The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 01, 2014, 05:19:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't a zombie eat another zombie?  (Read 1096 times)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

Are you positing reproduction through biting?

That would make zombies chronic masticators!

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:54 am »

Well, it works for rabies and the like.

In space, no one can hear you steam.
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 03:01:32 am »

What I'd like to know is why animals don't go after zombies? You'd expect that legions of crows and ravens, if not every other predator in the area (including dogs) would be all over them in an instant. The birds at least ought to render any zombies down to bare bones in a few hours, going by recent studies with buzzards and human corpses.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:06 am »

I think that would depend on how long you can get the zombie to stand still.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 11:39:39 am »

What I'd like to know is why animals don't go after zombies? You'd expect that legions of crows and ravens, if not every other predator in the area (including dogs) would be all over them in an instant. The birds at least ought to render any zombies down to bare bones in a few hours, going by recent studies with buzzards and human corpses.

I guess in the same way people aren't randomly attacked by animals a zombie wouldn't be either for a long time after infection just through general animal fear .by the time the animals would have become feral and gathered in packs and such, they'd have been hunted as food for surviving humans lol. at that point they'd have no desire to be near anything even close to what a human looks like. Aslong as a zombie hasn't laid down for too long they should be free of crows and such just for the fact they're moving about.
Has me wondering how aware animals are of toxic or diseased meat.

Are you positing reproduction through biting?

That would make zombies chronic masticators!
XD very good Mr Harrow lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:47:21 am by GabrielCrimson » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:22 am »

Why doesn't a zombie eat another zombie?

Zombie etiquette..it's just plain rude!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:31 am »

Why doesn't a zombie eat another zombie?

Zombie etiquette..it's just plain rude!

If i had any artistic skill i'd have a t-shirt with a gentleman zombie eating brain all sophisticated and such and a caption above the image saying ''Pinky up''
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »

Has me wondering how aware animals are of toxic or diseased meat.

Two of the most noxious odours known to Man are those of cadaverine and putrescine, the main components of the stench of rotting meat. Speculation: our instinctive revulsion for these compounds is an evolutionary response to the fact that, in the pre-civilization wilds, dead bodies represented either deadlly disease or deadly predators.

I suspect that for most species, rotting corpses will represent either a survival hazard or a source of food, and will rarely, if ever, be a source of indifference. I can't offer any citations, but I seem to recall that scavenger die-off is a recognized harbinger of epidemic infectious disease.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:13:20 pm by von Corax » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »

Although I haven't seen it for years, I vaguely recall the explanation in I think it was "Return of The living Dead" (the only series I've seen where the Zombies specifically ate brains) was that it slowed down the process of decomposition (this was explained by a disembodied Zombies head I believe). Cheesy

As was also stated in Zack Snyder's remake of Romero's "Dawn Of The Dead", Zombies aren't cannibals. They definitely prefer living flesh not that of their own species.

It's interesting isn't it, that what are essentially altered human beings (Vampires, ghouls, Zombies etc) or in the case of "28 Days Later" just really reaaally pissed of people, are often some of the most terrifying monsters on the screen.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »

Its a case of horrors of each decade playing off of current fears. even books like dracula are supposed to in some waas represent sexuality and STIs. Slither kinda following the same idea in the fear of sexuality and disease. The current fear is the fear of avian flus and biological terrorism and such and zombie outbreak movies reflect this along with our knowledge of what another humans hands and teeth are actually capable of if our animal side shines through.
Rockula
Immortal

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:17 pm »

Although I haven't seen it for years, I vaguely recall the explanation in I think it was "Return of The living Dead" (the only series I've seen where the Zombies specifically ate brains) was that it slowed down the process of decomposition (this was explained by a disembodied Zombies head I believe). Cheesy

It was actually that the endorphins reduced the 'pain of being dead' 'cause apparently 'being dead hurts'. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:39 pm »

Well that at least makes some sense.  Cheesy
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »

I have a feeling you're not taking the subject of zombies eating zombies very seriously ....... you'll see .......you'll all see, mwahahahahaha. XD
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Overlord

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 05:18:15 pm »

I have a feeling you're not taking the subject of zombies eating zombies very seriously ....... you'll see .......you'll all see, mwahahahahaha. XD

Well, I for one am certainly trying to make sense of the concept. So, does a zombie know a person is not a zombie because they don't smell? Therefore, would one be able to camouflage oneself by wearing a rotting meat shirt, I wonder?

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 05:28:56 pm »

Well, I for one am certainly trying to make sense of the concept. So, does a zombie know a person is not a zombie because they don't smell? Therefore, would one be able to camouflage oneself by wearing a rotting meat shirt, I wonder?

That was tried in the Walking Dead season 1 (ep 2 or 3??) to retreive a bag o'guns. 2 of the humans smeared pulped zombie over their clothing and went a-wandering among the undead. And IIRC, it worked, at least until it started raining...

So WD zombies are attracted by smell, sight and noise at least. They can also seemingly detect non-zombie movements. YZMV, of course.

Just keep a cricket bat at hand at all times.

Mécanicien de Vapeur.
Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Keep out of direct sunlight. Contains scenes of nudity & mild peril. May cause drowsiness. Suitable for vegetarians. May contain nuts.
"Bother", said Pooh as he chambered another round...
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »

That was tried in the Walking Dead season 1 (ep 2 or 3??) to retreive a bag o'guns. 2 of the humans smeared pulped zombie over their clothing and went a-wandering among the undead. And IIRC, it worked, at least until it started raining...

So WD zombies are attracted by smell, sight and noise at least. They can also seemingly detect non-zombie movements. YZMV, of course.

And in Shaun of the Dead, Shaun and his chums merely acted like zombies to get past the horde outside the pub!

"Just look at the face: it's vacant, with a hint of sadness. Like a drunk who's lost a bet."
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »

Yeah I found that a little unlikely myself, I always figured it would be a combo of smell, body heat and movement. Of course if one could come up with some sort of concoction that could temporarily fool them into thinking each other was alive, that could be useful. Although nigh on impossible to achieve I would imagine, which may be why I've yet to see it used as a plot device.

BTW YZMV? you're just makin em up now!  I'll translate that as "Your Zombie May Vary".  Cheesy
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »

BTW YZMV? you're just makin em up now!  I'll translate that as "Your Zombie May Vary".  Cheesy

Correct. Gold star, that man!  Grin
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »

Toxoplasmosis is a mind control~y parasite that aims to infect warm blooded animals and causes behaviour in whatever it has infected to allow this to happen. Other parasites have ants crawl to the top of grass blades at a time in which they're likely to be eaten. It wouldn't be too much a stretch for a zombie type disease to use small indicators that differentiate between the living and the dead maybe even a smell specific to the parasite itself . There's a fish parasite that has them show shiny side up to be picked up and eaten by birds then pooped out to spread the infection further. they're pretty ingenious in use and recognition of behaviour.
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »

Well there you go, that sounds like a starter for ten to me.
Mécanicien de Vapeur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »

So we should be breeding large populations of carrion-eaters now, as a defence against future zombie risings?? A study is needed to determine optimum size of carrion-eater pack for a given quantity of zombies to guarantee success, given the likely high attrition rate. 

And what if you were up against one of the zombie strains that could affect non-human animals. Wouldn't unleash the hyenas and vultures on those, if I were you.

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Overlord

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:43 pm »

So we should be breeding large populations of carrion-eaters now, as a defence against future zombie risings?? A study is needed to determine optimum size of carrion-eater pack for a given quantity of zombies to guarantee success, given the likely high attrition rate. 

And what if you were up against one of the zombie strains that could affect non-human animals. Wouldn't unleash the hyenas and vultures on those, if I were you.

Ooooohhh that could Go Bad. In more ways than one.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

Ooooohhh that could Go Bad. In more ways than one.

Breed the packs of carrrion eaters, but fit collars with explosive charges to them before release so that if they are infected we can remotely detonate them and save ourselvess from the horror of zombie vultures =P and take out a few zombies. Although I'm sure the RSPCA would not approve and I hate condoning animal cruelty.

Also if zombies can detect body temp as well as smell and movement, then an insulated suit covered in rotting meat (or better still with canisters of rotten smell chemicals- so that if it rains you can release more stench) is the answer surely? I bet someone in the SP community could produce this.

New Etsy Shop!
Flightless Phoenix Designs for hand-made gothic and eccentric jewellery.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FlightlessPhoenix

Forum members can get 10% off by using discount code: BRASSGOGGLES1
GabrielCrimson
Snr. Officer

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »

It could be the lack of certain chemicals given off by living parasites or viruses that could be triggering the feeding frenzy whenever someone living passes, and a suit of meat may not cut it , by the time this is researched and something created to mask the fact you're not an active member of the dead, it could be way down the line anyway when establish societies are setup. At that point it would be for scavenging and hunting and might be too bulky and warm to make these things viable for more than an hour or so before you start over heating in an insulated suit. sorry, i'm really trying to poke holes in surviving XD
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:16 pm »

The rabies virus is supposed to cause hydrophobia in humans, among other symptoms. I suppose this indicates that just like Toxoplasmosis, it is to some extent not just making you sick but controlling your behaviour.
I'd imagine that a virus infected zombie is reverting to a rather primal state, and is attacking people for that reason, simply for meat. However few animals would eat anything that smells rotting I'd say. The zombie might well be walking around, but still be slowly decaying, similar to gangrene. This would keep other zombies from trying to eat it. Though that doesn't explain why they wouldn't just eat the ducks at the park instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: