The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 20, 2021, 05:18:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dapper ancestor  (Read 21650 times)
The Baron
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: September 01, 2007, 09:48:58 am »

I was going through some family photographs and I found this image of my great grandfather, Edward, taken around the turn of the twentieth century. I particularly like the mustache.

Does anyone have any similar pictures of their ancestors they'd like to share?
imperialgirl
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »

This is a portrait of my great grandfather, Joseph, painted in 1925.  Smiley It was sent to me by a distant cousin who I found through Facebook, of all places.

I do like how the colour of his tie brings out his eyes.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:51:50 pm by imperialgirl » Logged
hereaftermouse
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:02:01 pm »

This ancestor falls into the category of people I would least want to find hiding in my closet:

And this is Horace who later published a book of humorous poetry and patented the infamous improved paperclip:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:04:08 am by hereaftermouse » Logged
Angus D. Murphy
Zeppelin Captain
France France

Professional Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:46:50 pm »

My great-great-grandfather, Noël:

What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
-Sir Terry Pratchett
Jacob Squirrel
Officer
United States United States

Teller of Good Stories, Maker of Bad Jokes

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 05:20:24 am »

This is my great uncle or something like that, his names Omar, nothing really special about him, this photo is of him and his equally uninteresting friend Harry fooling around with some weird little golden star business that I never quite understood.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:23:07 am by Jacob Squirrel » Logged

"Madness is never to far away."
     -Jim Carrey
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:32:12 am »

My, the forum folks here definitely have some dapper & distinguished ancestors.

Vienna
hereaftermouse
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:50:28 am »

My, the forum folks here definitely have some dapper & distinguished ancestors.

Vienna

I would add frightening, in my case
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:02:57 pm »

The only photo I have of "ancestors" of mine is a very dashing photograph of my grandfather in RAAF uniform, around 1940... but it is the only copy, and I daren't try to take it from its frame and scan it. Because I am feeling left out, I am going to post a random RAAF image from the same time period.

I do not believe that anything earlier exists in our branch of the family.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:43 pm »

Having a feuding family (-a subject which I shall not delve into while online) means that most photographs are not easily obtainable, and those which are, are not in close reach. however I did manage to find an amusing one on the æther:

The small boy is my great great grandfather ^_^

Them/they
Unholypoo
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »

I could have sworn that #15 in TheRedMax's post was Rasputin, at first glance.
TheRedMax
Gunner

Chief Warrant Officer Phineas Parsons

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:04:28 am »

Perhaps. But I certainly wouldn't argue with #21 and #22

"The trouble with these international affairs is they attract foreigners." (Member #77 and fiercely proud of it!)
Insanity
Officer

Baron Von Sasha, The Sasha of All Ages

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 01:38:35 am »

This ancestor falls into the category of people I would least want to find hiding in my closet:

That gave me a good laugh. Thanks for having horrifying ancestors. O_Q

Her Majesty, the King
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:11 am »

Dear Pheobsky,

How fascinating!  I have always liked that picture.  This is the one titled "When did You Last See your Father?".  Correct?  Which gallery is it in?

Vienna
rokkitgurl
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Duchess Lenora Hammerman

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 04:21:28 am »

Please excuse the large size of these photos - i thought it easier to do them as two big images rather than lots of little ones.

My father has, for the past few years, taken up geneology. It keeps him busy in his retirement and to be honest - it is quite exciting dating your family back to, well - back to before america and back before the english civil war! Luckily my family has had the benefit of the camera for a long time as these photos show:

People in the Photos:

1. Stanley J. Cobb (1904-1988)
2. Beatrice Ellen Campfield (1903-2004)
3. Herbert Edward Cobb (1870-1942) (Company Director)
4. Evelyn Emma Arthurton (1872-1952)
5. Robert Walter Campfield (1877-1969)
6. Ellen Mary Drake (1877-1969)
7. James Black (1871-1934) (Wholesale Tea Merchant)
8. Jane Wilson (1873-1934)
9. William Frederick Kerr (1885-1917) (Pre-War Travelling Salesman, Buried at China Wall Cemetery, Ypres)
10. Rose Moore (1885-1976)
11. J. S. Cobb (1839-1879)
12. J. Arthurton (1834-1918)
13. L. R. Wilmott (1852-1901)
14. S. M. Hardy (1847-?)
15. J. Black (1834-?)
16. G. Brown (1835-?)
17. T. Wilson (1837-1916)
18. M. M. McCormick (1838-1912)
19. F. M. Ford (1850-1948)
20. D. Moore (1838-1915)
21. Ellen Stokes (1844-1922)
22. J. S. Cobb (1798-1859)
23. A. Chipper (1810-1861)
24. B. Winch (Painting) (1762-1848) (Would have been alive during the declaration of independence in the US.)

I'd kill to know what my family looked like from back then...
Sadly all of my family history was lost in a pub fire during the US Prohibition...circa 1930
All I really know is that my family came from the West Midlands of the UK and settled in Wisconsin and started in the alcohol business...not stopping until the G-men came and burned the pub...  Angry

My mother's family is a mystery because no one ever recorded anything... The only thing I know is that my great-great-grandfather was a tobacco farmer in North Carolina...

SCHLAMPE! ... Ich liebe dich!
The Baron
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 12:20:12 pm »

Sadly all of my family history was lost in a pub fire during the US Prohibition...circa 1930
All I really know is that my family came from the West Midlands of the UK and settled in Wisconsin and started in the alcohol business...not stopping until the G-men came and burned the pub...  Angry

My mother's family is a mystery because no one ever recorded anything... The only thing I know is that my great-great-grandfather was a tobacco farmer in North Carolina...

Well, you've got some clues there to start some genealogical research. You know your family name, you know of a noteworthy event in 1930. You can go to the library and search old newspapers from the area. There'd be government records - taxes, the business could have been incorporated, so you can find a company certificate of incorporation, military records. Court records (the administration of a will after someone has died can provide a lot of information). Marriage certificates, birth certificates, maybe church baptism registers. Work your way back far enough and you could track down shipping manifests stating the point of departure for your family from Britain.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:30:35 pm by The Baron » Logged
rokkitgurl
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Duchess Lenora Hammerman

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 02:15:22 pm »

Well, you've got some clues there to start some genealogical research. You know your family name, you know of a noteworthy event in 1930. You can go to the library and search old newspapers from the area. There'd be government records - taxes, the business could have been incorporated, so you can find a company certificate of incorporation, military records. Court records (the administration of a will after someone has died can provide a lot of information). Marriage certificates, birth certificates, maybe church baptism registers. Work your way back far enough and you could track down shipping manifests stating the point of departure for your family from Britain.

Yea, that's good info...I just wish more of family wanted to know more...I'm going back to school next semester, so I don't know how much time ive got to put into such an endeavor! We'll see I guess!
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 04:36:34 pm »

Dear Pheobsky,

How fascinating!  I have always liked that picture.  This is the one titled "When did You Last See your Father?".  Correct?  Which gallery is it in?

Vienna

Yes thats the name, I dont know if you know the story behind it; but supposedly the little boy only told the truth. After having his father leave in the morning, the roundheads raided the house to find the father (a prominent cavalier). Upon not finding the father present, the Roundheads proceeded to question the boy as to his whereabouts -as depicted hence the name «When did you last see your father?» -Im not aware of which gallery it is in however Im sure that it should not be too dificult to find out.
oskila
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Robber of graves, watcher of birds, drinker of ale

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 12:57:39 am »

'And when did you last see your father?' 1878
William Frederick Yeames (1835 - 1918)
Oil on canvas, 103 x 251.5cm

'And when did you last see you father', by William Frederick Yeames, is one of the most popular paintings in Walker Art Gallery. It was bought in 1878, only a year after the gallery first opened.

The young boy in the painting was based on Yeames' nephew, James Lambe Yeames (1873 - 1960). He was about five years old when this was painted.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/collections/lastseefather/index.asp

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 12:59:13 am »

Dear Oskila,

thank you very much for the information.

Vienna
Aren Galet
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:40 am »

This is my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather on my mother's side killing my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather on my father's side.

Actually, mother's line comes through both De Bohun and Bruce. Smiley

Yes, yes... I'll put up Victorian pictures next time. Wink
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:18:16 am by Aren Galet » Logged
Duncan Hawthorne
Officer

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 04:12:52 pm »

This is my great grandparents, Robert and Margaret Schlotman with their daughter and her husband's family (my cousins).

this is my great grand uncle Oscar Schlotman at his wedding to Gertrude Agnes Quinn.

My dad has some more family photos and letters that I need to get from him next time I visit.

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 05:18:32 pm »

The young boy in the painting was based on Yeames' nephew, James Lambe Yeames (1873 - 1960). He was about five years old when this was painted.

Interestingly this was not long after coming over from Russia with his siblings to stay with William, as his mother had died & his father was not happy to look after them- also William & his wife (jane workman?) were not able to have children of their own, so it all worked out (too an extent)
Gideon_Trigg
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:23 pm »

Here is a pic of Jonas "Stumpy" Jackson, my great-great-great grandfather and his 2nd wife Martha from the mid 1800s.

Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:10 pm »

Dear Gideon,

Do you know how he got the nickname "Stumpy"?

Vienna
Sydney Granger
Gunner

Boilers and Clockworks, all that's needed to live

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »

How lucky you all are. None of the family that I know of ever had the funds to have their picture made. I am afraid that even if they did, those pictures have long been lost. I do know some genealogy, some quite interesting, most of it rather mundane and boring. However it seems that I do have a convicted murderer somewhere in my past.

Just a steampunk wannabe...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: