The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 28, 2014, 04:18:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone in Terrace, BC?  (Read 350 times)
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« on: February 17, 2012, 01:55:26 am »

So it looks like I'll hopefully be heading back to my hometown of Terrace, BC to visit with Dad over Spring Break (second and third weeks in March), and I was wondering if I should pack my SP outfit. Is there anyone in the area up there? I'd love to hook up with another Steampunker face-to-face and grab a coffee or something, which is something I haven't had the chance to do yet.

I'll be travelling with kids though, probably by train, so I won't bother packing all the Steampunk gear if there's no one around to visit with.

Anyone around?

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Hez
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:01 am »

Hmmm?
Seems to be a bit bereft up there.  However if you are coming to Vancouver sometime do check out the Steamwench's calendar.
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:10:27 am »

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be too much happening outside of the Lower Mainland, alas. :-/ Drat. I really wish we could get the map sorted out so we could put pins into it again (or into regional ones) in the hopes that we might track down others that way.

I cannot believe that I am the only one in my area who is into Steampunk, nor that there are no 'punkers at all in Terrace (which is a good-sized city, these days). In fact, I have talked to a woman in town whose daughter is apparently into it as well, but I guess giving complete strangers your phone number and email and asking them to pass the info along if her (adult) daughter is looking for others is just creepy or something, I don't know. She never contacted me, anyways.

*Sigh* Someday I will get to dress up and go on picnic teas with other Steampunkers. Someday... Meanwhile I guess I'll bring my corset and shirt and vest, but not the skirts; they're far too bulky. I can wear a pair of trousers with them. But if I leave everything behind then I guarantee there will be an event happening that weekend, lol.

Seriously, though? Nobody's in Terrace? Nothing? Sheesh. I'm going to have to do up Brass Goggles business cards or something and start nailing them to the local bulletin boards. Perhaps the local SP-ers simply haven't found these forums yet. But that just seems ludicrous.
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

Well, here I am in Terrace, been here a week and will be here for another, and considering that no one in the craft store really seems aware of Steampunk despite their having some appropriate pendants (and being sold out of brass cephalopods), so if there are any other 'punkers about, they seem to be keeping a low profile, much to my disappointment. Oh, well!

But one of the clerks, after hearing my description of Steampunk, asked the very odd (to me) question, "What's it for?" This I will explore in a longer, independent post, I think, as my son wants to play Minecraft and I have to get ready for a visitor arriving shortly. But the question has me wondering. It also, I think, indicates that the asker is highly unlikely to be involved in any kind of fandom or counter-culture movement at all. Honestly, who hears about stuff like this and asks what it is for? For? It's for fun and entertainment and edification and to bring a little class and-- but that is for another post. Wink I am being nagged.

Tootles!
Captain
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »

Greetings,

I have not found anyone from Prince Rupert to Whitehorse yet.  (If you find anyone please let me know.) There are a few SP here in Juneau but not an organized group to speak of. 

-Karl
Kryss LaBryn
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:53 pm »

I will do! I do have a friend with family in Fort St. John's who goes up to visit them periodically, so there's someone there when he's visiting, at least! I was hoping to maybe get some more recruits if I couldn't find people with an existing interest up here, but so far, no real nibbles.

*Sigh*

Sounds like we'll be moving to Kingston, Ontario soon. Hopefully there's more activity out there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: