The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 18, 2022, 10:01:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: We're moving. Please bookmark brassgoggles.net in case of disruptions with our domain registration.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gramophone MP3 player  (Read 24940 times)
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« on: September 02, 2007, 02:27:48 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen,
I found the continued transportation and assembly of portable speaker systems a source of frustration, and so I aimed to create a portable sound system capable of housing my Mp3 player, and also connecting to my portable thinking engine in order to play sounds at our RPG the Clockwork Opera.

Here it is:

It fits in the palm of your hand.

I took it along and had it signed by gramophone-loving musician Duke Special(www.dukespecial.com)

Here is a look at the mechanism:

I purchased a speaker set from the eBay auction rooms.  Finding such a set with a mechanical volume control was essential (they are mostly digital these days).
I dismantled the speakers and placed them inside a tea-caddy which I purchased for fifty pence.
I found a crank in my box of assorted fixings and attached it to the volume control.
The horn is from an old Car horn that I purchased in a charity shop some years ago.
As you can see, there is just enough space inside to fit a tiny MP3 player.  It may even fit an Ipod nano along the surface.

As I have said, it fits in the palm of the hand and is capable of producing quite a sound!
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

-Herr Dokter, esq.
(of the Clockwork opera)

Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:47:37 pm »

How delightful! I've been waiting for someone to do a mod like this (because it is an absolutely drool-worthy idea) and now my desire to see a portable, mp3-playing gramophone has been sated.

Congratulations on your wonderfully steampunk "speakers". 
imperialgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:14:05 pm »

That's gorgeous! Lovely work! Smiley Such a wonderfully inventive use of a tea caddy!

The only way it would be better would be if the MP3 player could somehow be operated without the need to open the casing, but I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

Anyway, really great job!  Grin
Daemon
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 03:29:58 pm »

Any chance of a video of this?
Jonathan Nightingale Lait
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:49:07 pm »

Thats great,  I want one! How about fitting the speaker so it plays through the horn?

She said "I know you and you cannot sing"
I said "Thats nothing, you should hear me play piano"
blackrider23
Officer

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »

Thats great,  I want one! How about fitting the speaker so it plays through the horn?

I was wondering about that.  The horn on that probably doesn't actually go all the way through though.  But I love the idea.  I may have to borrow some aspects of this.

We’re all as mad as hatters here.
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:31:13 pm »

Many thanks for your enthusiastic comments. 
Daemon, I'm not sure how useful a video would be... it really just sort of sits there. 

As to the horn, my apologies.  I was unable to get a picture of the full workings. 
In fact it is a two-speaker system with one set into the front as can be seen, and a second set into the rear.  The horn does indeed go all the way through, fixed in place with a metal epoxy.  Pleasantly the sound coming from the horn is amplified to be just louder than the front speaker.  When the lid is closed the combined speakers give a wonderfully warm sound.

By far the icing on the cake is the working crank.

-Herr Dokter, esq
(of the Clockwork opera)
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

i would have had the speaker going thour the horn
very nice what is the horn from?
oh and did i say very nice?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:02:39 pm by Sir Theodore Catchpole » Logged
Aren Galet
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:54:10 pm »

Wonderful! 
It's lovely.  Some much more appealing than white plastic. Smiley
Daemon
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 10:59:21 pm »

Many thanks for your enthusiastic comments. 
Daemon, I'm not sure how useful a video would be... it really just sort of sits there. 

Well I mean a quick one showing it in your hand (for scale), showing the innards/workings etc.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 11:01:46 pm »

Do you mind terribly if I were to post about this on the main Brass Goggles site - it's a lovely thing and the extra description about the warmth of the tone through both speakers at once really sets it off in my mind.
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 11:07:13 pm »

Please do...  I'll try and get better photos of the insides.  Do you want higher resolution of the current pics at all?  Anything else you need?

-Herr Dokter, esq.
Keithe
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Minister of Ambiguity, Indeterminacy and Vagueness

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 11:17:12 pm »

Nice work! I like the fact that the crank is used for the volume control.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 11:26:58 pm »

Please do...  I'll try and get better photos of the insides.  Do you want higher resolution of the current pics at all?  Anything else you need?

-Herr Dokter, esq.

everything and the sink that you have in your house
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 02:08:16 am »

if someone offred you money do you think you could make another one?
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 10:11:48 am »

Flattered, sir flattered.  I didn't really clock up the cost of parts etc., as it was a personal project.  The real problem is finding the horn, and looking at the eBay auction room they seem to sell at about £20.  Finding a manual volume control speaker system would be tricky too... it was a coincidence it fitted so well...

In short, a lot more R&D would be needed.  What sort of figure would be realisitic?

In the meantime, I encourage you to try something similar yourself!

-Herr Dokter, esq.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 01:33:18 pm »

The pictures you have seem like they'd serve admirably, I'd probably use the first one.  I usually use images 450 pixels wide, but I can manage slightly smaller.  Thank you.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 04:05:48 pm »

Flattered, sir flattered.  I didn't really clock up the cost of parts etc., as it was a personal project.  The real problem is finding the horn, and looking at the eBay auction room they seem to sell at about £20.  Finding a manual volume control speaker system would be tricky too... it was a coincidence it fitted so well...

In short, a lot more R&D would be needed.  What sort of figure would be realisitic?

In the meantime, I encourage you to try something similar yourself!

-Herr Dokter, esq.

if the horn is £20 and if say you did not care if it had a crank or not then i think if you could do it for a cost of £35 it would not be bad that is still $70 USA so on my end it would be bad . grrrrrrr i hate the exchange rate of our money!
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 05:31:51 pm »

-Herr Dokter, esq.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 07:45:47 pm »

-Herr Dokter, esq.

would you mind if i used this image in an novel advert for the
steampunk news paper magasean what ever thing that is being stated at
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3294.0
anno
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 10:38:26 pm »

Superbly done Herr Dokter.
Herr_Dokter
Gunner

Herr Dokter, esq.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 10:49:48 pm »

Many thanks, Tinker Girl for featuring me! 

I should point out my pigeon-german name spelling.  There is a Herr Doktor on the forum- a true gent, whose spelling is much better than mine.

Thanks again.
I feel proud!

-Herr Dokter, esq.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »

so i was thinking something like haveing words coming out of it and have them saying stuff like top of the line and reall wood and use any mp3 player what do you think?
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 11:08:37 pm »

Herr Dokter,

I don't know how electronics-savvy you are, but one can easily obtain kits, both for general pre-amp and power amps that one can make one's own manual volume control for, and those are fairly cheap (I got two of the preamp kits from outpost.com/Fry's Electronics for about $5 and a 6 W power amp kit made by a company called C's Kits for not more than $5 or so)...

Nice work, BTW.

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:52 am »

This is a fantastic doohickey Herr Dokter, I want one! If you were selling them I'd gladly pay around £40 or 50 for one! (maybe even 60 if I happened to have plentiful amounts of currency at my disposal) You could make them more unique by using a different horn for each one e.g. a modified metal funnel or perhaps a fancy lamp shade painted and used upsidedown to resemble a real gramophone. That would give them an edge; each one being slightly different.
Please do tell us if you do start selling them! Grin

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: