The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 20, 2021, 05:29:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 92   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 3)  (Read 240013 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2025 on: June 25, 2017, 04:36:31 pm »

I must say, I envy you all... If I suggested to my family we dress up Steampunk style they would look at me askance. Askance!

And it is far too late to trade them in for a new family.  Wink

Keep showing the pictures of your costumes, please.

Perhaps you will need to sneak it in a bit at a time. Maybe start subtly with jewellery, then move on to shoes and gloves, begin to bring in appropriately styled tops and jackets, and then, when they are suitably acclimatised, hit them with the full goggle-clad hat, corset and bustle!  Cheesy

Alternatively, and on a more sensible note, maybe drop it in with a suitable event that will give an 'excuse' for dressing up such as Halloween or a Victorian event or market (do you have those around Christmas time too?)

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2026 on: June 25, 2017, 04:38:31 pm »

I must say, I envy you all... If I suggested to my family we dress up Steampunk style they would look at me askance. Askance!

My parents didn't like the idea either when i started cosplaying a few years ago. But as i explained it would only be for events where everyone was dressed up, i managed to loosen them up on the idea.When  I switched to steampunk they helped me build a costume and now I suggested going to the asylum my stepfather goes with me and wants a costume of his own...

So will your stepfather and yourself be at the Asylum this year?

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« Reply #2027 on: June 25, 2017, 05:05:16 pm »

My parents didn't like the idea either when i started cosplaying a few years ago. But as i explained it would only be for events where everyone was dressed up, i managed to loosen them up on the idea.When  I switched to steampunk they helped me build a costume and now I suggested going to the asylum my stepfather goes with me and wants a costume of his own...

So will your stepfather and yourself be at the Asylum this year?

Yours,
Miranda.

Correct! I'm really exited.
(And stressed. How do i finish my new costume in time??)

I struggle and arise
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2028 on: June 25, 2017, 09:54:10 pm »

Correct! I'm really exited.
(And stressed. How do i finish my new costume in time??)

Hope to see you there then!

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. And please continue with the WIP photos for the new outfit  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:56:32 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2029 on: June 29, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »

At a wedding in Lincoln on Saturday

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2030 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:24 am »

Very fine, sir.  I do rather fancy your sunglasses, I must say.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2031 on: June 30, 2017, 11:01:07 am »

Very fine, sir.  I do rather fancy your sunglasses, I must say.
Picked them up at an antique fair.  Edwardian I believe.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2032 on: June 30, 2017, 04:14:31 pm »

Very elegant, love it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #2033 on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:04 pm »

A few pics of me in my first ensemble. The photos were taken as part of a shoot by a good friend of mine. I'd love to hear what you guys think, any critique or comment is welcome  Smiley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2034 on: July 02, 2017, 10:20:56 pm »

Oh that is smart, that is smarter than smart. In fact, any smarter and you would have to be a professor of smartness at Oxford University, as my friend Mr Blackadder might say.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2035 on: July 02, 2017, 10:26:54 pm »

A few pics of me in my first ensemble. The photos were taken as part of a shoot by a good friend of mine. I'd love to hear what you guys think, any critique or comment is welcome  Smiley

Those are really nice. I particularly like the sepia one, especially the way the light catches the goggle lenses so one is dark and the other light. Nice sense of humour in the last couple too with the 'soot' around the space the goggles would have been in. All very elegantly posed; I think that photo session was time very well spent.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2036 on: July 02, 2017, 10:36:05 pm »

A couple of pictures from today's Stempunk event at Blists Hill Victorian Town in Ironbridge:

This was a brand new event and rather good, if a little bit warm in the July heat. All of the museum's staff and volunteers seemed really friendly, and one commented on how they (in full Victorian garb) felt pretty normal compared to the various outfits on display. With plenty of steamy activities during the day in addition to the museum's normal fare there was no lack of things to do. Hopefully it will happen again next year, though hopefully with a tweak of timing to avoid falling on the same weekend as the Wales event.

Yours,
Miranda.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2037 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:37 pm »

Fair
&
Attract..ive?

Nice sign placement, Ms.T.     Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2038 on: July 03, 2017, 09:12:18 pm »

Oh that is smart, that is smarter than smart. In fact, any smarter and you would have to be a professor of smartness at Oxford University, as my friend Mr Blackadder might say.

You're too kind.

I have to say, I do like the purple trim on your outfit.

A couple of pictures from today's Stempunk event at Blists Hill Victorian Town in Ironbridge:

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2039 on: July 03, 2017, 10:51:42 pm »

Thank you both! I must admit I hadn't spotted that sign when I posed (it was a quickly grabbed piccy whilst the children were on the swing-boats); if I had, I would have hidden the bag with our water bottles behind it... I must sort out a more appropriate way to carry those around when I'm not wearing my 'bustle bag'. The sign business seems to have become  an unconscious theme with the second picture too. That one was oddly appropriate as Facebook would not accept just an initial for surname so I went with Miranda 'Tea'. With all this sign-related posing I guess the only way to go now is to walk around in a sandwich board  Wink.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2040 on: July 04, 2017, 03:44:18 am »

This was a brand new event and rather good, if a little bit warm in the July heat. All of the museum's staff and volunteers seemed really friendly, and one commented on how they (in full Victorian garb) felt pretty normal compared to the various outfits on display. With plenty of steamy activities during the day in addition to the museum's normal fare there was no lack of things to do. Hopefully it will happen again next year, though hopefully with a tweak of timing to avoid falling on the same weekend as the Wales event.

Yours,
Miranda.

Fair
&
Attract..ive?

Nice sign placement, Ms.T.     Wink

I say indeed. it is, if only coincidental. Nice composition, speaking of which, al lighter shade of hair?

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2041 on: July 04, 2017, 10:24:25 pm »

I say indeed. it is, if only coincidental. Nice composition, speaking of which, al lighter shade of hair?

Yes, I though that would work better with the purple of the outfit. The composition of the second one was all down to my youngest - it was her idea to take the piccy from up on the steps. She's a good eye for a photograph, that one.

Yours,
Miranda.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2042 on: July 15, 2017, 12:38:14 am »

Waiting for the speeches to finish at a wedding I was DJing at 2 weeks ago.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2043 on: July 15, 2017, 02:03:56 pm »

Very nice - and is your hat keeping an eye on the guests?  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #2044 on: July 15, 2017, 04:24:24 pm »

That photograph is fantastic; it looks like a magazine editorial!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2045 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:16 pm »

Very nice - and is your hat keeping an eye on the guests?  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.

Indeed.  Comes in handy for a multitude of purposes.  It's an actual surgical glass eye (as is one in one of my rings)

Thanks.  It was by the wedding photographer.  The groom emailed some to me on Thursday

Here are the other two

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2046 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:51 am »

(snip)

The one thing that is dogging me, is the Zouave/Bolero style jacket (either in black, Khaki or navy) when the cape coat is not needed. That seems to me the absolute worst challenge yet to tackle, for some reason.

(snip)

The pattern for a bolero jacket is really simply to sew up, and with a bit of patience could be done by hand. It doesn't need much material either, which could be easily donated by a charity shop purchase.

*snip*

Yours,
Miranda.

I found and have purchased a canvas cropped jacket from a discount domestic department store called "Stein Mart" for $17. I just ordered it  Grin will arrive shortly  Grin

I believe that I can get the following result with minimal complications, namely sewing velvet collars and cuffs and getting new rivet buttons and insignia. I've posted the development in Mr. Josecou's thread:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49038.msg983293.html#msg983293

A couple of pictures from the recent WMSA dinosaur hunt, a truly splendid day of time travel, monstrous reptiles and slight sunburn  Roll Eyes

Looking at these pictures tells me I really need to get a better looking pair of comfortable walking shoes (i.e. ones with a lowish heel) if I'm going to be showing them off as in this outfit. Something with (probably simulated) button-up spats I think. Looks like getting the thinking cap on again...

Yours,
Miranda.

You look splendid, Miranda! But you're right, the shoes are a little "muted."  Why not search in AliExpress for "women's vintage boots"? There are some pretty interesting things out there (though quality control is a 50/50 % proposition)

Any reason not to wear spats with the ones you have on in the picture?

Indeed. Making spats is the easiest way. What about "sock gaiters/spats" ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-Hot-sale-Button-Lace-Women-Leg-Warmers-Knitted-Winter-Boots-Socks-Cuffs-Fashion-Knee/32794226531.html

Or shorter "sock cuffs" ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Women-Winter-Short-Leg-Warmers-Fashion-Button-Crochet-Knit-Boot-Socks-Toppers-Cuffs-Retail-Wholesale/32379572134.html

~~~

I remain at your service,

Adm. J. Wilhelm

Alright. now I AM in the market for new spats/gaiters.  I'm fed up with the poor quality of my current snow/rain boots, and I have decided to wear out the last pair of these:

The reason for choosing these in the first place is that the "duck" style boot looked a bit like a leather spat or gaiter over rubber. Unfortunately the rubber presents a number of challenges. It is not designed to walk often. The rubber will crease and start cracking in the creases. To make matter's worse, the manufacturer switched from genuine suede to fabric (though the fabric did in many ways outperform the suede), but the quality of the rubber went from bad to worse, and after 4 of these pairs I noticed that the lifespan is noticeably shorter on the last model. The cracks happen earlier.

You can temporarily  put a bit of cyanoacrylate in the cracks and clean the glue off to repair the crack. But then another parallel crack will form, until eventually it's impossible to repair the shoe. The average duration of waterproofing for these boots is a paltry 2 months, and the duration of the boot before it develops serious issues at the heel (air chamber collapse and heel breakup) is 3 months. So that does it! No more of these inferior boots! I love the look, but I can't take it any more!

So I had promised on this forum (Queer Geer thread, months ago),  that I'd switch to a more traditional all-leather shoe, which I was lucky to find in the form of a heavy duty work boot. It lacks the panache of the boot above, but the suede is thick, soft, and lusciously tanned (the photo does no justice). The sole plate looks solid (well see  Roll Eyes ). At least for now it looks like a better shoe - give me two more months for a final veredict  Undecided The shoe however is oddly much larger that the boot above (fitting my feet that is) about 1.5 inches larger for the same interior volume. Not crazy about that, but the shoe does look a lot more like traditional German Trachten (Lederhosen) shoes.

Seeing as the boot is now shorter and longer I feel I will need a pair of gaiters to go with it. My colour scheme is an alternating brown/black and since the boot was black at the bottom, and now it's all brown, it stands to reason that the gaiters will be black. Without the gaiters I was looking at wearing a pair black cable-knitted socks instead of the grey. I did end up buying the black ones below:

Any suggestions?

The look to fit is this below, and the black gaiters and/or black knitted socks will substitute the grey socks:

Right click to zoom in

So I'll probably be looking at making a pair of gaiters as well....

JW
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:22:44 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #2047 on: July 19, 2017, 11:17:03 pm »

I just got sent a link to a blog with loads of pictures of the happy couple, the wedding party & their guests
http://ukcelebrant.co.uk/steampunk-wedding/
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2048 on: July 20, 2017, 08:37:24 pm »

(snip)

So I'll probably be looking at making a pair of gaiters as well....

JW

That can be the problem with making an outfit - you keep on spotting more and more things to add to it... But good shoes are a must, so your plan for quality shoes first then fix their look is a prudent choice.

Yours,
Miranda.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2049 on: July 20, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »

Difficulty with uncomfortable shoes has ruined some otherwise impressive costumes.  You are wise to avoid the problem in the next evolution of your outfit..
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 92   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: