. I actually chose the flowers to coordinate with my purple sash and hair. Smiley

The hairstyle I got with a humongous giant hair rat. There is no way I know of to get it without that. I made the hair rat at home from instructions I found online.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:20:54 pm by Lepidoptera » Logged
madamemarigold
Officer

« Reply #2181 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »

You looked fantastic! And that "Gibson Girl" hairdo was perfect.... (I have a GGrand-mothers photo with this style hairdo) I keep meaning to try it with my hair but so far haven't worked up the courage to attempt it. How many hairpins did it take to secure it?  (I need to crochet a "snood" it might help?) anyway, you looked like you had a wonderful time. I wish they had more events here in the mid part of the country....alas. Undecided  Wink
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #2182 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:49 pm »

Freshly washed hair, a hair-rat as big around as my arm, a fistful of bobby pins, and some super hold hairspray!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2183 on: August 17, 2018, 05:59:58 pm »

Freshly washed hair, a hair-rat as big around as my arm, a fistful of bobby pins, and some super hold hairspray!

Well you've certainly achieved the look - I've tried it a couple of times without great success, but obviously haven't used a big enough rat; may I ask what yours is made of?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #2184 on: August 18, 2018, 03:56:44 am »

I saved up my own the way they used to do with a hair receiver. I have pretty long hair, and I just saved it from my brushes over an extended period of time. Then I got a super fine hairnet from Sally's and modified and sewed it. You could do something similar with a hank of fake hair and just rat it up and enclose it in a net.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2185 on: August 18, 2018, 04:22:10 pm »

Thanks for this information.

My hair is quite long, but thinner than it used to be (combination of age and a very bad illness a few years ago), so I did save my 'cast-offs' for a while to bulk out the style when I put it in a bun as I couldn't find anything fake to match the brown/grey/white mix it's developed into over the years.  Looks like I'll have to go back to collecting it again; my husband thinks the whole idea is revolting - but what he doesn't know …..
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2186 on: August 18, 2018, 10:06:17 pm »

It's just making good use of what would otherwise be a waste product, and as such is entirely laudible (not to mention, as noted, completely authentic).

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2187 on: August 18, 2018, 10:57:19 pm »

Today's outfit for the WMSA's visit to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens:

The green dress is my oldest gown, bought about 25 years ago during a trip to Edinburugh. It's been languising in the loft for many a long year due to my knowing it would be too small for me now, but with just a few days until this trip after we'd returned off holiday (from Ediburgh again, first time we have been there since the frock was bought) and with nothing to wear (  Roll Eyes ) I thought I'd get it down and see it it could be quickly reworked; luckily with some seams opened up that proved to be the case. It's paired with the same bustle as my previous picture from the Blist's Hill event, and I feel it works much better here. However, the frock itself needs some further material added to the bottom to ring it to the same length as the bustle - another little sewing job to add to the list...

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2188 on: August 23, 2018, 06:39:01 am »

Today's outfit for the WMSA's visit to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens:

The green dress is my oldest gown, bought about 25 years ago during a trip to Edinburugh. It's been languising in the loft for many a long year due to my knowing it would be too small for me now, but with just a few days until this trip after we'd returned off holiday (from Ediburgh again, first time we have been there since the frock was bought) and with nothing to wear (  Roll Eyes ) I thought I'd get it down and see it it could be quickly reworked; luckily with some seams opened up that proved to be the case. It's paired with the same bustle as my previous picture from the Blist's Hill event, and I feel it works much better here. However, the frock itself needs some further material added to the bottom to ring it to the same length as the bustle - another little sewing job to add to the list...

Yours,
Miranda.

Lovely colour dear Miranda, a match to the landscape and a compliment to your hair!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2189 on: August 24, 2018, 11:29:59 pm »

Lovely colour dear Miranda, a match to the landscape and a compliment to your hair!

Thank you  Smiley. Yes, the thought was to echo the surroundings, or possibly just blend into them if, say, a rabid rhinoceros was to thunder through the doors of the tropical house.

Yours,
Miranda.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #2190 on: August 29, 2018, 06:49:40 pm »

I know I'm a bit late in my reply (silly life always getting in the way!) but everyone looks amazing!!!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2191 on: August 29, 2018, 09:05:01 pm »

I know I'm a bit late in my reply (silly life always getting in the way!) but everyone looks amazing!!!

October is getting close!! You know what this means! Halloween and the last quarter of the year is the Steampunk meeting time of the year!  I have to start mail ordering some replacements for worn out items in my costume!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2192 on: September 02, 2018, 11:52:21 am »

October is getting close!! You know what this means! Halloween and the last quarter of the year is the Steampunk meeting time of the year!  I have to start mail ordering some replacements for worn out items in my costume!

Absolutely. As I just popped onto Chicar's Haloween makeup thread, it's going to be a busy couple of months. As well as getting my daughter's party ready (this year's theme is 'Freakshow circus') for the 31st itself we'll be at Disneyland Paris for their Halloween evening so we'll want to have some good costumes for that. Anyway, hopefully 'Playing dress up' will be full of wonderful creations over the next nine weeks or so  Smiley.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Before all the Haloween fun starts, here's my outfit for yesterday's Himley Hall art exhibition outing with the West Midalands Steampunk Assembly:

I though I'd try out a 'subtle Steampunk' look for this one, something that might be a little more practical than a full-on crinoline for, say, wandering though Birmigham city centre or somewhere similar to an event. On looking at this piccy I don't think this combination hits that mark, although I think I may call it my 'Alice' outfit. The netting underneath the dress was black on white, but came out looking blue in this picture and I fell looks quite nice like that. I may rework it so that I can add different coloured neting to match the other elements of the outfit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:01:43 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2193 on: October 27, 2018, 09:18:42 pm »

I forgot to post my only picture from last elfia.

met professor elemental

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2194 on: October 29, 2018, 12:43:59 am »

met professor elemental

Nice piccy and nice to see you back  Smiley.

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2195 on: November 25, 2018, 09:09:26 pm »

met professor elemental

Yours,
Miranda.

thank you! i want to be here more but with a fulltime job i keep forgetting to check here!

anyway, I recieved some pictures from Castlefest, i may post more when i recieve those

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2196 on: November 25, 2018, 10:13:25 pm »

and dutch comic con!
yes, i did go to two events in one weekend

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2197 on: November 26, 2018, 12:19:49 am »

thank you! i want to be here more but with a fulltime job i keep forgetting to check here!

anyway, I recieved some pictures from Castlefest, i may post more when i recieve those

Lovely portrait.

and dutch comic con!
yes, i did go to two events in one weekend

And why not?  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2198 on: November 26, 2018, 09:02:46 am »

met professor elemental

Yours,
Miranda.

The first, a wonderful photo, I think. You seem to be really enjoying yourself at the event!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #2199 on: November 30, 2018, 11:00:21 am »

Autumn in Moscow. So am I against a brick wall. If you know who I look like, let me know. I'll tell my wife, or she says-you dress like nobody knows who.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: