The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2019, 12:09:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk con descriptions and travel  (Read 1479 times)
psn1der
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

Repository for general descriptions regarding the various SP events around North America.

There are so many conventions, gatherings, festivities, how do I decide where to go to indulge my steamy interests?  What's worth travelling for?

If you've been to an event, how would you describe it?  Is there more of a focus on one thing vs. another?  

Not a rating system, more of a feel for what different areas do and what you recommend about an event.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:42:01 am by psn1der » Logged
psn1der
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:06 am »

Ok, I'll go first.   Grin

Do I travel cross-country to Steampunk Worlds Fair http://steampunkworldsfair.com/

or

Stay on the west coast and attend Gaslight Gathering http://www.gaslightgathering.org/

They are both in May of this year.  Pros:  I live on the west coast, but I "know" more people from BG on the east coast.  Cons: see Pros

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:42:38 am by psn1der » Logged
BB BlackDog
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

Anomaly con in Denver, 24th March, and Nightmare machine on 31st March in Jeferson Texas.
We're making the trip via flying machine over the great Atlantic to entertain the fine ladies and gentlemen at both.

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
psn1der
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:47 pm »

Anomaly con in Denver, 24th March, and Nightmare machine on 31st March in Jeferson Texas.
We're making the trip via flying machine over the great Atlantic to entertain the fine ladies and gentlemen at both.

Not sure that is helping, BB, but I'll check these out, too.  Thanks.
artvixn
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

I offer a few salient points about Steamcon IV in October in Bellevue Washington to entice you to travel:

1.  We are expecting between 2,700 - 3,000 attendees, possibly more.
2.  Steamcon is held in October, so steampunk attire is an appropriate weight.
3.  Our spacious hotel is lovely and well located in the midst of lots of food venues, shopping and other amenities.  Each room has it's own mini fridge. 
4.  We are going on our fourth year and our first Author Guest of Honor, Tim Powers told us that the first year went so smoothly that he thought it was our fifteenth year.
5.  We have a fabulous High Tea and we have begun a Sunday Wayfarer's Brunch as well.
6.  We host the prestigious Airship Awards Banquet.
7.  We have music throughout the weekend and on Saturday, there is a ball  and a great concert.
8.  We have a wonderful Art Exhibition and a huge Merchants Room as well as an Artists' Alley. 
9.  Each year we come up with a theme that gives people an opportunity look at steampunk concepts with a slightly different focus.  In 2010 we had "The Weird Weird West", then in 2011 we had "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and this year we are presenting "Victorian Monsters" as our theme.
10.  In many ways we strive to give attendees a different convention each year, by changing the topics and speakers and seeking out interesting guests.   We were the first steampunk convention to host K.W. Jeter, the man who coined the term "steampunk". 

Take a look at the photo pool from last year.  http://www.flickr.com/groups/steamcon_3/

I think we have a lot to offer anyone willing to travel, if I dare say so myself.

~ artvixn

"Steampunk needs historical accuracy like a dirigible needs a goldfish" `Diana Vick
psn1der
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »

Yay!  Thanks, Artvixn.

I wouldn't have thought about the weather vs steampunk attire.  Good point.

Checking this out, too.
artvixn
Officer

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:18 pm »

You are quite welcome.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I hadn't thought about what people might not know in order to make more informed choices.  I hope I helped!
psn1der
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »

Yes, who knows what we might not know?  Grin
Shelley
Officer

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:39 am »

I can highly recommend Steamcon, having traveled from CA to WA attend the last 2 years.  Always lots of interesting panels and things to do. 

In San Jose, CA on Memorial day weekend, there is a new convention "Clockwork Alchemy".  We are a steampunk convention in association with Fanime, a very large Anime convention.  Though held in a separate venue, the same badge gets you into both conventions.  There will be a 24 hr. shuttle running between the 2 venues.  Check out our website, www.clockworkalchemy.com for more information.
psn1der
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

Hi, Shelley.  I was looking at the Clockwork Alchemy information just yesterday.  I'm not big into anime (never really been my thing  Grin ), so would there be enough events just on the steampunk side for someone like me?

What was your favorite part of Steamcon?

Alexander Watt Babbage
Swab

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:28 pm »

My understanding from discussions with the organizers of Clockwork Alchemy is that these are really two complete separate conventions sharing a weekend and a ticket.  They are actually in nearby, but separate locations.  The Fanime will be in the San Jose Convention Center, and CA will be in a very large nearby hotel.  There will be LOTS of Steampunk content.  All of the Steampunks in Northern California who were dissappointed when Nova Albion III was cancelled will be at CA with brass bells on!  Check the CA website for more information:  http://www.clockworkalchemy.com/
psn1der
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Babbage.  This is good information.  I've not been to a large event and all the information can be intimidating.  As with travelling anywhere, personal descriptions or reccommendations are the best!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: