The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2020, 12:53:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: head in a jar... [FINALLY FINISHED!]  (Read 30086 times)
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

i don't like cogs, gears, goggles or tesla

« on: September 03, 2007, 09:49:16 am »

Finished pictures near the bottom of page 4

wow, i've known about brass goggles for a while now, but i only found the forum a few days ago while it was always right under my nose, and with all these great projects to take inspiration from...

anyway, i made a silicone severed head for a short film a while ago

but after having it sit on my wardrobe for years i want to tart it up a bit, and 'preserving' it in a jar is the idea that keeps getting stuck in my head.  the problem i'm having isn't getting a jar/bottle large enough for the head, its finding a jar with a big enough opening to squeeze the head through.

admitedly, the hairstyle and lack of moustache arent extremely period, but the raw head (below) is quite a good shape for a victorian gentleman i feel, so the hairstyle and facials could be significantly altered if i really felt inclined

well, enough talking, onto the question...

any thoughts on good jar sourcing anyone?

any other ideas that people come up with would be great too- i'm trying as hard as i can to not end up with a futurama style head in a jar, but thats where i keep finding myself.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:13:20 pm by juxtimon » Logged

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:17 am »

We-e-ell, I bought a jar of olives as big as my head the other week (I usually buy them in plastic drums of the same size), so the supermarket may be one place to try >_o Otherwise, you may be able to find a big flour or storage jar in a homewares store which could be appropriate. Otherwise, naturalists/geologists websites may yield good results.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:04:11 pm by Flynn MacCallister » Logged
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:28 am »

If there's a big enough jar with too small opening, you could try cutting a hole in the bottom, insert the head and seal it afterwards.

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)
Gnome
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Oneironaut Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:03:59 am »

You could have a glassblower make a jar to your specifications. If that head is about the size of a normal human head, you'll probably want something about ~11"/~28cm wide and ~17"/~42cm tall, I'd think, but that's just a guess on my part.

Another possibility is to check lab supply outlets for suitably mad-scientist-ish stuff that works in any time frame from 1800 to the present.

If you insist on referring to yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if I start referring to you in the first.
SAVE THE AIR KRAKEN! Join the 11th Greenpeace Airborne division!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:52:25 am »

Now that is a cool decapitated head. You could always try and hook the eyes up with little motion sensors, make them follow you around the room.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
imperialgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:59:24 am »

Heavens, that top picture gave me quite a start!  Shocked It's very lifelike!

I've seen some very large storage jars in the homewears sections of some large department stores.
NazT
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 12:54:39 pm »

Well if I remember right (no guarantees ok) the Hub (one of those stores that sells bulk stuff to companies) had some HUGE pickle jars (and I mean really huge) that would probably work... the only trouble is that you need to be a registered company to buy from them.
Daemon
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 01:27:21 pm »

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/anchor-hocking-69372t-2-gallon-glass-jar-with-cover/55069372.html

This looks about right. (awesome head by the way!)
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:20 pm »

oooh, i wasnt expecting so many replies so fast Smiley thank you everyone!

there're some suggestions definately worth looking into- particulary that 2 gallon biscotti jar (if only it didnt have that knobble on top it would be perfect.)

i'll have to plan a visit to my local wholesaler and supermarket this week to look for vast quantities of foodstuffs (luckily i'm a registered company with macro, so i can buy from them...)

have any of you had any success in cutting glass? its something i've never considered before, but i imagine shouldnt be too difficult, especially if its just removing that knobble from the jar. maybe.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:07:02 pm »

you could use a fish tank and have it so the head is swiming in it
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 08:31:28 pm »

Oh wow..if i found one of them i'd just have to make another "thing"...

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 12:21:11 am »

I mentioned this in another thread and seeing as though you live in the UK, Juxtimon, it may be of some help;
In Liverpool theres an old smelly shop called Jims Emporium which sells old bottles and strange antiquities, I've seen really old jars in there that you could fit your head in, they may have sold though or Jim might have more of them at home.
If coming to Liverpool for a big old jar is a realistic possibility for you, e-mail me and next time I visit Jim I'll see if he has any head-size jars for sale Wink
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:58:49 am by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 12:33:36 am »

he should have a hat on
Offlogic
Officer

It's still not WEIRD ENOUGH!

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:32:17 am »

I've seen some nice tubular "chimneys" for yard lights, might fill the bill (with some silicone sealant) especially if the head was laid on its side.
Dunno, but way cool head. We gotta talk about suppliers of silicone rubber stuff and all. 
The head rawks!

HST: Gonzo but not forgotten
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 03:34:10 am »

I've seen some nice tubular "chimneys" for yard lights, might fill the bill (with some silicone sealant) especially if the head was laid on its side.
Dunno, but way cool head. We gotta talk about suppliers of silicone rubber stuff and all. 
The head rawks!

home depo for the silicone and use the 100% stuff very very good
Offlogic
Officer

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 05:21:01 am »

Crikeys!  i had expected a two-part solution!
Plain old RTV??? Un-heard of!!!!

And another 'kudos', there, old boy!
seetheduckie
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 05:31:47 am »

Dare I ask how you went about making the mold for such a realistic and downright creepy human head?
Offlogic
Officer

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:17 am »

I'll bet it involved plaster tape, vaseline, and a drunk friend, am I right???
Mad Maxine
Zeppelin Captain

I'm the one in the hat.

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 07:03:01 am »

Ha ha! EEEW! It's got a bit of a Miss Moffett feel to it, Dr. Lecter.

It would be kind of funny to place it inside a jar/jug that's got a very narrow neck, so that it looks like it was "grown in place" inside the container. Kind of like those pears in wine bottles. And maybe some lipstick would add a nice touch.
 Wink

Dedicated to the destruction and repair of objects in the name of curiosity.
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 08:34:28 am »

thank you everyone, for your suggestions and compliments Smiley

I mentioned this in another thread and seeing as though you live in the UK, Juxtimon, it may be of some help;
In Liverpool theres an old smelly shop called Jims Emporium which sells old bottles and strange antiquities, I've seen really old jars in there that you could fit your head in, they may have sold though or Jim might have more of them at home.
If coming to Liverpool for a big old jar is a realistic possibility for you, e-mail me and next time I visit Jim I'll see if he has any head-size jars for sale Wink

thank you jinglejoe- i've been to jim's in the past, and if i remember correctly there's another antiquey/junkey old stuff shop on the high street in liverpool... its about time i visited some friends there so a trip to the emporium isnt unrealistic Smiley

The head rawks!

thank you Smiley  chimneys are a nice idea, i had a look at clear pvc piping, but the largest diameter i could find was 230mm which would be a very tight squeeze, but i think i've seen larger than that in chimneys.  the silicone i used was 'dragon skin' by an american company called smooth-on. its semi-transparent and ultra stretchy, perfect for representing skin.  mix it with a small amount of oil paint to get a good colour but still retain some transpareny and 'life'... about 3 kilos of the stuff went into the head because i wanted a really thick wall, but i recon you could get away with just 2kg.

the process went a little like this (extremely simplified version)

1) prepare 'victim', vaseline, bald cap, waterproof sheeting, calming music.
2) make a 2 part life cast of his head, in alginate and plaster bandage
3) make an alginate mould of both ears.  send him/her off to have a shower
4) take a cast from each of the moulds in molten chavant (oil clay/sculping wax), then let it set firm.
5) re-assemble all the casts, resculpt all damaged parts, install glass eyes, sculpt eyelids, resculpt area where bald cap was (its easier if you use an actual bald person) remove eyebrows
6) make a 2 part fiberglass mould of the chavant head, install eyeplugs in the mould  to make the ocular cavities
7) cast silicone into the fiberglass mould, then backfill with 2-part expanding foam.
Cool clean up your raw cast, finish witness lines etc. wash the cast
9) paint subtle details on the cast with a mix of oil paint/naptha/silicone. individually inject every single stubble hair and head hair, then shave/cut them off again.
10) install glass eyes (these were made for a chimpanzee... but they were a relatively close match for humans and had loads of red veining, which doesnt really show in the photo)
11) apply small amounts of crystal clear resin to eyeballs, around lips, to represent welling of tears/drool. then smear with stage blood if you intend it to be scary Tongue

(responsible part)i can give more precise information on any of the above elements/processes if you want, but i feel obliged to say, it can be very dangerous taking life casts of people if you arent familiar with the process or the materials. (/responsible part)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:55:04 am by juxtimon » Logged
Lucas Blackwolf
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 10:42:31 am »

May I add my experience with the severed heads in jars;
We have quite a bit of them in the Anatomy department of our medical faculty, allthough none is as much in "one peace" as this one (they do serve as a learning tool for the internal structures). Oh, and another difference would be that they're real. They are stored in rectengular basins - much like some small fishtanks with appropriately high sides. They are covered with a glass pannel, that is (in most cases) glued to the edge of the "fishtank". Now they certainly don't look as movie like as a round jar would (especially with some electronic gizmos attached on top), but the plus of flat sides would be that they don't mess with the picture (distorting proportions).

I would suggest equiping your canister with some internal lighting as well, so that the whole thing would be shockingly appearent in dark, say flooding in a greenish light.

Oh and by the way, may I say it's a fine piece of a head. I'd really like to have one like this at home. I wonder what it would look like if my friends visited me at home and someone would send them off to the dining room where "my" head in the jar would be waiting on the table ...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:48:34 am by Lucas Blackwolf » Logged
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »

oooh, thanks for the info lucas, maybe a rectangular glass tank would be a lot easier- maybe even with nice dark oak corners/trim... hmmm
is there any chance you could snap a few quick pictures of what a real head tank looks like please? i'm sure it would be tons of help to lots of people on here.

this head is actually based on a cast of my father, so its great for playing tricks on other family members, until they go and warn everyone else in the family Tongue
imperialgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 03:52:51 pm »

is there any chance you could snap a few quick pictures of what a real head tank looks like please? i'm sure it would be tons of help to lots of people on here.

If you do so, I beg you to put the picture behind a spoiler tag or provide a link. I'd love to follow the progress of this fascinating project, but I'm afraid I'm somewhat squeamish about real body parts. My gentleman friend is a dental student, and I'd be quite happy not seeing any more hemisected heads than I already have in his textbooks. Cry
Lucas Blackwolf
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »

Smiley Well there are a few things in the way, but let's see what can be done ...
School year starts for me in october, so untill then it'll be hard to get to the collection (under key), and even than I'll se what I can do, as the major problem is that taking photos is officially highly prohibited ... so far it has not been an issue neither in Louvre, nor in the Roman catacombs  Wink (yes, I'm the guy whom everyone will blame in 2569 that the frescoes aren't as crisp as they used to be once  Embarrassed), perhaps we could snach a few here too (although I wouldn't wish to give you any high hopes). And I'll ask a friend who carried his phone with high-def. camera to our section practice, perhaps he managed to get away with few snaps ...
So if you're not too much in a hurry, I'll se what I can do for you.

I understand that a photo would be desirable, but untill we get one; it's actually quite simple;
I don't think there actually was a case with a whole head - usually they are hemisected, so that the "flat" side leans on a glass panel, that is inside the tank and a little leaned (like if you held half an apple in your open palm and get it almost straight up, just to the point where it doesn't slip off). Also, may I suggest making the face a bit pale, as the formaldehid usually takes it's toll on the colour of the skin.

Another thing came to my mind; in the first half-year (term?) we'll be doing head, so perhaps they'll give us some "compot" pieces as well - if we actually get them it'll be easyer to take photos as asistant sometimes gets out of the section room for a few moments ... but let me encourage you again to finish your work "off limits" since my part might take some time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:51:59 pm by Lucas Blackwolf » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 05:48:31 pm »

I think instead of just a round jar, get a tall fishtank with metal edges. Put rivets on the metal sides and add some kind of green light at the bottom. That should look much more mad scientistesque.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: